Need A Bit Of Credit Advice

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Abiding Dude

Need A Bit Of Credit Advice

Post by Abiding Dude »

I thought I would call upon the awesome might of a fully operational message board to helping me resolve a recent quandary in my life. I recently received a letter from a credit collection company saying I had an account past due and needed to fork over 100 bucks to them. The letter said that the disputed amount was owed to Verizon. Briefly, here is the sequence of events that I think prompted this letter:

December, 2003: I order DSL service from Verizon. They send me a 100 dollar modem but cannot fulfill the DSL service order, so I send the modem back.

February, 2004: I again order DSL service and they send me a modem and fulfill the DSL order (broadband yay!)

Around May or June, 2004: I receive a letter from Verizon saying I owe them 100 bucks for a modem. I call them back and they say they received the first modem from the first DSL order and that it is a mistake and that if I don't hear back from them not to worry about it.

October, 2004: I receive a credit collection notice from some "attorney" saying I owe Verizon 100 dollars.

At this point, what should I do? My credit is spotless and I've never had to clear up a credit dispute so I'm not sure what the proper steps are to clear this up and make sure there are no black marks on my credit history.
Tim Frederick

Post by Tim Frederick »

Hmm, I can't help really, but as long as you have that first letter back from Verizon saying that they got the 1st modem, then it seems there should not end up being any problems, as that seems pretty solid evidence in your favor.
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

It doesn't appear (from the initial post) that there is a letter from Verizon saying that you returned their modem. If you don't have such a letter, call them and get one. Demand one. That very day. By fax. Ask to speak to supervisers if they refuse. Don't take no for an answer. Debt collectors won't take no for an answer from you.

When you have that letter, send a letter of your own to Verizon's collections division, with a copy to the "attorney" (why the quotes? It's illegal for him to call himself an attorney if he isn't one, so he probably is though he won't sue you over $100) requesting that any adverse credit reporting be expunged.

Be respectful. Be polite. But do use the words "Federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act" and do indicate that it is a violation of that Act to publicize a non-existent debt.

Then get a copy of your credit report from the three major credit reporting agencies, Equifax, Trans Union, and TRW. Look for a negative entry from Verizon (or anyone else). If there is such an entry from Verizon, write an explanation, send it to whichever credit reporting agency has the negative entry, and request that the explanation be attached to your file. Make sure the explanation includes a copy of Verizon's letter stating that you returned the modem.

Hope that helps.
Abiding Dude

Post by Abiding Dude »

Thanks for the advice, Tareeq. You are correct: I did not get anything in writing from Verizon that said I had returned the modem. They assured me that I would be contacted by them if they had any other outstanding issues. Next time, I will insist on getting it in writing.

I have sent a snail-mail to the collection agency stating what I have outlined above. I used the quotes because, although I have to assume at face value that they are indeed attorneys, I think they highlight it in that their letter as a scare tactic. I have also sent an email to Verizon asking for help on this issue. I have had nothing but problems with Verizon since I got the DSL and would love to cease giving them my money, but I have no realistic broadband solution that is as cost effective.

If I have to get credit reports to clear up this discrepancy, is there any way that I can get Verizon to pay for them since it is their mistake that prompted this whole mess?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Looks like Tareeq covered all the bases. I'd just add that you should open a paper file yourself, write up a detailed explanation with as many specifics as you can remember, and keep a paper copy of all related correspondence on hand. You might need this if you apply for a big loan, like a mortgage.

Something similar happened to the Bride of Ironrod many years ago. Macy's mistakenly charged her account for something she didn't buy, then sent dunning letters to an obsolete address, and finally turned her over for collection, which also proceeded to harrass the old address. We didn't hear about it until an ancient collection notice got forwarded our way about 6 months after its postmark, by which time her credit was harmed. When we bought our house, her inch-thick file folder on the dispute was enough to convince the bank to look the other way. So don't rely on other people to straighten it out -- you might end up having to explain it in detail at some point.

Macy's, btw, was completely uninterested in resolving the complaint. When contacted, they basically called her a deadbeat and said they would ruin her credit. They never could explain what she had supposedly bought, so it was pretty easy to document their incompetence.
Abiding Dude

Post by Abiding Dude »

Thanks Ironrod; I did start writing down a chronological list of everything that has transpired since that ill-fated DSL-ordering-day (alas, this whole event has made me prone to dramatic hyperbole :D ) Unfortunately, I still do not have anything in writing from Verizon, but I plan on at least getting some more information on what this whole deal is about.

It's terribly unfair that I have done nothing wrong here, and yet I feel like I have to defend myself. I am planning on asking Verizon for some compensation for my time and energy; surely they will accomodate a modest proposal for free DSL for the rest of the year :)
KingB

Post by KingB »

I have an enormous stack of letters from collection agencies and attorneys. Bankruptcy is a bummer. :(

Here is my advice. Dont be me and you will be ok. :D
Currently thinking of something clever.........
Austin

Post by Austin »

When I first moved to NC, I joined Golds Gym. When I moved to OH, I canceled my membership under the condition that I was moving more than 'X' miles away. (Cannot remember the distance)

A few months later I received a call from a collections agency saying that they were collecting for money I owed Golds Gym. I explained the situation, confirmed my new address which was obviously far enough away and they said something to the effect of, "Why am I calling you than? This is ridiculous." Anyway, they dropped it and nothing ever showed up on my credit report. Sounds like they were a bit pissed with Golds. My guess Golds was selling them a bunch of half-assed debt.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

It's terribly unfair that I have done nothing wrong here, and yet I feel like I have to defend myself. I am planning on asking Verizon for some compensation for my time and energy; surely they will accomodate a modest proposal for free DSL for the rest of the year
HAHAHAHAHA...Have you ever talked to the TelCo's. Verizon in specific is a hoot. I actually have a sales team I work with at Verizon and they can't keep anything straight as a home user your going to get a 10 minute processing from someone you'll never hear from again. Count on a huge loss of time, 2 Tylenol, and nooooo compenataion.

BTW email is too slow and you never know where you stand. Go to your verizon bill and call the service/support number. Get names and write them down, because you will talk to more than one person in more than one department. As Tareeq would no alot more than I would, I'd go with his bulldog advice and not stop until you get a fax that day. Escalate the call quickly if you are not being dealt with properly. Inform them that their collection agency demands it and you are simply caught in the middle. Oh and I would start by calling the same number or department you called in May.

Good luck. Trust me I know what a hassle this can be.
Odin

Post by Odin »

Abiding Dude wrote: If I have to get credit reports to clear up this discrepancy, is there any way that I can get Verizon to pay for them since it is their mistake that prompted this whole mess?
Each credit reporting service is required to provide you with one free copy of your credit report per year, so unless you've already gotten 2004 copies of your report, there should be no fee involved.

Sith
Abiding Dude

Post by Abiding Dude »

Are the free credit reports available in all states? I thought only certain states in the US allowed a free credit report.

I called up Verizon today and they said they would send out a letter to me and to the collection agency within 2 weeks. I was assured that there would be no indication on my credit record of their screw-up. I will call them next week to remind them :)

Unfortuantely I was so overjoyed to potentially be resolving this situation so quickly (a joy that is no doubt misplaced and presumptuous), that I forgot to ask for just-compensation for the minutes of agony I have gone thru the last several days. I will have to be content with the satisfaction of getting this resolved once-and-for-all.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Just so long as you got a name. :) I would then send the name off to the attorney and let him know he is waiting two weeks and he should probalby contact such and such at Verizon for further resolution.
Odin

Post by Odin »

Abiding Dude wrote:Are the free credit reports available in all states? I thought only certain states in the US allowed a free credit report.
Sonofagun, you're right. I'll be damned, but I was certain that everybody was entitled to one free copy of their credit report each year. Did it used to be like that and something changed maybe? Damn. :(

Sith
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Phedis wrote:I have an enormous stack of letters from collection agencies and attorneys. Bankruptcy is a bummer. :(

Here is my advice. Dont be me and you will be ok. :D
I've already 'been you'. I feel much better now.... :)
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LordMortis wrote:Verizon in specific is a hoot. I actually have a sales team I work with at Verizon and they can't keep anything straight as a home user your going to get a 10 minute processing from someone you'll never hear from again. Count on a huge loss of time, 2 Tylenol, and nooooo compenataion.
LM's advice is good. I have a couple of Verizon stories, too. Once I tried to change my long distance service, add their DSL, and bring the Bride of Ironrod's cell service into the same account for one flat price. They freaked out. Three different departments of Verizon would have had to cooperate with one another, and there was no way that was ever going to happen. Wisely, I dropped the idea and got Earthlink DSL instead.

Another time, I called them for some pricing information on a business service. I decided against the service. Now you're going to think that they added it to my account anyway, and I had trouble cancelling it. No, that would be understandable. Somehow I started getting bills for a phone number that didn't exist. I called them several times, and each time they agreed that (1) I had never requested that service, and (2) the phone number they were billing really didn't exist at all. This did not prevent a bill for $10.14 from arriving every month. Eventually I got them to stop sending new bills, but they never did figure out how to remove the "amount due" from their books. Fortunately the business went belly-up before they sent their bogus bill for collection.

Realize that you are probably dealing with incompetents in an organization that they cannot control. Never assume that they will do what they say, and make sure you get names and document dates and phone numbers.
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

Sith Lord wrote:
Abiding Dude wrote:Are the free credit reports available in all states? I thought only certain states in the US allowed a free credit report.
Sonofagun, you're right. I'll be damned, but I was certain that everybody was entitled to one free copy of their credit report each year. Did it used to be like that and something changed maybe? Damn. :(

Sith
If you're denied credit based upon information contained within a credit report, you're entitled to one free copy of the report that was the basis for denial. The rule hasn't changed recently.
Abiding Dude

Post by Abiding Dude »

I ran across this on the MSN Money site today:
"Everybody owes it to themselves to get a copy of their credit report, and you should know that the 2003 FACTA (Fair and Accurate Credit Transaction Act) has a provision to allow consumers one free copy of their credit report per year," says Williams. The credit bureaus will be rolling out the act in phases: Residents of the western United States will be able to get their free annual copy starting on Dec. 1, 2004. The Midwest will have access on March 1 of 2005, the southern United States on June 1, 2005, and finally the East Coast on Sept. 1, 2005.
So it looks like we-all will be able to get a free credit report soon enough :D
Odin

Post by Odin »

Ah-hah! I knew I'd heard about this somewhere. I guess I just didn't catch the part about it being forthcoming.

Sith