We Are ... Horrified

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Pyperkub

Re: We Are ... Horrified

Post by Pyperkub »

msduncan wrote:These penalties appear to be about 3 times as bad (if you factor in the monetary amounts) as what Alabama was hit with in the early 2000's. It took us over 5 years to recover.

On a side note, Coach Paul Bryant became the coach with the 2nd most wins once again, behind Bobby Bowden.
I could see it taking 15 years or more to recover on the field.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Inverarity

Post by Inverarity »

Holy crap, PSU might as well just shut down the program for a couple of years. Wow.
msduncan wrote:These penalties appear to be about 3 times as bad (if you factor in the monetary amounts) as what Alabama was hit with in the early 2000's. It took us over 5 years to recover.
They seem quite a bit worse, and I don't expect their program to come back nearly as quickly as yours did. I wouldn't be surprised if it took 20 years. Edit: Pyperkub said roughly the same. Sorry for the repeat.
On a side note, Coach Paul Bryant became the coach with the 2nd most wins once again, behind Bobby Bowden.
Technically he's now 3rd. Eddie Robinson is #1 at 408, Bowden is #2. I'm not sure why the mainstream media always discounts Robinson.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Bowden is number one in FBS though. Robinson didn't compete in FBS as far as I know.
Black Lives Matter
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Lorini wrote:Bowden is number one in FBS though. Robinson didn't compete in FBS as far as I know.
Correct. And it's not just media -- the NCAA counts only FBS
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Mark Schlabach ‏@Mark_Schlabach
Was told by an #SEC coach that another #SEC coach had offered 3 #PennState players scholarships by 9:30 a.m. today
"It's my manner, sir. It looks insubordinate, but it isn't, really."
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

triggercut wrote:Mark Schlabach ‏@Mark_Schlabach
Was told by an #SEC coach that another #SEC coach had offered 3 #PennState players scholarships by 9:30 a.m. today
And this is surprising because...?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Skinypupy wrote:
I'm not sure I said it was surprising, necessarily.

Posted it because I thought it was interesting and illustrative.
Last edited by triggercut on Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

msduncan wrote:
Lorini wrote:Bowden is number one in FBS though. Robinson didn't compete in FBS as far as I know.
Correct. And it's not just media -- the NCAA counts only FBS
No, the NCAA does not count only FBS. They count all divisions. That makes John Gagliardi #1, and Bear Bryant #4 (and soon to be #5!), not #2.
Hodor.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

triggercut wrote:
Skinypupy wrote:
I'm not sure I said it was surprising, necessarily.

Posted it because I thought it was interesting and illustrative.
Agreed.

I'm perfectly OK with the ruling, and actually think it's a bit lenient. The only people I feel bad for are the lower to mid-level players (i.e. those not likely to get picked up elsewhere) who are getting caught up in all this while having nothing to do with it.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Skinypupy wrote: I'm perfectly OK with the ruling, and actually think it's a bit lenient. The only people I feel bad for are the lower to mid-level players (i.e. those not likely to get picked up elsewhere) who are getting caught up in all this while having nothing to do with it.
I believe if they were on scholarship they can keep it and stay. Those not on scholarship, well they were there to go to school, right? Last I heard the school was still there.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Skinypupy wrote: I'm perfectly OK with the ruling, and actually think it's a bit lenient. The only people I feel bad for are the lower to mid-level players (i.e. those not likely to get picked up elsewhere) who are getting caught up in all this while having nothing to do with it.
I believe if they were on scholarship they can keep it and stay. Those not on scholarship, well they were there to go to school, right? Last I heard the school was still there.
Exactly...these are SCHOOLS first, with athletic programs originally designed as extracurricular activities.

This is why I cringed every time I read the word "suffer" in the posts above. That's really not the correct word, IMO, for this case. Yes, the sanctions are harsh. But this is supposed to be SPORT, a GAME, maybe a game too many take too seriously (I admit freely I get caught up in the machine and feeding frenzy as much as the next guy). Especially terrible choice of words since the only real suffering here will be in the minds of the raped kids. *That's* suffering, not whiny, entitled college football fans who expect to end up in the top 25 each year, now decidedly not going to do so.

