Whatcha Watchin'?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

KKBlue

Re: Whatcha Watchin'?

Post by KKBlue »

PLW wrote:Castle, on my snazzy new HD-DVR. I had never seen it, and I find it very amusing.
Ooh la-la very nice! Castle enjoyment goes up if you watched Firefly too. The current season is a little iffy with us, based on the last two shows BUT don't stop watchin'... Good stuff :D

We are watchin' Parks and Recreation. Season 3 is so freakin' funny! Turtles are condescending. Camping, Fancy Party, and Soulmate are hysterical! Watched those 3 back to back... OMG, GREAT stuff there! Could of finished the season tonight and laughed ourselves to sleep.
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Apparently Netflix let their Watch Instantly lapse on Farscape. It's a good thing I bought them all on DVD a while back.

The gf was familiar with it, but hadn't watched it in any sort of order, so we're working our way through and about to finish the first season.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I watched the first 37 episodes of the West Wing over the holidays. I've seen the all before, but it was fun to see them again. That was a really good show.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

My DVR has been storing The Mindy Project for months. Over the holidays we finally got caught up on everything else, so we watched the first few episodes. It's good for a few chuckles. I can't recommend it but it's an OK fallback when there's nothing else to watch.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

My DVR shows that it's set to record the season premiere of Justified next week. Archer should be starting up soon along with Being Human (US version), Lost Girl, and yeah I'll admit I watch it, Dowington Abbey. Some good TV watching in my future.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

2012 was the year of Dexter. We watched all 7 seasons but apparently our timing was off as now we have to wait the better part of a year for the final season.

Out of desperation we watched the first episode of American Horror Story season 1. The best I can say is we crossed that one off our list quickly.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

coopasonic wrote: Out of desperation we watched the first episode of American Horror Story season 1. The best I can say is we crossed that one off our list quickly.
Too bad. It eventually becomes a great little show. Season 2 has been so over the top it's ridiculous...and awesome.
$iljanus wrote:My DVR shows that it's set to record the season premiere of Justified next week. Archer should be starting up soon along with Being Human (US version), Lost Girl, and yeah I'll admit I watch it, Dowington Abbey. Some good TV watching in my future.
With the exception of Downton Abbey, our DVR's could be twins. Justified is one of those rare shows that I actually watch WHILE it's being recorded.
He won. Period.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I found a game show that has me watching. (Do we call all game shows Reality TV now?) Chopped, presumably on the Food Network pulled me in for reasons I'm not quite sure. I'm not even sure how TV landed on the station. It's got no drama or anything. It's just four people given randomish ingredients (nothing crazy just random) and has them make them into a dish in a half an hour three times over the course of a show.

I guess I'm impressed that any single person can cook any dish from components scratch in a half an hour, much less think up what it is they are going to make in that time and then make it work. And it's cool to watch a group of people being creative and competing from nothing in a condensed time frame with their lifetime's arsenal knowledge about their trade and it's food so seeing them work gives me a better idea of how to better cook myself.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

LordMortis wrote:I found a game show that has me watching. (Do we call all game shows Reality TV now?) Chopped, presumably on the Food Network pulled me in for reasons I'm not quite sure. I'm not even sure how TV landed on the station. It's got no drama or anything. It's just four people given randomish ingredients (nothing crazy just random) and has them make them into a dish in a half an hour three times over the course of a show.
Elise enjoys this show which means I watch it on occasion.

She also likes the cupcake version, Cupcake Wars and last night watched the dessert version, Sweet Genius

They're kind of running the concept into the ground.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Friday's film releases:

Texas Chainsaw 3D

A Dark Truth
Starring Andy Garcia, Eva Longoria, Forest Whitaker
A former CIA operative turned political talk show host is hired by a corporate whistle blower to expose her company's cover-up of a massacre in a South American village.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Watched my first episode of Portlandia where the main actors got caught up in a Battlestar Galactica marathon and when the series ended they suffered from BSG withdrawal so they tracked down "Ronald D. Moore" to have him create another episode. Having two actual actors from BSG guest star in the eps was a fun surprise. That along with "Celebrating Allergy Day" was hilarious. Now catching up on all the Portlandia I can eat and setting the DVR for tonight's season premiere.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

$iljanus wrote:Now catching up on all the Portlandia I can eat and setting the DVR for tonight's season premiere.
Thanks for the heads up!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Went and caught an IMAX showing of Skyfall this afternoon, then caught Cirque du Soleil: Worlds Away in 3D with the fiance. If you dig the Cirque and are a fan of the Beatles, it's worth a look. The 3D isn't overbearing, the acrobatic skills are impressive. I'm not a huge fan of the art style that they use, but you can't win them all.

They tied an overaeching story into a trip around to all the Cirque standing performances, which means they didn't have to leave Vegas very much. I'd seen some of the behind the scenes for various shows, and it's still technically very impressive to go along with the acrobatic and aquatic skill of the performers.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Trying to get caught up on Downton Abbey. 3/4 of the way through season 2. Two episodes tonight.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

01/18 Film Releases:

Mama (Horror)
The Last Stand (Schwarzenegger)
Broken City (Wahlberg, Crowe)
Luv (Drama starring Common)
Outside Satan (Foreign Drama, NYC only)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Red band trailer for The Last Stand
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Isgrimnur wrote:01/18 Film Releases:

Mama (Horror)
The Last Stand (Schwarzenegger)
Broken City (Wahlberg, Crowe)
Luv (Drama starring Common)
Outside Satan (Foreign Drama, NYC only)
So you are watching all of those? Busy weekend.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:P Not quite.
PLW

Post by PLW »

I've been watching Supernatural on Netflix. I think the least realistic part of the show is the number of near-victims that are hot women. It is, also, perhaps my favorite part.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

PLW wrote:I've been watching Supernatural on Netflix. I think the least realistic part of the show is the number of near-victims that are hot women. It is, also, perhaps my favorite part.
That is the primary criteria I use to select TV shows. If they don't have an attractive central character, there damn well better be a parade of attractive guest stars. I like that Castle delivers on both counts and throws humor on top. It may be the only major network show I am left caring about now (well BBT). Come back The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones!

====

Huh. Now that I think of it, I don't find anyone in TWD or GoT attractive. Apparently loving the world/story can be a proxy for hotties. It just doesn't happen on network TV.

====

Edit to the edit, I find many of the actresses in GoT attractive (Lena Headey), but their characters make them unattractive (Cersei).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Lost Girl (finally got to see the last episode of Season 2!), Archer, The Mentalist.

Waiting for Revolution to resume.

Thus ends quality wife time TV.

And these cartoons: Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Young Justice:Invasion and Green Lantern.

Waiting for Avengers and Iron Man:Armored Avenger if they come back again. (yes, I generally like all the comic book super hero cartoons, though I haven't caught any running on MTV or G4, just the ones on the actual cartoon channels).

Also wwaiting for Dr Who to return

Some of this is quality kid time, sometimes just me.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The fiance and I sat down to watch How to Lose Friends & Alienate People last night. We turned it off an hour in. There just wasn't enough there to keep our interest.

I tried pulling up the spoilers on it today to see what we missed by not finishing it, and I got bored reading through those.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

New Releases this week:

Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters Jeremy Renner
Parker Jason Statham
Movie 43 star studded cast, hard R rating
Race 2
John Dies at the End Limited release
Yossi sequel to Yossi and Jagger
Happy People: A Year in the Taiga (2010) Werner Herzog documentary
Knife Fight Rob Lowe; Limited release
Noobz
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

We just got back from Django Unchained and enjoyed it greatly. In terms of Oscar nominations, we would put it behind Silver Linings Playbook. She puts it behind because of the gore factor, me because the character development that's present in SLP.

I'm going to try and make Zero Dark Thirty next weekend with a buddy of mine.
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

Last night we started the documentary on Woody Allen. I wasn't expecting much but I'm really looking forward to watching the rest of it tonight. Did a search on OO to see if there was a Woody Allen thread. The board seems mixed with likes and dislikes as well as ripe with plenty of jokes. The documentary does talk about relationships so I'm wondering how much will be commented on.

Over all, I think it's one of the best documentary's I've seen. It's not cheesy or boring. Probably because Woody had a hand in the making of, there is a lot of background information, pictures and interviews. For the record, I could take or leave Woody Allen but wanted to see what the film offered. Actually starting to like him a bit more, different perspective.
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I have just made that executive decision that it is time for my yearly re-watch of the 1937 version of The Prisoner of Zenda.

See you all in an hour and a half.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Watched The Usual Suspects last night. The fiancee hadn't seen it. She called the end just over halfway through the film.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

Isgrimnur wrote:Watched The Usual Suspects last night. The fiancee hadn't seen it. She called the end just over halfway through the film.
Rules for movies with a mystery to solve:
1. Figure out if you're watching A) the kind of movie that plays it straight or B) the kind of movie that keeps you guessing/has a twist ending.
2. If A, then it was the most obvious person. If B, then it was the least obvious person, or Kevin Spacey.

Also works for books.

Do not apply rules if you wish to not have the ending of 90% of everything spoiled for you.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

I dont know if anyone else is watching Vegas. Its a decent show with some pretty good actors in it. And one surprise. For those who remember Alcatraz, the female lead in Alcatraz plays a mobsters daughter in Vegas. Shes great in the role and looks awesome in the early 60's style they use. Way hotter than her Alcatraz role.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Doomboy

Post by Doomboy »

Oh, so that's why she looks familiar. I couldn't figure it out.

The Americans was on FX last night. I liked it. I hope it doesn't get cancelled.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

New Releases this Week

Warm Bodies - zombie teen love film
Bullet to the Head - Stallone's newest film
Stand Up Guys - Pacino, Walken, and Alan Arkin as aging criminals
The Gatekeepers - documentary on Shin Bet
The Haunting in Connecticut 2: Ghosts of Georgia
Sound City - Limited, documentary on a Calif. recording studio
Koch - NYC, documentary on Ed.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Doomboy wrote:Oh, so that's why she looks familiar. I couldn't figure it out.

The Americans was on FX last night. I liked it. I hope it doesn't get cancelled.
I liked it more than I thought I would. The only downside was Keri Russell. For some reason I've always had an instant dislike of her in anything.

The actor who plays the husband is the standout for me though. I find his dilemma in the marriage to be interesting...plus he's a badass to boot. I just wish they hadn't been so heavy with the "Errol" character. I would imagine a pedophile wouldn't advertise to a crowded mall that he wants to have sex with a 13 year old. They could've made him a villain without doing it so comically.

The fed next door is a close second. I think there's a lot to mine in that character...especially if his reluctance to talk about his days working undercover in a white supremacist group is any indication.
He won. Period.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

We've been watching Merlin on Netflix. Sure it's a little cheesy, but it's quite entertaining so far. We're about 5-6 episodes and we always want to watch just one more episode.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Doomboy

Post by Doomboy »

hepcat wrote:
Doomboy wrote:Oh, so that's why she looks familiar. I couldn't figure it out.

I liked it more than I thought I would. The only downside was Keri Russell. For some reason I've always had an instant dislike of her in anything.

The actor who plays the husband is the standout for me though. I find his dilemma in the marriage to be interesting...plus he's a badass to boot. I just wish they hadn't been so heavy with the "Errol" character. I would imagine a pedophile wouldn't advertise to a crowded mall that he wants to have sex with a 13 year old. They could've made him a villain without doing it so comically.

The fed next door is a close second. I think there's a lot to mine in that character...especially if his reluctance to talk about his days working undercover in a white supremacist group is any indication.
Yeah, I agree. I like the husband, but hate the wife. I think that is what we are supposed to do right now though. She is obviously the "bad" one. I found it amusing that the neighbor got onto them right away. I never saw them acting that suspicious around him. That makes two instances of characters having a sixth sense in the show just during the first episode.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It was the car that made him suspicious. Remember that there was a witness to the abduction and he described two men and a women, then the make and color of the car. The fed next door wasn't suspicious until he saw the husband with that same make and model car in his driveway.

I also think we're supposed to believe that the fed has a history of not trusting people, if that conversation between he and his wife concerning his trust issues is any indication.
He won. Period.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Isgrimnur wrote:New Releases this Week
Koch - NYC, documentary on Ed.
That is one seriously prescient release date.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Captain Blood. This movie always makes me want to play Sid Meiers Pirates.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Just got done watching Ted. The fiancée and I are in agreement that it was just amusing enough to not get up and turn it off.