It's new(er) car time!

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: It's new(er) car time!

Post by Isgrimnur »

Got off the phone with Pentagon Federal Credit Union. I have approval for $17k, with a couple more back for good measure if needed.

I went through a bunch of 2010+ pricing options based on the local dealer websites and have pared it down into the price range category so I can go do a few test drives this weekend.

Aside from the Impala, the short list includes the Hyundai Sonata, Chrysler 300, Dodge Avenger, The Mazda6, and the Galant and Endeavor from Mitsubishi.

I figure that will give me a good variety of vehicles to investigate from which to make a decent selection.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
mori

Post by mori »

Paingod wrote:
DD* wrote:Buy most of my parts from http://www.rockauto.com" target="_blank and save a bundle.
Wow. This site came up on none of my auto parts searches the other day. Looks like they've been around for a while and their parts prices are about as good as I could find anywhere else - except the one place I did find parts as cheaply, the 'reviews' for the website were basically a river of fire on 'PissedConsumer.com'

Partsgeek: 105 complaints (lots of wrong parts, impossible to reach customer service) - very cheap parts.
Rockauto: 1 complaint - very cheap parts.
AdvanceAutoParts - 6 complaints - moderately cheap parts.
NAPA - 7 complaints - full price parts.
Newegg - for comparison - 9 complaints.

I thought about doing the struts myself, but don't have the spring clamps and was basically told by three people that I'd be unable to drive my car to the mechanic for an alignment afterwards because I'd have no way to balance anything. The car is already out of alignment and I've driven it after a bad alignment and couldn't get it over 5mph without the wheel trying to jerk out of my hands.

What I need to do is not wait until I need service as an emergency and try fixing something myself when I first notice the problem. We waited far too long on this and it all fell apart when we tried to get the car inspected.
I have changed struts. I borrowed the cheapo spring clamps which did the job. Do not attempt this job without them! Alignment is not that critical. Just by eyeballing it you can get it in the ballpark. Good enough to drive it somewhere to get it align. I think I drove my car a couple of weeks this way. Make sure to tell them the work you performed as it will make their job easier.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Isgrimnur wrote:Got off the phone with Pentagon Federal Credit Union. I have approval for $17k, with a couple more back for good measure if needed.

I went through a bunch of 2010+ pricing options based on the local dealer websites and have pared it down into the price range category so I can go do a few test drives this weekend.

Aside from the Impala, the short list includes the Hyundai Sonata, Chrysler 300, Dodge Avenger, The Mazda6, and the Galant and Endeavor from Mitsubishi.
I'd avoid the mitsu's like the plague. I wouldn't even go to the dealer. In my auto finance past Mitsu was on the don't fund list because the poor resale on repos made them not worth recovering.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Is there a particular reason? Just shoddy builds, mechanical difficulties?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Since I moved out of the auto division I don't have access to the same reference materials anymore, so I can't back it up with anything. The good news on the used market is the resales are terrible so they should be cheap. The bad news is, there has to be a reason.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I appreciate the info.
mori

Post by mori »

Also Mitsubishi is probably not going to be in the automobile manufacturing business for much longer with no further factory support.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Source?
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Mitsubishi has been in trouble in the North American market for years. I'm shocked they're still here. Same with Suzuki.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

And the winner is: 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE. Felt a better ride than the GLS that I tested, got it certified and extended bumper to bumper warranty, both to 100k miles out the door for under $20k.

Enlarge Image
magic

Post by magic »

Isgrimnur wrote:And the winner is: 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE. Felt a better ride than the GLS that I tested, got it certified and extended bumper to bumper warranty, both to 100k miles out the door for under $20k.

Enlarge Image

Good choice. It's a solid car with a ton of value for money. And I say this as a Toyota employee.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Congrats! Now learn to park in the lines ;).
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Isgrimnur wrote:And the winner is: 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE.
Whoa, what did dad say?

Congrats.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Dad wrote:Nice looking car. looks like you do not need a key to start. Does it have a sun roof?
When do we get to see it in close up at the house?
Looks like you did your home work and made a good choice . Proud of you.
Love dad
mori

Post by mori »

Good choice. Hyundai sells more than just a warranty now.
Fellstrike

Post by Fellstrike »

Cool, we got the exact same car now. :P
"The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" -George Carlin

Currently playing:
Steam - Fellstrike
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

She’s dead (to me), Jim.

Found a Firestone when she started to overheat on the drive home. New radiator fan assembly, $500+. Oil pan and possibly other point leaked out five quarts of oil in a month and a half. $200+. Was in line for rear brakes and a new battery. And the front bumper is cracked in two places.

KBB showed $3k trade-in for “good,” and she isn’t even that. No point spending over 1/3 of her value just to wait for the next major failure.

I did acquire the wife, no kids yet.

And Dad still says not to buy a Ford.

Guy at the shop knows someone that will give me $700 for her. Time to start loan and car shopping and get her cleaned out this weekend.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I have a low mileage, not very gently used and poorly maintained 2012 Infiniti G37 if you want. :D In 5 years the only time it let me down was when the battery died. Bonus it has a battery that is less than 6 months old.

I'm amused that the guy that works for a credit union is loan shopping. Only captives (car manufacturer owned finance companies) can compete with credit union rates for customer with good credit and that generally only applies to new cars.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

When I bought my new car, the dealer offered me the same rate my credit union was offering. A lot of times, dealers offer better rates than even credit unions if you can catch them at the right time of the year.
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

My loan shopping pre-car shopping will be at my credit union and PenFed credit union. And then letting the dealer try to beat the best of those.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The short update is that I bought a 2018 Ford Focus Titanium. Ford had a $4k cashback option at the time that made buying a 2017 used not worth the difference.

$21,070.33 out the door, tack on $2,294 for gap and extended warranty through the credit union. Six year loan at 3%, which the dealer couldn't beat. As I plan on driving the wheels off of it, I'm not concerned about the duration.

I have notes at home that documented my 2-day shopping cavalcade that I will have to compile later.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Congrats. I came awfully close to a Focus ST purchase based on the crazy incentives Ford was offering this Spring.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

I drive a vanpool to work, and basically get paid $70 a month and allowed to drive around 500 miles on my own time. Sometimes I need a 2nd car when I can't drive due to doctor appointments and such. I've been borrowing my mom's red convertible vw bug (yes she made me keep the flower in the cupholder) I probably use it 2-3 times a month if that.

Well the bug kept breaking down when I needed it, and I got tired of it happening as I'm sure my boss is too. So went and leased a Kia Forte for 2 years with the intention to buy it after the lease. It gives us a lower price the first two years. Right now my wife isn't working so having the lower price was the driving point. Plan is that my wife will be working next year when the kids are in school. And I'll have a few raises by then which will cover the backend.

We tried buying a used car via private party and man the banks don't like giving you a good interest rate on 7 year old cars :) We can get a good interest rate when it comes time to buy the forte after the lease is up, so knowing that, we felt it was a good deal.

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I never see the Kia nameplate without thinking "killed in action." MIA and KIA were prominent and emotional acronyms when I was a kid. I know they make really good cars and that name only carries baggage for us old farts.
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

Don't forget to add some flair to the new ride...

18-1™ & 2-0