Whatcha Watchin'?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: Whatcha Watchin'?

Post by Isgrimnur »

Watched A Beautiful Mind last night. Only seventeen years late to the party.

Initially, I did not like his wife's character, as she seemed very pushy. But then, Nash probably would not have gotten anywhere with someone not of her demeanor. I can see why Connolly was awarded for her performance, though.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Started season 4 of Arrested Development on DVD. A couple of the first 6 episodes were clunkers, but when it fires on all cylinders it's a lot of fun.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:14 pm Finished up the Star Trek Animated Series and moved on to the movies. The Motion Picture has been viewed. Five more, and I can graduate to to Next Gen.
Done with the six Star Wars films. Time to shift to Next Gen on Netflix. Also, re-watched the first Mission Impossible film. Just to make the rest of you feel old, the first one was from 1996. It's taken us 22 years to get six made.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Killer Clowns from Outer Space. It seems my son's interest in vintage pop culture extends beyond old video games.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The wife and I watched Happy Death Day this week. It's a nice little Whodunnit to Me? film.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Just started Babylon Berlin, a crime series set in 1929 Germany.

It's very stylish and intricate and cool so far. I've read a lot about the Weimar period, and it's a perfect setting for something as neo-noir as this.

We also took the advice of a friend and opted to watch it in German with English subtitles. Very atmospheric.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

We watched Room last night at the wife's request. While certainly a well-done film, with excellent performances by the Brie Larson and Jacob Tremblay, this sort of film is just not my thing.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Yea The Prisoner is streaming on Amazon Prime! Aspect ratio is fixed for old school TVs but the HD video is pretty sharp. Watching Arrival and it’s still grabbing my interest after all these years. I love the camera work with some of the angles giving you the feel of a trapped animal or are quite disconcerting. Be seeing you!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

We have been enjoying Bobcat Goldthwait's Misfits & Monsters. It's a fun and funny take on horror anthology.

Good luck finding it though, it's on truTV. Not sure how many markets have that channel...check it out if you do have it though!

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Finally got around to starting The Good Place on Netflix last night. 5 episodes in, and the show is surprising fantastic. Bell, Danson, and Harper have wonderful chemistry.

I'm pretty sure I know what the "twist" is*, and am now very interested to see if I'm right and where that would lead.

*I haven't read any online spoilers, but my guess is that
Spoiler:
everyone in The Good Place is in a similar situation as Elanor, and isn't nearly the saint they appear to be. I also suspect that they're actually in some version of "The Bad Place", and that Michael (Danson) is some sort of devil/demon who is looking to reform them instead of punish them. Something along those lines.

I did check Rotten Tomatoes to see who the actor playing Chiti (?, Bell's 'soulmate') is, and saw that he's referred to by a different name in the credits (Chris). That fact reinforces my suspicion...and is kind of annoying if I'm right.

The reveal of the "silent monk" turning out to be a drug dealing DJ from Jacksonville was hilarious.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Each day I can, I try to find time for an episode of Agents of Shield. I'm into Season 5 now and still completely enthralled.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Paingod wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:10 am Each day I can, I try to find time for an episode of Agents of Shield. I'm into Season 5 now and still completely enthralled.
I had to take a break from AoS. I binge watched a bunch. But I got a little tired/stressed out over all the backstabbing and double-agents. It got to the point where I was like... is there anyone that I can like/accept? :) I do plan on getting back to it eventually.

Right now I'm enjoying the second season of Wynonna Earp.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I'm trying to get through he final season of the Dick Van Dyke show before Netflix drops it at the end of September. I have about 5 episodes left. I'm going to miss it, it's such a fun show.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Am I the only person watching Lodge 49? I don't even know how to describe it, but it's been a completely enjoyable experience.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

We're on S2 of Mr Robot now. Quite a ride so far, and I look forward to seeing Rami Malik play Freddie Mercury. I read that the 2019 season will be its last.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:15 am Am I the only person watching Lodge 49? I don't even know how to describe it, but it's been a completely enjoyable experience.
We've only watched two episodes so far but yeah, it looks like it's gonna be weird and good and weird.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:41 am Finally got around to starting The Good Place on Netflix last night. 5 episodes in, and the show is surprising fantastic. Bell, Danson, and Harper have wonderful chemistry.

I'm pretty sure I know what the "twist" is*, and am now very interested to see if I'm right and where that would lead.

*I haven't read any online spoilers, but my guess is that
Spoiler:
everyone in The Good Place is in a similar situation as Elanor, and isn't nearly the saint they appear to be. I also suspect that they're actually in some version of "The Bad Place", and that Michael (Danson) is some sort of devil/demon who is looking to reform them instead of punish them. Something along those lines.

I did check Rotten Tomatoes to see who the actor playing Chiti (?, Bell's 'soulmate') is, and saw that he's referred to by a different name in the credits (Chris). That fact reinforces my suspicion...and is kind of annoying if I'm right.

The reveal of the "silent monk" turning out to be a drug dealing DJ from Jacksonville was hilarious.
Called it.

Moving on to Season 2, and they've so far done an awesome job incorporating this new premise into the events of Season 1.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
moghedian

Post by moghedian »

We just finished Mr Inbetween.

A quick watch through as it's only six half hour episodes but we both thoroughly enjoyed it.

Funny and a bit violent.
A carousel horse, who is constantly lost...Standing still but always running
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Just seeing now that Z Nation has officially been cancelled over at SyFy. I can't complain too much as they had a good run - 5 years. And the show was way better than it should have been. I actually have enjoyed it more than The Walking Dead of late - the characters, the story and the fact that they never take themselves seriously. Looks like an official spin off is coming to Netflix, so maybe bigger things can happen there as well and this show be revived there. Series end is next Friday.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

We've been binge-watching Weeds and are about to start S3. Why did nobody tell me about this show back in its day? (Probably because it was on Showtime, and hence inaccessible.)
wire

Post by wire »

Just watched Happy! on Netflix that is originally on SyFy. It has Christopher Meloni as a disgraced ex-cop turned hit man and Patton Oswald as Happy, who, well you'll just have to watch it to find out who Happy is. It is dark, it is surreal, it is straight up bonkers. I loved it and can't wait until season 2.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Don't know if anyone else has decided to try The Passage (Episode 2 airs tonight) on Fox or SyFy's new series Deadly Class (Episode 2 airs Wednesday), but my mental bandwidth is such that I figured I'd give them a try. Of the two, I liked the pilot of Deadly Class more, but I'll keep watching both. Since they just started, figured I'd mention it here.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

My DVR slurped up a whole new season of Angie Tribeca. I wasn't into it until I saw the Fargo episode tonight. The rest of the season has been meh, but that one made me LOL.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:54 pm Don't know if anyone else has decided to try The Passage (Episode 2 airs tonight) on Fox
I watched the first episode last week, thought it was "meh." I'll probably keep watching it for awhile to see if gets better; but if it gets as rambling as the books did, the hope isn't high.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I watched the first episode of The Passage. I agree it wasn't that exciting, but if it gets as good as the books were, I have high hopes. :P

It does need to really grab my attention soon if it wants to compete for my limited TV time.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:17 am I watched the first episode of The Passage. I agree it wasn't that exciting, but if it gets as good as the books were, I have high hopes. :P

It does need to really grab my attention soon if it wants to compete for my limited TV time.
Now, and I'm sure you can identify, watching anything with 100% attention is near impossible with kids. But one thing I don't recall from that first episode that was kind of important...
Spoiler:
The reason the little girl (and others) were taken was because they had no family or friends to question their disappearance and they were whisked away to test the virus. The girl just happened to be the youngest and not as criminally inclined as the others, some (all? I don't recall) which were taken right from Death Row. Most of what I saw was Wolgast increasingly obsessing about the girl as the extraction started going south (well, west).
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Book and first episode spoilers.
Spoiler:
I'm pretty sure they mentioned at some point that all of the other test subjects were death row inmates, but I don't recall them also mentioning that they had no family. The books also had some sort of supernatural element to Amy even before she was taken, and the first episode didn't touch on that. Not sure what's coming up in the second episode, but I have it recorded.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Just got back from Stan and Ollie. Steve Coogan and John C. Reilly play Laurel and Hardy on their final tour in the UK and Ireland.

An enjoyable film, if you're into that sort of thing.
Holman

Post by Holman »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:17 am I watched the first episode of The Passage. I agree it wasn't that exciting, but if it gets as good as the books were, I have high hopes. :P

I watched the preview and I'm confused. Does this series begin as a prequel?

I read only the first Cronin book, but I remember that it touches on pre-disaster backstory near the end. This series appears to present itself as starting with that backstory...?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

So tonight on cable I noticed that you could watch Captain America:Civil War, Doctor Strange. Avengers Ultron, Thor:Dark World, Revenge of the Jedi and Rogue One. A couple of them overlap.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I could watch nothing since my little princess decided the TV made a great target for throwing practice and shattered our 70" screen. :cry:

$1600 later, and a 75" will be installed Wednesday.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:56 am I could watch nothing since my little princess decided the TV made a great target for throwing practice and shattered our 70" screen. :cry:

$1600 later, and a 75" will be installed Wednesday.
When does the Plexiglas protector come in?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:59 am When does the Plexiglas protector come in?
Not an accessory.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Good luck, then.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Thanks! I will get this, one of my minions recommends it, he bought one after learning the hard way as well.

Edit: and bought. The reviews are stellar. Amazon says I'll have it Wednesday, when the TV is being delivered and installed.
Last edited by Jeff V on Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's been an issue around these parts as well.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I never would have thought to look at that thread. I don't think she broke it in a fit of rage, my wife didn't even notice. She likely just threw something in the way toddlers are wont to do. I've caught some things she's thrown at me, she has a good arm.

Previously, a pixel was knocked out by something hitting the screen. My old 46" TV (it's in the bedroom now) has a whole constellation of dead pixels from when my son banged on it with a Matchbox car when he was around 2.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

When I was a tyke I threw a shoe at my toddler sister, who had the audacity to dodge. Rather than stopping at her head, the shoe hit our b&w console TV and cracked the glass plate that protected the picture tube. We watched TV through that crack for years afterwards.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Holman wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:11 pm

I watched the preview and I'm confused. Does this series begin as a prequel?

I read only the first Cronin book, but I remember that it touches on pre-disaster backstory near the end. This series appears to present itself as starting with that backstory...?
Much of the backstory occurs in Book 2. I think the show is going more chronological than the books.