If you could have a Jay Leno garage...

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: If you could have a Jay Leno garage...

Post by Daehawk »

Ah movie cars...then I'd take a Countach from CBR

OR the Wraith from the same movie as name. This was a 1984 Dodge Turbo Interceptor 2.2L Cosworth twin-turbo in-line four.

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Brian

Post by Brian »

I believe that Lord Mortis was the first to specifically call out a movie car:
a 60s Bond style Aston Martin
If we are going to go crazy, and why the hell shouldn't we, I'd also add the Druid Plow from Brutal Legend.

I'd also add Ophelia's hearse. I can't find a decent image but you can see it in this video clip.

Actually, I'd totally love a 1960's Cadillac hearse.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

For that you need Ecto 1

Enlarge Image

For something out there then Speedbuggy

DD*

Post by DD* »

Brian wrote:
El Guapo wrote:Are these cars really great cars, or is this a historical collection kind of thing? I'd think that these cars wouldn't be as good as a 2012 car with all the modern doo-dads and enhancements and whatnot.
I'm just a big fan of the late '60's to early '70's muscle cars.

While some of the cars on the list have historical or collector significance, many don't. (Like the Gremlin X)

Modern cars do almost nothing for me. Yes, they are safer, cleaner, more fuel efficient, blah blah blah but none of them appeal to me in any way with the exception of say the modern Challenger, Camaro, Mustang breeds but only because those are purposely designed to look like their counterparts from the 60-70 era of muscle cars.

One modern car on my list is the 2010 Chrysler 300 SRT8 which I think is a sweet looking four door sedan but it also happens to make 420 horsepower so again, it feels like an older muscle car.

While modern supercars (Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc) are cool in their own way and I think would be way fun to drive I wouldn't want to actually own one as they just don't appeal to me the way the older cars do.
I think we were separated at birth.
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

R34

GTR

R32

300ZX
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

First car I ever owned was a 1972 Opel GT that looked exactly like this one. I paid $1200 for it (used), quite a sum in 1974.

If I could fill a garage with fantasy cars, I'd want this back just for old times sake...even though my Miata is a better car and more fun to drive, I still miss that old Opel sometimes.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Brian wrote:The 60's saw three different body styles for the Corvette.

You had the tail end of the C1 Corvettes (1954-1962)

The introduction and end of the C2 Corvettes (1963-1967)

And finally the introduction of the C3 Corvettes (1968-1982)

Three completely different styles all in the same decade.

I would take any of them.

Except the '63 split window. I know they are super collectible and very valuable but, blech, I just don't like the split window.
Thanks for posting that. I was thinking of the C1 and C2. The C1 is just a gorgeous vehicle, while I also love the C2's aggressive shape. It looks like a dagger on wheels.

A family friend has a fairly rare '68(?) Shelby Mustang convertible. If I tried to drive a monster like that, I'd be afraid of launching myself right into the nearest tree or utility pole.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

tjg's post is the kind of cars I'd pick.
Black Lives Matter.
Inverarity

Post by Inverarity »

Agreed. Give me a 2012 GTR and I won't have time to drive anything else. (though I'd love to be invited to Brian's garage :) ).

em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I'd join the nuclear club, I think "we the people" should be members. :mrgreen:
two months
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

Brian wrote:When I buy a lottery ticket, this is the kind of thing I'm thinking of...
Way to word the dreams Brian! One never knows when it will happen. Keep it positive cause you never know who's listening. Fun topic, nice to see you all thinking big!

Would like to add that I've never seen so many pictures from you guys without boobs!
Now, now, this is not an invitation to start posting bathing suit babes. The thread can be kept suitable for work the way it's going, lets keep it that way 8-)
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

KKBlue wrote:
Brian wrote:When I buy a lottery ticket, this is the kind of thing I'm thinking of...
Way to word the dreams Brian! One never knows when it will happen. Keep it positive cause you never know who's listening. Fun topic, nice to see you all thinking big!

Would like to add that I've never seen so many pictures from you guys without boobs!
Now, now, this is an invitation to start posting bathing suit babes.
Good idea! ;)
Black Lives Matter.
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

Ummm... I believe I've been misquoted. If you only knew how long it took me to write that El and all the changes it underwent, you would better understand my loss of a few heart beats thinking I omitted the last sentance :evil: *winking*
Guess I did bait the hook but it was a honest attempt to prase you's for not being typical for a few pages. Oh well.
Last edited by KKBlue on Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I fully understand most of your choices, Brian, but the Monte Carlo? It's just fugly, IMO. It's the worst of the 70s box styling.

I would have to get a Porsche 911 as I've always wanted one. I'd also love a '67 Mustang and a '68 Camaro SS. The GTR is also ridiculously awesome.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think if I won the lotto I would recreate the 1980's arcade I lived in :) But I'd have lots of cars and guns too though.
Brian

Post by Brian »

gbasden wrote:I fully understand most of your choices, Brian, but the Monte Carlo? It's just fugly, IMO. It's the worst of the 70s box styling.
Which one, I've got two of them on my list?

My very first car was a 1976 Monte Carlo and while it didn't make the list I've always had a soft spot for that particular line of cars. Well, until they reintroduced them in the mid-90s. Blech. Those cars are fugly.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Enlarge Image
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Sectoid

Post by Sectoid »

1981 CamaroEnlarge Image
This is not a picture of mine, but I miss mine so much.

1975 Jeep CJ7Enlarge Image
Never had one, but always wanted one.

1977 Pinto WagonImage
For no other reason than nostalgia. My father had one. So many fishing trips.
(V)(;,,;)(V) - Why not Zoidberg?
Model Mayhem # 641920
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The only Oldsmobile I'd have is a 69 Hurst HO

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I can't browse most photo sites at work, but my list would be select items from my own personal history with a few minor upgrades...

I've owned... 14 or 15 cars in my life, but my favorite remains a 1993 Honda Prelude VTEC. It was only 190hp, but it was the most fun 190hp I've ever driven. I've had 2 RWD 300+hp cars since that car (and driven many others) and neither have the same fun to drive as that FWD 190hp car.

Other cars that stir great memories for me are the 1970 SS396 Chevelle Hardtop, 1968 Firebird Convertible and forgive for being all future retro, but 2011 Shelby GT500 and 2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 392 would round out the muscle car list.

On top of that would be the dream cars that have nothing in common with the classic and retro collection... they would include the Nissan GTR, Ferrari 458 Italia, Lamborghini Gallardo LP570-4 Superleggera, and lets throw any Pagani Zonda in there for good measure.

I'm not particularly interested in unique or oddball cars, I just want fun to drive.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Hiccup

Post by Hiccup »

Although I do love the 60's muscle. A 1948 Series 62 Cadillac is one of my favorites. (Purple would not be my first choice)

Or a Duesenberg...

Enlarge Image

Finally, the Batmobile of Mercedes the 1930 SSK

"Adam was but human - this explains it all. He did not want the apple for the apple's sake, he wanted it only because it was forbidden. The mistake was in not forbidding the serpent; then he would have eaten the serpent."
-- Mark Twain .

XBL: Hiccup1
Brian

Post by Brian »

While not at the top of my list I gotta admit those are some sweet choices there Hiccup.

I also like the Hurst Olds choice. A friend of mine in the Navy had a '72 Olds Cutlass and it was a fun car.

While I'm not really into convertibles, I'd love a 70 Olds 442 rag top in tuxedo black. Mmmmm.

Crabbs

Post by Crabbs »

1957 Porsche 356
Enlarge Image

'32 Studebaker Roadster
Enlarge Image

1930 Bugatti Cabriolet
Enlarge Image

1976 Old Vista Cruiser (because it's the first car I ever drove & owned)
Enlarge Image
'The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.'
- Bertrand Russell -

Wii # 2042 8377 5645 6582

The Rainbow's Reward

Olivia's Big Adventure
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

In 40-50 years are our children (or their children) going to have a thread like this? What's going to be in it? I can see and understand why we have a station wagon listed here. I just can't see my kids' kids giving a crap about minivans.

Does modern day have the same sense of style (even if it's a different style) and appeal that the 50-70's had?

It just doesn't feel like it.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

GreenGoo wrote:Does modern day have the same sense of style (even if it's a different style) and appeal that the 50-70's had?

Just like in the past there are both stylish and utilitarian designs. The roads are clogged with utilitarian... the boring as hell camrys and accords, the bland, boxy SUVs, the various indistinguishable chevy and ford sedans. Chrysler is the only domestic with a sense of style (in my opinion) that appears outside the marquee models.

To a lot of people are a car is just a way to get around. To our parents/grandparents, it might have been something special, to many of our generation it's just transportation. There were plenty of forgettable cars in the 50s and 60s too, we just forgot about them. ;)
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Brian

Post by Brian »

There are very few cars released in the past decade or so that I could get excited about and most of those are throwbacks to their 60's predecessors like the Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger.

Aside from the Corvette and Camaro, nothing from Chevy interests me.
Ford also has two cars that I like in the Mustang and the GT.
Chrysler has the Challenger as well as the Charger, 300, and Magnum.

With the exception of the Magnum (which is out of production) every single car I listed is either from a continuous line dating back to the 50's like the Corvette, or is purposely designed to evoke the styling of previous incarnations from the 60's/70's like the Camaro, Mustang, Challenger.
The Charger and 300 also hark back to previous designs but only the Charger is significantly different going with four doors instead of the original two.

Nothing from the other side of the Pacific interests me and with a few notable exceptions (all in the Euro Super Car way out of my price range) the same can be said for cars coming from across the Atlantic.

I just don't see my kids thirty or forty years down the road saying, "Oh man, a Honda Fit! We used have one and it was AWESOME!"

I could be wrong though, you never know. Maybe 30 years from now some kid will be buying a well used Accord and hot-rodding it up with the latest anti-grav turbo thrusters or something. :)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Glad someone else finds the Chrysler 300 interesting. The first time I saw an ad for it when they were bringing them back I said ahhh chunky I like.

Coop - Why'd ya ditch the Prelude? Sounds like a sweet baby.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Daehawk wrote:Coop - Why'd ya ditch the Prelude? Sounds like a sweet baby.
You don't go through 16 cars in 20 years by hanging onto cars for very long. At the time, the 2 years I owned the prelude was an eternity. It was also my first and last lease. When it came off lease I was in no financial position to keep it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Great idea for a thread! I still find it odd there are so few car guys on this forum, lol.

An original Shelby Cobra. I don't think Jay even has one of these.
Enlarge Image

McLaren F1 (preferably without the wing)
Enlarge Image

Hummer H1 would be perfect for winter driving.
Enlarge Image

1968 Chevy Camaro
Enlarge Image

Lamborghini Aventador, and pretty much every latest Lamborghini.
Enlarge Image

Ford Raptor for an every day driver
Enlarge Image

Dodge Tomahawk
Enlarge Image

Ford Fiesta World Rally Car for driving around the local dirt roads. This thing has to be fun as hell to throw around.
Enlarge Image

I'm sure I'll think of a ton more.
geezer

Post by geezer »

GreenGoo wrote:In 40-50 years are our children (or their children) going to have a thread like this? What's going to be in it? I can see and understand why we have a station wagon listed here. I just can't see my kids' kids giving a crap about minivans.

Does modern day have the same sense of style (even if it's a different style) and appeal that the 50-70's had?

A few things, IMHO, contribute to this. First, it's easy to make a "good" car these days. Even lower-end models have satellite radio, strong AC and decent NVE (noise/vibration/harshness) isolation. Your average minivan puts out as much power as a 80's Ferrari or Porsche. Even your basic family sedan is wind-tunnel tested and optimized for better economy. As such, lots of cars end up at the same place, generally speaking. To make something truly special requires truly special construction and performance, and that gets seriously expensive.

There are outliers - hand built cars like Morgan's stunning Aero Supersports

and throwback lightweight/elemental sports cars like the Lotue Elise/Exige twins, plus crazy things like Bugattis and Paganis, but the era of unique, low volume cars that the general populace can aspire to are largely over, I think, or heading that direction because of regulation or market conditions.

That said, I bet a Viper ACR, for example, will command a nice sum in the future, and we're already seeing some of the original MIatas ('89/'90) start to firm up in pricing, for example.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

coopasonic wrote:To a lot of people are a car is just a way to get around. To our parents/grandparents, it might have been something special, to many of our generation it's just transportation. There were plenty of forgettable cars in the 50s and 60s too, we just forgot about them. ;)
I hear ya, but many of the cars in this thread were fairly common. If not run of the mill, at least average-ish, for the time.

Hat tip to cheeba for finally putting a rally car in here.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Aston Martin Lagonda

Lada 1600

Reliant Regal
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Brian

Post by Brian »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Image
Reliant Regal
I love the bit on Top Gear with the Reliant Robin.
Crazy Lady

Post by Crazy Lady »

Brian wrote:
coopasonic wrote:Oh and Brian's wife has much better taste in Corvettes than he does.
Undoubtedly. Unfortunately, I couldn't pick the '67 as that's HER car. So I went with the next best thing.
Hey, I just think the '67 Corvette is S E X Y! One day I will have one.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Lotus Esprit twin turbo

DD*

Post by DD* »

Daehawk wrote:Lotus Esprit twin turbo

Oh, cripes - my (ex)brother-in-law had a Turbo Esprit. What a leaky, unreliable POS! Handled like a go-cart, though - when it was running.
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

My Dad had a Lada for awhile. Not sure which model, but it did look like that one.
Last edited by Rumpy on Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
geezer

Post by geezer »

cheeba wrote:Great idea for a thread! I still find it odd there are so few car guys on this forum, lol.
There are a few of us here ;)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Inverarity

Post by Inverarity »

Brian wrote:I just don't see my kids thirty or forty years down the road saying, "Oh man, a Honda Fit! We used have one and it was AWESOME!"
Sure, I'm with you on the Fit. That car is lame ass. But have you looked at the GT-R? Or the Lexus LFA? The GT-R eats babies for breakfast. It's super bad ass (and the LFA, for a mere 4 times the price is almost as good ;) ). These aren't honda fits, these are blow-your-house-down super cars.