Whatcha Watchin'?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LordMortis

Re: Whatcha Watchin'?

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote:Also The Inner Light, probably my favorite episode across all of Trek.
Also a good call.

Maybe it's time to watch the Next Gen series again... Like need to waste a month of weekends...
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LordMortis wrote:Maybe it's time to watch the Next Gen series again... Like need to waste a month of weekends...
It's all available on Netflix streaming now.
Odin

Post by Odin »

LordMortis wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:Also The Inner Light, probably my favorite episode across all of Trek.
Also a good call.

Maybe it's time to watch the Next Gen series again... Like need to waste a month of weekends...
There are Four Lights, The Inner Light, Yesterday's Enterprise, and the series finale "All Good Things" were among my favorites. Hardly anything from the first season even qualifies as "watchable" for me, let alone "good."
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote:
LordMortis wrote:Maybe it's time to watch the Next Gen series again... Like need to waste a month of weekends...
No Netflix, but I've got all 7 seasons of DVDs that haven't been watched in over ten years (I guess that would be like 15 maybe if you count it since the first season was released). I think buying the ST:tNG DVDs (to the tune of like $800) as they individually came out and only ever watching them once was the beginning of the the end of my buying DVDs.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LordMortis wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:
No Netflix, but I've got all 7 seasons of DVDs that haven't been watched in over ten years (I guess that would be like 15 maybe if you count it since the first season was released). I think buying the ST:tNG DVDs (to the tune of like $800) as they individually came out and only ever watching them once was the beginning of the the end of my buying DVDs.
Me, too. I bought all of TNG and all of DS9. Eventually sold them for a surprisingly good haul on eBay (something like 70% of what I paid for them). But I meant *all* of the Star Trek series are now on Netflix, as well as the recent movie. I need to finish up Voyager and Enterprise one of these days...
Odin

Post by Odin »

Hmm, that's interesting. I think I quit watching DS9 around the time Jadzhia Dax was killed off. Pretty sure I missed the last season or two.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I think I've got a new one for the board. Many of you are probably familiar with the late '70s TV classic Battlestar Galactica. Did you know that the SciFi channel (back when it was the SciFi channel) remade this series a few years back? I bet you didn't, and that's why there were never any threads about it here!

Anyhoo, I'm just about done with Season 3 on Netflix instant watch, and I've been enjoying it (for the most part) quite a bit.

I'm also enjoying the surprisingly entertaining Drinking Made Easy (on HDNet or some such channel). It has no business being entertaining instead of obnoxious, but I do like it.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Odin

Post by Odin »

ImLawBoy wrote:I think I've got a new one for the board. Many of you are probably familiar with the late '70s TV classic Battlestar Galactica. Did you know that the SciFi channel (back when it was the SciFi channel) remade this series a few years back? I bet you didn't, and that's why there were never any threads about it here!

Anyhoo, I'm just about done with Season 3 on Netflix instant watch, and I've been enjoying it (for the most part) quite a bit.
I was a HUGE fan until shortly before the part you've reached. Right about there I lost all faith in the writers to a) actually know where the hell they were going with the show before they got there and b) tell a story that didn't involve literal magic (as opposed to sci-fi that just resembled magic due to advanced complexity).

Glad you're enjoying it. I sincerely wanted to. I think I've seen the pilot movie around 20 times.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

LordMortis wrote:
Also a good call.

And they'll be available in HD soon ;)
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Odin wrote:
ImLawBoy wrote:I think I've got a new one for the board. Many of you are probably familiar with the late '70s TV classic Battlestar Galactica. Did you know that the SciFi channel (back when it was the SciFi channel) remade this series a few years back? I bet you didn't, and that's why there were never any threads about it here!

I was a HUGE fan until shortly before the part you've reached. Right about there I lost all faith in the writers to a) actually know where the hell they were going with the show before they got there and b) tell a story that didn't involve literal magic (as opposed to sci-fi that just resembled magic due to advanced complexity).

Glad you're enjoying it. I sincerely wanted to. I think I've seen the pilot movie around 20 times.
Watched the season 3 finale last night. It felt like Stephen King was a co-writer with the "All Along the Watchtower" stuff. It was OK, but not spectacular, which is interesting since my favorite part of the series so far was the beginning of the season (Exodus). That was phenomenal TV.
Spoiler:
I thought the death of Starbuck was anti-climactic and handled poorly, and I wasn't at all surprised to see her return in the finale.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Odin

Post by Odin »

ImLawBoy wrote:
Spoiler:
I thought the death of Starbuck was anti-climactic and handled poorly, and I wasn't at all surprised to see her return in the finale.
Spoiler:
Yeah, that was just one of many examples where I was left wondering whether the writers were even trying. Though I believe by that point I'd pretty well concluded that they weren't, or that they were incompetent.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Damn. Netflix pulled all of the Bond movies from streaming. I was only halfway through The Spy Who Loved Me. This has forced me to put this project on hold.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Skinypupy wrote:I recently finished watching all 7 seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer for the first time, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I had always written Buffy off as a cheesy teen show, and was amazed at how great it actually was. I jumped right into Angel and am about midway through Season 2. While I don't like it nearly as much (mainly because the supporting cast is pretty dull, while Buffy's was simply stellar), it's still decent and certainly shows some potential.
I was a big fan of Buffy when it originally aired, and a couple of months ago, I went back an watched all 7 seasons again via Netflicks. What a great ride that was. It was interesting to watch the second time, knowing where things were going. It allowed to tie some things together plotwise that I might have missed before, and also it was cool seeing the characters develop given you knew where the writers were going with them.

That said, I got the HBO mini-series "The Pacific" for XMas and I am really enjoying this.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Odin

Post by Odin »

Archinerd wrote:Damn. Netflix pulled all of the Bond movies from streaming. I was only halfway through The Spy Who Loved Me. This has forced me to put this project on hold.
That drives me absolutely out of my mind. Even though I know it's not strictly Netflix's fault (they lost the rights to stream it for whatever reason - I'm sure they would if they could) it really taints their service for me and certainly contributed to my plan to discontinue it very soon.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Archinerd wrote:Damn. Netflix pulled all of the Bond movies from streaming. I was only halfway through The Spy Who Loved Me. This has forced me to put this project on hold.

Nobody does half as good as you. No wait. Strike that. Reverse it.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Saw the New Sherlock Holmes movie in theaters this weekend and enjoyed it. Stephen Fry was excellent in his role.

Watched the first episode of Torchwood on Saturday and Black Death on Netflix last night.
With Black Death, I was kinda left wondering what the whole point was. If there was some deeper meaning behind the film, just watching it failed to explain it to me. Maybe I'm just not the target demographic for that kind of film.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

For our 6-month anniversary, I took the GF downtown to the Hard Rock, which was better than expected. To round out the night, I had Disc 1 of Season 2 of Archer. We spent the rest of the night watching every episode on the disc.

She told me she wants to work at ISIS.
Odin

Post by Odin »

I've begun watching "Lost Girl" on Syfy and "The Fades" on BBC America. Also, "Being Human" is back on on SyFy (the American version) and I absolutely LOVE that show. I'd forgotten how much I enjoy it until the season started back up again. The jury's still out on the two new shows - Lost Girl looks promising, The Fades was a bit dull.
ska5fe

Post by ska5fe »

Just finished all 4 seasons of Burn Notice that are available on Netflix. I definitely enjoyed it way more than I thought I would. Yes, it's predictable and formulaic, but I think I just enjoyed the catharsis at the end of every episode enough to overlook those facts. Also, Bruce Campbell.

Watching Sherlock Season 2, will probably finish it off with episode 3 tonight.

Recently watched season 1 of Downton Abbey on Netflix, then my sister-in-law gave us season 2 around Christmas, and we also saw the Christmas Special. I thought season 2 was really good, and can't wait for Season 3. Another show I enjoyed way more than I expected to.

Will probably start Terriers very soon.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

For Netflix you can put things in your instant queue, and it will show you when those movies expire. usually they give you a 1-2 week notice when things will expire. I check back on it frequently just to see if there is anythign imminent I might be losing. I've also noticed some things do come back.

Shows I've seen recently via Netflix

2 British shows which I've found to be pretty damn funny

Coupling - basically a group of 6 20-30ish folks and their travails

The IT Crowd - Centers around 3 workers who work in an IT department of a corporation.

I've really enjoyed both of them, and have had a lot gut busting laughs. I dont want to oversell either of them. But I'd highly recommend them.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Newcastle wrote: Coupling - basically a group of 6 20-30ish folks and their travails
Great show. The final season isn't as good though. One of the main characters leaves the show and is replaced with a character that can't quite fill the shoes of his predecessor. The series finale seems a bit abrupt too.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Archinerd wrote:
Newcastle wrote: Coupling - basically a group of 6 20-30ish folks and their travails
Great show. The final season isn't as good though. One of the main characters leaves the show and is replaced with a character that can't quite fill the shoes of his predecessor. The series finale seems a bit abrupt too.
I actually felt ok w/ his leaving. He was a good complement, but not the centerpiece for me. I think they were able to carry on fine. But that's me. For those oriented to his humor, I can see why. I thought the replacement had huge shoes to fill though in that role.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote:To round out the night, I had Disc 1 of Season 2 of Archer. We spent the rest of the night watching every episode on the disc.
There's a keeper. I need one of those. Many years ago I told myself that the test for dating should be to sit down and watch The Blues Brothers and actually laugh together over the movie. To have her say things like "They got SCMODS" and "I hate Illinois NAZIs" mean it. I have found that one who failed this test have basically lied about their tastes in stuff and at some point we become strangers.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote:For our 6-month anniversary, I took the GF downtown to the Hard Rock, which was better than expected. To round out the night, I had Disc 1 of Season 2 of Archer. We spent the rest of the night watching every episode on the disc.

She told me she wants to work at ISIS.
Remember, 2 month's salary is just a guideline...
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Whatcha Watchin'?

Post by Isgrimnur »

My thoughts are already running in that general direction. But my parents have Grandma's ring in safe deposit for me. If nothing else, I can hopefully salvage the gem.

And I won't be pulling the trigger on that until at least another six months from now.
Odin

Post by Odin »

Knowing that I'm canceling Netflix soon has spurred me to watch some of the shows and movies that have been hanging in my queue for quite some time. First up, I decided to tackle the 2006 BBC America series Robin Hood, having seen and liked one episode back about a year ago.

It's not a super-serious show, and is occasionally a little silly (nothing like the 60s-era Batman or anything), but just having finished the first season I'm definitely enjoying it. It's entertaining enough that when my wife and daughter sat down in the room where I was watching it, they immediately got sucked in and complained loudly when I turned it off to go somewhere else. I had thought they were busy sewing and chatting, but evidently they liked the show.

My wife and I are also watching the True Grit remake in the evenings, and so far I'm liking it VERY much.
PLW

Post by PLW »

Just watched the first season on The Walking Dead on Netflix. Can't wait for the second season to come out.
Odin

Post by Odin »

PLW wrote:Just watched the first season on The Walking Dead on Netflix. Can't wait for the second season to come out.
If you get AMC, they're getting ready to start the second half of season 2 very soon. I wouldn't be surprised if they re-air the first half in a marathon or somesuch.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Went and saw Safe House with the gf last night. It's a pretty good little spy thriller with some visceral fights. But it's full of the shaky cam.

Watched The Keys of Marinus as well. Which will henceforth be known to me as Doctor Who: Don't Split the Party. It was not one of the better Hartnell episode arcs, probably partly because he wasn't even in 1/3 of it.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I breezed through the first season of Louie on Netflix Instant last week. The show is hilarious. And often times a bit depressing, but in a funny way.

Here's a NSFW clip from one of the funnier moments where he visits the doctor.
Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

For the non-netflixters (like myself, thanks, but the 200+ cable channels are enough of a drain...), who wanted to watch the BattleStar Galatica remake, BBC America has been playing them on Saturday nights, 2 episodes a whack (7-9 PM Eastern). With periodic marathons of episodes. First time I've watched, not sure where they are in the series exactly but think it's close to the middle of the final season.
Spoiler:
The rebel cylons had were prepping to help the fleet attack the resurrection station, then their ship jumped out w/ the President on board - have the next epsisode DVR'd. And I agree, first 3 seasons were better, 4th season is freaking weird, but I'm sticking it out.
Trying out Lost Girl.

Once upon a time and The Mentalist constitute quality time w/ the wife.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

I'm about 5 episodes into the first Season of The Wire. It's kind of a slow burn but very good so far.

The wife and I are also watching a lot of Top Gear on BBCA and Netflix. It's almost become our default show when we do not have anything else specific to watch.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Freezer-TPF- wrote:I'm about 5 episodes into the first Season of The Wire.
Oh how I envy you.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I've been watching Dexter. Almost done with season 2. Loving it.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

My Blu Rays of Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings came in today. :horse:

So I watched the first hour of The Century of Warfare and the Sabres-Hurricanes game...
DD*

Post by DD* »

YellowKing wrote:I've been watching all the Star Trek movies, in order, since I've never seen any of them. I've never been a big Trek fan, but figured as a geek I should probably brush up on it.

They are rather painful... :D
Especially the odd numbered ones.
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Odin

Post by Odin »

I've started watching the U.K. version of "Being Human," because the U.S. version is completely and in all ways awesome. I definitely prefer the U.S. version (partly due to the actors, whom I just prefer, and probably partly because the U.S. producers had a chance to make improvements on the original), but the U.K. version is pretty good, too.

I've decided that I'm going to stop watching the U.K. version when/if I catch up to the same point in the story where the U.S. version currently is. I'm midway through season 1 of the U.K. version and the stories are still pretty similar. Even if they begin to diverge more, I'd be concerned of spoiling the U.S. show for myself.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

DD* wrote:
YellowKing wrote:I've been watching all the Star Trek movies, in order, since I've never seen any of them. I've never been a big Trek fan, but figured as a geek I should probably brush up on it.

I will never see ST5 again under my own free will.
Odin

Post by Odin »

gbasden wrote:
DD* wrote:

I will never see ST5 again under my own free will.
ST5 is literally the only movie I've ever walked out of. Granted, it was part of a double-feature and I'd already seen it at least once, but it's still an ignominious distinction. What a piece of crap.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Isgrimnur wrote:My Blu Rays of Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings came in today. :horse:

So I watched the first hour of The Century of Warfare and the Sabres-Hurricanes game...
Yeah, my blu ray copies (of both, now that I think about it) are sitting on the shelf untouched at this point. Instead, I've watched mediocre current episodes of Survivor, Office, and that new show Awake. Meanwhile, unwatched new episodes of HIMYM and BBT are sitting on the DVR. Of course, I can't multitask with RSS feeds and message boards if I'm actively watching TV I like. :doh: