Firefly/Serenity, do I watch it?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: Firefly/Serenity, do I watch it?

Post by hepcat »

I wasn't a fan of the comic books. Same with the Buffy and Angel comics. I tried a few but found them lacking. I also much prefer the theory (that was disproved in the comics, I guess) that the operative IS Book's story played out through that character in Serenity. Sure, it's not canon, but I don't care. :snooty:
He won. Period.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I think Book was absolutely crucial to the mix not because of his secret past but because of his present character. As a man of God, he brought loads of theme to the story, and he was a perfect counterpoint character (especially as a friend and confessor rather than a scold) to the amoral grey-market leanings of the rest of the crew. Plus nobody paired better with River.

Serenity spoilers:
Spoiler:
As much as I adore Wash, I can maybe forgive JW for killing him since the moment was so dramatic and shocking and poignant. But Book's death was totally unnecessary: he could just as easily have separated from the crew on his own spiritual-or-whatever business, and his whole presence on the scene of the attack seemed contrived. Whedon's storytelling really didn't earn the right to kill him.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

El Guapo wrote:They could, and probably would (if they had a chance to do a new season) do it without Wash or Book (aside possibly from a few flashback sequences). Yes, they were great characters and played well off the others, but they're still just parts of the overall ensemble. If you had the others, and the key writers (especially Whedon) the show would still be great.

Though admittedly Book's absence in particular would suck, because he would have been a great vehicle to explore the government / federation/ whatever the hell it was called. Maybe replace him with the enforcer guy from Serenity, as I would think you could do similar things with him.
Its sci-fi, if they want to bring back Wash or Book, they can do it easily. If they can bring the Lone Gunmen back to the X Files, bringing back Wash or Book to Firefly is nothing. I also doubt very much that they would do a Firefly revival with out Alan Tudyk, at the very least. He is so tight with the rest of the cast ( and is especially good friends with Fillion ), that they would probably boycott doing the show without him.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

Nathan Fillion was at the recent NYC comic-con.

For those that don't know he is one of the character voices in the game Destiny, he is the Hunter
Cayde-6.

A guy on the Destiny Reddit had these two pictures, and a story of his experience

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame ... de6_today/

Holman

Post by Holman »

That's a great story.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Enlarge Image
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He should've been Green Lantern when DC made the movie. That was a no brainer, for God's sake.
He won. Period.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Holman

Post by Holman »

Oh, this thread is fun.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol: Love it.
He won. Period.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator