Whatcha drinking?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kraken

Re: Whatcha drinking?

Post by Kraken »

A new brewery just opened a few miles from home last month. A visit to their taproom is in my near future. And Oct 21 is my packie's big fall beer tasting. It's going to be a good month.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

WTF! No, seriously, I'm drinking WTF! aka Lagunitas Wilco Tango Foxtrot. Billed as a "malty, robust, jobless recovery ale" I can only assume it's made from the squeezings of homeless people lingering around their southside plant. The sobriquet on the label says "We're not quite in the Red, or in the Black...Does that mean we're in the brown?" Yes, yes it does. Deep, deep brown. Doodoo, if you will.

It is a very dark brown ale, malt is not overpowering so the hops come through (64 IBU). At 8.1% ABV, it'd make a great session beer if it was sold in bigger quantity. $5/bomber gets expensive after a dozen or so. But I really like this beer, I'll hopefully be able to sneak another bottle or two into the shopping cart before this limited edition beer is off the shelves.
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Sudy Nym wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:10 am Enlarge Image

I'm still not sure whether this whole pumpkin ale thing is a good idea or not. I didn't conclude so last year. This one's good, but still too much.
On a recent beer run, I picked up two pumpkin beers, and one of them was this one, the other the St-Ambroise Great Pumpkin Ale. Out of the two, the best one was definitely the Pioneer Harvest. The Great Pumpkin was too artificial tasting, which doesn't surprise me since it said "flavoured beer" right on the can. That should have given me a hint right from the start. I remembered after tasting it that I had had before and didn't like it very much.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
mori

Post by mori »

Had a couple of IPAs from Warpigs America. A collaboration between Three Floyds Brewing of Indiana and Mikkeller of the gypsy brewers of Europe. The beers were Lazurite and Foggy Geezer. Both were really good IPAs.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I had one of these over the weekend. Pretty good. Well balanced. I want another.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

mori wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:26 pm Had a couple of IPAs from Warpigs America. A collaboration between Three Floyds Brewing of Indiana and Mikkeller of the gypsy brewers of Europe. The beers were Lazurite and Foggy Geezer. Both were really good IPAs.
I really liked the Lazurite. Is the Foggy Geezer one of those hazy/New England IPAs? I'm not sold on those yet. I've had OK ones, but also really bad ones.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
mori

Post by mori »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:48 pm
mori wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:26 pm Had a couple of IPAs from Warpigs America. A collaboration between Three Floyds Brewing of Indiana and Mikkeller of the gypsy brewers of Europe. The beers were Lazurite and Foggy Geezer. Both were really good IPAs.
I really liked the Lazurite. Is the Foggy Geezer one of those hazy/New England IPAs? I'm not sold on those yet. I've had OK ones, but also really bad ones.
It claims to be one but I would not classify it as one. It is a double IPA but not brutally bitter which allowed me to drink a few in a row which is dangerous considering the ABV. I did prefer Lazurite of the two.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Now that Sukkot is over, my wife chopped up our etrog and put it into a bottle of Absolut vodka (and let it sit) to make an etrog-infused vodka. Had some last night. It was good - basically tasted like a lemony vodka.
Black Lives Matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

New restaurant called Precinct 10 opened nearby. Their schtick is supposed to be Speakeasy decor. Apparently that incorporates Prohibition, because this is their beer list:

Amstel Light
Bass Ale
Blue Moon
Budweiser
Bud Light
Coors Light
Corona
Corona Light
Heineken
Michelob Ultra
Miller Lite
Radeberger Pilsner
Red Bridge
(gluten free)
Sam Adams Boston Lager
Stella Artois
Yuengling Lager
O'Doul's

If they don't want to sell beer, they should just say "None."
mori

Post by mori »

That is one depressing beer list. Although I do enjoy a fresh Radeberger Pilsner on occasion. Plus they are not part of some huge international corporation. They are kind of like a German Sam Adams. And Yuengling is still family owned but the beer itself is boring as hell.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

We got a gift card to Red Lobster and went there a couple months ago. The food was actually better than I remembered, which isn't saying a lot, but the beer list looked just like that. I think they may have had a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and that was the closest thing to a decent beer. Really sad.
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Tonight is Imperial Mexican Biscotti Cake Break, which is a blend of Westbrook's Mexican Cake (which is amazing) and Evil Twin's Imperial Biscotti Break (which I have never tried).

1. It is good.

2. It is not as nearly good as Mexican Cake, and I can't help think that this is a waste of perfectly good Mexican Cake.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Still might try Precinct 10 tomorrow night despite that awful beer list. Apparently those are bottles; one Yelp review says they have a decent draft selection (although who knows what the reviewer's idea of "decent" might be?) and the food generally gets a thumbs up. Prices are on the high side, and several reviews say that the atmosphere can't decide whether it wants to be an upscale "speakeasy" or a sports bar, so it will really come down to whether or not they have any palatable drafts. Worth trying once to make up my own mind, anyway.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kraken wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:37 pm Still might try Precinct 10 tomorrow night despite that awful beer list. Apparently those are bottles; one Yelp review says they have a decent draft selection (although who knows what the reviewer's idea of "decent" might be?) and the food generally gets a thumbs up. Prices are on the high side, and several reviews say that the atmosphere can't decide whether it wants to be an upscale "speakeasy" or a sports bar, so it will really come down to whether or not they have any palatable drafts. Worth trying once to make up my own mind, anyway.
That's a pretty grim list all right, although Sam Adams at least is fine.
Black Lives Matter.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Enlarge Image

OK, how could I not? If it were only sold in kegs, I'd have to buy one to try it. Madison, Wisconsin's Ale Asylum is the third best reason the state exists (the other two reasons are cheese and to provide a vacation refuge for us Illinoisans).

Fortunately, I was able to snag a single 12 oz bottle in a Binny's DYO six pack. I say fortunate because this is not one of my favorite Ale Asylum beers. Billed as an Oktoberfest lager, methinks they hired a Belgian to piss in it. Too fizzy, too low-gravity, and a touch tart puts it at odds with traditional Marzen-style beer. It does have a bit of earthy flavor, which seems out of place in such a light-bodied beer. At a mere 6% ABV, it's certainly not going to pickle your pumpkin. I'm not sure I'd buy this again (this year, anyway, I'm bound to be impressed by the bottle art again next year if they make it). I still love Ale Asylum though, they've done too much good over the years and they'd have to put out a series of stinkers before I start balking on their new releases.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Tonight is two more Octoberfest beers (might be running out of versions to try) Capital Brewing's Octoberfest is a seasonal favorite, but for the second year in a row their divine Autumnal Fire has not been seen here and it's been 6-7 years since I last had their orgasmically good Eisfyre. Their Octoberfest reminds me of these delicious beers and then I become all melancholy over the loss of their much better seasonal creations.

Fruhauf Octoberfest Lager by Pollyanna Brewing, Lemont, IL is a different animal altogether. Named after a building from 1871 that currently houses a restaurant I presume carries their beer, this beer is a little on the spicy side. Not quite a pumpkin pie array of spices, but I think it might have some nutmeg and mace. Only 5.4% ABV, so it'll go with the pie every bit as well as a cup of pumpkin latte.
Black Lives Matter
mori

Post by mori »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:16 pm Tonight is two more Octoberfest beers (might be running out of versions to try) Capital Brewing's Octoberfest is a seasonal favorite, but for the second year in a row their divine Autumnal Fire has not been seen here and it's been 6-7 years since I last had their orgasmically good Eisfyre. Their Octoberfest reminds me of these delicious beers and then I become all melancholy over the loss of their much better seasonal creations.
Got to thinking that I have not seen Autumnal Fire in a couple years either. I knew things changed at Capital Brewing a few years ago when their longtime brewmaster left, but their website still lists it as being a September release. Capital Brewing does not get much shelf space around my area anymore.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Binny's claims it's available in stores, but it might only be at one of their flagship stores. Out here in BFE, the nearest Binny's is the smallest I've been to and I think they maybe had 3 selections from Capital.

Once upon a time, I recall there being floor stacks of Autumnal Fire. It used to come in 6-packs, fairly pricey, but then they switched to 4 packs at the same high price ($11-12).
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Binny's sometimes stashes popular beers in the back. I read an article when Three Floyd's was at the peak of Zombie Dust hysteria when a manager from Binny's said they just keep it in the back for people who ask, because things got too crazy when they put it on the floor. Maybe next time you're in ask if they have any that's not on the floor.
mori

Post by mori »

The nearest appendage of the Evil Empire (Total Wine) is the only store in the area according to Capital Brewery website that has Autumnal Fire. I like the beer but I do not like it that much for me to give TW my money.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Here's what I bought at today's craft beer tasting:

Night Shift: Awake coffee porter
Mayflower: Hometown Brown
Entitled: IPA
Harpoon: Flannel Friday
Berkshire Brewing: Inhopnito IPA
Down the Road: Dreamtime IPA, Undine DIPA
Jack's Abby: Hoponius Union (IPL)
Lord Hobo: Boom Sauce (DIPA), Consolation Prize (DIPA)
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

A Bretter Day by Two Brothers Brewery, Warrenville, IL. Brewed with the apparently trendy brettanomyces yeast, this beer is on the funky side. I can drink about one bottle of this at a time...a friend brought it to a party I hosted a month ago and I still have a bottle left after this one. A mere 5.5% ABV means there isn't much payoff. I won't buy another 6 pack of it, but I'll make it to the end of this one.
Black Lives Matter
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

My “Year Without Beer” continues apace, so I have ushered in the autumn with Glenfarclas 10. Very different from the other SMs I’ve tried, which tend toward harsh and peaty.
mori

Post by mori »

My local brewery celebrated their 3rd Anniversary today and had several special beers on-tap. They had a Russian Imperial Stout aged in 4 Roses Bourbon barrel, their amber ale aged on cherries in the town's distillery bourbon barrel, a double IPA, and a keg of dopplebock leftover from the 1st Anniversary. All 4 were outstanding.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well I'm not drinking water.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I was down to my last bottle of Sierra Oktoberfest and hoped to get some more. No such luck, replaced by Celebration Ale. Which I bought 12, but the food I made last night really went better with the Oktoberfest.
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:47 pm Well I'm not drinking water.
You need to whatever it takes to get some. You don't want to add more health issues on top of everything else.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

A few years ago someone gave me a gallon of the Kirkland brand Scotch, which, all things considered is an adequate substitute for Dewar's. That being said, I still have like .95 gallons of it so I decided to make myself an old-man Scotch Highball, with real lemon zest. It'll do.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:17 pm I was down to my last bottle of Sierra Oktoberfest and hoped to get some more. No such luck, replaced by Celebration Ale. Which I bought 12, but the food I made last night really went better with the Oktoberfest.
I can't believe Celebration is out already. We typically get it a few weeks after you do, but I'm barely ready to buy fall beers. Weather just turned cool yesterday. Guess I'd better stock up on Harpoon Flannel Friday while I still can.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The supermarkets are out of fall beers. Sam Adams Winter Ale is out. Last weekend it was still in the 70's, now 40's with Friday at night. I guess it's time.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Heavy Handed wet-hopped IPA by Two Brother's Brewing, Warrenville, IL. I had this last night at their Roundhouse restaurant in Aurora, AFAIK, they don't can it or bottle it, the last time I had it was at their tap house. When I ordered, I was asked if I wanted the Cascade or Chinook variety. Yes please.

Wife gave me a hard time for ordering two beers but I blamed the small (pint) glasses. When we subsequently watched Thor and he had a self-refilling half-gallon sized mug, I told her that's exactly what I need.

While slightly different in the taste profile, the beer is on par with other seasonal wet (or fresh) hopped beers. 6.8% ABV classifies it as an average-strength beer. I do wish I had more opportunity to have this -- it went really well with their brisket Reuben sandwich (not corned) which otherwise would have been a touch dry.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Jeff, I've seen Fistmas start hitting the shelves in the last week or so. I know you buy into the whole seasonal beer BS, so you probably think it's too early to drink it, but you should probably start stocking up now so you don't have to complain in December that you can't find any.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I've had SSMF a few times in the bar but I saw the six-pack in the store art and have a new appreciation.

Top left only shows one of the 4 panels.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I might buy that more often if it didn't cost $12.99 for a six pack.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:28 pm I might buy that more often if it didn't cost $12.99 for a six pack.
Where? I paid $15.99! :x

I figure with pints at $7 or so in the bar that's ok though.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

My corner mini market (FoodSmart) has Three Floyds 6 packs for $12.99. I'll have to look the next time I'm there to see if the Space Station is any more expensive than the rest. (I'm pretty sure the Mariano's we go to for regular shopping also goes $12.99 for Three Floyds.)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I'll have to look around.

In other news, trader Joe's had single Guinness cans for $1.80. Score!

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:15 am Jeff, I've seen Fistmas start hitting the shelves in the last week or so. I know you buy into the whole seasonal beer BS, so you probably think it's too early to drink it, but you should probably start stocking up now so you don't have to complain in December that you can't find any.
Damn you. I bought the first 6 pack I saw (Trader Joe's) then felt compelled to buy another when Meijer had it a buck cheaper (and refrigerated). I'm drinking one now but yeah, even though it's cold out it still feels too early. I have people coming over tomorrow and needed beer anyway and hey, my walk-in beer cooler is in full operation!
Black Lives Matter
mori

Post by mori »

A little much at 10.5% ABV for breakfast or brunch. I would of liked a little more coffee to come through as this tastes mostly like a bourbon barrel-aged stout and less a coffee beer. Still very good and quite enjoyable. Another outstanding beer from Clown Shoes.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Clown Shoes got Harpooned last week. It's probably for the best. Harpoon is big but it's employee-owned, and it will let Clown Shoes be Clown Shoes.