[NCAA Football] 2012 Off-Season

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Pyperkub

Re: [NCAA Football] 2012 Off-Season

Post by Pyperkub »

Exodor wrote:
msduncan wrote:In major conferences, you literally grind it out over 12 games against teams that physically match you and wear your team down. Injury, fatigue, and attrition play major roles.
In general I agree with your point but you overstated when you said "12 games" against quality opponents:

Western Kentucky, Florida Atlantic and Western Carolina.

Really?
And that's a huge part of the problem. It gets even worse when you look some other SEC teams. With the SEC only playing 8 conference games, compared to the B1G/Pac-12's 9 game slate, there is a difference.

I'm more in favor of an "all conference champs" + X wild cards, and wild cards have to play ON THE ROAD in the first round. So that way, if an SEC team doesn't win their conference but gets a wild card berth, they'll have to beat a Conference Champ on that champion's home field. Which would be a great game for College Football, IMHO, because many of the big boys won't travel to those schools and it would provide a once in a lifetime opportunity for them, and a unique opportunity for the Wild Cards to play in stadiums that they wouldn't normally ever see.

e.g. last year Alabama would have had to beat say TCU in Texas, or Oregon in Oregon to even get to the Championship game, whereas LSU would have been home to say Stanford or some other Wild Card kind of team.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You got your ACC in my Orange Bowl!
The Discover Orange Bowl will be played on New Year's Day at 1 p.m. ET and annually feature a team from the Atlantic Coast Conference beginning after 2014, results of a 12-year agreement announced Tuesday by the ACC and the bowl's committee.

The game will feature the champion of the ACC, unless that team is chosen to play in the newly announced four-team playoffs. In that case, a replacement team from the ACC would play in the Orange Bowl. The ACC team playing in the Orange Bowl is likely to face a highly seeded at-large team in the annual game, sources told ESPN's Joe Schad.
The ACC is guaranteed at least one team in the top six bowl games and could have up to three.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Two cool things over the last couple weeks:

1. Utah scheduled a home and home with Michigan. I never in my life thought I'd say those words. Even as soon as 10 years ago, this prospect was absolutely laughable. It blows my freaking mind that in 2014, I'll likely get to see USC, Michigan, and Oregon in the same year at home. That's cool. 8-)

2. Utah made it official yesterday that the annual "Holy War" with BYU is off for at least a couple years (2013 & 2014). I don't much care as Utah has much bigger fish to fry at this point and BYU's persecution complex has grown awfully stale. That said, the complete and utter meltdown from the Cougars over this has been absolutely hilarious to watch. They're convinced Utah is "scared" to play them (never mind the fact that Utah has won 7 out of the last 10 and BYU hasn't beaten Utah by more than a TD in over 15 years) and have basically resorted to constantly yelling "chicken!" while Utah walks away laughing. It's highly, highly amusing.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote:Two cool things over the last couple weeks:

1. Utah scheduled a home and home with Michigan. I never in my life thought I'd say those words. Even as soon as 10 years ago, this prospect was absolutely laughable. It blows my freaking mind that in 2014, I'll likely get to see USC, Michigan, and Oregon in the same year at home. That's cool. 8-)

2. Utah made it official yesterday that the annual "Holy War" with BYU is off for at least a couple years (2013 & 2014). I don't much care as Utah has much bigger fish to fry at this point and BYU's persecution complex has grown awfully stale. That said, the complete and utter meltdown from the Cougars over this has been absolutely hilarious to watch. They're convinced Utah is "scared" to play them (never mind the fact that Utah has won 7 out of the last 10 and BYU hasn't beaten Utah by more than a TD in over 15 years) and have basically resorted to constantly yelling "chicken!" while Utah walks away laughing. It's highly, highly amusing.
I just saw that article and was going to post for you. Congrats on the Michigan games - don't forget to win them!

FWIW - I do like the Holy War games. I hope they do continue.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

That is interesting. Usually Michigan doesn't like to do home at homes (except with Notre Dame) because of all the money a home game brings in. I like the fact that Michigan is starting to play some better talent outside of the Big 10. How many times can you watch Michigan beat up BGSU or Miami of Ohio. And don't bring up Toledo. Seriously, just don't.

Michigan football is sacred at my house. My kids learned the Michigan Fight Song before they learned Itsy Bitsy Spider or Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

bb2112 wrote:

That is interesting. Usually Michigan doesn't like to do home at homes (except with Notre Dame) because of all the money a home game brings in. I like the fact that Michigan is starting to play some better talent outside of the Big 10. How many times can you watch Michigan beat up BGSU or Miami of Ohio. And don't bring up Toledo. Seriously, just don't.

Michigan football is sacred at my house. My kids learned the Michigan Fight Song before they learned Itsy Bitsy Spider or Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.
Michigan will do the Home and homes with Pac-12 squads, which is pretty much the only way Utah got this deal. This is probably a prelude to the B1G-Pac12 scheduling pact.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Pyperkub wrote:FWIW - I do like the Holy War games. I hope they do continue.
I used to like the rivalry, but over the last 10-15 years (basically since Utah actually started winning more often than not) it's turned really, really nasty. When you add a lot of religious undertones to two fanbases who quite dislike each other to begin with, it ends up getting way too ugly for my tastes (on both sides).

I'm way excited about the Michigan game. I didn't get to go to the Big House when we played (and won) there in 2008, but lots of my friends did and said it was a very cool experience. Might have to make the trip next time.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

bb2112 wrote:That is interesting. Usually Michigan doesn't like to do home at homes (except with Notre Dame) because of all the money a home game brings in. I like the fact that Michigan is starting to play some better talent outside of the Big 10. How many times can you watch Michigan beat up BGSU or Miami of Ohio. And don't bring up Toledo. Seriously, just don't.
I was thinking that this couldn't be right, because I remember Michigan travelling for big games, but then I looked at the past schedules, and after 2003 we didn't play any non-conference games on the road other than Notre Dame. The ND game is nothing to sneeze at, since it is a rivalry game, but that's disappointing. (Before then, we played at Oregon in 2003, at Washington in 2001, at UCLA in 2000, at Syracuse (before they fell into the abyss) in 1999, and I stopped looking before then.) Now that teams are basically given four non-conference games, I think they should take on two real opponents, and I'm OK with taking on a couple of cupcakes, too (smaller schools need to fund their athletic departments somehow!).

I think the Michigan/Utah series is the teams getting a jump on Big 10/Pac 12 partnership that starts in 2017(?). Plus, this also may be a side effect of the new emphasis on strength of schedule (a very good side effect).
That's my purse! I don't know you!
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

ImLawBoy wrote:I think the Michigan/Utah series is the teams getting a jump on Big 10/Pac 12 partnership that starts in 2017(?). Plus, this also may be a side effect of the new emphasis on strength of schedule (a very good side effect).
Yes, on both counts.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Not directly related, but any negative publicity for Nick Saban, humors me. His daughter has some aggression issues.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

noxiousdog wrote:Not directly related, but any negative publicity for Nick Saban, humors me. His daughter has some aggression issues.
Perfect sorority girl name...Hannah Muncher :D
PLW

Post by PLW »

noxiousdog wrote:Not directly related, but any negative publicity for Nick Saban, humors me. His daughter has some aggression issues.
I wonder where she gets it.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Ha! That's almost Onion-esque. Love the poor editing/acting of the hot girl scene as there is an awkward initial delay, then "gooo. cocks." LOL How much did they pay her to do that?!

I can see the students drawing straws before hand...."ok, short straw gets the Gamecocks. You have to say "GO COCKS"" or "I LOVE COCKS"", your choice..."
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

The Big 10/Pac 12 scheduling agreement is done. Apparently four Pac 12 schools objected, arising out the fact that they already play 9 game conference schedules (the Big 10 plays 8 conference games), and adding a tenth locked in big game would severly limit scheduling possibilities. That's a bummer. It remains to be seen whether these "warm up" series (like Michigan-Utah) will remain on the schedule or not, and whether the Big 10 will now go to 9 conference games (there were plans to do that before the partnership came up).

I'd be interested in hearing who the four Pac 12 holdouts were. I can't say I blame them, though.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

ImLawBoy wrote:The Big 10/Pac 12 scheduling agreement is done. Apparently four Pac 12 schools objected, arising out the fact that they already play 9 game conference schedules (the Big 10 plays 8 conference games), and adding a tenth locked in big game would severly limit scheduling possibilities. That's a bummer. It remains to be seen whether these "warm up" series (like Michigan-Utah) will remain on the schedule or not, and whether the Big 10 will now go to 9 conference games (there were plans to do that before the partnership came up).

I'd be interested in hearing who the four Pac 12 holdouts were. I can't say I blame them, though.
:( :(
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Michigan plans on keeping its Pac 12 games on the schedule. That covers the home-and-home with Utah, plus one-off home games against Colorado and Oregon State. Unless one of those teams cancels, we'll at least get some Big 10/Pac 12 crossover games!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

ImLawBoy wrote:Michigan plans on keeping its Pac 12 games on the schedule. That covers the home-and-home with Utah, plus one-off home games against Colorado and Oregon State. Unless one of those teams cancels, we'll at least get some Big 10/Pac 12 crossover games!
I approve of this message.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Article on one of the stupidest moves I can remember:
When Oregon QB Darron Thomas led the Ducks to their fist Rose Bowl victory in 95 years this past January over Wisconsin with a phenomenal three-touchdown performance, there was immediately talk about Thomas winning the 2012 Heisman Trophy and the Ducks winning a national championship this fall.

But to the surprise of everyone, Thomas flew the coop in Eugene to leave early for the NFL draft.
I wish him well, but dude... you AREN'T Cam Newton, and you never were going to be. And most people didn't think he'd do as well as he did. He's bigger, faster, stronger, and has a stronger arm. Those things actually make a difference in the Pros. You were at best average in all 4 categories.

DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

Penn State about to be hammered?

I didn't think the NCAA had it in them, it's not the Death Penalty, but it would leave some serious scars. I guess Bobby Bowden goes back to the top of winningest coaches again.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Wow. If true, that's more harsh than I expected though I'm not saying undeserved. From all the articles Sunday, I didn't think it sounded as bad as these leaked details. We'll know soon I guess. Aren't they announcing the penalties today?

EDIT: Or now... USA Today's report.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Michigan's starting running back, the excellently named Fitzgerald Touissant, got a DUI on Saturday. That likely means he'll be suspended for at least Michigan's first game.

Say, are we playing anybody good that week?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Come on down. Nosebleed tickets on StubHub are starting at $215. You can get Standing Room Only in JerryWorld for $76.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Stay Classy Lane Kiffin!
During Pac-12 media day Tuesday, Kiffin, the head coach at USC, spoke highly of Penn State coach Bill O'Brien and even offered advice to the first-year coach, who was just hit with unprecedented NCAA sanctions....

...It's definitely not easy when the coach trying to offer up the advice is the coach trying to poach your players.

Kiffin is reportedly chasing after Penn State's top running back Silas Redd. And while, thanks to NCAA rules, Kiffin couldn't specifically speak to USC's interest in Redd, he made a point to mention how thin the Trojans were at running back this upcoming season
More from CNN:
Redd was reportedly headed to Big Ten Media Days as part of the Penn State delegation. Only now he’s not there — and Colin Cowherd thinks he knows the reason why:

Silas Redd, sitting down w USC coach NOW. That sort of explains why he isn’t at Big 10 Media Day

PLW

Post by PLW »

Kiffin is the very last PAC-12 coach I would ever want to go hunting with.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

PLW wrote:Kiffin is the very last PAC-12 coach I would ever want to go hunting with.
LOL no shit. Or be around when the zombie apocalypse goes down.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Pffft. You guys simply take the wrong approach. "Hey Lane, check out this 'empty' lion's den." "Hey Lane, you ever see the TV show 'Walking Dead'? I'll play Shane for now. You get to be Otis. Thanks buddy."

Hunting and Z-day taken care of.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
PLW

Post by PLW »

Hmm.. looks like the Honey Badger will be not giving a shit somewhere other than Baton Rouge. Can't say I'll miss him, or the nickname.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Honey Badger. He toke what he want.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

msduncan wrote:Honey Badger. He toke what he want.
:lol:

Bad pre-season so far for us. Starting safety suspended 3 games for "undisclosed violation of team rules" (read: pot). Starting RT shredded his Achilles, out for the year. Our "other" 340 lb interior lineman broke his foot today, also out for the season. Bummed, as he was slated to play next to pre-season All American candidate Star Lotuleilei. Would have been fun seeing people try and run against those two.

At least our QB hasn't gone down. Yet.
mori

Post by mori »

msduncan wrote:Honey Badger. He toke what he want.
I would of thought it would of toke a lot more than that that to get kicked off a SEC team. I expected a class 1 felony.
PLW

Post by PLW »

I think three bongs don't make you right.