Buying your first home

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Archinerd

Re: Buying your first home

Post by Archinerd »

My mom mowed our lawn the first 3-5 times. The rest of us were painting walls and ceilings though, so I dont feel bad. Also, my mom is a terrible painter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Isgrimnur wrote:Wife wanted an electric mower, so we bought a 21" Kobalt 13 amp corded mower and a 50' extension cord. It got me to the end of the driveway and that was about it. I had to go to Lowe's to get a 100' one, and had to transition to the back plug to get the side easement done. The time it took for that means I get to mow the back yard tomorrow.
I'm just saying, if you had bought the upstairs unit in my house, the yard for the house is tiny.
Black Lives Matter.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Default wrote:After the first six months, you can shorten it to, "Honey, I'm going to Home Depot!"

No other explanation will be needed or wanted...
I wish. First reaction to that is "AGAIN?! What in the world do you need to buy there that you haven't already?"

I think she thinks I go there just for funsies and to blow money. I actually hate the place, and their normally abysmal customer service.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

El Guapo wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:Wife wanted an electric mower, so we bought a 21" Kobalt 13 amp corded mower and a 50' extension cord. It got me to the end of the driveway and that was about it. I had to go to Lowe's to get a 100' one, and had to transition to the back plug to get the side easement done. The time it took for that means I get to mow the back yard tomorrow.
I'm just saying, if you had bought the upstairs unit in my house, the yard for the house is tiny.
How in the world does it work that the upstairs neighbor has any responsibility for the yard?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Isgrimnur wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
How in the world does it work that the upstairs neighbor has any responsibility for the yard?
The yard floats around the house, like one of Saturn's rings.

In addition, it's a three family house where the owners of each unit share the common areas, including the yard, so each family has joint and several responsibility for common maintenance.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I hate people. The idea of shared responsibility for something like that gives me the agita.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Isgrimnur wrote:I hate people. The idea of shared responsibility for something like that gives me the agita.
If that was part of your proposal, you really know how to sweet a girl off her feet!

:P
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:)

I make a few exceptions. But it's strictly an opt-in by approval only process.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yeah, big difference between working with someone you selected as your partner for life and working with those assholes that bought the second floor condo.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

We're supposedly closing on our house on Friday. I just spent a total of four hours over the last two days setting up the various utility and telecom accounts. I still hate Comcast so hard. We bought a table and chairs. My wife got a dozen different (but very similar-looking) paint samples. At this point, we still haven't gotten the actual confirmation of the closing date/time and closing costs from the closing company. We were supposedly getting those last Friday, but nothing yet.

Not sure if this is how the process usually works or not. If it is, then the process is obviously defective and should be re-worked. If it's not, then it just sucks for us.

At least the sellers are leaving the four nice bar stools for the kitchen island breakfast bar. So that saves us about $400.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

And to think I used to play a lawn mowing game back on the C-64. If only I'd known what a gateway drug that was.

Back yard is done. At minimum, it had been 18 days since its last trim.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Isgrimnur wrote:And to think I used to play a lawn mowing game back on the C-64. If only I'd known what a gateway drug that was.

Back yard is done. At minimum, it had been 18 days since its last trim.
Out of curiosity - how would you lose that game?
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Run out of gas.

Electric corded mower FTW!
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Isgrimnur wrote:Run out of gas.

Run over the cord! Not such a great win.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Finally, closing scheduled officially for Friday morning. Still trying to iron out the final HUD form (we set up homeowner's to be paid monthly directly (we're not using escrow), but they included a full year's premium in the settlement total), but otherwise, we're looking good.

Now I just need to deal with my wife stressing about picking paint colors and packing, then do the actual painting and moving small stuff before we load up the truck for the furniture and official "move in" next Tuesday. It'd be nice if one of the fence guys would call me back to schedule an estimate too.

On the plus side, the sellers agreed to leave the four stools for the eat-in island. That saves us about $400 for having to get new ones. Hooray!
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Chaz wrote:
At least the sellers are leaving the four nice bar stools for the kitchen island breakfast bar. So that saves us about $400.
Chaz wrote: On the plus side, the sellers agreed to leave the four stools for the eat-in island. That saves us about $400 for having to get new ones. Hooray!
I think you might be excited about getting free bar stools.
Black Lives Matter.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I am. And I've got too many things to keep track of, so obviously I'm living in some kind of Groundhog Day time loop and repeating myself.

Hey, we get the bar stools from the sellers for free! I'm excited!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

The main thing I remember from my house closing is that our bank f'ed something up with our mortgage documentation, so that our closing was delayed for a day. Which worked out fine, in that the bank then ate the something like $1,500 closing costs that we would've had to pay (which is fair, seeing as how their cock up could have cost us the house if the sellers had decided to walk away).

Oh, that, and how on the way to the closing (when it did happen the following day) my <1 year old daughter came down with a 103 fever and vomiting, so we wound up signing the closing documents at Children's Hospital. That was fun.

On the plus side, the sellers agreed to leave the four stools for the eat-in island. That saved us about $400 for having to get new ones. Hooray!
Black Lives Matter.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Lots of minutiae there, but what I'm really curious about is if the previous owners left any kind of furniture, perhaps wooden, of a verticalish nature?
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I bet if I'd bought the condo above El Guapo, they would've left all kinds of cool furniture. I really missed the boat on that one.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Chaz wrote:I bet if I'd bought the condo above El Guapo, they would've left all kinds of cool furniture. I really missed the boat on that one.
Seriously. Not to mention the super cool downstairs neighbors.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

In trying to avoid showing up later than had been normal prior to my move, I left home 15 minutes earlier than I had been to try and get to work at a reasonable time today. The commute proceeded to eat all of it plus another five minutes. Total commute time: 95 minutes.

Oh, and the CIO has a all-hands meeting scheduled tomorrow at 8:15. Maybe if I leave at dawn, I can make it in time.

I will not go the rest of this year spending 10% of my day in the car if I have anything to say about it.

:hawk:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I've shifted to a 7-3 schedule at work, and it's kept me out of the worst of the traffic.

But this morning, the hot water heater wasn't cooperating. I got nothing. Wife said she turned it up to the highest setting and got 5 minutes of hot water out of it for her shower. So I get to work from home this afternoon while I wait for the tech to show up.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

You wouldn't think a pull-start on a weed-whacker would have a hand orientation, but once again I learned that the world hates lefties. If you pull-start from the incorrect side, you end up unspooling the starter cord and causing a nightmare of tangles that requires a good solid hour of screwdriving, pulling apart and cursing. Amazingly, once I switched to a right-hand pull start orientation (after fixing the stupid cord) it started up instantly. :|

When a 10 minute job turns into 90 minutes...
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

Smoove_B wrote:You wouldn't think a pull-start on a weed-whacker would have a hand orientation, but once again I learned that the world hates lefties. If you pull-start from the incorrect side, you end up unspooling the starter cord and causing a nightmare of tangles that requires a good solid hour of screwdriving, pulling apart and cursing. Amazingly, once I switched to a right-hand pull start orientation (after fixing the stupid cord) it started up instantly. :|

HAAA HAAA HAAA HAAA!!!!!

SUCKER!!! SUCKER!!!!

Enlarge Image
18-1™ & 2-0
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Enlarge Image

It's ok now, because I've been assured that if I give home ownership another chance, I'll never be lied to again. Because now my home sees the destructive power of a lie -- they're stronger than truth. My lawn keeps saying, I can't believe I ever hurt you, I swear I will never lie to you again...Please, just give me more chance, I'll never lie to you again, no...
Last edited by Smoove_B on Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Smoove_B wrote:You wouldn't think a pull-start on a weed-whacker would have a hand orientation, but once again I learned that the world hates lefties. If you pull-start from the incorrect side, you end up unspooling the starter cord and causing a nightmare of tangles that requires a good solid hour of screwdriving, pulling apart and cursing. Amazingly, once I switched to a right-hand pull start orientation (after fixing the stupid cord) it started up instantly. :|

I mean, this is your own fault for choosing to be left handed.
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Electric push start FTW! :)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Left handedness is a choice. Have you tried praying it away?

We closed on Friday. The very next day, the pump on the water feature that we kind of liked, but didn't really think we'd keep long-term, crapped out. I don't know how to fix it, and replacing it looked like it'd run around $125+. I also think I dumped some oil into the water feature when I took the pump apart to take a look. We wound up draining the feature, and a soon-to-be project will be pulling the liner out of it so it doesn't refill as it rains.

Fortunately, when we get the fence installed, we can just have them dump the dirt into the hole and turn it into a nice planter!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Fitzy wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:Run out of gas.

Run over the cord! Not such a great win.
I can't even imagine how I'd keep from running over the cord.

Isgrimnur wrote:I've shifted to a 7-3 schedule at work, and it's kept me out of the worst of the traffic.
They shifted me from 8-5 to 7-5. Wait. I think I meant shafted.
Smoove_B wrote: once again I learned that the world hates lefties.
Aye. I am reminded of this fact every day when I have to physically sign off on and detail the money I am spending everyday in a physically bound binder. Every day. After 18 years, they can't change this to accommodate me. And I won't go near scissors. Talk about work place discrimination.

So who is coming over to mow my lawn? It's been about 9 cool and mostly rainy days since I last mowed and it's a jungle out there. I love me a cool summer and I don't mind the rain but fuck lawns. I need this shit to go dormant with typical July weather. Lawns are the single worst thing among a shit ton of bad things about home ownership and they are the very first thing you see when get home after work, reminding you exactly how much you need to lock yourself in your office to play video games until it's time to go to bed.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote:But this morning, the hot water heater wasn't cooperating. I got nothing. Wife said she turned it up to the highest setting and got 5 minutes of hot water out of it for her shower. So I get to work from home this afternoon while I wait for the tech to show up.
$69 stupid tax for the guy to tell me that I have no gas service and realize that's one thing that I didn't know to do.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:But this morning, the hot water heater wasn't cooperating. I got nothing. Wife said she turned it up to the highest setting and got 5 minutes of hot water out of it for her shower. So I get to work from home this afternoon while I wait for the tech to show up.
$69 stupid tax for the guy to tell me that I have no gas service and realize that's one thing that I didn't know to do.
I paid $50 to find out that my boiler has a fuse. They mounted it on the ceiling, and the fuse had unscrewed itself just enough to prevent the boiler from coming on. So I can relate. :(

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Oh, and the earliest that that the gas guy can come out is Monday. Did I mention that my sister is coming into town tomorrow to stay with us?

My folks as well, but they are staying at a nearby hotel. I guess it's nice to have that option. And I haven't cancelled my gym membership yet.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm sure there's a perfectly reasonable explanation as to why there's a giant puddle of oil under my weed whacker. Apparently I'm going to be working towards level 2 small engine tinkering tonight...
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

In addition to needing to buy a washer/dryer, lawn mower, fence, and something else that I'm totally forgetting, I think we're going to have to get a dehumidifier for the basement. The previous owners had one, so I figured there was probably a reason, but yeah, it's really humid down there. Since that's where the board games are planned to go, we gots to get the humid out.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Chaz wrote:In addition to needing to buy a washer/dryer, lawn mower, fence, and something else that I'm totally forgetting, I think we're going to have to get a dehumidifier for the basement. The previous owners had one, so I figured there was probably a reason, but yeah, it's really humid down there. Since that's where the board games are planned to go, we gots to get the humid out.
Sellout Woot has one today. No idea if it's any good.

Edit: Apparently the Lowe's and Best Buy reviews average 4 out of 5 Stars.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

April 15th is the start of year three.

The insurance company, not content to keep jacking my car insurance rates, has raised my homeowners insurance enough that I have to tweak my payment structure. I was slightly overpaying it based on a 2x monthly half payment that was about $20 over the total for the monthly. Now, that amount would short a payment by $0.23.

On the other hand, I have a check for 45% of a monthly payment in returned escrow overage.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

This April marks 3 years for us as well.

New Dishwasher - Check
New Furnace - Check
New Fridge - Check
New Garage door opener - Not yet, but soon
New Stove - Not yet, but soon
New Water Heater - It's a ticking time bomb

Thankfully, none of it came as any real surprise. The furnace for instance, was only 34 years old.

Our first year in the house we got the backyard looking halfway decent. Then we got a dog.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I can match that! we're coming up on three years. So far:

New primary furnace
New AC unit
New secondary furnace
Convert secondary furnace system from radiant floor to baseboard
New fence around back yard (with later electrification when big dog managed to jump it)
New driveway
Various electrical work

Within the next six months:
New pool liner
Replace some combination of windows and exterior doors
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

New roof
New A/C
New oven
Still busted garage door opener