Buying your first home

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

El Guapo

Re: Buying your first home

Post by El Guapo »

Isgrimnur wrote:We close tomorrow.
Congrats! When do you move into my neighbor's condo?
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Never. And I don't move anywhere until June.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Closing is complete. whee...
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Let me be the first to congratulate you on your new reason to keep working for the next paycheck. :)
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

And the last, apparently. :)

On the insurance front, the lender wouldn't take anything over 1% for the wind/hail riders. The everything else bucket, we took at $1k for a slight increase in yearly cost, <$100 difference.

The weather here has been windy and rainy lately. I assume the roof hasn't blown off since my sellers/lessees haven't made some sort of effort to contact me.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Isgrimnur wrote:And the last, apparently. :)
Congratudolences? :mrgreen:
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You'll be over next week to help pack, right?
Enough

Post by Enough »

Congrats! :D
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Isgrimnur wrote:And the last, apparently. :)
Everyone else wanted you to buy the condo in my house.
Black Lives Matter.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

JSHAW wrote:Kinda awkward to see the woman from upstairs and know that you've "heard the lamentations of the women", as Conan the Barbarian would say. :lol:
"Lamentations"? Conan, you're doing something wrong!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Isgrimnur wrote:You'll be over next week to help pack, right?
I haven't packed since 1997, not for myself or for anyone else. I pay people to do that.

No, I am not paying people to do it for you. You're on your own there.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Packing is on us. But I'm paying people to move it. No way I'm trying to move furniture down from my 3rd floor walkup.
stessier

Post by stessier »

If you can squeeze it into the budget, have them pack too. It is a world of difference and can greatly contribute to matrimonial harmony (and it helps when making claims for damage).
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Wife and I just got our offer accepted yesterday on a house. No, it's not the condo above El Guapo, and yes, that's sad (for El Guapo). Now we go into the whole paperwork and money process. Then we get the keys, and go into the buying furniture, painting, having things installed, and money process.

Then I get to figure out how to work from a floating lounger in the pool.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Congrats!

But why does no one on OO want to live in my building?

:cry:
Black Lives Matter.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

El Guapo wrote:Congrats!

But why does no one on OO want to live in my building?

:cry:
Has a "uriney" smell in the halls.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Who would want to move into a place where there's no chance of being más guapo in their own building?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Isgrimnur wrote:Who would want to move into a place where there's no chance of being más guapo in their own building?
That's a fair point - I could see how people would be intimidated.
Black Lives Matter.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Home inspection was yesterday. House got two thumbs up from both the inspector and the septic guy.

Of course the thing I've been trying to figure out is the location of the cable modem. Right now, it's in the basement. That should give us good wifi coverage, but I'd really like to have at least my desktop hardwired. I'll probably try powerline first, since I've already got two boxes. I'm just worried because the room the desktop will be in was an addition, and they ran a second panel from the main panel to serve that. Hopefully it still works okay. Otherwise I'll have to have the cable guy run a line to where the desktop goes.

We were also sad to notice that Verizon's signal sucks in the house. I was only getting one bar of 3G service. :(
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Haven't you been trying to get your wife off of Verizon anyway? This is an opportunity for you, my friend.

I also like how the wifi network is your first thought post home inspection.
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The DSL modem (and my horrific speeds) was the first thing I noticed. Having to leave a cable modem for what has turned out to be essentially dial-up to own a home bothers me daily. But hey, now I have a house (that's falling apart). Setting up a WiFi network was also a pain in the ass, solved (thank God) by the power line adapter. Small victories...hooray.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

El Guapo wrote:Haven't you been trying to get your wife off of Verizon anyway? This is an opportunity for you, my friend.

I also like how the wifi network is your first thought post home inspection.
My first thought was for how big a TV I could fit, but that was an easy fix.

I have been trying to get off Verizon, but I want to figure out how good the coverage of the other options is there. If Verizon is the best option...
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

We've been in our house almost 8 years and my home improvement project I am still most proud of was getting my carpenter brother-in-law to drill a hole in our living room floor so I could pass CAT6 cable up through to the entertainment system from the cable modem and router in my basement office. Gigabit to the upstairs switch and I could put in a WiFi repeater there if needed...

Drill Baby Drill!
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

So we need homeowner's insurance. We've got one quote, but it seems high. Do we need to call a bunch of places and get quotes, or should we go to an insurance agent? If we just call places, how the heck do you know which places are decent and which ones are terrible?

You know, someone could make good money being basically a home buying planner. I thought your realtor was supposed to do that, but ours doesn't seem to. He might just not be very good.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I shopped around some myself but ended up using an agent in my town. I don't know if I'm getting the best deal but it's nice to stop in local to deal with problems.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I got a recommendation from my agent, but then, the agent is a family friend of the wife's. We also got a bundled discount for getting out auto consolidated and moved over to him as well.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Chaz wrote:So we need homeowner's insurance. We've got one quote, but it seems high. Do we need to call a bunch of places and get quotes, or should we go to an insurance agent? If we just call places, how the heck do you know which places are decent and which ones are terrible?

You know, someone could make good money being basically a home buying planner. I thought your realtor was supposed to do that, but ours doesn't seem to. He might just not be very good.
Calling around and getting quotes and then picking the one that is the cheapest reputable-seeming one is basically how it works. Though your agent should be able to recommend a company or two.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

First mortgage payment has been made. Only another week until I can actually see the inside of it again.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Chaz wrote:So we need homeowner's insurance. We've got one quote, but it seems high. Do we need to call a bunch of places and get quotes, or should we go to an insurance agent? If we just call places, how the heck do you know which places are decent and which ones are terrible?
Where do you get your car insurance? Most companies give you discount rates if you carry multiple policies with them.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

One lawn mowed, one million to go.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Isgrimnur wrote:One lawn mowed, one million to go.
I didn't even mow my own lawn the first time it got mowed; we had a baby shower that weekend and some friends came up Friday while I was still working so my wife had her friend's husband mow the lawn.

The mower broke.

Three hours and two trips to Home Depot later, he fixed it. :lol:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Wife wanted an electric mower, so we bought a 21" Kobalt 13 amp corded mower and a 50' extension cord. It got me to the end of the driveway and that was about it. I had to go to Lowe's to get a 100' one, and had to transition to the back plug to get the side easement done. The time it took for that means I get to mow the back yard tomorrow.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Why did you go with the corded model? The battery version really works well.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

My wife's been pushing for us to get an electric mower too. Are they decent enough now to actually consider? I've got probably 3/4 of an acre of grass to mow.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It was cheaper, and given that we had to buy a fridge as well, paying the extra for a battery mower wasn't worth it at the time.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I was going to mow the back yard today. And now it's raining.
Fellstrike

Post by Fellstrike »

Grats on the house! And the wife! I just got a house as well. All of my stuff is in it as of yesterday. Once I get situated, you're welcome to come help me test out my wet bar and game room. :D
"The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" -George Carlin

Currently playing:
Steam - Fellstrike
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Isgrimnur wrote:I was going to [complete random house maintenance task] today. But [something else broke/random problem] stopped me.
Here, I've modified it for you so that you can use it over the next 30 years.
Maybe next year, maybe no go

Post by Default »

After the first six months, you can shorten it to, "Honey, I'm going to Home Depot!"

No other explanation will be needed or wanted...
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
disarm

Post by disarm »

We built our house last year and moved in over Labor Day weekend. I just mowed our lawn for the first time three weeks ago, and did it for the second time on Friday. The yard was just planted at the end of last summer and is fairly thin in spots, but it's enough that I'm now going to be mowing on a regular basis...for the rest of my life...