I need a hat.

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LordMortis

Re: I need a hat.

Post by LordMortis »

Enough wrote:This thread is making me want to go buy a hat, which I guess is a bit more fun than towels. :D
So, how often do you wash a hat?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

LordMortis wrote:
So, how often do you wash a hat?
It depends on whether you dried your ass with it.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

HA! That was a good one fellas! Total LOL here!
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
Odin

Post by Odin »

KKBlue wrote:HA! That was a good one fellas! Total LOL here!
Same - a definite, audible chuckle.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Arise! I never did buy a hat. Now, years later, I find myself actually needing one, but for different reasons.

The person-with-whom-I-am-involved has convinced me to try growing my hair out. I have had it shaved off since ~94, but I'm willing to give it a whirl just to see how it comes out. The problem is the 'in between' stage between short and long when you look like one of the Beatles. For that stage, I need a hat.

I look awful in ball caps, and don't want to make the fashion statement that they represent around here (good 'ol boy.) I'm wanting something relatively cool for the Indiana heat.

Some that may do the job - a breezer, a newsboy, and a panama hat. All are either small or have good airflow. Since it isn't a long-term hat (I remember enough about long hair not to wear a hat with it unless necessary), I don't want to spend a ton of money.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I like the look of a good Panama hat. Of course, what does the person-I-am-involved-with think... :wink:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

$iljanus wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:00 pm I like the look of a good Panama hat. Of course, what does the person-I-am-involved-with think... :wink:
That will be a factor. Right now my hair is a solid 3/8ths of an inch, so I'm just shopping for ideas to be discussed.

$iljanus wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:00 pm I like the look of a good Panama hat.
Given that it is a temporary hat, I doubt it will be a good anything - especially since good Panamas seem to be really, really expensive.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

Some of us can't grow our hair out, ya bastard.

Do-rag? Nothing can make a mop-top fashionable these days.
There is no hug button. Sad!
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:43 pm Arise! I never did buy a hat. Now, years later, I find myself actually needing one, but for different reasons.

The person-with-whom-I-am-involved has convinced me to try growing my hair out. I have had it shaved off since ~94, but I'm willing to give it a whirl just to see how it comes out. The problem is the 'in between' stage between short and long when you look like one of the Beatles. For that stage, I need a hat.

I look awful in ball caps, and don't want to make the fashion statement that they represent around here (good 'ol boy.) I'm wanting something relatively cool for the Indiana heat.

Some that may do the job - a breezer, a newsboy, and a panama hat. All are either small or have good airflow. Since it isn't a long-term hat (I remember enough about long hair not to wear a hat with it unless necessary), I don't want to spend a ton of money.

This Panama Jack Canvas Safari Hat is a decent inexpensive choice. It's made from 100% cotton so it's great for staying cool, and also provides good UV protection.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:06 pm
$iljanus wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:00 pm I like the look of a good Panama hat. Of course, what does the person-I-am-involved-with think... :wink:
That will be a factor. Right now my hair is a solid 3/8ths of an inch, so I'm just shopping for ideas to be discussed.

$iljanus wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:00 pm I like the look of a good Panama hat.
Given that it is a temporary hat, I doubt it will be a good anything - especially since good Panamas seem to be really, really expensive.
Heh, I love my Panama hat but I didn’t drop a ton of cash on it. Hopefully you’ll find one that looks swank but not $100 dollars,which is a bit much. One of my favorite hats was bought in a drug store in Santa Barbara. Unfortunately, it’s somewhere in the Valley of Fire in Nevada now. :cry:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I got me a good Panama hot at Amazon some ten years ago. Still holding up fine and still looks good.
Only been in the rain briefly a coupe of times.

Enlarge Image

Unfortunately unavailable.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Have lots of ballcaps and knit caps. My best hats are a pair of fedoras. I have a 3rd one which was my first and is VERY old...an original. Its so rotten now I cant take it out of the box.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Stay away from light colors unless you're sure you won't be sweating it up. After I sweated through the headband I found out that most dry cleaners will just look at you blankly if you bring them a hat.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:41 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:I am, therefore, here, asking the more sensible multitudes what I can get away with wearing that is neither overly mockable nor presumptuous.
Pretty hard to do with a hat that isn't a ball cap. Pretty much you just have to just find one that you're comfortable wearing and everyone else be damned.

If it's rain you're worried about, maybe a nice umbrella?
A hat IS an umbrella.
But, well, you know... without any of that mocking and presumptuousness.

:D
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I think you'd look good in this breezer:

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product ... gJrG_D_BwE

or if that's totally not your style, then this could be?

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product ... ?a=1762319
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Unagi wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:11 pm I think you'd look good in this breezer:

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product ... gJrG_D_BwE

or if that's totally not your style, then this could be?

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product ... ?a=1762319
I actually like that first one quite a bit. The second is way too cowboy for me.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Fedora if you have the matching neck beard. Otherwise I would try a tuque/tuke/toque.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

two months
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Theres 2 hats I want yet.........

A sloppy newsboy cap
Enlarge Image

and a slouchie knit beanie
Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:44 pm I'm thinking about trading my fedora in for a tarp hat.
I have a tarp hat and while I don't wear it often I imagine myself to look pretty alluring when I do.

The down side to them is that they sink in water.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'm debating moving from ponytail holder to barrettes. Do I belong in this thread? Barrettes seem more practical and reliable but I fear they're a step too far for my work. Oddly enough a workplace that desperately tries to appeal to and attract millennial process flows, while at the same time still being ultra conservative.

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:43 pm The problem is the 'in between' stage between short and long when you look like one of the Beatles.
Why is that a problem? My hair looks it's best when it is "in between" but fashion statements are expensive and a pain to maintain, so fuck that noise. If you aren't a professional, it's been the rage haircut for like 40 years. It's the fashion statement of liberation. From hippie to grunge to hipster to whatever the next thing will be when "gentrification" is dying and replaced by the next concept. So you can be ahead of the fashion game or declare yourself "witch house" if you must align with the contemporary. (Seriously Internet? Witch house? That's a thing?)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I distinguish between 'long hair' and 'sloppy long hair.' I may be poor, but I try to keep myself looking halfway neat. Besides, I can't stand hair in my eyes. The 'between' stage for me starts when the bangs pass my eyebrows and lasts until they'll stay behind my ears.
Aliasbuck

Post by Aliasbuck »

I have one of these. It's nice and light and great for the summer, plus lots of color choices

https://www.kakaduimports.com/Soaka_Hat_p/5h31.htm

Holman

Post by Holman »

I bought this hat early this year because I wanted shade all 'round while walking the dog. I have a large head, and this fits better than any hat or cap I've owned.

It works great, although it isn't fashionable. The brim is even wider than I expected, but that's perfect because it entirely shades my neck and face.

(As a teenager in Georgia I twice got severe sun poisoning, and my doc told me that I need to keep my skin plastered with sunscreen or covered with shade if I want to avoid future skin cancer.)
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Wife bought me one very much like that for gardening. Unfortunately, it's off-white, a color that does not hide soil well. Nice hat for the sun, though.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

similar to the one i got at Target for about the same price (more of a grey camo pattern). i bought it for my Cuba trip and it did work fine *and* was comfortable enough, so i've used it since for very sunny days here.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

There was an interesting hat on amazon, looked sort of like Holman's, that used the cooling material from those towels people soak and place around their neck, but the hat seems to only be sourced from an either very slow shipper or very slow production shop. Seems like a good idea if done better. Hmm, looks like more sources, and better reviews on some of those sources now. https://www.amazon.com/Julvie-Pcs-Cooli ... QKVRBKGTMV

Looks like it uses reflective material on the outside sort of like a Mylar balloon
two months
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

My wife got me a similar hat from Tilly (the exact model doesn't seem to be made anymore). It's crushable and travels well. Not really fashionable due to all the crushing and traveling. I also have a cheap green boonie hat from a trip to China. It's downright ugly.