Military Tech / Science

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Holman

Re: Military Tech / Science

Post by Holman »

Kasey Chang wrote:Other than the Russian equivalent Sukhoi Su-25 Frogfoot, and even that's not an exact matchup, there really isn't anything similar to the A-10 for close air support.

US military is interesting in that it has a lot of niche weapons that nobody else in the world wanted to copy. Nobody copied the AC-130 either. It's a very unique American weapon system.
That's interesting. Of course nobody else was really fighting American-style wars, at least not with with budgets that allowed for American-style air forces.

The AC-130 is useless for anyone who doesn't have 100% air superiority. The Russians could have used them in Afghanistan, but they already had tactical bombers and no scruples about napalm or cluster bombs.

The A-10's original job was to kill hordes of Soviet tanks crossing the West German border. The Russians didn't build one because they expected the U.S. to have air superiority while their tanks did that thing. Plus they considered killing tanks from the air to be a helicopter's job, which is why they have the Hind (and also why it resembles an A-10 more than it resembles an AH-64).
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Plus they considered killing tanks from the air to be a helicopter's job, which is why they have the Hind (and also why it resembles an A-10 more than it resembles an AH-64).
Pretty sure you mean the Havoc. Hind is a hybrid gunship/transport. and can carry a demi-squad in addition to the load of weapons.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Holman

Post by Holman »

Kasey Chang wrote:
Plus they considered killing tanks from the air to be a helicopter's job, which is why they have the Hind (and also why it resembles an A-10 more than it resembles an AH-64).
Pretty sure you mean the Havoc. Hind is a hybrid gunship/transport. and can carry a demi-squad in addition to the load of weapons.
The Havoc came later. The Hind can carry troops, but it was also meant to be something of a tank-killer with its antitank missiles. It was basically a flying IFV. Unlike a Huey, which could be configured as a troop carrier OR a gunship, the Hind was both at the same time.

All of this was in an 80's context, of course. Later is later.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

It's interesting to note that in the 80's Soviet design diverged from the US ones in helo as well.

Before mobile air defense got good (ZSU-33/4, 2S6, etc.) US helo doctrine was like line up a column of AH-1 Cobras in a vertical echelon so they can plow the line with rockets. And TOW wasn't for firing behind a treeline. You need lock-on-after-fire to do that, and that means laser guidance of Hellfires. I am less familiar with Soviet missiles (Thanks to playing too much Gunship and Gunship 2000) but I don't think Warsaw Pact ever did develope a good copy of the Hellfire, but then, Soviet doctrine always used helos as mobile AFV, whereas American doctrine use gunships as mobile AT reserves and battlefield scout.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
xwraith

Post by xwraith »

Russian source, but a glimpse of what they want us to see regarding their task force ops off of Syria

Funny how they don't show any Mig-29s....
I forgot to call it "a box of pure malevolent evil, a purveyor of
insidious insanity, an eldritch manifestation that would make Bill
Gates let out a low whistle of admiration," but it's all those, too.
-- David Gerard, Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wikitext grammar, 2010.08.06
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ya but an A-10 isn't a rich man's toy. Its more a blue collar budget toy. And i love them. Im SO happy they are keeping them.

Also this news on the Zumwalt

Seems she has suffered an engineering malfunction in the Panama Canal. Im starting to wonder about all these US Navy problems at the canal.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Hypersonic cruise missiles
The [U.S. Air Force] has teamed with the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, or DARPA — the Pentagon’s research arm — to fund development of the technology as part of the Hypersonic Air-breathing Weapon Concept program, or HAWC.

The agency in recent weeks awarded Raytheon Co., the world’s largest missile maker, and Lockheed Martin Corp., the world’s largest defense contractor, with contracts valued at roughly $170 million a piece to help develop the air-launched hypersonic weapons.
The Air Force wants to build on its research from previous efforts. In 2013, the service conducted its fourth and longest flight of the so-called X-51 WaveRider. After separating from a rocket launched beneath the wing of a B-52 bomber, the hypersonic vehicle built by Boeing Co. climbed to 60,000 feet, accelerated to Mach 5.1 and flew for about three and a half minutes before running out of fuel and plunging into the Pacific Ocean.

The WaveRider program, which had a couple of failed tests, came several years after a similar NASA effort called the X-43, which in 2004 shattered speed records when it flew at nearly Mach 9.7, or about 6,600 miles per hour, for 10 seconds. But the engine couldn’t withstand the temperatures involved.

