Fundraising for 2020/2021: Currently at $1431. Fundraising has begun, see the global post for options. Paypal Donation Links US dollars CDN Dollars

Mars is hard

Everything else!

Moderators: EvilHomer3k, Bakhtosh

Isgrimnur
Loading…

Re: Mars is hard

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNBC
The UAE has successfully launched its Mars probe, named Hope, making history as the Arab world’s first interplanetary mission.
Hope launched from the Japanese space center on Sunday, having been delayed from the previous week due to poor weather conditions. Within a few hours of liftoff, the ground segment at Dubai’s Mohammed bin Rashid Space Centre established two-way communication with the probe.
The Hope probe, a $200 million project called “Al Amal” in Arabic, is scheduled to reach Mars’ orbit in February 2021 and will spend one Mars year — equivalent to 687 days on Earth — studying and gathering data on the red planet’s atmosphere. The year 2021 is also significant: it will mark 50 years of the UAE’s existence.

“It is a weather satellite, and that’s one objective of the mission,” Sarah al-Amiri, the Mars mission’s lead scientist and UAE minister of state for advanced sciences told Spaceflight Now. “We also look at what role Mars’ weather plays in atmospheric loss. That’s the other part of the mission.”

Kraken
Loading…

Post by Kraken »

Holman

Post by Holman »

The launch window tomorrow (Thursday) opens at 7:50am Eastern and lasts about two hours. The plan is to reach Mars on February 18 2021.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.

Kraken
Loading…

Post by Kraken »

I read elsewhere that Perseverance will record its "seven minutes of terror" in HD video.

Holman

Post by Holman »

Good launch!

On the way.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.

Enough

Post by Enough »

Beautiful morning and launch!
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell