Thinking of ditching cable tv, thoughts

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

stessier

Re: Thinking of ditching cable tv, thoughts

Post by stessier »

Would NBA League Pass work? Does the NHL have something similar?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

stessier wrote:Does the NHL have something similar?
Center Ice
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

stessier wrote:Would NBA League Pass work? Does the NHL have something similar?
Blocks local teams
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sling Blue for 80204 has Fox and NBC locals. ZIP lookup
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote:Sling Blue for 80204 has Fox and NBC locals. ZIP lookup
I don't think the Fox Sports channels show anything but UFC. You can get locally broadcast NBC and Fox, as well as NFL Network.

It will not be useful after football season ends.
Black Lives Matter
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Center Ice
These league passes black out local games. That's the issue.

Center Ice and NBA League Pass
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Local Avalanche broadcasts appear on Altitude Sports, which is Comcast, Dish, or DirecTV only.
Altitude Sports & Entertainment is the official television network of the Denver Nuggets, Colorado Avalanche, Colorado Mammoth and the Colorado Rapids. Altitude Sports & Entertainment was started with one goal in mind, give fans living in Nuggets, Avalanche, Rapids and Mammoth territory the ability to watch every single regular-season and playoff game of their favorite teams in high definition format and 5.1-channel surround sound (NBA and NHL territory restrictions apply).
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Altitude Sports & Entertainment is the official television network of the Denver Nuggets, Colorado Avalanche, Colorado Mammoth and the Colorado Rapids.
They forgot to mention that the same guy that owns Altitude Sports also owns these 4 teams ;)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Same page :P
Altitude was created by Denver Nuggets, Colorado Avalanche, Colorado Mammoth and Colorado Rapids owner, Stan Kroenke, to give area sports fans the most comprehensive regional sports network in the Rocky Mountains.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Xmann wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:
Center Ice
These league passes black out local games. That's the issue.

Center Ice and NBA League Pass
Use vpn?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Isgrimnur wrote:Local Avalanche broadcasts appear on Altitude Sports, which is Comcast, Dish, or DirecTV only.
Altitude Sports & Entertainment is the official television network of the Denver Nuggets, Colorado Avalanche, Colorado Mammoth and the Colorado Rapids. Altitude Sports & Entertainment was started with one goal in mind, give fans living in Nuggets, Avalanche, Rapids and Mammoth territory the ability to watch every single regular-season and playoff game of their favorite teams in high definition format and 5.1-channel surround sound (NBA and NHL territory restrictions apply).
That's what I mean.

If I went the Avs and Nuggets, I need a cable service. And once the Rockies start in the spring, I'll need it for them too.

They have me by the balls.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Yeah, the problem still exists: if you're a sports fan, there is no cable-cutting alternative.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Jeff V wrote:Yeah, the problem still exists: if you're a sports fan, there is no cable-cutting alternative.
Sure there is - move out of market. I cut the cord and see all the games I want.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

stessier wrote:
Jeff V wrote:Yeah, the problem still exists: if you're a sports fan, there is no cable-cutting alternative.
Sure there is - move out of market. I cut the cord and see all the games I want.
OK, so factor in the cost of moving, possible down time without a paycheck as you try to find a new job in an unfamiliar city, possible loss of benefits if you've had a long tenure at your job, and other factors from uprooting yourself and family. At what point does the ROI break even?
Last edited by Jeff V on Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Jeff V wrote:
stessier wrote:
OK, so factor in the cost of moving, possible down time without a paycheck as you try to find a new job in an unfamiliar city, possible loss of benefits if you've had a long tenure at your job, and other factors from uprooting yourself and family. At what point the the ROI break even?
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

tjg_marantz wrote: 12
Centuries?
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jeff V wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:Sling Blue for 80204 has Fox and NBC locals. ZIP lookup
I don't think the Fox Sports channels show anything but UFC. You can get locally broadcast NBC and Fox, as well as NFL Network.

It will not be useful after football season ends.
If it includes Fox Sports One wouldn't you get a myriad of sports, such as college football, MLB, auto racing etc?
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Scuzz wrote: If it includes Fox Sports One wouldn't you get a myriad of sports, such as college football, MLB, auto racing etc?
Do all of those start with the same three letters, UFC? Because every time I check FS1 or FS2, it's UFC all day long.

It could be though. Maybe UFC stands for University of Florida Clearwater? For auto racing, perhaps there is such a thing as UnFunny Cars? MLB...how far can you hit a snowball?

In any case, I live in a big league town. My interests are the NFL, NBA and NHL; with a particular interest in the local teams. It doesn't work well for the latter two (and his not a comprehensive source of local NFL),
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jeff V wrote:
Scuzz wrote: If it includes Fox Sports One wouldn't you get a myriad of sports, such as college football, MLB, auto racing etc?
Do all of those start with the same three letters, UFC? Because every time I check FS1 or FS2, it's UFC all day long.

