I need a hat.

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

I need a hat.

Post by Blackhawk »

I don't wear ball caps, and wouldn't touch a cowboy hat with a ten foot pole.

I wear a tan boonie hat when I go stomping around in the woods or spend time in the bright sun. Unfortunately, it looks silly with anything I wear the rest of the year.

So, I need a hat. I want something with a brim so I can keep the rain out of my eyes when I walk down to the store or have to stand outside the school picking my kids up.

I have absolutely zero fashion sense. I am, therefore, here, asking the more sensible multitudes what I can get away with wearing that is neither overly mockable nor presumptuous.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
dbt1949

Re: I need a hat.

Post by dbt1949 »

I have a Greek fisherman's hat that is black. Looks kool and I get lots of compliments on it.

Enlarge Image
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jungle hunters hat (not the pith kind)? Scottsman/Paperboy hat? Revolutionary War hat? Bowlers hat? Boater's Hat? Civil War hat? And of course the sombrero?

I'd love to be hat wearer but I look ridiculous in anything other than a baseball cap turned around backwards. Then I just look like someone stuck in the late 80s/early 90s, which is an acceptable look for me and fits with my usual creepy-old-out-of-touch-old-dude-trying-to-be-hip-but-isn't vibe.

How many years before I'm old enough to get to wear nylon plaid pants and bright colored blazer?
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Maybe a pork pie hat?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

LordMortis wrote:Jungle hunters hat (not the pith kind)? Scottsman/Paperboy hat? Revolutionary War hat? Bowlers hat? Boater's Hat? Civil War hat? And of course the sombrero?
I do believe I still have a tricorn in a box somewhere from my buckskinning days. ;)

How are wide brimmed gray fedoras these days?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Blackhawk wrote:I am, therefore, here, asking the more sensible multitudes what I can get away with wearing that is neither overly mockable nor presumptuous.
Pretty hard to do with a hat that isn't a ball cap. Pretty much you just have to just find one that you're comfortable wearing and everyone else be damned.

If it's rain you're worried about, maybe a nice umbrella?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Only the really cool people wear a Deerslayer
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Alpine.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
tru1cy

I need a hat.

Post by tru1cy »

Kangol.
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:I am, therefore, here, asking the more sensible multitudes what I can get away with wearing that is neither overly mockable nor presumptuous.
Pretty hard to do with a hat that isn't a ball cap. Pretty much you just have to just find one that you're comfortable wearing and everyone else be damned.

If it's rain you're worried about, maybe a nice umbrella?
A hat IS an umbrella.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

A cadet cap is a slightly more palatable alternative to a ball or trucker cap. You can get a really plain one that doesn't call attention to itself at all.

What I wear most is a flat cap (more streamlined than a newsboy). I have a few of them, but my favorite for winter is a patchwork corduroy one with fold-out earflaps. These also get called a driving or ivy cap.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The reason that I prefer a full brimmed hat is that I hate having to take my glasses off when it rains. With a brim I can keep them dry. With a bill, I can't.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Blackhawk wrote: A hat IS an umbrella.
Your shoulders are like "WTF, Blackhawk?" :cry:
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Odin

Post by Odin »

I have an Indiana Jones hat (brown felt fedora) that I wear in the fall and winter and I'm pretty happy with it. I don't think I get funny looks, but as I don't really give a crap I don't pay too much attention. The rain beads right off it, and I can basically roll it up and stick it in my pocket if needed, with no harm done.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

Blackhawk wrote:The reason that I prefer a full brimmed hat is that I hate having to take my glasses off when it rains. With a brim I can keep them dry. With a bill, I can't.
Ok. Maybe I just don't notice my glasses getting wet.

For styles, properly, a porkpie has a very narrow brim, a fedora a very broad one, and a trilby is in-between. A lot of brimmed hats are just marketed as fedoras because it's a recognizable name.

I think nobody ought to mock your hat because you're not in junior high, even though you are in a small town. But getting a casual fabric like corduroy might work better for you than a tweed.

It is never pretentious to wear a hat to keep the rain out of your eyes.

Edit:
http://woopitydooart.blogspot.com/2009/ ... -your.html" target="_blank
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
funnygirl

Post by funnygirl »

An Aussie Breezer. Not as pretentious as a snap brim or slouch. Very functional and fairly attractive. Reasonably priced ones can be found.
Black Lives Matter
ChaoZ

Post by ChaoZ »

Get yourself a Tilley
They last a very long time plus they're insured against loss (well, they give you 50% off your next hat).

Not cheap though.
funnygirl

Post by funnygirl »

ChaoZ wrote:Get yourself a Tilley
They last a very long time plus they're insured against loss (well, they give you 50% off your next hat).

Not cheap though.
They are, indeed, very good hats.
Black Lives Matter
Two Sheds

Post by Two Sheds »

ChaoZ wrote:Get yourself a Tilley

Not cheap though.
I have one for hiking/backpacking. Very good hat.
Famine and death and pestilence and war-
I'm pretty sure I heard this one before
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Odin wrote:I have an Indiana Jones hat (brown felt fedora) that I wear in the fall and winter and I'm pretty happy with it. I don't think I get funny looks, but as I don't really give a crap I don't pay too much attention. The rain beads right off it, and I can basically roll it up and stick it in my pocket if needed, with no harm done.

+1
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Officially licensed, no less. Out of stock for Large and X Large, of course
Odin

Post by Odin »

Isgrimnur wrote:Officially licensed, no less. Out of stock for Large and X Large, of course
That actually sounds very similar to but nicer than the one I have.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

dbt1949 wrote:
Odin wrote:I have an Indiana Jones hat (brown felt fedora) that I wear in the fall and winter and I'm pretty happy with it. I don't think I get funny looks, but as I don't really give a crap I don't pay too much attention. The rain beads right off it, and I can basically roll it up and stick it in my pocket if needed, with no harm done.

+1
That sounds a lot like what I'm considering, although I'm thinking gray rather than brown.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Blackhawk wrote:
dbt1949 wrote:

+1
That sounds a lot like what I'm considering, although I'm thinking gray rather than brown.
Then you would be looking for a Fur Felt Fedora. Most places seem to exceed the ThinkGeek pricing.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

Indy's hat is a proper fedora, not a trilby like a lot of hats that get sold as fedoras.
wot?

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Enough

Post by Enough »

Outdoor Research makes some nice hats that are great for outdoorsy activities. I am the proud owner of the Seattle Sombrero and LOVE it! I too wear glasses and this Gortex lid will keep you nice and dry. It is a bit too hot to wear on warm sunny days. Definitely have a look at their other hats and if you have a decent outdoor store near you, maybe pay it a visit and see what other tempting options might exist.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

This one is fashionable AND keeps the aliens from controlling your mind!

Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm thinking about trading my fedora in for a tarp hat. Mostly because the fedora works great but once it's soaked, it takes forever to dry out. The tarp hat is slightly more water resistant but it doesn't really care if it gets wet. I always feel like I should be wearing a knee length rain coat with the fedora; it seems more dressy than functional. The tarp hat seems more useful for what I need - similar to what you're describing plus I'd use it for yard work to keep the sun off my neck.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Sectoid

Post by Sectoid »

I actually have this hat and wear it out now and again.
(V)(;,,;)(V) - Why not Zoidberg?
Model Mayhem # 641920
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote:I'm thinking about trading my fedora in for a tarp hat.
I think you're safe. I don't think anyone here would even think about Occupying Smoove.
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

Enough wrote:Outdoor Research makes some nice hats that are great for outdoorsy activities. I am the proud owner of the Seattle Sombrero and LOVE it! I too wear glasses and this Gortex lid will keep you nice and dry. It is a bit too hot to wear on warm sunny days. Definitely have a look at their other hats and if you have a decent outdoor store near you, maybe pay it a visit and see what other tempting options might exist.
+1 to the Outdoor research hats. I have used one (well, I'm on my second now) since 1994. Great hats for outdoor, and the flaps velcro up to the sides so you can look Australian (one side up) or rakish (with both sides up and tipped to an angle). :wink: They are sized (small, med. large, I think) but the band is adjustable to get a comfy fit.

My hats have served me well during collecting in the high plains deserts, low deserts, rainforests in South America and here in the eastern U.S. I wear glasses, and they are good for keeping the rain off of your face, for the most part (e.g. if you are in a pissing rainstorm with wind - nothing will help you then). The brim is also long enough to keep the sun out of your eyes, but not so large it looks like a sombrero.

The only issue I ever had was with my old hat - red top with black brim - I kept getting dive-bombed by a large Ecuadorian hummingbird on part of a rainforest trail . The bird was cuing in on the red thinking I was something invading its territory. In a sense I was by walking that part of the trail.
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
Mr Bubbles

Post by Mr Bubbles »

Fez
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.”
Bertrand Russell
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Mr Bubbles wrote:Fez
Fezes are cool.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Sectoid wrote:I actually have this hat and wear it out now and again.
You have a nice rack.
Black Lives Matter.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Do you carry a whip as well................?
Black Lives Matter
DaHowie

Post by DaHowie »

Tilley T3 here in olive. Great hat. Had it for ~10 years now. I just throw in the wash after it gets dirty/sweaty. Finally getting broken in.
David
DaHowie

Post by DaHowie »

David
Enough

Post by Enough »

This thread is making me want to go buy a hat, which I guess is a bit more fun than towels. :D
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell