We Are ... Horrified

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Smoove_B

Re: We Are ... Horrified

Post by Smoove_B »

Clery Act failure a lesson to others:
Most of the findings by the Department of Education relate to Penn State's failure to disclose reports of criminal incidents from 2008 to 2011. A few relate to the Sandusky scandal, but they are specific — among them, failing to file reports of Sandusky's shower-room activities with boys in 1998 and 2001, and failing to investigate and immediately alert the public after then-assistant coach Mike McQeary's first-person account of the 2001 incident.

Overall, investigators said, university administrators "failed in every material respect to comply with the Clery Act" — especially by the lack of response to Sandusky suspicions revealed in email messages in 2001.

Also, as pennlive.com reports, the federal investigation found "cultural and climate factors in the football program" during the 1998-2011 review period that created "a discernible sense among some athletes that the rules did not apply to them equally." The report doesn't accuse former head coach Joe Paterno of interfering in police investigations, but said the coach's insistence on being the disciplinarian for his players "unquestionably adversely affected the administration of the student conduct process."
Is the lesson you can pay a fine and continue to have a college football program?
Maybe next year, maybe no go

Post by Default »

"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote:Clery Act failure a lesson to others:
Most of the findings by the Department of Education relate to Penn State's failure to disclose reports of criminal incidents from 2008 to 2011. A few relate to the Sandusky scandal, but they are specific — among them, failing to file reports of Sandusky's shower-room activities with boys in 1998 and 2001, and failing to investigate and immediately alert the public after then-assistant coach Mike McQeary's first-person account of the 2001 incident.

Overall, investigators said, university administrators "failed in every material respect to comply with the Clery Act" — especially by the lack of response to Sandusky suspicions revealed in email messages in 2001.

Also, as pennlive.com reports, the federal investigation found "cultural and climate factors in the football program" during the 1998-2011 review period that created "a discernible sense among some athletes that the rules did not apply to them equally." The report doesn't accuse former head coach Joe Paterno of interfering in police investigations, but said the coach's insistence on being the disciplinarian for his players "unquestionably adversely affected the administration of the student conduct process."
Is the lesson you can pay a fine and continue to have a college football program?
And potentially make it to the playoffs. Pennstate and Baylor both need to have their toys taken away. Failing to do that, maybe the NCAA should be dismantled.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

LordMortis wrote:Failing to do that, maybe the NCAA should be dismantled.
This. What a corrupt piece of shit organization.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Know Your IX
The U.S. Department of Education enforces the Clery Act (including the new Campus SaVE provision), so complaints can be filed through their Clery Act Compliance Division at:. For information on filing a complaint, visit our resource here. Schools that violate the Clery Act may face warnings, up to $35,000 per violation fines, the limitation or suspension of federal aid, or the loss of eligibility to participate in federal student aid programs. If you are unsure if your school has violated the Clery Act consider seeking a lawyer or non-profit, like the Clery Center, to review your case.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

DeAndre Levy (current Lions LB) calls JoPa a "dirtbag".

Good for him.

The comments on the article are pathetic as expected. It seems the Ped State apologists justify JoPa's looking the other way because he technically reported things to the authorities within the campus. Wow. What a role model he is for doing the absolute minimum required (and I don't even believe he did that properly as the court documents make it clear he put the value of the football program over the protection of the victims).
18-1™ & 2-0
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

How much has all of this cost Penn State? At least $237 million:
The university has settled with 33 people over allegations they were sexually abused by Sandusky, and has made total payments to them of $93 million.

The total also covers the $48 million "fine" levied by the NCAA that is funding anti-child-abuse efforts in Pennsylvania, $27 million in lawyer fees to defend lawsuits, nearly $14 million that includes the legal defense of three former administrators facing criminal charges for their handling of Sandusky complaints and $5.3 million for crisis communications and other consultants.

The school's latest financial statement said insurers have covered $30 million in costs, while other insurance claims remain pending.
I feel sorry for the poor insurance company that has to cut checks under an "Abuse and molestation" policy. I'm guessing this isn't something they're bragging about to the Board of Directors about.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote:How much has all of this cost Penn State? At least $237 million:
The university has settled with 33 people over allegations they were sexually abused by Sandusky, and has made total payments to them of $93 million.

The total also covers the $48 million "fine" levied by the NCAA that is funding anti-child-abuse efforts in Pennsylvania, $27 million in lawyer fees to defend lawsuits, nearly $14 million that includes the legal defense of three former administrators facing criminal charges for their handling of Sandusky complaints and $5.3 million for crisis communications and other consultants.

