[Book] The Wise Man's Fear - Questions

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

McNutt

[Book] The Wise Man's Fear - Questions

Post by McNutt »

SPOILERS BELOW

There is a plot device that I feel is going to be important, but I must have missed something as I was reading the book.

The Maer and his wife show Kvothe an ancient wooden box that has something hidden inside. Kvothe notices some very faint traces of an old language written in knots on the box. Shortly after he tells the Maer's wife that he is Ruh and she can go to hell. She writes him a letter that basically says she considers him scum of the earth and the Maer tells Kvothe he has to leave. When Kvothe goes back to the University he asks the Master Linguist to teach him that old language.

So this made me wonder:
1. Why did the Maer and his wife feel Kvothe needed to see that box?
2. Why does Kvothe care so much about that box? Was it related to the Amyr? I don't remember him saying anything about it.
3. Even if Kvothe learns enough of the language to read the knots on that box, why would he think she would ever let him see it again?

That whole plot device really confused me. There has to be something I missed, but it seems like it's going to be an important part of the story,
Pyperkub

Re: [Book] The Wise Man's Fear - Questions

Post by Pyperkub »

My foggy memory has me thinking that one/some of the legends may have indicated that there was a box of the Amyr that was or held a key that may have been key to a prison for the chandrian/something related to Lanre's tale. Or something along those lines.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
theohall

Post by theohall »

MORE SPOILERS

The Lackless box

Why is it important to Kvothe? Because his mother was lady Lady Lackless's sister. Why, you might ask?

The song Kvothe's father wrote which his wife hated reveals her name. Netalia is the name of the Lackless sister who ran away with the Ruh. This is why the currently Lady Lackless hates the Ruh, and thus hated Kvothe - not even realizing he was her nephew.

From the end line of the song his Dad wrote about his mother:
To make my wife
Not tally a lot less...
(= Netalia Lackless)

So, back to the box, it apparently requires a Namer to open it and contains something significant about the Lackless family. Kvothe is becoming a Namer, so whatever is there is something significant about his history. None of this is clearly spelled out and Kvothe has not even figured it out. He is too focused on the Chandrian to realize he was talking to his Aunt. And the Lackless family history ties into the Amyr who were hunting the Chandrian years and years ago, but have supposedly disappeared. Kvothe, Namer, Chandrian Hunter/Amyr, Lackless.

My guess - whatever is in the box relates to the Amyr, their lineage, and where they are hidden, if they are around at all. It's locked the way it is because the Amyr were likely Namers, as well, considering how powerful they were according to the limited histories Kvothe has been able to find.

The demon thing trying to coax Kote into being active again seems to indicate Kvothe is more than just some Ruh kid and would tie in nicely with him being a descendant of the Amyr.

Lots of speculation in this post, but lots of it fits. The box is still a mystery, though, which is still to be resolved.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

This was published on March 1, 2011. Obama had not yet been re-elected. Soon to be 10 year anniversary and no third book in sight. I checked Rothfuss' website and all it says is I will let you know. That is all.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

He's celebrating too much with the fae?

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:08 pm He's celebrating too much with the fae?
Maybe he eloped there with George R. R. Martin. His last Game of Thrones volume was July, 2011. :ninja:
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:20 pm This was published on March 1, 2011. Obama had not yet been re-elected. Soon to be 10 year anniversary and no third book in sight. I checked Rothfuss' website and all it says is I will let you know. That is all.
There are several recent youtube entries by Rothfuss that pretty much indicate no book is coming out soon.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

He should just hire Alan Dean Foster to finish the book (uncredited) for him. There would be numerous complaints about the drop in quality, but he is bound to get those regardless. He would make plenty of cash to pay Foster and indulge his feckless lifestyle.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Pyperkub wrote:He's celebrating too much with the fae?
Time does pass differently in the land of Fae.

I kind of wrote off the series anyway. The second book was a little silly to me.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

$iljanus wrote:

I kind of wrote off the series anyway. The second book was a little silly to me.
I liked it, but it needed an editor to chop over a hundred pages.

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

$iljanus wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:57 pm

I was disappointed by the 2nd book in a couple ways. It was way too indulgent. The main character almost becomes unlikable when before he seemed to be trending to enjoyable. It was way to long without really anything happening or the main character aging. So how does he get to where he is in book 1 if book 2 literally involves very little passage of time. Yet Rothfuss states in interviews it will be only a 3 part book.

And yea, the Fae was silly. Needed a Monty Python character to just come out and say that in the book.
Black Lives Matter