Other companies such as the British defense giant BAE Systems and other countries such as China and Russia are also working to develop hypersonic cruise missiles and similar technology.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

We won't be happy until we can teleport small explosive devices directly into people's heads.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im going to add this right here

Driverless police superbikes. Pretty cool. Makes me think of the ones in Terminator though hahaha. But really what good are they?

Enlarge Image
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Daehawk wrote:Im going to add this right here

Driverless police superbikes. Pretty cool. Makes me think of the ones in Terminator though hahaha. But really what good are they?

Enlarge Image
Well at first I assume that if any criminal that is approached by this will stop what they are doing just to gawk at the coolness...

But the artice seems to indicate that it will be used for traffic/parking violations mostly and also as a general patrol vehicle.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

A lot can be done after the fact with video and images, but it can be hard to get it there fast enough to matter. If police response is slow, send in a bike and get a few shots of the criminals - make & model of their car, physical descriptions - something more to work with than "We don't really know - maybe a blue sedan?" - heck, it could even tail a suspect's car until a patrol car shows up.
Black Lives Matter

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I wonder how it gets up if tipped over.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Daehawk wrote:I wonder how it gets up if tipped over.
It doesn't. It only exists as a concept, not as actual tech.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

UPI
The U.S. Air Force has selected Raytheon to develop and produce new mission computers for the F-16 fighter aircraft.

Under the contract, the company will develop the new Modular Mission Computer Upgrade, which Raytheon says offers two times the processing power and 40 times the current memory as existing F-16 mission computers.
The Modular Mission Computer Upgrade, or MMCU, combines multicore processing, high-speed computing and data networks with cybersecurity capabilities. Raytheon says the computer makes the legacy F-16 aircraft a more capable fighter alongside more modern variants.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Carrier-killer killer
The U.S. Navy and the U.S. Missile Defense Agency successfully launched a salvo of two Raytheon Standard SM-6 Dual I missiles against a medium-range ballistic missile target earlier this week. USS John Paul Jones (DDG-53)—an Arleigh Burke-class Aegis destroyer—conducted the test shortly after midnight on Dec. 14 to demonstrate a Sea Based Terminal endo-atmospheric defensive capability.
During the test, John Paul Jones—which is fitted with the latest Baseline 9.C1 version of the Aegis combat system—engaged a “complex medium-range ballistic missile target.” That suggests that the target was representative of a maneuvering incoming warhead similar to the ones mounted on the Chinese DF-21D or DF-26 anti-ship ballistic missiles.

If MDA test was indeed representative of a DF-21D or DF-26 type threat, it would help to explain why the U.S. Navy is so confident of its ability to operate inside those weapons’ threat rings. Earlier this year, I directly asked the U.S. Navy’s Chief of Naval Operations, Adm. John Richardson, if he was confident in the ability of the aircraft carrier and its air wing to fight inside an A2/AD zone protected by anti-ship cruise and ballistic missiles as well as advanced air defenses. Richardson’s unequivocal answer was: “Yes.”

The MDA also revealed an interesting fact about the SM-6 missile. Unlike other ballistic missile interceptors, the SM-6 uses an explosive warhead to defeat ballistic missile threats. Other missile defense interceptors—such as the Raytheon Standard SM-3—use kinetic-energy hit-to-kill technology. The explosive warhead is likely required for the missile’s multi-mission capability.
In addition to countering air threat, it has been adapted for ballistic missile defense and as a long-range anti-ship weapon. Earlier this year, John Paul Jones sank the decommissioned Oliver Hazard Perry-class frigate USS Reuben James (FFG 57) with a SM-6 missile. “This test event demonstrated Raytheon's decades of continued technological development and partnership with the U.S. Navy,” said Dr. Taylor Lawrence, president of Raytheon’s missile systems division, in a statement released on March 7. “The ability to leverage the Standard Missile Family and the legacy AWS [Aegis Weapon System] in newly fielded systems brings additional warfighting capability to the U.S. Fleet.”
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

New Hawkeye
Earlier this month, the first Northrop Grumman E-2D Advanced Hawkeye airborne early warning aircraft equipped with aerial refueling capability made its first flight.
The E-2D is the Navy’s primary means of defending against low-observable cruise missiles, ballistic missiles and enemy aircraft. And, indeed, given the capabilities of its UHF-band radar, the E-2D may be the Navy’s trump card against future Russian and Chinese stealth aircraft.

The E-2D’s Lockheed Martin AN/APY-9 UHF-band radar is the central feature of the Advanced Hawkeye.
UHF-band radars operate at frequencies between 300 MHz and one GHz, which results in wavelengths that are between 10 centimeters and one meter long. Typically, due to the physical characteristics of fighter-sized stealth aircraft, they must be optimized to defeat higher frequencies in the Ka, Ku, X, C and parts of the S-bands.

There is a resonance effect that occurs when a feature on an aircraft — such as a tail-fin tip — is less than eight times the size of a particular frequency wavelength. That omnidirectional resonance effect produces a “step change” in an aircraft’s radar cross-section.

Effectively, what that means is that small stealth aircraft that do not have the size or weight allowances for two feet or more of radar absorbent material coatings on every surface are forced to make trades as to which frequency bands they are optimized for.
Only very large stealth aircraft without protruding empennage surfaces — like the Northrop Grumman B-2 Spirit or the forthcoming Long Range Strike Bomber — can meet the requirement for geometrical optics regime scattering.

Effectively, that means the E-2D’s AN/APY-9 radar can see stealth aircraft like the J-20 or J-31.

Pentagon and industry officials concede that low-frequency radars operating in the VHF and UHF bands can detect and even track low-observable aircraft — that’s just physics. But conventional wisdom has always held that such systems cannot generate a “weapons-quality” track — or in other words, are unable to guide a missile onto a target.
However, electronic scanning and new signal processing techniques have mitigated those shortcomings to an extent. And there are other techniques in development, such as linking multiple low-frequency radars via high-speed data links, which might enable those radars to generate weapons-quality tracks. But industry officials say those technologies are not ready for prime time.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Creepy target robots
To add some extra realism to infantry combat training, the Pentagon has acquired from Australia’s Marathon Targets a small army of four-wheeled robots that have some eerie abilities — not to mention looks.
When one ’bot goes down in a hail of gunfire, the others can respond by heading for cover or regrouping for a counter-attack. No joystick required.

A Dec. 28, 2016 video from the U.S. Air Force’s 27th Special Operations Wing at Cannon Air Force Base in New Mexico shows these robo-targets on the move while soldiers shoot at them. The machines roll toward the soldiers and zip from cover while moving laterally — making them harder to hit.

The GPS-equipped machines can travel at eight miles per hour, around the average jogging speed for a male. A laser guidance system helps them move around obstacles. Sensors can determine whether a shot is a “kill” or not, and the mannequins have enough armor to stop 7.62-millimeter rounds.

Holman

Post by Holman »

If the linked video is supposed to sell the idea that the robots are smart and use cover, it's not working.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

There likely isn't any natural cover within fifty miles of that location.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Isgrimnur wrote:There likely isn't any natural cover within fifty miles of that location.
That's what I mean.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:D Gotcha.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

When the Army went Mad Max

Past technology, but interesting.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Holman

Post by Holman »

Grifman wrote:When the Army went Mad Max

Past technology, but interesting.
Enlarge Image

"You drive."
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Holman wrote: "You drive."
Definitely!
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I'm calling shotgun!

Enlarge Image

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Howitzer is more like it. ..
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
xwraith

Post by xwraith »

This is a little freaky
I forgot to call it "a box of pure malevolent evil, a purveyor of
insidious insanity, an eldritch manifestation that would make Bill
Gates let out a low whistle of admiration," but it's all those, too.
-- David Gerard, Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wikitext grammar, 2010.08.06
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Holman

Post by Holman »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CIA declassified documents
The CIA has put almost 12 million pages of its records online, allowing anyone with an internet connection to browse 50 years worth of declassified intelligence reports, briefings, and other once-secret documents. Included in the database are US discussions about assassinating Fidel Castro, details of Nazi war crimes, reports of UFO sightings, and a study into human telepathy dubbed "Project Star Gate."

Then-president Bill Clinton ordered the CIA to declassify secret documents that were more than 25 years old and of "historical value" in 1995, but the Agency didn't make the archives searchable until 2000. Even then, the documents — which cover a period from the 1940s to the 1990s — were only accessible from four computers at the US National Archives in College Park, Maryland, and only between the hours of 9AM and 4:30PM.
Not all documents from the 50-year-period have been declassified, but Joseph Lambert, the CIA's director of information management, told BuzzFeed that no documents were reclassified prior to CREST's online appearance. Even a cursory scan of the database can pull up some lurid reading: as well as accounts of world-changing events like the Bay of Pigs invasion or the Cuban Missile Crisis, there are also internal CIA documents detailing clandestine projects like the controversial MK Ultra.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Boston Dynamics wheeled robot

Some leaked footage of a cool 2 wheeled robot. Plus theres another vid there with a very small and light looking dog type one.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LCS-4 Coronado
The embarked crew of the littoral combat ship Coronado, forward deployed to Singapore, was supposed to be home for Thanksgiving after a four- or five-month tour. But now the crew has been on board and overseas for eight months and there is no end in sight.

About 70 sailors compose Crew 204, which deployed in June for the Rim of the Pacific exercise and to replace the LCS Fort Worth at Changi Naval Base. But once the Coronado and her crew arrived in Singapore, the Navy’s top Surface Warfare Officer announced a sweeping overhaul to the LCS program's training standards that was spurred by a string of accidents, some of which were caused by crew errors.

The shakeup has delayed getting the Coronado's replacement crew qualified and could extend the ship's deployment length to as long as a year, according to two family members who spoke to Navy Times. That would be one of the longest Navy deployments in decades. The fact that nobody knows exactly when it will end has eroded crew morale and put an enormous strain on families.
A main factor driving Crew 204's open-ended deployment is the delay in getting a new crew qualified to replace them after a change in training standards. Qualifying under the new training standards requires some underway time. And to get underway, the crew, which will be Crew 203, needs a ship and for now all the trimaran LCS-2 variant ships are either in overhaul or undergoing repairs.

Officials told Navy Times that the replacement crew should be training on the LCS Independence, but that ship is in need of engine repairs and is not immediately available.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

xwraith wrote:This is a little freaky
The sound of all those drones working in unison could come straight out of a horror movie. Damn! That's a potent weapon in and of itself.
Black Lives Matter

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Russian military admits significant cyber-war effort
Russia's military has admitted for the first time the scale of its information warfare effort, saying it was significantly expanded post-Cold War.

Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu said that Russian "information troops" were involved in "intelligent, effective propaganda", but he did not reveal details about the team or its targets.

The admission follows repeated allegations of cyberattacks against Western nations by the Russian state.

Nato is reported to be a top target.

During the Cold War both the USSR and the West poured resources into propaganda, to influence public opinion globally and sell their competing ideologies.

Speaking to Russian MPs, Mr Shoigu said "we have information troops who are much more effective and stronger than the former 'counter-propaganda' section".

Keir Giles, an expert on the Russian military at the Chatham House think-tank, has warned that Russian "information warfare" occupies a wider sphere than the current Western focus on "cyber warriors" and hackers.

"The aim is to control information in whatever form it takes," he wrote in a Nato report called "The Next Phase of Russian Information Warfare".

"Unlike in Soviet times, disinformation from Moscow is primarily not selling Russia as an idea, or the Russian model as one to emulate.

"In addition, it is often not even seeking to be believed. Instead, it has as one aim undermining the notion of objective truth and reporting being possible at all," he wrote.

Russia has been testing Nato in various ways, including targeting individual soldiers via their social media profiles, Mr Giles told the BBC.

"They have been reaching out to individuals and targeting them as if it comes from a trusted source," he said.

There have been reports of Russian information attacks targeting Nato troops in the Baltic states, the Polish military, and Ukrainian troops fighting pro-Russian rebels.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If it leaks, we can kill it:
The U.S. Air Force has announced that it is officially moving to retire the MQ-1 Predator drone in early 2018 with the newer MQ-9 Reaper drone to better address its combat needs. The Predator has served as both a vital tool for the U.S. troops and symbol of modern warfare itself, but the drone—and how it was used—drew more than its share of controversy.

While replacement of the MQ-1 with the MQ-9 has been mulled for some time now, this week Air Force officials announced at least one attack squadron will stop flying the MQ-1 as soon as July, with the goal of full service-wide transition by next year.
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

Another drawback is that its highest altitude is 25,000 miles and caps off at 84 mph.
Of course, it takes 12 days flying straight up to reach that altitude. Not bad for a prop plane!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Fretmute wrote:
Another drawback is that its highest altitude is 25,000 miles and caps off at 84 mph.
Of course, it takes 12 days flying straight up to reach that altitude. Not bad for a prop plane!
To the moon in 120 days! :horse:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Huh because of it's looks I always assumed the Predator was a jet. Never saw the prop on it.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I wonder if the political climate has shifted enough to revisit the idea of drones with nuclear power plants. Someone should fire off a tweet to Trump and see what he thinks of the idea.