The school's latest financial statement said insurers have covered $30 million in costs, while other insurance claims remain pending.
I feel sorry for the poor insurance company that has to cut checks under an "Abuse and molestation" policy. I'm guessing this isn't something they're bragging about to the Board of Directors about.
Bet the line items are more like "civil settlements" and "legal fees." Only being on the hook for $30M thus far may mean they aren't paying for the majority of the settlements or fines.

But $30m is still probably going to mean some pretty big changes in risk management programs.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Admins finally admitted some guilt. Penn St. has had to pay out over $250M. Let it be a lesson to other organizations and businesses.
Black Lives Matter
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I wonder if Penn State's new stadium will still have team showers? :ninja:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
KDH

Post by KDH »

I only skimmed this thread. I am surprised there's been no mention of Sandusky's son being arrested a month ago.

usatoday.com
Ain't nobody got time for that
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jee-sus.
According to police, Jeffrey Sandusky attempted to obtain explicit material from a minor under the age of 18 -- referred to as victim No. 1 -- via text messages in March 2016. The minor's mother was dating Sandusky at the time and had been for six years. Sandusky lived with the woman and her children for five of those years.

Victim No. 1's father contacted police on Nov. 21, 2016, and said Sandusky sent texts requesting the material on March 1 and 2 of that year. The father then provided proof of those messages to police, per the complaint. In one message, Sandusky allegedly said it wasn't weird to receive the material because he is "studying medicine."
Kudos to the dad for going to the police rather than putting a projectile in the guy's brainpan.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Just in case you were wondering how this type of thing can continue, let's hear from a soon to be former trustee of Penn State:
In an email to The Chronicle of Higher Education, Lord supported Sandusky and was quoted as referring to victims of the Penn State child abuse sex scandal as "so-called" victims and saying he was "out of sympathy" for those affected.

"I am tired of victims getting in the way of clearer thinking and a reasoned approach to who knew what and who did what," Lord said to the Chronicle.
I can only imagine how deeply his insides must have rotted to express this sentiment.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Saw that story yesterday too. Out of sympathy for the victims of sexual abuse? Wrote that down in a letter? Sent that letter to the Chronicle of Higher Education? What did he think was going to happen?
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Truly sick man.
Black Lives Matter
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That's...pretty creepy.

As someone that will be hanging out with an entire clan of Penn State apologists in a few weeks, I'm looking forward to discussions not only on this HBO film but the recent death of a fraternity pledge.
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

Smoove_B wrote:As someone that will be hanging out with an entire clan of Penn State apologists in a few weeks...
Ick.
18-1™ & 2-0
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Ohio State
Rep. Jim Jordan, the powerful Republican congressman from Ohio, is being accused by former wrestlers he coached more than two decades ago at Ohio State University of failing to stop the team doctor from molesting them and other students.

The university announced in April that it was investigating accusations that Dr. Richard Strauss, who died in 2005, abused team members when he was the team doctor from the mid-1970s to late 1990s.

Jordan, who was assistant wrestling coach at the university from 1986 to 1994, has repeatedly said he knew nothing of the abuse until former students began speaking out this spring. His denials, however, have been met with skepticism and anger from some former members of the wrestling team.

Three former wrestlers told NBC News that it was common knowledge that Strauss showered regularly with the students and inappropriately touched them during appointments, and said it would have been impossible for Jordan to be unaware; one wrestler said he told Jordan directly about the abuse.

Former head coach Russ Hellickson, Jordan's mentor, said in a recent video — made by Mike DiSabato, a former wrestler — that Hellickson had told Strauss that he was being too "hands on” with students.

DiSabato, whose allegations against Strauss prompted Ohio State to open its investigation, called Jordan a “liar.”

“I considered Jim Jordan a friend,” DiSabato said. “But at the end of the day, he is absolutely lying if he says he doesn’t know what was going on.”

DiSabato said he reached out to Jordan this year, before going to the university, to tell Jordan that he planned to go public with his allegations. Jordan told him to “please leave me out of it,” DiSabato said. “He asked me not to get him involved.”
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:06 pm Just in case you were wondering how this type of thing can continue, let's hear from a soon to be former trustee of Penn State:
In an email to The Chronicle of Higher Education, Lord supported Sandusky and was quoted as referring to victims of the Penn State child abuse sex scandal as "so-called" victims and saying he was "out of sympathy" for those affected.

"I am tired of victims getting in the way of clearer thinking and a reasoned approach to who knew what and who did what," Lord said to the Chronicle.
I can only imagine how deeply his insides must have rotted to express this sentiment.
Heh, it's I don't know how it's working out for Ped State but Since former Governor Engler took over in the wake of Michigan State failure to act to protects its students from systemic assault by its staff it has to be tanking the future of the university. He's been dismissive of the victims since day one.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/michigan-s ... hollander/

From a PR standpoint he has been the worst thing to happen since the judge said "fuck it. We will publicly hear from ever god damned victim and you will sit hear and face your accuser. And they will be allowed to have their stories heard." Engler has been a horrible choice for damage control.
DD*

Post by DD* »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:40 am Ohio State
Rep. Jim Jordan, the powerful Republican congressman from Ohio, is being accused by former wrestlers he coached more than two decades ago at Ohio State University of failing to stop the team doctor from molesting them and other students.

The university announced in April that it was investigating accusations that Dr. Richard Strauss, who died in 2005, abused team members when he was the team doctor from the mid-1970s to late 1990s.

Jordan, who was assistant wrestling coach at the university from 1986 to 1994, has repeatedly said he knew nothing of the abuse until former students began speaking out this spring. His denials, however, have been met with skepticism and anger from some former members of the wrestling team.

Three former wrestlers told NBC News that it was common knowledge that Strauss showered regularly with the students and inappropriately touched them during appointments, and said it would have been impossible for Jordan to be unaware; one wrestler said he told Jordan directly about the abuse.

Former head coach Russ Hellickson, Jordan's mentor, said in a recent video — made by Mike DiSabato, a former wrestler — that Hellickson had told Strauss that he was being too "hands on” with students.

DiSabato, whose allegations against Strauss prompted Ohio State to open its investigation, called Jordan a “liar.”

“I considered Jim Jordan a friend,” DiSabato said. “But at the end of the day, he is absolutely lying if he says he doesn’t know what was going on.”

DiSabato said he reached out to Jordan this year, before going to the university, to tell Jordan that he planned to go public with his allegations. Jordan told him to “please leave me out of it,” DiSabato said. “He asked me not to get him involved.”
I did some reading on this one and there's quite a number of things that start the "BS alarm" ringing, not the least of which is that one of the accusers has been convicted of fraud and never said a word until his contract with the University was cancelled. There's three sides to every story but at first blush it seems a bit... convenient.
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Holman

Post by Holman »

At least four wrestlers have come forward to claim that Jordan knew of the abuse at the time.

Knowing what we know about the dynamics of shame and sexual abuse, the fact that someone waited to make their accusation suggests nothing about their truthfulness.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Five
Two more former Ohio State wrestlers came forward Thursday to assert that Rep. Jim Jordan (R-OH) certainly did know about the rampant sexual abuse carried out by the team doctor while Jordan was the assistant coach, despite his denials.

This brings the total up to five of Jordan’s former wrestlers accusing him of lying.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Six now, plus details of the weird, sexually voyeuristic environment around the wrestling program.
A half-dozen ex-wrestlers told POLITICO they were regularly harassed in their training facility by sexually aggressive men who attended the university or worked there. The voyeurs would masturbate while watching the wrestlers shower or sit in the sauna, or engage in sexual acts in the areas where the athletes trained, the former wrestlers said.
All of this makes it much harder to believe Jordan's claims that he never heard any complaints of abuse or that it was just "locker-room talk."
mori

Post by mori »

It is not like wrestlers to be a bunch of compliant wallflowers of the most macho of all collegiate sports. The pressure to go along with this indecent behavior must be overwhelming in the university system.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

mori wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:53 am It is not like wrestlers to be a bunch of compliant wallflowers of the most macho of all collegiate sports. The pressure to go along with this indecent behavior must be overwhelming in the university system.
It's not like the idea of overwhelming pressure is foreign to the university system. :idea:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Lawsuit
Attorneys filed a massive class-action lawsuit in U.S. District Court in Ohio on behalf of an as-yet-unnamed former OSU wrestler. The law firm Sauder Schelkopf is seeking to represent all the students and athletes “treated” by Strauss in his two decades at the school, from the late ‘70s to the late ‘90s – a number they estimate will amount to “at least 1,500.”

Jordan, the jut-jawed anti-gay crusader who’s the fourth-ranking Republican leader in the House, is singled out in the suit: He’s one of only three former school officials named, including Strauss, though the action is aimed at all the coaches, administrators and others in positions of responsibility at OSU who, it claims, stood by while students and student-athletes were repeatedly “sexually abused, harassed, and molested,” and “forced” to seek treatment from a well-known predator even after they complained. (Strauss was the sole team doctor for the wrestlers; the men say they either had to choose to let injuries go untreated, as the lawsuit says some did, or subject themselves to yet another assault.)

The lead plaintiff, “John Doe,” says he was groped, assaulted and molested at least 20 times. The other wrestlers have told reporters how Strauss allegedly used any excuse to make them expose themselves and grope them, and the lawsuit adds some sickening details
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

USA Today
More than 100 former Ohio State students have come forward with sexual misconduct allegations against a former team doctor, the school announced on Friday.

Ohio State hired an outside firm to conduct an investigation into Richard Strauss after several former wrestlers earlier this year alleged they were subjected to sexual abuse or harassment. The firm, Perkins Coie, has conducted more than 200 interviews with former Ohio State students and staff into allegations of abuse that span from 1979 to 1997.

“We are grateful to those who have come forward and remain deeply concerned for anyone who may have been affected by Dr. Strauss’ actions,” Ohio State president Michael V. Drake said in a statement. “We remain steadfastly committed to uncovering the truth.”
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

mori wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:53 am It is not like wrestlers to be a bunch of compliant wallflowers of the most macho of all collegiate sports. The pressure to go along with this indecent behavior must be overwhelming in the university system.
We had a case here where a wrestler was accused of "oil canning" another wrestler several times as a means of hazing. At the time this made national headlines. The accused wrestler was eventually dismissed from the program and sent to another high school. The high school (where my daughters went) has now won three straight big school state wrestling titles.

I don't believe the coach lost his job over this, but I do think they have a new coach. But it does demonstrate that even at lower levels the culture is over whelming.

This same school has also allowed 2 baseball players to remain playing while the school "investigated" possible rape charges against them. The baseball program won the unofficial national championship that year.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Scuzz wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:01 pm
We had a case here where a wrestler was accused of "oil canning" another wrestler several times as a means of hazing. At the time this made national headlines. The accused wrestler was eventually dismissed from the program and sent to another high school. The high school (where my daughters went) has now won three straight big school state wrestling titles.

I don't believe the coach lost his job over this, but I do think they have a new coach. But it does demonstrate that even at lower levels the culture is over whelming.

This same school has also allowed 2 baseball players to remain playing while the school "investigated" possible rape charges against them. The baseball program won the unofficial national championship that year.
Can you define "oil canning" in this context? I don't think he deformed the guy's roof.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Chattanooga Bystander
“Among the rules: no biting, no eye-gouging, no cock-punching, no hair-pulling and no oil-canning,” said Leistershire. “That last one, if you aren’t familiar with wrestling, means putting your thumb where the sun don’t shine.”
I had successfully resisted the urge to Google it until you asked. So thanks for that.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:16 am
Scuzz wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:01 pm

Can you define "oil canning" in this context? I don't think he deformed the guy's roof.
This was new to me but "oil canning" is one wrestler intentionally inserting his fingers in the other wrestlers rectum. This guy apparently kept doing in practices to the other, even after the other wrestler had complained about it. I think there was some other hazing going on as well.

Apparently "oil canning" is very common and part of the culture based on the reactions people had to the story.
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:20 am Chattanooga Bystander
When I first saw this I thought "Chattanooga Bystander" was another name for Oil Canning.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

McNutt wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:30 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:20 am Chattanooga Bystander
When I first saw this I thought "Chattanooga Bystander" was another name for Oil Canning.
:lol:

AKA
Cleveland Plain Dealer
Cincinnati Enquirer
Sandusky Register
or the ole

Detroit Free Press

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

If it's such a winning move, you'd think someone would market an athletic cup with a rectal shield or something similar.

Seriously, why not?
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Well it is an illegal move, but I guess it sometimes happens "by accident".
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Holman wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:34 pm If it's such a winning move, you'd think someone would market an athletic cup with a rectal shield or something similar.

Seriously, why not?
Seems like it would make other movement awkward/painful.

Plus, just enforce the rules. No thumbs up asses.

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:40 pm Plus, just enforce the rules. No thumbs up asses.
Or perhaps there's a niche market for butt plugs with a razor-lined orifice?
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That's it! You're off Guardians of the Galaxy 3 as well!
He won. Period.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:02 pm That's it! You're off Guardians of the Galaxy 3 as well!
Groot would be perfect for this.
Black Lives Matter