Trent Steel

Re: Tinnitus sucks!

Post by Trent Steel »

MOP
18-1™ & 2-0
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Thanks, this thread has needed Archer from the start!
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

anyone here (hear?) try notched sound therapy?

https://www.hearinglikeme.com/sound-the ... -tinnitus/

https://www.signia-hearing.com/blog/not ... -tinnitus/
While commercial-grade sound machines deliver a generic sound selection, a variety of medical-grade devices provide more customized sounds designed around the patient and his/her tinnitus. These devices play special notched-music or algorithmically-modified sounds in which specific frequencies and tones are emphasized — often at a level not consciously perceivable by the listener. The reported function of these modified sounds varies according to the specific product.

Unlike standard white noise machines, notched-music devices are generally worn intermittently (only during defined therapy sessions or times of predictable acute need, such as before bed or immediately upon waking), and provide lingering benefit after the device is turned off.

Also, unlike standard white noise machines, notched-music and modified sound devices may, over time, alleviate the perceived burden of tinnitus — even after they are turned off. By facilitating habituation these products may help the patient naturally “tune out” the perception of tinnitus.

The reported clinical efficacy of modified-sound and notched-music devices varies by product, but in general these devices appear to provide some level of relief to many patients. Optimal results typically require at least some patient counseling and education in addition to the use of sound devices.
i'm going to give it a try. my right-ear tinnitus (present for at least 12 years) seems to have recently and significantly gotten worse - there's now a sort of dual-tone, with a new higher-frequency pitch that seems to be constantly attenuated (it's not a steady sound) and sometimes is so piercing that i wake up from it while sleeping! there's also a feeling of pressure in that ear. this post was informative: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/fe ... #post-4080
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

talked to doctor yesterday. he couldn't find anything physically wrong with my ears (as expected), but prescribed fluticasone just to make sure it wasn't allergy-aggravated. i now have a reference to an audiologist.