Whatcha Watchin'?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: Whatcha Watchin'?

Post by Isgrimnur »

That post is as much of an excuse to get rid of cable and the DVR as I've ever heard. Not to be preachy, but being tied to "having" to watch stuff because the DVR was filling up became a chore. I'm much happier having cut the cord.

Just don't talk to me next month when Season 2 of GoT is airing and I can't watch it... :)
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote:That post is as much of an excuse to get rid of cable and the DVR as I've ever heard. Not to be preachy, but being tied to "having" to watch stuff because the DVR was filling up became a chore. I'm much happier having cut the cord.

Just don't talk to me next month when Season 2 of GoT is airing and I can't watch it... :)
It took a long while for me to learn not to care about programs waiting for me on TiVo. Once you do learn that to get around "the chore" of TV watching, you then learn how to preemptively stop watching TV shows you don't enjoy. If any TV series hits for episodes unwatched, it's a pretty good sign that I'm not really enjoying the show and I stop watching it. It also served as a warning for me not to get Netflix. Netflix would drive me to an obsession that would assuredly break my time entirely while concurrently boring me to tears with watching TV/Movies.

Movie arrives
I must watch movie as quickly as I can so I can get my next movie and get money's worth
I must return movie as quickly as I can so I can get my next movie and get money's worth
Goto Movie arrives
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Picked up the first season DVD of Todd and the Book of Pure Evil last week after hearing great things about it. It starts off slow and not terribly funny, but by episode 3 the cast starts to click and it eventually becomes quite funny. I highly recommend checking it out. It's like Scooby Doo and Buffy the Vampire Slayer but if it had been written and directed by Sam Raimi.

I believe Comcast subscribers have access to season 2 (maybe season 1 too, not sure) on Fearnet VOD. From what I've heard though, season 2 isn't nearly as funny.
He won. Period.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Isgrimnur wrote:That post is as much of an excuse to get rid of cable and the DVR as I've ever heard. Not to be preachy, but being tied to "having" to watch stuff because the DVR was filling up became a chore. I'm much happier having cut the cord.

LordMortis wrote:It took a long while for me to learn not to care about programs waiting for me on TiVo. Once you do learn that to get around "the chore" of TV watching, you then learn how to preemptively stop watching TV shows you don't enjoy.
Actually, I like the shows on my DVR. The shows I only had a middling interest in were dropped awhile ago. I just relegated TV to background entertainment that night so I could drop by OO. What was I thinking? :D
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Captain Caveman wrote:
Freezer-TPF- wrote:I'm about 5 episodes into the first Season of The Wire.
Oh how I envy you.
I finished the first season last night. Great show.
Spoiler:
"Where's Wallace at?!?! Where's Wallace at?!?!" Damn, man...
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
telcta

Post by telcta »

When we had a lull in TV programs to watch, I remembered I had the entire Arrested Development series still unopened that I bought years ago. So the wife and I are enjoying the show, but even more so now because she remembered someone had posted a picture of STEVE HOLT! in another thread and the reference made us laugh harder.

We're about halfway through the first season and there are times where I just suddenly bust out laughing over the goofiest moments, like Bateman leaning back in his chair and falling over or gum dropping from his mouth when he tries to talk to a girl while on an exercise bike. The comedic timing is just spot on with that cast.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Now see, I've watched the first two episodes off of Netflix, and it's not grabbing me. I'll give it a few more, as it seems to be universally loved around these parts, but I hope it improves for me.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Isgrimnur wrote:Now see, I've watched the first two episodes off of Netflix, and it's not grabbing me. I'll give it a few more, as it seems to be universally loved around these parts, but I hope it improves for me.
whoa....you don't like Arrested Development? :shock:
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Whatcha Watchin'?

Post by Isgrimnur »

I didn't find the first two episodes particularly amusing. That's as far as I'm willing to go at the moment.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Arrested Development gets better the longer you watch since there are so many in-jokes and references to things that happened episodes (and sometimes seasons) ago.
Black Lives Matter
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Freezer-TPF- wrote:
Captain Caveman wrote:
Freezer-TPF- wrote:I'm about 5 episodes into the first Season of The Wire.
Oh how I envy you.
I finished the first season last night. Great show.
Spoiler:
"Where's Wallace at?!?! Where's Wallace at?!?!" Damn, man...
If that got to you, just wait until season 4. It completely wrecked me.
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Arrested Development gets better the longer you watch since there are so many in-jokes and references to things that happened episodes (and sometimes seasons) ago.
+1, totally agree.

I too was "meh" about the show and didn't have any desire to watch the next episode Isgrimnur but was willing to give it a few more chances because of the word on the street. OMG it's so much fun and well worth letting the writers and actors get into the show's groove. There have been a few times where I've looked over at my husband to see if he found a part funny too, the guy is making no sound and I thought it was funny. Well, it's because he's cracking up so hard, he's not breathing! That level of laughter is the best praise in my book!
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

KKBlue wrote: Well, it's because he's cracking up so hard, he's not breathing! That level of laughter is the best praise in my book!
I'm glad you're taking your recent status as widow so well!
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

My initial thoughts were to give it at least 6 episodes before I made a determination, and that's normally much more generous than I'm willing to be.

It's no "Worst Week", after all. That one got all of 20 minutes.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

At least stick around until the Hot Cops show up...

p.s. 25 reasons why Arrested Development was the single greatest comedy on network tv.
He won. Period.
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Arrested Development gets better the longer you watch since there are so many in-jokes and references to things that happened episodes (and sometimes seasons) ago.
Plus more Ralph!

Just finished the episode where the guys were in the bathroom and Barry went to comb his hair. I screamed out loud while pointing at the TV. We went back to watch the 15 seconds again!
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
Orgull

Post by Orgull »

Thanks to this thread I started watching Torchwood. Oh. My. God. The first two seasons were okay but season three is off the charts incredible. I am in awe of this series. I haven't been this invested in a TV show since The Wire.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Orgull wrote:Thanks to this thread I started watching Torchwood. Oh. My. God. The first two seasons were okay but season three is off the charts incredible. I am in awe of this series. I haven't been this invested in a TV show since The Wire.
Indeed!
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I just noticed that Season 2 of Luther is up on Netflix now, so I'll probably be watching that this week. Good stuff.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jaymon wrote:
Orgull wrote:Thanks to this thread I started watching Torchwood. Oh. My. God. The first two seasons were okay but season three is off the charts incredible. I am in awe of this series. I haven't been this invested in a TV show since The Wire.
Indeed!
I disliked seasons 1 and 2, but the season 3 mini series was absolutely outstanding. Sci Fi story telling at its best.

Unfortunately, for the latest mini series, they must have hired a dyslexic monkey to type up a script. :cry:
He won. Period.
Odin

Post by Odin »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:I just noticed that Season 2 of Luther is up on Netflix now, so I'll probably be watching that this week. Good stuff.
Lex or Vandross?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Just got back from a midnight showing of Shallow Grave. 1994 movie by Danny Boyle with Christopher Eccleston, Ewan McGregor, and Kerry Fox as flatmates that end up with the dead body of someone connected to the mafia and his suitcase full of money.

Of course, people come looking for it, the cops eventually show up to investigate, and there's all sorts of plotting going on.

Interesting to see a pre-Doctor Eccleston. He plays his role well, and it's definitely a departure if you've only seen him as the Doctor or the dude from Heroes.
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

Started The Wire last night. It has a good vibe, beat, feeling for me, so far. My husband's second time around and know he's happy to be watching it again.
There isn't a TV in our bedroom but we make due with the long reach of WiFi and portable computers. Using the iPad this time around. We watched Deadwood this way, Castle, The Shield and probably another one I'm forgetting.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isn't living in the future grand?

I'm working my way through Scrubs and the Highlander series at the moment.

I'm a bit bummed to be missing the new Dr. Who episodes since I cancelled cable, but I'll live.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

I finally finished The Sopranos so now I'm kind of watching bits and pieces of shows before I dive into The Wire

Mostly I'm watching Corner Gas, Home Movies and Parks and Rec.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Apart from netflix movies I watch what my DVR lets me watch. Lately that's been Wilfred, Falling Skies, and Warehouse 13. We're almost 3/4 of the way through Farscape, too.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Now that Dish has HBO On Demand, we've started watching some crazy epic fantasy show that probably no one here has heard of - Game of Thrones. Only a few episodes in so far.

New season of Drinking Made Easy on Axs starts in October!
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Why the F hasn't anyone ever mentioned Sons of Anarchy before?

Just finished season 2 on Amazon Prime and damnit if this is not the best television series ever!

Sent from me phone
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Xmann wrote:Why the F hasn't anyone ever mentioned Sons of Anarchy before?

Just finished season 2 on Amazon Prime and damnit if this is not the best television series ever!

Sent from me phone
Stop right there and just jump to season 4. Trust me.
He won. Period.
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

hepcat wrote:
Yeah, I'll second that and add the missing letters...
Don't ucking waste your time with season 3 unless you are OK with disappointment.
-

We are watching Parks and Rec now too :)
Yes, very cool to be present and dip into the past with the futuristic technology available. God bless the scientists and forward thinkers with good eyes and ears (I like good quality visual and audio).
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Dammit to hell! The first two seasons have been some of my favorite TV drama.

Think the wife and I will still do season 3.

Sent from me phone
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

Been watching City Hunter, kind of a fun Korean action/romance drama. A little something for everyone in that show. And trying to catch up on Breaking Bad. About half through season 2.
No sig, must scream, etc.
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

KKBlue wrote:Just finished the episode where the guys were in the bathroom and Barry went to comb his hair. I screamed out loud while pointing at the TV. We went back to watch the 15 seconds again!
Spoiler:
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote:

Sent from me phone

For me the first few eps of Season 3 were pretty good. Then there's the Celtic road trip which to me, other than some tidbits of important info you can look up, was filler. Then back in the USA things were wrapped up very well at the end.

Edit: Season 5 is starting on Sept 11! Awesome!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Just got back from Cloud Atlas. I can see what it's trying to do. They spared nothing in the budget in terms of actors, special and make-up effects, etc., but it just didn't do it for me. It takes forever before the disparate stories start getting tied together, and even then, it's in some of the flimsiest manners. I kept checking my watch, as I hadn't realized beforehand that the running time was 172 minutes.

If you're a Wachowski sibling fanboy, you might enjoy it. Otherwise, I'd recommend that you wait for it to drop in price or hit the disc/demand market.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Isgrimnur wrote:Just got back from Cloud Atlas. I can see what it's trying to do. They spared nothing in the budget in terms of actors, special and make-up effects, etc., but it just didn't do it for me. It takes forever before the disparate stories start getting tied together, and even then, it's in some of the flimsiest manners. I kept checking my watch, as I hadn't realized beforehand that the running time was 172 minutes.

If you're a Wachowski sibling fanboy, you might enjoy it. Otherwise, I'd recommend that you wait for it to drop in price or hit the disc/demand market.
That's kind of what the book felt like. I'm still flabbergasted that they actually made a movie of it.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Torfish wrote:We are working through all the Star Trek TV shows and movies in order. Very fun! And there is lots to get through. Just about ready for season 5 of next generation. My 13 year girls love next generation, who would of thought that!

My wife and I are finishing 24. We are on the last few episodes of season 8, which is an awesome season.. wow! Can't wait for the movie.
We've been watching the animated series lately. I've seen all the TOS and TNG episodes and movies (except Nemesis) multiple times, but not the animated ones.

Conform or be cast out!
PLW

Post by PLW »

Castle, on my snazzy new HD-DVR. I had never seen it, and I find it very amusing.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I got through Season 5 of Burn Notice, actually having to go the physical media route from Netflix. As much as I want to be current, I really don't want to spend $30+ to get them streaming from Amazon.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Hrdina wrote:
Torfish wrote:We are working through all the Star Trek TV shows and movies in order. Very fun! And there is lots to get through. Just about ready for season 5 of next generation. My 13 year girls love next generation, who would of thought that!

My wife and I are finishing 24. We are on the last few episodes of season 8, which is an awesome season.. wow! Can't wait for the movie.
We've been watching the animated series lately. I've seen all the TOS and TNG episodes and movies (except Nemesis) multiple times, but not the animated ones.

We're halfway through the third of four disks. The animation is dreadful and the stories don't lend themselves to the 20-minute format very well...but there are occasional flashes of the old ToS chemistry. Worth watching for diehard fans.