The Winds of Winter [GRRM] [NotDoneYet]

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

The Winds of Winter [GRRM] [NotDoneYet]

Post by Zaxxon »

Probably don't need a thread for this on its own yet, but I just read an interview with GRRM where he answered a question as to how it's coming. Might as well start the countdown thread now...

Warning: GRRM is only partially working on TWoW. Handle your rage before continuing...
HBO One final question on behalf of all your fans -- how's the next book coming?

George R.R. Martin I'm working on that, and a number of "Ice and Fire" related things at the same time. Not only "The Winds of Winter," which is Book 6, but we're also coming out with a big concordance called "The World of Ice and Fire," which is about the whole history of Westeros and will be lavishly illustrated. So I've been filling in some of the histories of the kings who ruled 200 years ago or 500 years ago. We've also been doing a map book, and I'm working on a new novella about Dunk and Egg, the prequel series I have. It's a slow process the way I write, especially books of this size that are as large and complex as they are. It's still a slow process. I am aware of the TV series moving along behind me like a giant locomotive, and I know I need to lay the track more quickly, perhaps, because the locomotive is soon going to be bearing down on me. The last thing I want is for the TV series to catch up with me. I've got a considerable headstart, but production is moving faster than I can write. I'm hoping that we'll finish the story at about the same time... we'll see.
Hmm; finishing the story at the same time would put book 7 out in...

Season 1 - Book 1 - 2011
Season 2 - Book 2 - 2012
Seasons 3 & 4 - Book 3 - 2013 - 2014
Season 5 - Book 4 - 2015
Season 6 - Book 5 - 2016
Season 7 - More of Books 4 & 5 (my guess) - 2017
Season 8 - Book 6 - 2018
Season 9 - Book 7 - 2019

Who knows... But I can't see the HBO series going much further than that, so I think 2020 is really the drop-dead timeframe. Hopefully GRRM doesn't drop dead before then...
Scuzz

Re: The Winds of Winter [GRRM] [NotDoneYet]

Post by Scuzz »

The last thing I want is for the TV series to catch up with me. I've got a considerable headstart, but production is moving faster than I can write. I'm hoping that we'll finish the story at about the same time... we'll see.

Why did that make me laugh?
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

He's going to cock it up. Mark my words -- one way or another this will end badly.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

wait... S03 isn't before 2013?!?
Nooooooooooooo
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

So I just started the series, finishing the first two books and I enjoyed what I've read. Taking a small break to read other things but look forward to reading more. But I've been weak and have scanned some of the threads about the other books and I suspect as I read further in the series that winter is coming (in terms of quality of writing)...but not in a good way.
Last edited by $iljanus on Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Vorret wrote:wait... S03 isn't before 2013?!?
Nooooooooooooo
You seriously expected season 3 this year?
Hodor.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

pr0ner wrote:
Nooooooooooooo
Yes :(
I mean... October is a long way from now!

:cry:
Isgrimnur wrote:
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Vorret wrote:
pr0ner wrote:
Nooooooooooooo

Season 1 came out in April 2011. Season 2 came out in April 2012. Not sure why you'd think that Season 3 wouldn't follow the same pattern.
Hodor.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

pr0ner wrote:
Vorret wrote:
pr0ner wrote:
Nooooooooooooo

Season 1 came out in April 2011. Season 2 came out in April 2012. Not sure why you'd think that Season 3 wouldn't follow the same pattern.
I started watching in October last year... it mislead me !
Isgrimnur wrote:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

FWIW, I'd be interested in reading your email and reply from GRRM when you indicate it's only fair that since you started watching in October of 2011, season 3 of the HBO series should start in October of 2012 --- to hell with the production schedule. :wink:
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

So how many of the original actors will still be playing the same roles in 2020 for book 7?
Black Lives Matter
Jag

Post by Jag »

Get Sanderson on standby, stat!
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

He's 63 now...I don't see him doing it unless he suddenly steps things up immensely. Sanderson indeed.
wire

Post by wire »

He will rue the fact that he didn't put a five year gap between book 3 and 4 like he was originally going to do. My guess is that the tv production will have to do this at some point. The youngest characters can't really be in their early 20's when the book timeline is only about two years between book 1 and 5.
Nightwish

Post by Nightwish »

He's totally not going to write it on time, and I'm already debating with myself whether I'll watch the final season.
This is not a complaint, mind.
me in OO -> just reading, but sometimes I do speak my mind
Odin

Post by Odin »

$iljanus wrote:So I just started the series, finishing the first two books and I enjoyed what I've read. Taking a small break to read other things but look forward to reading more. But I've been weak and have scanned some of the threads about the other books and I suspect as I read further in the series that winter is coming (in terms of quality of writing)...but not in a good way.
It's kind of hard to explain. It's not the quality of the writing, exactly. I mean, the characters are still incredibly alive and real and consistent, and the world feels like you could step right into it, look around, and know exactly where you were. It's more that he gets lost in the minutia and in some of the less-vital characters, spending too much time (in my opinion - not everyone agrees) recounting day-to-day events that ultimately don't (seem to) mean a damn thing. This same guy has skipped the details of not just major battles, but whole campaigns by major, major characters, and then follows one character traipsing around the countryside, camping out with hedge knights, bandying words with local nobles, shopping for accessories, etc., etc., etc., Gah! It's all told with Martin's amazing ability to make it feel like it's happening to people you could walk up to and meet, but that doesn't help when those actual-seeming people are just wandering around doing nothing much. Books 4 and 5 are just stuffed full of crapola that I feel ought to have been trimmed or deleted entirely, and as we can see it (along with all of his many other projects) has potentially put Martin not just behind schedule, but in jeopardy of actually finishing the thing by the deadline (the deadline, in this case, being his health or the TV series schedule or both). The fact that, I believe, he has stated that he would not allow anyone else to complete the work in the event of his untimely demise doesn't help, either (though that may just be a rumor - I cannot remember where I read it or how credible the source was).

It would be extremely helpful if his editor sat him down and said, "George - THIS is the story. THIS PART RIGHT HERE. Cut away all the rest of the crap and TELL THE STORY." I'm not optimistic that will happen, however.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Maybe when he's gone, we can get a Brian Herbert-type of stories to expand the universe.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Odin wrote:It would be extremely helpful if his editor sat him down and said, "George - THIS is the story. THIS PART RIGHT HERE. Cut away all the rest of the crap and TELL THE STORY." I'm not optimistic that will happen, however.
And here....and over there....and right there, too.

Wait a minute, we've discovered another part of the story after we cut out all that crap. G.R.R.M. reminds me of the WHARRGARBL dog.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sample chapter: Arianne Martell
RLMullen

Post by RLMullen »

I'm late to this series. I'm just reading them now.

GRRM writes this story the same way that I play Skyrim. There are about three main quests that I'm working on, but I tend to wander aimlessly until I've filled my quest log with so much crap that I can't remember which quests I was actually working on. "Oooooo... what's over here... I've never seen this cave before..."

I got about 20% into book three and put it down. I decided to take a long break between each one. I noticed that subsequent books are bloated with far too much re-telling of what happened in prior books. This probably works better if the books are read in the manner in which they were created. Reading them back to back becomes quite annoying when you are essentially reading the same story for a second, or third time. Coupled with the slow pace of the plot reading book three immediately after one and two was quite agonizing. I'm hoping that a long break between each book will minimize this effect because I do like the world that he's created.

Also, reading these books makes me hungry. Has there ever been an author so fascinated with food?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Dude. If you stopped 20% of the way through book 3, we can't help you. That book is pure gold.
RLMullen

Post by RLMullen »

Zaxxon wrote:Dude. If you stopped 20% of the way through book 3, we can't help you. That book is pure gold.
Excellent! Maybe by the time I return to it, I'll have forgotten enough of the first two books that having them re-hashed in book three will be necessary instead of annoying. :)

I tend to read in spurts; I always have. I'll read a series once it is completed, and then read all of the books back to back. The necessary re-telling of prior stories is always annoying because of this. For some reason the re-telling seemed especially annoying in "A Song of Ice and Fire". It's probably because I'm getting old.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

RLMullen wrote:Also, reading these books makes me hungry. Has there ever been an author so fascinated with food?
He's not the only one.
A passion project from superfans and amateur chefs Chelsea Monroe-Cassel and Sariann Lehrer—and endorsed by George R. R. Martin himself—A Feast of Ice and Fire lovingly replicates a stunning range of cuisines from across the Seven Kingdoms and beyond. From the sumptuous delicacies enjoyed in the halls of power at King’s Landing, to the warm and smoky comfort foods of the frozen North, to the rich, exotic fare of the mysterious lands east of Westeros, there’s a flavor for every palate, and a treat for every chef.
RLMullen

Post by RLMullen »

Isgrimnur wrote:
RLMullen wrote:Also, reading these books makes me hungry. Has there ever been an author so fascinated with food?
He's not the only one.
A passion project from superfans and amateur chefs Chelsea Monroe-Cassel and Sariann Lehrer—and endorsed by George R. R. Martin himself—A Feast of Ice and Fire lovingly replicates a stunning range of cuisines from across the Seven Kingdoms and beyond. From the sumptuous delicacies enjoyed in the halls of power at King’s Landing, to the warm and smoky comfort foods of the frozen North, to the rich, exotic fare of the mysterious lands east of Westeros, there’s a flavor for every palate, and a treat for every chef.
Awesome! That book is going on my wish list.
Teggy

Post by Teggy »

I can do without lamprey pie, thank you.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I guess you're not British.
Every Jubilee and Coronation, the people of Gloucester have sent a pie to the Royal household made from lampreys, a locally sourced eel-like fish.

But for the first time in centuries the city has been forced to import the delicacy from abroad, because of a scarcity in its rivers.

The "lamprey pie" for the Diamond Jubilee gift to Queen is to be made from Canadian-sourced fish.

The custom of sending the pie stretches back to the at least the Middle Ages when it was considered to be a great treat.

It was so popular that King Henry I was said to have died of food poisoning in 1135, caused by his eating "a surfeit of lampreys", of which he was excessively fond.
Teggy

Post by Teggy »

Not last I checked.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Isgrimnur wrote:I guess you're not British.
Every Jubilee and Coronation, the people of Gloucester have sent a pie to the Royal household made from lampreys, a locally sourced eel-like fish.

But for the first time in centuries the city has been forced to import the delicacy from abroad, because of a scarcity in its rivers.

The "lamprey pie" for the Diamond Jubilee gift to Queen is to be made from Canadian-sourced fish.

The custom of sending the pie stretches back to the at least the Middle Ages when it was considered to be a great treat.

It was so popular that King Henry I was said to have died of food poisoning in 1135, caused by his eating "a surfeit of lampreys", of which he was excessively fond.
I'd give it a try. I figure if people are willfully eating something that ugly it must be delicious. What's the worst that could happen anyway, die like a king?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Archinerd wrote:What's the worst that could happen anyway, die like a king?
Hopefully not like any of the last several kinds of Westeros. ;)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

It was a great treat in the middle ages... not now. We know better now.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

Damn it! I was hoping to come into this resurrected thread to find that the book was finished!

Oh well, the wait continues...
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Torfish wrote:Damn it! I was hoping to come into this resurrected thread to find that the book was finished!
You are funny.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

That's why it says [NotDoneYet]. If it were, I'd be hassling Zaxxon to change the title.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

coopasonic wrote:
It was a great treat in the middle ages... not now. We know better now.
Mmmm, just like a tasty eel. And...
Unlike other fish, the lamprey has no scales, jaws, gill covers or bony skeleton.
Yummmy! Just made for eating!

Well, until just reading this from Wikipedia...
The mucus and serum of several Lamprey species including the Caspian lamprey (Caspiomyzon wagneri), River Lampreys (Lampetra fluviatilis and L. planeri) and Sea lamprey (Petromyzon marinus), are known to be toxic, and require thorough cleaning before cooking and consumption.
Damn you Wikipedia!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Isgrimnur wrote:That's why it says [NotDoneYet]. If it were, I'd be hassling Zaxxon to change the title.
Reporting for duty.... Err... .Crap.
MHS

Post by MHS »

I hope that's just a rough draft or that it gets better editing before it goes to publishing.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Zaxxon wrote:Dude. If you stopped 20% of the way through book 3, we can't help you. That book is pure gold.
Book 3 was awesome.

I just finished plowing through Book 4 which was not quite so awesome. Really, really don't care about the Ironmen and their succession.

It's going to be odd when the HBO series starts up again. When I watched the first two seasons I hadn't read the books. Now that I have I'll have to try to remember two similar but not identical storylines.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

This thread needs to cease being bumped until the damned thing is done. Everytime I see it I get excited and then disappointed. :x :lol:
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

I'm reading through the Book 4 thread and just came across this little gem
Zaxxon wrote:Current plan is 7 books.

5 - A Dance With Dragons - Feb (?) 2007
6 - The Winds of Winter - 2010 (?)
7 - A Dream of Spring - When the Cows Come Home
:lol:

:grund:
stessier

Post by stessier »

I started The Wheel of Time in 1995. Based on that experieince, after book 2 of Game of Thrones, even though I loved it, I decided to wait until the series was done to read any more. I hope I live a long, long time.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles