Amazon has whacked our affiliate account. Hosting Donations/Commitments $2063 of $1920 (Sept 13/18). In Hand $1466 (Lump sum payments minus paypal graft). Paypal Donation Link Here

Whatcha drinking?

Everything else!

Moderators: EvilHomer3k, Bakhtosh

Alefroth

Re: Whatcha drinking?

Post by Alefroth » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:02 pm

I'll be glad when brewers are done exploring the boundaries of an IPA. Brut IPA sounds like a ridiculous trend (because why would I want an IPA to taste like tonic water with lemon). I felt the same way about the NE IPAs which mostly tasted like stale OJ to me. If you want to brew a beer that isn't like an IPA at all, then just call it what it is. I suspect a lot of newer beer drinkers (and maybe even brewers) can only relate to IPAs though, and everything has to start with that as a baseline.

Grumble grumble.

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:10 pm

Jeff V wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:49 pm
Further more, Spotted Cow is only acceptable if your other choices are Lite, Bud Light, Coors Light, and they are out of water. :tjg:
Breaking news! Jeff doesn't like a low ABV farmhouse ale! :P
Alefroth wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:02 pm
I'll be glad when brewers are done exploring the boundaries of an IPA. Brut IPA sounds like a ridiculous trend (because why would I want an IPA to taste like tonic water with lemon). I felt the same way about the NE IPAs which mostly tasted like stale OJ to me. If you want to brew a beer that isn't like an IPA at all, then just call it what it is. I suspect a lot of newer beer drinkers (and maybe even brewers) can only relate to IPAs though, and everything has to start with that as a baseline.

Grumble grumble.
I definitely wish they would call them something other than IPA. I remember reading an article titled something along the lines of, "Do you think you don't like IPAs? These beers will change your mind!" It was all about hazy/juicy/NE IPAs. They're not going to change anyone's minds about IPAs because they don't taste like IPAs. The same can be said for Brut IPAs.
We had subs. It was crazy

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:32 pm

Jeff V wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:46 am
Scuzz wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:58 am
We tried the Brut and yea, it was lite, kinda champagney and probably would be a better summer beer.
This seems to be a growing fad, I've seen a handful of Brut IPAs on the shelves. I can't stand champagne, and beer that is in any way reminiscent of it doesn't belong in my house (this is why I revile the Belgian beers so much). I figure I can safely stay away from this trend, although when I see it at a beer tasting, I might give it a shot just because I don't generally knock something unless I tried it.
It wasn't a "bad" beer but it isn't, to my taste buds at least, what I expect from an IPA. And while it had a little of that champagne style to it I wouldn't call it a champagne.

Kraken

Post by Kraken » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:55 pm

I'll be the heretic who enjoys pushing the boundaries of what "IPA" means. As long as hops are front and center, I don't mind the IPA appellation for beers that depart from the traditional style, as long as they're appropriately labeled. If I got a black brut NE IPA when I thought I was buying a standard bitter hop bomb, I'd be pissed. If something billed as fruity and hazy tastes like Pine-Sol, I'd be pissed.