"Scary" book recommendation

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Remus West

"Scary" book recommendation

Post by Remus West »

The horror book request made me think of this but I need a different level of scary. My 11 year old niece asked for a scary book for her birthday. I have no idea what type of book would be both scary and age appropriate. My sister said she does not like Goosebumps which were my only idea. Anyone have a suggestion?
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Paingod

Re: "Scary" book recommendation

Post by Paingod »

What kind of writing does she actually like - what kind of person is she?

I mean - technically, Lovecraft doesn't really contain themes that are objectionable so it might be okay for her; but it's old school stuff and you've got to have some amount of patience and interest in it. Depending on the child, 11 might be an okay age, or it might go right over her head.

Maybe a little google searching (not being a dink - it's the best I can offer as I don't have any kids this age)? These might jar someone else's 'suggestion' library loose.

"Youth horror"
http://www.connectedyouth.org/books/ind ... ist=horror" target="_blank

"Horror for kids"
http://www.roberthood.net/scribbls/children.htm" target="_blank
- Includes the original classics like Frankenstien, Dracula, Dr. Jekyl & Mr. Hyde, Lord of the Flies

"Scary books for kids"
http://www.monsterlibrarian.com/horrorfictionlistkd.htm" target="_blank
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

This edition of Poe illustrated by Gris Grimly
http://www.amazon.com/Edgar-Allan-Tales ... 0689848374" target="_blank
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

At her age I loved the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark series.

They have some really fantastic (and really scary) illustrations, and the stories have enough edge to seem scary to kids without being inappropriate.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

YK's suggestion was my other thought as well. The pictures still freak me out, but the stories aren't too bad.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

You cannot go wrong with The Scary Stories Treasury by Alvin Schwartz, which contains three volumes of some of the very best urban legend/folklore-style scary short stories ever written. The original edition, that was illustrated by Stephen Gammell, is well worth tracking down (there was a rereleased edition with a different illustrator that was nowhere near as good as Gammell's artwork).

EDIT: YK beat me to the punch. The treasury is basically a collection of all of Schwartz's books.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

Dude, quit asking here and go find out for yourself!

:P
Name the 3 branches of the US Government: "Judicial, legislative....I can twerk"
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I’ll recommend Coraline by Neil Gaiman. The atmosphere is superbly creepy even for older audiences.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Coraline or Gaiman's Graveyard Book are great choices.

Also this:

Absolutely brilliant prose from Connolly.
"It's my manner, sir. It looks insubordinate, but it isn't, really."
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:Image

You cannot go wrong with The Scary Stories Treasury by Alvin Schwartz, which contains three volumes of some of the very best urban legend/folklore-style scary short stories ever written. The original edition, that was illustrated by Stephen Gammell, is well worth tracking down (there was a rereleased edition with a different illustrator that was nowhere near as good as Gammell's artwork).

EDIT: YK beat me to the punch. The treasury is basically a collection of all of Schwartz's books.
Just thought you all should know that the publisher has stopped printing the version with Gammell's artwork -- as reported here. Wish I still had my copy - I remember this book quite clearly from my childhood.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

That's just sad. I never owned one of the books as a child, but I sure remember reading them.

I did pick up a copy of... I think More Scary Stories to Tell In the Dark at a garage sale some years back. Not because I wanted to read it again, but for the art.
wot?

Jag

Post by Jag »

Enlarge Image
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:48 pm At her age I loved the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark series.
Now, a movie:

Each ticket comes with 10 free hours of therapy.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Lordnine wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:08 pm I’ll recommend Coraline by Neil Gaiman. The atmosphere is superbly creepy even for older audiences.
Pretty sure at least one of my daughters read that. It is also a movie I think.

My older daughter remembers being traumatized by the Childrens Classic versions of Edgar Allen Poe stories.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Scuzz wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:36 pm
Lordnine wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:08 pm I’ll recommend Coraline by Neil Gaiman. The atmosphere is superbly creepy even for older audiences.
Pretty sure at least one of my daughters read that. It is also a movie I think.

My older daughter remembers being traumatized by the Childrens Classic versions of Edgar Allen Poe stories.
Coraline Movie and Book are both great.

One I loved as a child was The House with a Clock in its Walls. Heard the movie was so-so, so I'm waiting for one of my streaming services to show it.

[bigimg]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91EzVF70ZzL.jpg[/bigimg]

Clive Barker wrote a pretty decent kids book called The Thief of Always, but it may be a bit dark for her at 11.

[bigimg]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/516ocdfbmSL.jpg[/bigimg]
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:36 pm Clive Barker wrote a pretty decent kids book called The Thief of Always, but it may be a bit dark for her at 11.
Considering she'd be 19 by now, I'm guessing she'd be OK with it. ;)
That's my purse! I don't know you!
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

At that age I was enjoying a Twilight Zone series of books.
Not sure if they're available now a days.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949