Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

noxiousdog

Re: [NCAA Football] 2012 Off-Season

Post by noxiousdog »

triggercut wrote:
noxiousdog wrote:
triggercut wrote:Arky fans are truly something to behold:
I've rewritten this post about a half billion times, because it's going to be taken the wrong way, so try and read it as intended.

Making no judgement in either case, (I don't care about Patrino at all; I haven't cared about the other incident for a decade), why is this form of adultery any different than the last famous guy from Arkansas?

Again, I just am wondering the difference if there is one.
As it so often is in these cases, it isn't the actual act itself....

...it's the coverup.

It seems like you've made the choice not to read anything related to this.

And so, presented with all that if you're not firing Bobby Petrino and I'm YOUR boss...I'm firing you.
Correct. Like I said I really have no interest other than cursory.

Good explanation though. I appreciate it and will likely use it elsewhere.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Qantaga wrote:Wow.

- 4300 texts and 300 phone calls (even on game days) between Petrino and Dorrell over the past 7 months.

- $20,000 from Petrino to Dorrell

- 159 applicants for her new job.

Her fiance has got to be loving life right about now.
Her fiancé who also works in the Athletic Department..
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

rshetts2 wrote: Im from Michigan and could care less if all those "A" letter southern schools were burned to the ground and made into parking lots.
Yike.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
rshetts2 wrote: Im from Michigan and could care less if all those "A" letter southern schools were burned to the ground and made into parking lots.
Yike.
For clarities sake, I was just poking a little fun at the Alabamas, Auburns and Arkansas of the world. Ive been known to do that :twisted:
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Carpet_pissr

[NCAA Football] 2012 Off-Season

Post by Carpet_pissr »

rshetts2 wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote:
Yike.
For clarities sake, I was just poking a little fun at the Alabamas, Auburns and Arkansas of the world. Ive been known to do that :twisted:
Ah - got it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Good thing Arizona is in the SouthWEST / PAC10.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Boom.

In one article, SI lays out the reasons why Petrino had to be fired. The bullet points:

--Arkansas has an Affirmative Action requirement that all job openings must be posted for 30 days before interviewing may commence. Listing for the position Dorrell was hired for published March 4. Petrino asked for, and received a waiver of this 30-day policy for interviews on March 9, and had that waiver approved on March 12...which was good, because he'd already scheduled an interview for Dorrell on the 12th before getting approval.

--Job listing cited 2 years of experience in a football program as a requirement. Dorrell has none.

--Job listing cited a preference of a Master's level education. Dorrell does not have a Master's degree.

--One finalist for the job was a fellow named Ben Wilkerson, a former All American at LSU who briefly played in the NFL...for Bobby Petrino in Atlanta. But at least he was qualified on the football end of things.

--One finalist for the job was a woman named Tiffany Fields. Ms. Fields has two Master's degrees from Arkansas, and has worked since '09 in the athletic department as a student tutor as well as football camp coordinator as well as travel arranger and coordinator for recruiting visits. Didn't get the job. Guess she wouldn't put out?

--On March 19 Petrino asked for another waiver to make a hire. Remember, the job notice had gone up March 4th and normally requires a 30-day period past the posting date before interviews can take place. Waiver was granted and Dorrell was hired.

--In the request to make the hire on March 19, Petrino noted that neither Wilkerson or Fields was appropriately qualified for the job and that Dorrell was the best-qualifed person to take the position.

--Petrino's interview notes attached to the application and recoverable by SI by FOIA request, are a hoot: "the most overall experience of building relationships that the football program is looking for." Yeah Bobby. I'll bet.

That $8m Arkansas saved by firing Petrino instead of buying him out? Yeah, that money's going to be spent on settling lawsuits with anyone who applied for this job.
"It's my manner, sir. It looks insubordinate, but it isn't, really."
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

How about a feel-good story for a change?

Trent Richardson takes cancer patient to her Senior Prom.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

msduncan wrote:How about a feel-good story for a change?

Trent Richardson takes cancer patient to her Senior Prom.
Saw that. Neat story.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I hope it wasn't msd who tripped and took out the$30 k national championship trophy this weekend...

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Updating for link:

There are now a million pieces of Alabama's national championship trophy to go around.

During the weekend's A-Day festivities, a parent of a current player tripped on a rug that was under the display case and the Waterford Crystal football crashed to the ground shattering into a million little pieces.

The trophy, which was handmade in Ireland and worth $30,000, was in the Mal Moore Athletic Facility where Nick Saban's office is located.
If you didn't break it, maybe you can get a piece?

Lassr

Post by Lassr »

oops...
Enlarge Image
Spoiler:
North Carolina does not have a team in the SEC.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Lassr wrote:oops...
Enlarge Image
Spoiler:
North Carolina does not have a team in the SEC.
But Missouri and Texas do :)... yes that shirt is full of fail... (Ok, the Texas is on the back, regardless...).

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

More fun with the SEC:
University of Florida Eliminates Computer Science Department, Increases Athletic Budgets. Hmm.
that was the headline, though the text goes into further detail. The article does get it a little better later:
[Note to readers, 1:15pm Monday 23 April: many commenters have correctly pointed out that the University Athletic Association, which funds athletics at UF, maintains a separate budget from the University of Florida. The UAA Director reports to the President of UF.

triggercut

Post by triggercut »

As was predicted when Mizzou declared for the SEC back in November, their Texas pipeline is not exactly producing a lot of the 2- and 3-star leftovers they used to get after Texas and A&M filled up.

Thing is--Mizzou may not have room for those folks as much of late. The combination of landing DGB for 2012 and being the only SEC team sitting firmly in the middle of B1G country has had incredible recruiting benefits for the Tigers. They've all but sealed the state's borders right now in ways that I've never seen in the past 30 years. The only in-state target who's gotten away was Ezekiel Elliott, and little birds tell me that his commit to tOSU is not written in stone.

Mizzou also just swiped two 4* OL, one rated as the best in the state of Kansas (Clay Rhodes), the other as the best in Iowa (Jake Campos).

Stadium expansion plans and financing model to be announced in early June expected to take stadium capacity to 75-80k.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Playoffs?! Playoffs!

Playoffs!!!
History was made on Tuesday in Washington, D.C. when the BCS Presidential Oversight Committee - made up of presidents from each of the FBS conferences and Notre Dame - approved a four-team, seeded playoff within the current bowl structure.

The committee has approved a model with a selection committee selecting the four teams. The committee will rank the four playoff teams based on win-loss record, strength of schedule, head-to-head record, and if a team is a conference champion. CBSSports.com's Brett McMurphy reported last week that the committee would place an "emphasis" on conference champions.

According to Virginia Tech President Charles Steger, the playoff will occur within the existing bowl structure.
:horse:
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Would have been better had they just used the BCS rankings. A committee selection...they better have a bunch of neutral committee members. We'll see how it goes.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

When they say that it'll start in the 2014 season, does that mean the season after this upcoming one or the one after that (i.e. 2 seasons from now or 3)?
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

It's a step in the right direction, but I can't get all that excited about a glorified +1.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

The winners of the semis will advance to the championship on the first Monday in January that is six or more days after the last semifinal. The first "Championship Monday," as it was called in the BCS release, is set for Jan. 12, 2015.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

tjg_marantz wrote:The winners of the semis will advance to the championship on the first Monday in January that is six or more days after the last semifinal. The first "Championship Monday," as it was called in the BCS release, is set for Jan. 12, 2015.
Why the hell do they need three years to get this going? :(
Black Lives Matter
PLW

Post by PLW »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:
tjg_marantz wrote:The winners of the semis will advance to the championship on the first Monday in January that is six or more days after the last semifinal. The first "Championship Monday," as it was called in the BCS release, is set for Jan. 12, 2015.
The cost of breaking existing contracts?
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

PLW wrote:
Ralph-Wiggum wrote:
The cost of breaking existing contracts?
ESPN has a contract for two more years.
When they say that it'll start in the 2014 season, does that mean the season after this upcoming one or the one after that (i.e. 2 seasons from now or 3)?
Yes...2 years.
Black Lives Matter
soulbringer

Post by soulbringer »

IN other words, the season that starts Sept 2012 and 2013 will be BCS. The season that starts Sept 2014 will be playoffs.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Independence Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mizzou and aTm both join the SEC officially as of today. In honor of this prestigious even, I am wearing a sundress all day.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Skinypupy wrote:It's a step in the right direction, but I can't get all that excited about a glorified +1.
Phil Steele said it best. He's been arguing for a 4 team playoff for 15 years. He thinks it should STOP at 4 teams, however. He says anyone beyond 4 doesn't really have a compelling argument in college football for being the best team, and if you stretch it to 8 or 16 you will start having odd things happen just by the nature of the game: injuries will start playing a huge part in determining the winner instead of talent and skill.

So 4 teams, in his very highly respected opinion, is perfect. It captures the top 4 teams which generally wind up being the best teams in the country. You usually capture the undefeated teams if you take the top 4. You avoid watering down the regular season to the point that it's meaningless. You minimize the chances of injuries from extra games being a major factor in who becomes champion.
It's 34 bowl victories.

msduncan

Post by msduncan »

College football season is around the corner. Sure as the leaves dropping in the fall harkens the coming winter, the arrest of a Georgia player sounds the trumpet for an approaching college football season.
It's 34 bowl victories.

triggercut

Post by triggercut »

msduncan wrote:College football season is around the corner. Sure as the leaves dropping in the fall harkens the coming winter, the arrest of a Georgia player sounds the trumpet for an approaching college football season.
They're going to be without 4 or 5 expected starters when they come to Mizzou to kick off the Tigers inaugural SEC conference game on September 8. They'll still have a better overall team than us...but maybe not by much. If Mizzou QB James Franklin has a sound shoulder for that game, the Tigers could lay a surprise on the Dawgs.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

msduncan wrote:
Skinypupy wrote:It's a step in the right direction, but I can't get all that excited about a glorified +1.
Phil Steele said it best. He's been arguing for a 4 team playoff for 15 years. He thinks it should STOP at 4 teams, however. He says anyone beyond 4 doesn't really have a compelling argument in college football for being the best team, and if you stretch it to 8 or 16 you will start having odd things happen just by the nature of the game: injuries will start playing a huge part in determining the winner instead of talent and skill.

So 4 teams, in his very highly respected opinion, is perfect. It captures the top 4 teams which generally wind up being the best teams in the country. You usually capture the undefeated teams if you take the top 4. You avoid watering down the regular season to the point that it's meaningless. You minimize the chances of injuries from extra games being a major factor in who becomes champion.
I myself would have preferred an 8 team set up. It would help open the door for teams outside the major conference bias and the top 8 teams should all have the requisite talent level to provide an entertaining series of games. Also, I really dont think that an 8 team tourney would make a major difference regarding injuries. Thats a risk the entire season and adding 1 more game for the top 8 teams wont make a huge difference on the injury front. Also odd things and upsets are part of the fun. If you want to base everything strictly on talent and skill, why even play the games? Just paper out who should win and hand them a trophy.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

For know 4 teams is fine, but I think eventually you will see an 8 team playoff with all major conference champions (who qualify under some weird formula TBD) and a wild card or two.
Black Lives Matter
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

rshetts2 wrote:
msduncan wrote:

I myself would have preferred an 8 team set up. It would help open the door for teams outside the major conference bias and the top 8 teams should all have the requisite talent level to provide an entertaining series of games. Also, I really dont think that an 8 team tourney would make a major difference regarding injuries. Thats a risk the entire season and adding 1 more game for the top 8 teams wont make a huge difference on the injury front. Also odd things and upsets are part of the fun. If you want to base everything strictly on talent and skill, why even play the games? Just paper out who should win and hand them a trophy.
Well I suppose an 8 team playoff would allow for 4 or so SEC teams to have a shot every year. Perhaps I should rethink my objection.
It's 34 bowl victories.

msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Scuzz wrote:For know 4 teams is fine, but I think eventually you will see an 8 team playoff with all major conference champions (who qualify under some weird formula TBD) and a wild card or two.
To me, unless conferences even out the talent, this would give a major advantage to teams that play through cupcake schedules and would get births into the playoffs. Football isn't like Basketball. The grind of playing a tough schedule wears on your health and conditioning.

Boise State always makes a great show in the two challenging games they have to play each year. They can do that in large part because they don't have a grind through a schedule full of incredibly difficult, athletic, physically imposing teams. Instead they practice during Spring training and fall camp just to play 1 major school. They spend the next 10 weeks playing teams that are clearly outmatched and not physically imposing, and then get ready to put it all on the line again in the bowl game against another team.

In major conferences, you literally grind it out over 12 games against teams that physically match you and wear your team down. Injury, fatigue, and attrition play major roles.
It's 34 bowl victories.

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

But the four team playoff allows for SEC elitists like you to dominate the games and we just can't have that. Besides, SEC teams should be able to dominate all though sucky teams from the sucky conferences, shouldn't they?
Black Lives Matter
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Scuzz wrote:But the four team playoff allows for SEC elitists like you to dominate the games and we just can't have that. Besides, SEC teams should be able to dominate all though sucky teams from the sucky conferences, shouldn't they?
Aren't the last 5 national champions from the SEC?

Anyway, I'm with MSD on this. The less luck (or timing if you prefer) plays a role in the post season, the happier I am. The day a 2 loss team wins a national championship will be a sad day indeed. I like my champions to have had incredible seasons, not incredible 3 games.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

noxiousdog wrote:
Scuzz wrote:But the four team playoff allows for SEC elitists like you to dominate the games and we just can't have that. Besides, SEC teams should be able to dominate all though sucky teams from the sucky conferences, shouldn't they?
Aren't the last 5 national champions from the SEC?

Anyway, I'm with MSD on this. The less luck (or timing if you prefer) plays a role in the post season, the happier I am. The day a 2 loss team wins a national championship will be a sad day indeed. I like my champions to have had incredible seasons, not incredible 3 games.
6, but who's counting? 8-)
It's 34 bowl victories.

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

noxiousdog wrote:The day a 2 loss team wins a national championship will be a sad day indeed. I like my champions to have had incredible seasons, not incredible 3 games.
LSU was 12-2 in 2007 and won the BCS title.
Lassr wrote:Would have been better had they just used the BCS rankings. A committee selection...they better have a bunch of neutral committee members. We'll see how it goes.
The BCS is too discredited to stay a part of the system, especially considering that last year it would have put Stanford in the playoffs over Oregon. Committee is probably the best way to go, assuming that it's handled similarly to how they handle the basketball tournament. Of course, they've said that they'll start releasing rankings in midseason (for transparency), and that's likely to lead to major problems.

I think that this approach is probably the best. They're going for the best four teams, and they'll specifically weight things like strength of schedule and conference championships. Conference championship is not a requirement, though, so Alabama last year and Michigan in 2006 would have been in the playoffs. I do wish the Big Ten had pushed for the playoff games on college sites, but Delaney and the coaches are so wrapped up in protecting the Rose Bowl that they gave up on it too easily.

I'm eagerly anticipating the start of the new season and the Michigan-Alabama game. I don't expect Michigan to pull off a victory, but we have a puncher's chance, and you never know how teams will perform in the first game of the year.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

ImLawBoy wrote:
noxiousdog wrote:The day a 2 loss team wins a national championship will be a sad day indeed. I like my champions to have had incredible seasons, not incredible 3 games.
LSU was 12-2 in 2007 and won the BCS title.
Lassr wrote:Would have been better had they just used the BCS rankings. A committee selection...they better have a bunch of neutral committee members. We'll see how it goes.
The BCS is too discredited to stay a part of the system, especially considering that last year it would have put Stanford in the playoffs over Oregon. Committee is probably the best way to go, assuming that it's handled similarly to how they handle the basketball tournament. Of course, they've said that they'll start releasing rankings in midseason (for transparency), and that's likely to lead to major problems.

I think that this approach is probably the best. They're going for the best four teams, and they'll specifically weight things like strength of schedule and conference championships. Conference championship is not a requirement, though, so Alabama last year and Michigan in 2006 would have been in the playoffs. I do wish the Big Ten had pushed for the playoff games on college sites, but Delaney and the coaches are so wrapped up in protecting the Rose Bowl that they gave up on it too easily.

I'm eagerly anticipating the start of the new season and the Michigan-Alabama game. I don't expect Michigan to pull off a victory, but we have a puncher's chance, and you never know how teams will perform in the first game of the year.
As I said, it really matters who they put on the committee. If they can be unbiased and actually watch most of the games then great. I want the best 4 teams in the playoff, not the best 2 with a couple of other conference champions thrown in that are ranked a lot lower than other teams.

I'm looking forward to the game also. I worry about starting a season with a game like this. But Bama's pulled out a win in the previous season openers against tough opponents.

Black Lives Matter
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

ImLawBoy wrote: LSU was 12-2 in 2007 and won the BCS title.
And they are considered one of the weakest champions in recent history at the very least. In an 8 team playoff, it might have included a 3 loss Florida team.
Black Lives Matter

Exodor

Post by Exodor »

msduncan wrote:In major conferences, you literally grind it out over 12 games against teams that physically match you and wear your team down. Injury, fatigue, and attrition play major roles.
In general I agree with your point but you overstated when you said "12 games" against quality opponents:

Western Kentucky, Florida Atlantic and Western Carolina.

Really?
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Those are scary games....... :doh:
Black Lives Matter