[boardgame] Queen's Necklace

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

freelunch

[boardgame] Queen's Necklace

Post by freelunch »

'twas my daughter's ninth birthday today and along with a GBA-SP she got Queen's Necklace - a rather neat little card game from the creators of Ticket To Ride and Pirate's Cove (both games I've seen praised on the old forum, but which I haven't yet tried myself)

the game is designed for 2-4 players. we played one two-player game today and it was a lot of fun. anyone in the market for a gift for an 8+ year old girl could do a lot wose.

there are a couple of in-depth reviews up at BoardGameGeek if anyone is interested in reading more about it.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Is the "Queen" in the game Josephine, and do you get to be Napoleon ransacking Europe to loot enough money to pay for it? :P
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

with a little roleplaying (and a bunch of tabletop miniatures) anything is possible I guess.
Mithridates

Post by Mithridates »

Andy,

By all means, grab Ticket to Ride. Easy enough for the whle family to play and lots of fun too. It's not my favorite game ever, but its very good and usually the one I use to introduce non-gamers to German games.
Meghan

Post by Meghan »

thanks Andrew - I like the premise of that game. I'll have to try it out.
If I ventured in the slipstream / between the viaducts of your dream

aka merneith, aka kylhwch
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

Mithridates wrote:By all means, grab Ticket to Ride. Easy enough for the whle family to play and lots of fun too. It's not my favorite game ever, but its very good and usually the one I use to introduce non-gamers to German games.
I do plan on grabbing it eventually - I've been put off by reports of problems for colourblind players but the new edition has dealt with that issue :)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I was at a convention all day Saturday and didn't even check out the gaming room. :( When I get back in the new game buying groove I am totally going to have to pick your brains.
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

looking at my game shelf I don't actually have much new on there other than kids games. I've just wrapped up this year's Christmas shopping and most of my family are getting boardgames from me yet again...

...if only some of them lived closer I'd have more regular players :(

next up for me are Wyatt Earp and Colossal Arena which I should have by the end of the year, along with Heroscape for my kids (and me!) and the first two Runebound expansions. that should be enough to keep us going for six months or more :)
Mithridates

Post by Mithridates »

I've had good luck as of late. I picked up Princes of Florence and Maharaja and am crazy about them. We've already played several games of each and I imagine we'll be doing so for quite awhile. (We also got Traders of Genoa , but only played once.)

As for the Ticket to Ride color-blind thing, I hear you. We started a board game "fellowship" for our church small groups and one of the players we had here was color-blind. It was quite the fiasco as the poor guy labored through a game of Ticket to Ride. He had to ask us constantly which color was which. I did read about the new version, so its nice that Days of Wonder is addressing it.
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

Colossal Arena turned up in my mail yesterday - a definite thumbs up from my daughter and myself following one after-school game. thanks to whoever recommended it on the old board :)
cc_TheToph

Boardgames-R-Me

Post by cc_TheToph »

Colossal Arena gets better with more players, too. I have played all 5-player games, and they are close. Really close.

Traders of Genoa is my favorite Alea game... better than PR, PoF, Taj Mahal... it just offers so much freedom, and the best negotiators (in a particular game) will win, no matter what. Fun, fun game. One of the most unique games on my shelf.

I will be posting a thread about my latest All-time Classic Game - Wallenstein - sometime today. If you've played it or have some questions, drop by the thread. It's my favorite game since Twilight Imperium, and that's saying a lot.

It's good that this place was created. I missed the Gone Gold community.
Now Playing:
PC: Raven Shield & Rome: TW
X-Box: Nada
Gamecube: Nada
Board: Samurai, WALLENSTEIN, Tigris & Euphrates
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I love Princes. If you enjoy Princes, I highly recommend Puerto Rico. The two complement each other well. I own Traders and a lot of my friends really love it. I enjoy it, but not enough to make it a game I want to break out whenever people come over. I am not familiar with Maharaja. Please 'splain.

I don't know if I recommended Titan: The Arena or not. I do own it, enjoy it and have talked about it tangentially to Titan (which will not be for your daughter at the age of 9) which is a game we still play way to much. I am a little surprised the started reprinting Titatan: The Arena, but am glad more people get to enjoy it. If you want more ideas for out of print games, and I know you like two player games, If you can find it The Challenge was a snifty game, I think out of Norway. It was a two player game where you set up battle lines and supported those lines. I always had a good time with it, though the components quality was not very high.

Oh and for Titan: the Arena, the learning curve is awesome. The first time you play your bets are all over the table. The second time you play everyone bets on the Dragon and the Hydra. The third time you play everyone is out to assassinate those two guys as quickly as possible.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Thanks for the timely heads-up, Andrew.

I'll definitely be checking out The Queen's Necklace for my 9-year old daughter this Christmas. We are always looking for Friday, family-night games that we can all play.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

I hope she likes it Jolor.

I've heard of Titan but since it is out of print I've never bothered reading up on it. maybe someone like Fantasy Flight Games will resurrect it someday so I can check it out. with no local source of new games (nevermind out-of-print ones) and the high price of boardgames in Australia I'm pretty limited in what I can pick up.

I'm not fixated on two-player games, but I like two-player to be an option since I can't often find a third player... that's going to change as my kids get older though :)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

From what I am told, Titan will never come back. Rumor has it that the designers still own the rights and had unforseen trouble with lawsuits and people complaining about things they shouldn't complain about. It's one of those things that they don't really want to be reminded of...We all know how that goes on a personal level. How many can enjoy the fruits of your labor that have become a burden to you. :wink:
Mithridates

Post by Mithridates »

Maharaja features several cities in India with little villages on the roads between them. The goal is to build the most palaces and houses in the city the Maharaja will visit next. By doing that, you get the most money as a reward and can use that to fund future buildings. The end goal is to build all 7 of your palaces(they are expensive to build.) The beauty of the game is that each player gets two actions per round and these can used to build houses and palaces, move existing houses, collect gold, change the role they are playing(each role has a perk), and best of all, rearrange the order of the cities the Maharaja will visit.

These actions are picked by everyone at the beginning of the round and can't be modified. So, you have to plan ahead and anticipate what other people will do. I can't possibly do the game justice in words, but when you play it, you suddenly become aware that there are some many different strategies to try out. Pretty cool.