Fundraising for 2019/2020: 12 Months Renewed - We are good until October 2020. Paypal Donation Link Here

Whatcha Watchin'?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Post Reply
User avatar
Kraken
Posts: 34483
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:59 pm
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Contact:
Kraken’s avatar
Offline

Re: Whatcha Watchin'?

Post by Kraken » Thu May 09, 2019 1:22 pm

Oh good, I didn't think it had a chance at another season -- too unconventional. Haven't watched this week's episode yet.

User avatar
$iljanus
Forum Moderator
Posts: 10973
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:46 pm
Location: Under the bed...your bed...

Re: Whatcha Watchin'?

Post by $iljanus » Thu May 09, 2019 2:04 pm

Kraken wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 1:22 pm
Oh good, I didn't think it had a chance at another season -- too unconventional. Haven't watched this week's episode yet.
I just saw it and it’s the best episode of the season in my opinion. And love all the episodes so far. Glad it was renewed!
tl;dr

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?

User avatar
Skinypupy
Posts: 13636
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:12 am
Location: Pac-12 Country

Re: Whatcha Watchin'?

Post by Skinypupy » Thu May 09, 2019 9:19 pm

Smoove_B wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 10:48 am
Kraken wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:42 pm
Anybody else watching "What We Do In the Shadows"? This week's episode was hilarious.
This show has been a real treat, but last night's episode was crazy. I have no idea how they managed to pull off all those guest stars, but really quite hilarious. :D
Holy shit, you weren’t kidding. That was brilliant!
“Don’t tickle the wall clown.” - MST3K

User avatar
$iljanus
Forum Moderator
Posts: 10973
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:46 pm
Location: Under the bed...your bed...

Re: Whatcha Watchin'?

Post by $iljanus » Thu May 09, 2019 9:48 pm

Skinypupy wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 10:48 am
Kraken wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:42 pm
Anybody else watching "What We Do In the Shadows"? This week's episode was hilarious.
This show has been a real treat, but last night's episode was crazy. I have no idea how they managed to pull off all those guest stars, but really quite hilarious. :D
Holy shit, you weren’t kidding. That was brilliant!
I loved the call out to the other "vampires" that couldn't be there. Like "Tom", "Brad" and "Kiefer".

tl;dr

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?

User avatar
Skinypupy
Posts: 13636
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:12 am
Location: Pac-12 Country

Re: Whatcha Watchin'?

Post by Skinypupy » Thu May 09, 2019 10:29 pm

But where was Nick?

And I keep waiting for a Stu appearance.
“Don’t tickle the wall clown.” - MST3K

User avatar
Kraken
Posts: 34483
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:59 pm
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Contact:
Kraken’s avatar
Offline

Re: Whatcha Watchin'?

Post by Kraken » Thu May 09, 2019 11:12 pm

$iljanus wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 9:48 pm
Skinypupy wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 10:48 am
Kraken wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:42 pm
Anybody else watching "What We Do In the Shadows"? This week's episode was hilarious.
This show has been a real treat, but last night's episode was crazy. I have no idea how they managed to pull off all those guest stars, but really quite hilarious. :D
Holy shit, you weren’t kidding. That was brilliant!
I loved the call out to the other "vampires" that couldn't be there. Like "Tom", "Brad" and "Kiefer".
From Slate, here's the key to the guest stars.
Spoiler:
• Tilda Swinton (Only Lovers Left Alive)
• Danny Trejo (From Dusk Till Dawn)
• Paul Reubens (the Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie)
• Evan Rachel Wood (True Blood)
• Wesley Snipes (the Blade movies), via Skype
• Clement, Waititi, and Jonny Brugh (the What We Do in the Shadows movie)

The last three reprise their characters from the film, while Swinton, Reubens, and Wood, who seem to be playing themselves, are styled like the characters they played in their respective projects. (I guess the implication is that these world-famous undead thespians played their real-life selves in certain projects to … fuck with people?)

The council members also note the absent members who couldn’t make it to the meeting: “Kiefer” (Sutherland, of The Lost Boys), “Tom and Brad” (Cruise and Pitt, of Interview With the Vampire), and “Rob” (Pattinson, of you know). And, in perhaps the sweetest touch, the episode also guest-stars Kristen Schaal as an officious intermediary between the tribunal and the accused trio—a nod to Clement’s beloved Flight of the Conchords. (These aren’t even all the cameos in the episode: Waititi’s Marvel co-star Dave Bautista, aka Drax, also makes a brief appearance.)
It was brilliant because the episode was still LOL funny even if you missed all the pop culture callouts -- as I did; I recognized half of the cameos but didn't catch their connection.