It could be though. Maybe UFC stands for University of Florida Clearwater? For auto racing, perhaps there is such a thing as UnFunny Cars? MLB...how far can you hit a snowball?

In any case, I live in a big league town. My interests are the NFL, NBA and NHL; with a particular interest in the local teams. It doesn't work well for the latter two (and his not a comprehensive source of local NFL),
The FS1 I get with Comcast includes all those sports. Of course they are only on during season and are usually limited to non-peak times, thus why they are on FS1.
Black Lives Matter
tgb

Post by tgb »

Our Streaming Stick arrived yesterday, so our project for the next couple of weeks (I just paid the DirecTV bill) is exploring our streaming options.

We'll never be completely free of the dish until tlr can watch her soaps before going to bed. With that in mind I'm trying to find a way to record local TV (or something comparable). Every service that does this that I've looked at this morning wants to sell me a piece of hardware of some kind or another, which I really don't want to buy, so I have a couple of noob questions.

1) If we subscribe to a network stream (say ABC.com), are we limited to watching shows as they air, or are all the shows available on demand? And if they are on demand, how long does it usually take for the newest episode to appear?

2) How long does it take for the latest episode of a network show to appear on a service like Hulu?

3) What about syndicated television (she has her soaps, but I have Judge Judy)?
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

tgb wrote:
2) How long does it take for the latest episode of a network show to appear on a service like Hulu?

3) What about syndicated television (she has her soaps, but I have Judge Judy)?
Hulu will usually have shows up the day after they air. I don't think I've ever come across a situation where they don't.

As for syndicated television, you'd be surprised at how much Hulu has available. Check their web site though. I believe you can verify any show's existence on their service there.

Oh, and pay the extra couple of bucks a month for no commercials. It's really worth it. :wink:
Covfefe!
tgb

Post by tgb »

Thanks
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Don't know if this has been discussed, but is there any reason to have multiple streaming devices of different varieties?

I have a Chromecast and like it alot. Just wondering if I should consider the Amazon variety since I have Prime or any of the other flavors.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Xmann wrote:Don't know if this has been discussed, but is there any reason to have multiple streaming devices of different varieties?

I have a Chromecast and like it alot. Just wondering if I should consider the Amazon variety since I have Prime or any of the other flavors.
The only reason would be for specific content. Prime has some pretty good stuff these days. Of course if you have Prime Im guessing that you can access it through chromecast, cant you? I dont have chromecast so I dont know for sure.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

rshetts2 wrote:
Xmann wrote:Don't know if this has been discussed, but is there any reason to have multiple streaming devices of different varieties?

The only reason would be for specific content. Prime has some pretty good stuff these days. Of course if you have Prime Im guessing that you can access it through chromecast, cant you? I dont have chromecast so I dont know for sure.
There is a work around, so yes. But the streaming quality suffers.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

What's a good speed for home streaming?

I'm sure Xfinity wants me to have their super duper whatever... but I don't want it if I don't need it.

Is 25 Mbps generally good enough? My choice it seems is 10, 25, or 100.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
tgb

Post by tgb »

I'm running 10 and haven't had any problems so far, but it's only been two days so hey could still be hiding somewhere.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If you're looking for the device with the most content, I highly recommend going with a Roku.
Covfefe!
tgb

Post by tgb »

I wish I had known that I had to keep the DirecTV account at least long enough to register NBC and ABC streaming.

Is there a way to bypass their demand that you subscribe to some cable/satellite service?
stessier

Post by stessier »

tgb wrote:I wish I had known that I had to keep the DirecTV account at least long enough to register NBC and ABC streaming.
It wouldn't really have worked - you would have lost the channels soon after cancelling anyway.
Is there a way to bypass their demand that you subscribe to some cable/satellite service?
Kind of? If you know someone who has a cable package, streams infrequently, and doesn't mind giving you their log in information, you can do that. Otherwise, you can look at Sling TV which gets you many things other than CBS. CBS has it's own streaming service.

Here's a Ringer article that gives an overview of the different streaming services.

Also, I'm assuming an Over-the-air (OTA) solution won't work for you? Antennas are quite cheap (compared to a monthly subscription).
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Comcrap has a streaming-only version of their utterly basic package for $15, which includes HBO. Making use of those basic channels is a rather nightmarish challenge. You can stream them from the Comcrap website in super-low def, and Chromecast it to a heavily letterboxed TV. This appears to be the only recourse for CBS, who wants to extract their own separate pound of flesh. NBC will Chromecast live off their phone app, Fox will not. Neither of them stream live from the Fire TV app. HBO more or less works with the Fire TV app or Chromecast from the phone app...except I'll get the black screen of death telling me the program is unavailable (Fire) or interminable pause (Chromecast) approximately 10 times during the course of a 90 minute movie.

SlingTV is still struggling to justify its $25/mo fee; even more so now that football season has ended. Sometimes the Fire app takes forever to load...it's sometimes taken 20 minutes or more to finally get tuned into what I want to watch.

I make sure at every opportunity to let me wife know how frustrated I am with jumping through all of these hoops only to achieve unsatisfactory results. With cable, everything just instantly worked, and I didn't have to give up things like most sports (it's going to be a long, unpleasant winter with no basketball or hockey to watch). The moment it seems we can afford it again, I expect she'll give me the green light.
Black Lives Matter
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Jeff, you have more problems with streaming than I have ever heard of anyone having. I stream pretty much everything. I have none of the problems you have. I have comcast internet and get everything I want in HD. Of course I also use KODI and stream most of my CBS programming there, usually in 740p HD ( I could stream in 1080 but I run into buffering and the difference is not major to me ). As far as the other networks besides CBS, they all seem to have decent HD streaming set ups.
I guess the question is, is your equipment up to snuff or do you just happen to live in the center of a black hole?
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I do live in a black hole when it comes to OTA. Comcrap insists there is nothing wrong with my service, so it is what it is: shit. I don't know what Kodi is, but the Comcast streaming option works with a phone app that does not support Chromecast, and PC, which is ultra-low def (but can be Chromecast). Every channel I want to watch seems to have a unique technical path to get there: CBS, use the Comcast website on the PC and Chromecast; NBC or Fox live, use the Sling app. NBC also can be streamed live from the phone app when Sling becomes problematic, but is subject to frequent disconnect. HBO is slightly better using Fire than the phone app. Sometimes I have to try multiple methods to try to find something stable. NBC, for example, can be streamed full screen from their website and Chromecast, but at random times it will put the screen controls (volume, pause, end full screen) right in the middle of the screen until I go up stairs and click on the page. Jumping through all of these hoops would be more palatable if the result was a nice picture and uninterrupted streaming, but it just doesn't happen.

Furthermore, the Fire apps for NBC and Fox tell me I'm not authorized to watch canned shows (although it does say I am successfully authenticated) but it works using the phone apps. Last night we watched the Celebrity Master Chef recording Chromecasting from my phone. Dozens of times, the screen just froze, at one point, I power cycled everything to get something moving again. For large swaths of the show, the image was so pixelated that I might as well been looking through a kaleidoscope. Infuriating.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Hulu announced today that it's future tv streaming service will have CBS on board - which is a nice get for them. I still don't think there will be a value proposition here, but I'll have to wait and see on the pricing.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Jeff V wrote: I make sure at every opportunity to let me wife know how frustrated I am with jumping through all of these hoops only to achieve unsatisfactory results. With cable, everything just instantly worked, and I didn't have to give up things like most sports (it's going to be a long, unpleasant winter with no basketball or hockey to watch). The moment it seems we can afford it again, I expect she'll give me the green light.
If you are so miserable, then maybe you should figure out something else - like signing up for DirecTV or Dish as a brand-new customer, using their promotional offers (probably starting at about $30/month?) Use your wife's maiden name, if you have to. Heck, you can even pull that with Comcast, they only care about the name, not the address - if the name is not in the system, then you're a "new customer". Game the system, live a little :)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

For Jeff, it's never about reaching his destination. It's about being able to bitch about the journey. :P
Covfefe!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Comcrap's "introductory" offer was no prize pig once they started ringing up additional costs (oh, you want HD?? Bend over, please, this is going to hurt). Our landlord already warned us that satellite is useless by us. My wife won't agree to anything that increases costs, which for the Comcrap streaming package is $15 (requires Comcrap internet services, which is $30-ish).
Black Lives Matter
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

So you go through all this effort with Chromecast to watch stuff *on your TV*, and yet the streaming package is a dealbreaker for you?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The streaming package is limited to what it does, because the Comcast app for it is so limited. I have to use separate apps to get more out of it, but those are problematic too as I mentioned. The thing is, there is no single interface that just works, like it would with a regular cable TV package. Depending on what I want to watch, I have to use separate apps for everything, and none of it is capable of supplying a remotely pleasant experience for the very limited thing each is asked to do. I used to like to relax watching TV at night, now, it raises my blood pressure more than anything.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Such is the life of a cord-cutter. There will be no all-in-one solution. You will need a spreadsheet. Do I use my smart tv app to watch CBS, or do I use my tablet app to pull up NBC so I can Chromecast it?

The other option is to pay for the convenience of the one-stop solution.