If I put myself in a Penn State student's shoes, I would certainly be crushed. Sad as hell, probably angry, but I wouldn't be suffering. I would like to think that after my initial bitching and moaning, I would accept the decision as the RIGHT THING TO DO.

I guess one of the messages the NCAA was trying to send (and even if not, maybe we as a college football community should consider) was that in Penn State's case (and assuredly in dozens if not more other college campuses), the GAME became so powerful and important, that it trumped the safety of individual lives, really. Maybe we've gone too far, and somehow need to reel it in.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Michigan just picked up Ross Douglass, a 4-star corner decommit from PSU. Not sure if that's the first guy who has officially left and committed elsewhere, but it has officially started. He's not a current player, though, just had committed to PSU.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

As someone that doesn't care about college football, I'll be curious to see if there are other negative impacts that affect the operation of the university. I guess things like declining enrollment and/or gifts from alumni. There's part of me that thinks there's going to be some type of plea to alumni for funds as a way to make up that $60 million...and that's just creepy.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote:As someone that doesn't care about college football, I'll be curious to see if there are other negative impacts that affect the operation of the university. I guess things like declining enrollment and/or gifts from alumni. There's part of me that thinks there's going to be some type of plea to alumni for funds as a way to make up that $60 million...and that's just creepy.
My gut reaction at the beginning of all of this was that Penn State should volunteer to check out of football for at least five years; long enough for the stain to be washed away, where a new class starts mostly unaware of the history. After thinking about this for a long time, I don't care for the institution being punished and not even the program (directly). They will both be punished enough by the court of public opinion. If you were an out of state parent, would you let you 18 year old go to PSU right now? As a football player, would you want to play for PSU? How far down does PSU get moved as prospective school for most kids this year? Next year? The year after?

OTOH, we should absolutely crucify every one actually involved in the cover up and for the sake of the students having to deal with this fallout I think that kids should be able to transfer out, scholarships in tact, no penalty at PSU's expense.
Last edited by LordMortis on Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I mentioned it earlier - we have an extended family member that just graduated H.S. and will be attending PSU this September. I have no idea what she's planning on studying or why exactly PSU made the cut, but I couldn't imagine a worse time to be going.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

The alumni already contributed a record $260M to PSU last year. I'm sure it'll only get to be more next year, in fact it wouldn't surprise me one bit if an alum offers to pay the $60M. They love their school those PSU alum. If you look at it from a glass half full perspective it could be the best time to go. They will be on their toes about compliance (and not just about football) for the next few years at least.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

All I know is I am going to have a good time razzing UPenn grads by asking them how their school will handle NCAA sanctions.
Black Lives Matter.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

And it becomes even more apparent why Penn State accepted the penalties with apparent ease... it was better than it would be.
If Penn State had not accepted the package of NCAA sanctions announced Monday, the Nittany Lions faced a historic death penalty of four years, university president Rodney Erickson told "Outside the Lines" on Wednesday afternoon.
Per ESPN
Erickson said if Penn State did not agree to the sanctions, a formal investigation would have begun and the university could have faced a multiyear death penalty, as well as "other sanctions," including a financial penalty far greater than $60 million.
Self imposed in that they talked themselves down from outright destruction of their program.

Edit to add:

Penn State Trustees are still oblivious it would seem:
Another trustee said there is a growing movement among some trustees to attempt to challenge the consent decree in court.

"They've destroyed the school, as far as I'm concerned," this trustee said. "Think of the innocent players hurt by this. They had nothing to do with this and they have to pay the price."
I'm afraid if they fight it it will only get worse for them. Hopefully they come to their senses. Especially since the NCAA leadership is ready to really throw down the hammer on them:
Emmert told Erickson in a phone conversation on July 17 that a majority of the NCAA's leadership wanted to levy the four-year penalty
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

If they ever got competent counsel, I'm fairly sure he or she would advise that they not sue. If their president and president of the board of trustees' agreement on something isn't valid, then what is?
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Graham, since you handled things so well at Penn State, we'd like to hire you as a consultant...

Bloomberg wrote:Graham Spanier, ousted as president of Pennsylvania State University over the Jerry Sandusky child sex-abuse scandal, has taken a national-security job working with the U.S. government, a university spokesman said.

David La Torre, the school’s spokesman, described the job in an e-mail yesterday as a part-time consulting position and declined to provide further details. Spanier and his lawyer, Peter Vaira, didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Always nice to have friends in high places, otherwise known as WTF were they thinking???
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

So the Paterno family asked to appeal the sanctions and the NCAA said no. Looks like they are trying to set up for a lawsuit but from what I can see, they don't have standing as well as the fact that the courts are almost certainly not going to get involved with an organization's right to sanction their members...that's pretty longstanding.
Black Lives Matter
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

LawBeefaroni wrote:Graham, since you handled things so well at Penn State, we'd like to hire you as a consultant...

Bloomberg wrote:Graham Spanier, ousted as president of Pennsylvania State University over the Jerry Sandusky child sex-abuse scandal, has taken a national-security job working with the U.S. government, a university spokesman said.

David La Torre, the school’s spokesman, described the job in an e-mail yesterday as a part-time consulting position and declined to provide further details. Spanier and his lawyer, Peter Vaira, didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment.
The U.S. Government desperately needs advice on covering things up. Too many things end up in the press lately. :lol:
Black Lives Matter
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

And trustees have officially appealed the sanctions. ESPN

I'm afraid Penn State just doesn't know when to stop when they are ahead. Certainly doesn't seem very self-imposed.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Seems like PennState hasn't learned its lesson. That's playing with fire.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

And wasting tax payer's money.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

For what it's worth, it's something like 4 of the 32 trustees who have filed the appeal and are threatening suit, so this is not unanimous by any means. I think they're trying to win over the others, but for now it's a small portion of the trustees doing this.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ImLawBoy wrote:For what it's worth, it's something like 4 of the 32 trustees who have filed the appeal and are threatening suit, so this is not unanimous by any means. I think they're trying to win over the others, but for now it's a small portion of the trustees doing this.
That's 7:1 odds. This calls for consensus by combat.

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jeffrey Ross: Unapologetic Comedian

He won. Period.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

ImLawBoy wrote:For what it's worth, it's something like 4 of the 32 trustees who have filed the appeal and are threatening suit, so this is not unanimous by any means. I think they're trying to win over the others, but for now it's a small portion of the trustees doing this.
These four are asserting that they have standing over the college President? Do they not see the irony here?
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Lorini wrote:
These four are asserting that they have standing over the college President? Do they not see the irony here?
I don't think they're asserting that. I think they're saying that the president didn't have the authority to agree to this without first taking it to the board.

I don't know, maybe that is claiming that they have standing over the president. I don't know how PSU is structured, though, and how the trustees and president are supposed to interact. They may have a point, procedurally speaking, but I don't have enough info to make that determination.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

What's the irony? The Board of a university generally has authority over the president, most concretely illustrated by their power to hire and fire the president.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Freezer-TPF- wrote:What's the irony? The Board of a university generally has authority over the president, most concretely illustrated by their power to hire and fire the president.
The board itself does, but not four people of 32. They have nothing close to a majority, and just like they are saying the president alone can't determine whether or not the school should appeal the sanctions, neither can they. The president of the Board of Trustees also approved the action by the President of the university. My suspicion is that it's going to be thrown out on this fact alone. They at least need to get nine more trustees. OR they can try to throw out the president of the university or the president of the Board.
Black Lives Matter
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Has anyone explained to the 4 members of the Board who are appealing the decision how punitive damages are awarded in civil cases?

Because seriously, there are some lawyers representing victims who are high fiving over this. The tone-deaf stupidity at Penn State continues.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Their little feelings are hurt so they have to show they matter. I hope the rest of the Board votes them out.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

So the board is going to ratify the sanctions which will shut the rebels up (hopefully).
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Lorini wrote:So the board is going to ratify the sanctions which will shut the rebels up (hopefully).
Handful of Trustees: We protest! The President can't act without the consent of the Trustees!
Board of Trustees: We consent.
Handful of Trustees: :?

MYT
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Good lord. I guess that shouldn't be surprising, yet I am still...shocked.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I had read in an earlier article (I can't remember which periodical) that there were rumors about this kind of thing (trafficking in children for some alumni by Sandusky), but I had chalked it up to just that...rumors. God I hope it isn't true. If so, I hope Sandusky lives a very long time...and in horrible pain and suffering throughout that life.
He won. Period.