I predict more great episodes ahead.

User avatar
Skinypupy
Posts: 13636
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:12 am
Location: Pac-12 Country

Re: Whatcha Watchin'?

Post by Skinypupy » Thu May 09, 2019 11:28 pm

The only one I couldn’t figure out was “Rob”. Probably because I’ve never seen (or had any interest) in those movies.
“Don’t tickle the wall clown.” - MST3K

User avatar
pr0ner
Posts: 14482
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Northern Virginia, VA
Contact:

Re: Whatcha Watchin'?

Post by pr0ner » Tue May 14, 2019 1:04 pm

$iljanus wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 9:48 pm
Skinypupy wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 10:48 am
Kraken wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:42 pm
Anybody else watching "What We Do In the Shadows"? This week's episode was hilarious.
This show has been a real treat, but last night's episode was crazy. I have no idea how they managed to pull off all those guest stars, but really quite hilarious. :D
Holy shit, you weren’t kidding. That was brilliant!
I loved the call out to the other "vampires" that couldn't be there. Like "Tom", "Brad" and "Kiefer".
Now that I'm finally caught up, that vampire council was brilliant. As was
Spoiler:
Guillermo becoming an accidental vampire slayer
.

Also, the aftermath of the Baron trying pizza the episode prior made me cry from laughing so hard.
Hodor.

User avatar
tjg_marantz
Posts: 14670
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:54 pm
Location: Queen City, SK

Re: Whatcha Watchin'?

Post by tjg_marantz » Sun May 26, 2019 3:35 pm

Watched The Girl In The Spider's Web with Claire Foy. Oofta. Between not being to see her as anything but the queen (my problem) and the utterly boring acting she gives and the movie being paint by numbers and the continuity stuff (doesn't usually bother me) and finally the story itself (motivation etc), that was just a waste of two hours.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs

Toe
Posts: 3278
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:51 am
Location: A small world west of wonder

Re: Whatcha Watchin'?

Post by Toe » Mon May 27, 2019 10:05 am

We watched the first episode of Our Planet on netflix over the weekend. Absolutely stunning. It will be my new go-to for showing off 4k material. The cinematography is just so insane in some (most) segments. That, combined with David Attenborough's narration and some majestic music, it just really comes together. Really some of the highest quality material I have ever seen. I have seen a lot of nature programs over the years, and yet still saw some stuff in the first episode that I did not know about. Highly recommend for any nature lovers and/or anyone with 4k TV and netflix option.

User avatar
$iljanus
Forum Moderator
Posts: 10973
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:46 pm
Location: Under the bed...your bed...

Re: Whatcha Watchin'?

Post by $iljanus » Mon May 27, 2019 10:25 pm

Watching the first episode of the Hot Zone on National Geographic. Having worked in a lab for a number of years there are some small things which are bugging me. Hope Smoove is watching and we can compare notes.
tl;dr

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?

User avatar
Smoove_B
Posts: 40111
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 am
Location: Kaer Morhen

Re: Whatcha Watchin'?

Post by Smoove_B » Mon May 27, 2019 10:29 pm

:D

I have it recorded. I did read the book (it was probably one of the first I can remember reading in college after settling into my ultimate major) and being absolutely horrified. I'm quite excited to see what NatGeo does with it.

I think I'm avoiding Chernobyl for similar reasons. I know things (the horrors of these events) and I'm not sure I'm prepared to watch what I know converted to a TV drama.

User avatar
$iljanus
Forum Moderator
Posts: 10973
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:46 pm
Location: Under the bed...your bed...

Re: Whatcha Watchin'?

Post by $iljanus » Mon May 27, 2019 10:34 pm

Cocky pathologist guy running all the bacterial tests...to screen for a virus. (my mistake I think since he thinks samples had bacterial contamination) Looking a imnunohistochemical fluorescent slides on a regular microscope in a lit room. At least they're using the pipettes right. But reality is boring and hard to film. Can't say anything about their BSL4 protocol since I never had the pleasure to be working in that environment, just BSL2-3.

I did like the book when it came out though. And I'm comfortable with equal parts nitpicking and enjoying the show if all the big things are portrayed well.


LOL I can't wait till you see the ummm car trunk scene, Smoove. I'm both horrified and laughing. Wonder if that happened...
tl;dr

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?

User avatar
Smoove_B
Posts: 40111
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 am
Location: Kaer Morhen

Re: Whatcha Watchin'?

Post by Smoove_B » Tue May 28, 2019 8:53 am

Did you see NPR's fact check of the show? As I suspected (I'll be watching tonight)
Geisbert says he's sure the series "may be entertaining for the general public, but it is quite flawed in terms of any historical accuracy and there are numerous scientific flaws."
Blisters? Really?

User avatar
$iljanus
Forum Moderator
Posts: 10973
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:46 pm
Location: Under the bed...your bed...

Re: Whatcha Watchin'?

Post by $iljanus » Tue May 28, 2019 9:01 am


Smoove_B wrote:Did you see NPR's fact check of the show? As I suspected (I'll be watching tonight)
Geisbert says he's sure the series "may be entertaining for the general public, but it is quite flawed in terms of any historical accuracy and there are numerous scientific flaws."
Blisters? Really?
I did! And the pustules were rather dramatic and of course inaccurate in the opening scene. But the impending sense of doom was pretty well done in the opener with all the bodily fluids.
tl;dr

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?

User avatar
tjg_marantz
Posts: 14670
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:54 pm
Location: Queen City, SK

Re: Whatcha Watchin'?

Post by tjg_marantz » Wed May 29, 2019 2:16 am

Smoove_B wrote::D

I have it recorded. I did read the book (it was probably one of the first I can remember reading in college after settling into my ultimate major) and being absolutely horrified. I'm quite excited to see what NatGeo does with it.

I think I'm avoiding Chernobyl for similar reasons. I know things (the horrors of these events) and I'm not sure I'm prepared to watch what I know converted to a TV drama.
Missing out on Chernobyl, seriously deep and good. Check the thread and check the Slava Malamud thread.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs

User avatar
Smoove_B
Posts: 40111
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 am
Location: Kaer Morhen

Re: Whatcha Watchin'?

Post by Smoove_B » Wed May 29, 2019 10:17 am

Oh, I'm going to watch it. I'm not looking forward to it though. :D

User avatar
$iljanus
Forum Moderator
Posts: 10973
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:46 pm
Location: Under the bed...your bed...

Re: Whatcha Watchin'?

Post by $iljanus » Wed May 29, 2019 10:53 am

As I watch the melodramatic Hot Zone I'm picturing Smoove in his inspecting days talking like Ser Davos (the actor is in the Hot Zone) about the dangers of improper food storage temperatures in the most horrifying terms possible.

"The longer your food is stored above 40 F is more time in the danger zone, dammit! Are you prepared to see the horrors I've seen? The vomiting! Cramping! Anal discharge! Your fancy Michelin star won't save you then!"

tl;dr

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?

User avatar
Smoove_B
Posts: 40111
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 am
Location: Kaer Morhen

Re: Whatcha Watchin'?

Post by Smoove_B » Wed May 29, 2019 12:20 pm

I think my week in jail would make the best TV drama. I had to interview a NJ-famous murderer regarding the food she ate. I'm sure a screenwriter could punch it up to Hannibal Lecter / Clarice levels of drama.

User avatar
Isgrimnur
Posts: 62071
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Chookity pok
Contact:

Re: Whatcha Watchin'?

Post by Isgrimnur » Wed May 29, 2019 12:22 pm

The Saucing of the Lambchops.

User avatar
Smoove_B
Posts: 40111
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 am
Location: Kaer Morhen

Re: Whatcha Watchin'?

Post by Smoove_B » Wed May 29, 2019 12:25 pm

She was quite nice. I had no idea who she was until after talking about everything with my boss.

User avatar
Smoove_B
Posts: 40111
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 am
Location: Kaer Morhen

Re: Whatcha Watchin'?

Post by Smoove_B » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:34 am

$iljanus wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 10:53 am
As I watch the melodramatic Hot Zone I'm picturing Smoove in his inspecting days talking like Ser Davos (the actor is in the Hot Zone) about the dangers of improper food storage temperatures in the most horrifying terms possible.
Heh. I've watched the first episode new and it's a little cheesy, but enjoyable. For hardcore disease fans, I was happy to see another Preston character make an appearance in the opening episode - the freezer. Which freezer? The one in BSL-4 that holds the Demon. :wink:

Also, it really bothered me that Dr. Jaax was portrayed as someone that would cook stuffing inside a Thanksgiving turkey. Of all the things I'm supposed to believe, that seemed like the biggest stretch.

User avatar
Smoove_B
Posts: 40111
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 am
Location: Kaer Morhen

Re: Whatcha Watchin'?

Post by Smoove_B » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:45 am

rittchard wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:44 pm
Deadly Class - possibly the most fun/fresh new show I've seen in a while. This one's on SyFy. It's kind of a mix (based on a comic) between a high school melodrama, Harry Potter, and Scott Pilgrim. Basically a street rat kid gets recruited into a school training kids to become assassins. So you've got all the high school factions but intensified by them all being lethal killers (or wannabes). All of the main characters are interesting and compelling in different ways and it looks like they are slowly introducing larger story arcs as the show progresses.
Cancelled. I'm a bit surprised.
Syfy has opted to cancel “Deadly Class” and “Happy!”, Variety has learned.

The former, an adaptation of Rick Remender’s comic book series, starred Lana Condor, Benjamin Wadsworth and Benedict Wong. Produced by the Russo brothers, the series revolved around an orphan who becomes a student assassin at King’s Dominion High School for the Deadly Arts.

Co-production partner Sony Pictures Television will now be shopping the show in an attempt to find it a new home. The show ran for one season.

“Even if ‘Deadly Class’ talks a tough talk about being different and darker than those other high school shows, watching it walk the walk often proves more frustrating than fascinating,” wrote Variety TV critic Caroline Framke in January.

User avatar
hepcat
Posts: 39001
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Chicago, IL Home of the triple homicide!
hepcat’s avatar
Offline

Re: Whatcha Watchin'?

Post by hepcat » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:28 am

Smoove_B wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:34 am
Also, it really bothered me that Dr. Jaax was portrayed as someone that would cook stuffing inside a Thanksgiving turkey.
This info has potentially changed my life more than anything else on OO in the last decade.
I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
-Mr Bismarck

You have to whack a few rabbits before you are ready to punch a camel.
-Coopasonic

User avatar
Smoove_B
Posts: 40111
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 am
Location: Kaer Morhen

Re: Whatcha Watchin'?

Post by Smoove_B » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:41 am

:dance:

User avatar
Isgrimnur
Posts: 62071
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Chookity pok
Contact:

Re: Whatcha Watchin'?

Post by Isgrimnur » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:49 am

Women's Health
In an interview with NPR, Thomas Geisbert—then, an intern at USAMRIID and now a professor of microbiology and immunology at the University of Texas—said that Dr. Jaax didn't actually identify the Ebola virus. Instead, he says he and Peter Jahrling (played by Topher Grace on the show) did.

"Medically speaking Nancy is a veterinary pathologist not a virologist or microbiologist," he said. "The whole sequence of events where she is trying to culture the virus is a joke. Pathologists don't do that—virologists do."

User avatar
Smoove_B
Posts: 40111
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 am
Location: Kaer Morhen

Re: Whatcha Watchin'?

Post by Smoove_B » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:48 am

$iljanus wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 10:53 am
As I watch the melodramatic Hot Zone I'm picturing Smoove in his inspecting days talking like Ser Davos (the actor is in the Hot Zone) about the dangers of improper food storage temperatures in the most horrifying terms possible.
He really is entertaining and that anyone would think of me as cut from the same cloth is flattering. :D

I'm almost done with the show. It's definitely entertaining. So far the other moments that stood out were when Dr. Jaax went into the train station to look for Dr. Eric Foreman and as she was standing around, she started noticing all the potential transmissions and fomites. That's pretty much how I see things all the time when I'm out in public, so I appreciated that.

The other part that made me laugh was when Carter was in the second monkey storage area wearing his Level A gear and the two guys just walked in to ask who he was and what he was doing. Health Tip: If you're ever somewhere that someone is wearing Level A protective gear and you're standing around in a T-shirt and jeans? You're in big trouble.

User avatar
$iljanus
Forum Moderator
Posts: 10973
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:46 pm
Location: Under the bed...your bed...

Re: Whatcha Watchin'?

Post by $iljanus » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:47 pm

Smoove_B wrote:
$iljanus wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 10:53 am
As I watch the melodramatic Hot Zone I'm picturing Smoove in his inspecting days talking like Ser Davos (the actor is in the Hot Zone) about the dangers of improper food storage temperatures in the most horrifying terms possible.
He really is entertaining and that anyone would think of me as cut from the same cloth is flattering. :D

I'm almost done with the show. It's definitely entertaining. So far the other moments that stood out were when Dr. Jaax went into the train station to look for Dr. Eric Foreman and as she was standing around, she started noticing all the potential transmissions and fomites. That's pretty much how I see things all the time when I'm out in public, so I appreciated that.

The other part that made me laugh was when Carter was in the second monkey storage area wearing his Level A gear and the two guys just walked in to ask who he was and what he was doing. Health Tip: If you're ever somewhere that someone is wearing Level A protective gear and you're standing around in a T-shirt and jeans? You're in big trouble.
I stopped watching for a bit but I found the bloody trunk of monkey corpses hysterical.
tl;dr

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?

User avatar
coopasonic
Posts: 16177
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:43 pm
Location: Dallas-ish

Re: Whatcha Watchin'?

Post by coopasonic » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:45 am

We are 6 episodes into The Handmaid's Tale. So disturbing, yet also riveting.
-Coop

User avatar
tjg_marantz
Posts: 14670
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:54 pm
Location: Queen City, SK

Re: Whatcha Watchin'?

Post by tjg_marantz » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:20 pm

6 episodes into Das Boot, the new tv series. Really recommend it if you like your WWII shows. I suspect I'll finish the 8 episodes by tonight or tomorrow.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs

User avatar
rittchard
Posts: 1051
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:16 pm
rittchard’s avatar
Offline

Re: Whatcha Watchin'?

Post by rittchard » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:03 pm

coopasonic wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:45 am
We are 6 episodes into The Handmaid's Tale. So disturbing, yet also riveting.
What Season? If Season 1, please hurry so I have someone to chat with about the current season lol.

Was just going to comment on Season 3. It hasn't been what I'd expected or hoped for (yet), but last night's episode I just found totally riveting and heartbreaking in the best, most Handmaidsy-frustrating way. Also the camera work just and direction just seemed a step above previous episodes, I found it really artistic in a way I hadn't noticed before. Really just fantastic all around.

User avatar
coopasonic
Posts: 16177
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:43 pm
Location: Dallas-ish

Re: Whatcha Watchin'?

Post by coopasonic » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:14 pm

rittchard wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:03 pm
coopasonic wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:45 am
We are 6 episodes into The Handmaid's Tale. So disturbing, yet also riveting.
What Season? If Season 1, please hurry so I have someone to chat with about the current season lol.

Was just going to comment on Season 3. It hasn't been what I'd expected or hoped for (yet), but last night's episode I just found totally riveting and heartbreaking in the best, most Handmaidsy-frustrating way. Also the camera work just and direction just seemed a step above previous episodes, I found it really artistic in a way I hadn't noticed before. Really just fantastic all around.
Sorry can't help you on season 3 yet. I think we are on episode 7 or 8 of season 2 now. I'm still really enjoying it, but we watch 5-6 episodes a week so it will be a little bit before we are caught up (and S3 of Stranger Things drops next week so we might detour for that).
-Coop

User avatar
Kraken
Posts: 34483
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:59 pm
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Contact:
Kraken’s avatar
Offline

Re: Whatcha Watchin'?

Post by Kraken » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:43 pm

We're nearing the end of S1 of Dark Matter. It has its moments, but it doesn't rank up there with the best sf shows. Will finish it since it only lasted two seasons, but I can't recommend it.

User avatar
dbt1949
Posts: 20908
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:34 am
Location: Hogeye Arkansas

Re: Whatcha Watchin'?

Post by dbt1949 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:08 pm

For the last few weeks I've been watching West Wing. The show still holds up 15-20 years later.
The first 3 seasons are the best by far. The fourth is pretty good, the fifth is okay and then it starts going downhill somewhat.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949

User avatar
rittchard
Posts: 1051
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:16 pm
rittchard’s avatar
Offline

Re: Whatcha Watchin'?

Post by rittchard » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:48 pm

Kraken wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:43 pm
We're nearing the end of S1 of Dark Matter. It has its moments, but it doesn't rank up there with the best sf shows. Will finish it since it only lasted two seasons, but I can't recommend it.
I really enjoyed it and was bummed out when it got cancelled. It wasn't that it was really good sci-fi but I just enjoyed the cast a lot and I felt like the show had a fun energy to it. Reminded me a lot of Farscape.

User avatar
Kraken
Posts: 34483
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:59 pm
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Contact:
Kraken’s avatar
Offline

Re: Whatcha Watchin'?

Post by Kraken » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:32 pm

rittchard wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:48 pm
Kraken wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:43 pm
We're nearing the end of S1 of Dark Matter. It has its moments, but it doesn't rank up there with the best sf shows. Will finish it since it only lasted two seasons, but I can't recommend it.
I really enjoyed it and was bummed out when it got cancelled. It wasn't that it was really good sci-fi but I just enjoyed the cast a lot and I felt like the show had a fun energy to it. Reminded me a lot of Farscape.
It's solid enough adventure-type storytelling in a sf setting with all the expected space-opera tropes. Plot points are often obvious and the writing can be lazy. A few episodes ago they were about to run into a mysterious enemy on an abandoned space ship. "Oh no," I said to Wife, "please don't let it be space zombies." It was space zombies. Tonight there was an armed nuclear missile closing on their ship and the android calmly said "the ship will be vaporized in 15 seconds." "No it won't," I said. It wasn't. It has too many :rolleyes: moments like that. The black guy's a marginal actor and the samurai dude is a walking cliche.

But they've thrown a couple of curveballs that I didn't see coming, and I like the rest of the cast, so I'll stick with it.

User avatar
coopasonic
Posts: 16177
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:43 pm
Location: Dallas-ish

Re: Whatcha Watchin'?

Post by coopasonic » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:30 pm

coopasonic wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:14 pm
rittchard wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:03 pm
coopasonic wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:45 am
We are 6 episodes into The Handmaid's Tale. So disturbing, yet also riveting.
What Season? If Season 1, please hurry so I have someone to chat with about the current season lol.

Was just going to comment on Season 3. It hasn't been what I'd expected or hoped for (yet), but last night's episode I just found totally riveting and heartbreaking in the best, most Handmaidsy-frustrating way. Also the camera work just and direction just seemed a step above previous episodes, I found it really artistic in a way I hadn't noticed before. Really just fantastic all around.
Sorry can't help you on season 3 yet. I think we are on episode 7 or 8 of season 2 now. I'm still really enjoying it, but we watch 5-6 episodes a week so it will be a little bit before we are caught up (and S3 of Stranger Things drops next week so we might detour for that).
I think we are just about caught up on Handmaid's Tale now. The next episode was labeled "New"... We are still both riveted (and disgusted). Just when you thought you had seen it all, you meet the handmaids of DC.
-Coop

User avatar
Isgrimnur
Posts: 62071
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Chookity pok
Contact:

Re: Whatcha Watchin'?

Post by Isgrimnur » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:56 pm

Top Guns: The Documentary

It doesn't get any more 80s than this production. A dose of F-4 and F-14 pilots talking about air-to-air combat. And a good dose of Duke Cunningham before he became a Congressman and a felon.

User avatar
Holman
Posts: 21520
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:00 pm
Location: Approximately Wissahickon

Re: Whatcha Watchin'?

Post by Holman » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:10 pm

I just learned that the mall in STRANGER THINGS season 3 is NE Atlanta's Gwinnett Place, where I wasted about 25% of my 80's adolescence.

Suddenly my life makes total sense.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.

User avatar
Smoove_B
Posts: 40111
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 am
Location: Kaer Morhen

Re: Whatcha Watchin'?

Post by Smoove_B » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:28 pm

Z-Corn wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:27 pm
Smoove_B wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:15 am
Am I the only person watching Lodge 49? I don't even know how to describe it, but it's been a completely enjoyable experience.
We've only watched two episodes so far but yeah, it looks like it's gonna be weird and good and weird.
Coming back 8/12!


Post Reply