Whatcha drinking?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

Re: Whatcha drinking?

Post by Jeff V »

Sprecher Oktoberfest, Glendale, Wisconsin. Sprecher Brewery holds a special place in my heart. Before the craft beer craze really got started, Sprecher was on the scene. I remember having insanely expensive beers of theirs ($16 /12oz bottle in the mid-80's) but being in love with their deep, rich flavors that far exceeded anything else domestic at the time. So when a bottle popped up in the Binny's DYO rack, I gave it no thought to pick one up at less than $2 per bottle.

I was not disappointed -- this is the most flavorful beer I've had among the seasonals, a rich, caramel flavor. If it had any booze to speak of, it could compete with my lamented Autumnal Fire (IIRC, that one was 7.5-8%) As it is, this beer could join their line of craft sodas, clocking in at a designated-driver friendly 5.5%.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Hofbrauhaus Festbier, Freising, Germany. I assumed this was bottled domestically but it's not the case, I guess they felt that those extra months transporting the stuff here was essential to creating a product as unexciting as possible (they have a brewery 30 miles from me, for fuck's sake!) This urine-colored beer lacks the amber hue that even the most uninspired of the season still manage. Flavor is of a slightly honeyed lager, no sign of toasted malt or caramel. Sold in cheater bottles, I don't think a six-pack would even fill my stiefel (which, incidentally, bears the Hofbrauhaus logo). And a 6.1% ABV, you can drink those giant steins of it all day long -- but it'll be easier on your wallet if you go there vs. the cheater bottle.
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Doing anything special for the 100th post in this thread, Jeff? :)
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:20 pm Hofbrauhaus Festbier, Freising, Germany. I assumed this was bottled domestically but it's not the case, I guess they felt that those extra months transporting the stuff here was essential to creating a product as unexciting as possible (they have a brewery 30 miles from me, for fuck's sake!)
Aren't the regional Hofbrauhauses kind of like the chain version of Pizzeria Uno's?
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:56 pm Doing anything special for the 100th post in this thread, Jeff? :)
?

Do you mean the 3965th post?
ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:59 am [Aren't the regional Hofbrauhauses kind of like the chain version of Pizzeria Uno's?
Have no idea. Could they possibly be worse than the dreck shipped from Germany? I went to their restaurant once with some of my wife's friends and had a couple steins of maibock -- it was actually fairly decent, if unremarkable. Maybe having to compete with more flavorful American beers make the satellites BETTER than the original?
Black Lives Matter
mori

Post by mori »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:49 pm Sprecher Oktoberfest, Glendale, Wisconsin. Sprecher Brewery holds a special place in my heart. Before the craft beer craze really got started, Sprecher was on the scene. I remember having insanely expensive beers of theirs ($16 /12oz bottle in the mid-80's) but being in love with their deep, rich flavors that far exceeded anything else domestic at the time. So when a bottle popped up in the Binny's DYO rack, I gave it no thought to pick one up at less than $2 per bottle.

I was not disappointed -- this is the most flavorful beer I've had among the seasonals, a rich, caramel flavor. If it had any booze to speak of, it could compete with my lamented Autumnal Fire (IIRC, that one was 7.5-8%) As it is, this beer could join their line of craft sodas, clocking in at a designated-driver friendly 5.5%.
Sprecher had a beer that I absolutely loved that I drank 15 years ago. I think it was called Black Bavarian, unsurprisingly a dark lager. It also came in unusually packaging. I think it was a 4-pack of 16 oz bottles. But Sprecher brewing traditional beers is one that got quickly crowded out of this market and I have not seen them in 10 years. I think I would have to go to Cheeseland to find it now and who wants to do that.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

mori wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:35 pm
Jeff V wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:49 pm Sprecher Oktoberfest, Glendale, Wisconsin. Sprecher Brewery holds a special place in my heart. Before the craft beer craze really got started, Sprecher was on the scene. I remember having insanely expensive beers of theirs ($16 /12oz bottle in the mid-80's) but being in love with their deep, rich flavors that far exceeded anything else domestic at the time. So when a bottle popped up in the Binny's DYO rack, I gave it no thought to pick one up at less than $2 per bottle.

Sprecher had a beer that I absolutely loved that I drank 15 years ago. I think it was called Black Bavarian, unsurprisingly a dark lager. It also came in unusually packaging. I think it was a 4-pack of 16 oz bottles. But Sprecher brewing traditional beers is one that got quickly crowded out of this market and I have not seen them in 10 years. I think I would have to go to Cheeseland to find it now and who wants to do that.
I'm pretty sure it was a Black Bavarian I had way back when. These days, "black" beers, or dark lagers and the like taste burnt or harsh to me, back then, they were go-to for something flavorful. That sort of scene still exists in the craft-free Philippines, where the ubiquitous San Miguel has a dark that I'll drink when flavor-starved by their mass-market pilsners and lagers.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Handup IPA by Deschutes Brewery, Bend, OR. A cycling-themed beer (take note, Drazz), this beer is neither overly bitter (65IBU) or boozy (paltry 6.5%) but nevertheless has a rich and complex flavor. I'd get more if I find it at a good price (occasionally their beers can be had on sale for $8/6).
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:32 pm
Rumpy wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:56 pm Doing anything special for the 100th post in this thread, Jeff? :)
?

Do you mean the 3965th post?

I guess I meant 100th page of this thread. We made it to page 100 :D
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:25 pm Handup IPA by Deschutes Brewery, Bend, OR. A cycling-themed beer (take note, Drazz), this beer is neither overly bitter (65IBU) or boozy (paltry 6.5%) but nevertheless has a rich and complex flavor. I'd get more if I find it at a good price (occasionally their beers can be had on sale for $8/6).
I think my local grocery store has that. I will have to give it a try.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:32 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:59 am [Aren't the regional Hofbrauhauses kind of like the chain version of Pizzeria Uno's?
Have no idea. Could they possibly be worse than the dreck shipped from Germany? I went to their restaurant once with some of my wife's friends and had a couple steins of maibock -- it was actually fairly decent, if unremarkable. Maybe having to compete with more flavorful American beers make the satellites BETTER than the original?
It's almost certainly fresher anyway. I'm guessing they're only geared up for in-house production and not for bottling/canning for distribution, though. If you get their stuff in stores, it's probably imported.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Mind Haze IPA by Firestone Walker, Paso Robles, CA. The hue is urine, but the cloudiness screams UTI. The flavor is watered down grapefruit, reminiscent of an ultra-light version of Lagunitas Lil' Sumpin Extra. 6.2% ABV reinforces the ultra-light vibe. I'm glad I only invested in one can, then again, Firestone Walker is not a brewer I'd trust in the first place.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:22 pm Mind Haze IPA by Firestone Walker, Paso Robles, CA. The hue is urine, but the cloudiness screams UTI. The flavor is watered down grapefruit, reminiscent of an ultra-light version of Lagunitas Lil' Sumpin Extra. 6.2% ABV reinforces the ultra-light vibe. I'm glad I only invested in one can, then again, Firestone Walker is not a brewer I'd trust in the first place.
I would agree this is not one of their best efforts. They do make some decent beers but I think they are pretty much resting on their early rep at this point. I will be driving past the brewery tomorrow. It is amazing the growth they have undergone in the last 10 years. But a couple breweries around them (Barrelhouse and Figuroa Mountain) probably mane better beers at this point in time.
Black Lives Matter
mori

Post by mori »

Bell's Brewing O Captain! My Captain! is labeled a Black India Pale Lager. What a bizarre beer. The taste reminded me of my chewing tobacco days of using Skoal Longcut Wintergreen. Flavors of mint and tobacco. There is some sweetness because sweetness in beers sell today, but otherwise it was all hops. I do know Jeff V would not be pleased with the 5.5% ABV.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Enlarge Image

This is my favorite beer of the moment. Their website does not say how many bunnies go into each can. (Actually, it's so named because it's a toned-down version of their Rabbit Rabbit DIPA.)

Lamplighter Brewing is past the edge of Kendall Square, where Wife works. It's a bit farther than she'd want to walk (a little over a mile), and of course there's never any parking in Cambridge, and it's a taproom, not a brewpub...If Wife's going to walk a mile there and another mile back, there had better be wine and food involved. So arranging a visit would not be as easy as its proximity would suggest. Still going to make the effort one of these days.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Schlafly Oktoberfest, St. Louis. Usually I like Schafly beers, so I didn't shy investing on a 6 when I caught it on sale for $8. The problem with this beer isn't that it's lacking flavor like some of the other seasonal duds, it's the flavor itself that's objectionable. I suspect it's the yeast they use; initially, it tastes like a caramel-tinged fest beer, but then it finishes with a funky sour note similar to a brett. It's only 5.5%, so hardly worth battling through the (for me) unpleasant flavor. I'm struggling to choke down the 3rd, the others might get consigned to having ribs boiled in them, but after summer parties, I already have excessive dreck for that purpose (notably, Dos Equis and Founder's Canned Water).
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Oktober Fest by Goose Island Brewery, Chicago. "It's the most awesomest, flavorful beer ever!" nobody said about Goose Island beers. This is no exception. In a taste test with Sierra Nevada and Sam Adams, all three would lose. 5.7% ABV is not an endearing quality and does not offset the blandness.

But...$13/12!
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

"Smooth, oakey and peppery, with notes of peat and just a hint of Tide Pod."
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Good lord, that's not a joke?

Lord Hobo's Boomsauce was one of the earliest NEIPAs, before they were called that, and it's still one of the better ones. So I had to try Doomsauce, their new black IPA, which is a style I haven't seen in quite some time (remember when those were all the rage?). It's a good fall beer. Will buy again.
mori

Post by mori »

3 Floyds Brewing Zombie Dust was a beer I wanted to try for a long time but then forgot all about it recently. It is now available locally and I picked up a 6-pack. I think this was the original juicy beer before the haze craze took over like a Mongol invasion. They use that terrible Citra hop but manage to make it actually taste good. It is superior to NE IPAs because it actually has some bitterness and not too sweet and you don't get any hop burn from drinking more than a few ounces. It won't be a regular purchase for me because I prefer other flavors in beer besides orange juice.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Oktoberfest by Capital Brewing, Madison, WI. Probably the best flavored Oktoberfest I've had all year, it makes me lament for Capital's more potent Autumnal Fire or the best-of-breed Eisfyre, neither which have been available here for several years and I suspect not made anymore since I can't find them in Cheeseland either. Caramelly, malty, slightly sweet, I really like this beer, even if the 5.5% is essentially nerfing the aforementioned beers.
Black Lives Matter
mori

Post by mori »

Jeff V wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:38 pm Oktoberfest by Capital Brewing, Madison, WI. Probably the best flavored Oktoberfest I've had all year, it makes me lament for Capital's more potent Autumnal Fire or the best-of-breed Eisfyre, neither which have been available here for several years and I suspect not made anymore since I can't find them in Cheeseland either. Caramelly, malty, slightly sweet, I really like this beer, even if the 5.5% is essentially nerfing the aforementioned beers.
According to their website Autumnal Fire is still brewed and bottled. It has been years since I have seen it as well. But we don't get their stuff on the good side of the river anymore.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I'm going to the Dells next week and will be passing through Madison. While I didn't stop in any Madison stores last year, booze barns with an otherwise decent craft selection in the Dells did not have Autumnal Fire. Not sure if I'll have a chance to seek it out this time though...wife is on an abstinence campaign for some reason. Also don't know why they aren't distributing through Binny's anymore. Binny's used to have feature stacks of the stuff. I think when they switched from 6 to 4 packs and charged more for it, the volumes sold must have dropped precipitously.

Anyway, she's sleeping now in advance of her night shift tonight, so...Oktoberfest by Crystal Lake Brewing, Crystal Lake, IL. The description claims a "slight herbal hop note," if that herb is cold rolled steel, then I agree. You don't often get canned beers that taste like can these days, but Crystal Lake nailed it. Maybe more booze would have covered it, at 5.7% ABV, it's going to wear it's flaws on it's pull tab.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Hazy is Lazy American IPA by Haymarket Brewing, Bridgeman, MI. I drove past this brewery on vacation this summer but didn't get to stop in. Found this one in the Binny's DYO six-pack rack and gave it a go. It's a decent representation of it's ilk, not overly fruity, so the yeast is a little more forefront giving the beer somewhat of a fuzzy feel. 6.6% ABV is also middling. Not a bad effort, not one I would seek out, but I'd like to try some of this brewery's other offerings.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Autumn Ale by Breckenridge Brewing, Colorado. Fool me twice, shame on me. I apparently forgotten how much I detested this beer when I picked up 6 at close out for like $5 4-5 years ago. This time at least it was only a single bottle.

Did you ever badly burn something where you ended up with black carbon bonded to the bottom of the pot or pan and after soaking, the water turned pitch black but the carbon was still there? That water is this beer. it's the blackest black you can imagine, and just tastes of burnt water. It really needs a less deceptive name -- Autumn evokes visions of amber or brown, not mud black. the 7.0% ABV is not enough to rescue this beverage.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Oktoberfest Beer by Bell's Brewery, Comstock, MI. Bell's is typically a solid, if unspectacular, brewery and this effort is no exception. A flavorful Marzen, it only lacks in the booze factor, clocking in at 5.5%. Happy I tried it, even happier I didn't invest in more than a bottle of it.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Tangled Roots Oktoberfest, Ottawa, IL. I'm pretty sure I had this when we went to their brew-pub a year ago. I was unimpressed with the beers I had then and remain so now. Last night though a local pizza joint had it on tap and there was a 3 beer wait time for the carry-out pizzas I ordered in what was a fund-raising event for the kid's school's PTO. The bartender there knows I like interesting beer, but they've drastically slowed changing their rotation in recent months. He was geeked that they got a couple of kegs of this beer though (I guess Tangled Roots also brews the house-branded beers). It was alright, nothing special but I didn't see anything else of interest so I settled for 3 of them. Hope the PTO enjoys my contribution (our family of 4 is not united when it comes to pizza...so 3 different pizzas ordered and the final check was $80).
Black Lives Matter
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Did you happen to find any Autumnal Fire? They do still make it but it's pretty limited. It is one of my favorite beers.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:51 pm Did you happen to find any Autumnal Fire? They do still make it but it's pretty limited. It is one of my favorite beers.
I have not. I'm going to be in Wisconsin this week and if I have the opportunity to seek it out, I will. We'll be passing through Madison but the schedule doesn't allow for a beer-run detour (on the way up, we'll be in hurry to get there, on the way home we'll be racing the clock to get my son to school in time).
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Crazy Fingers APA by Wild Onion Brewery, Lake Barrington, IL. Mosaic is not my favorite hop and I find it objectionable in prodigious amounts, but this APA has just the right touch, resulting in a pleasant beer. It was a good choice after yard work on a warm fall day. The only downer is the 5.4% ABV, so now I'm off to look for something more substantial.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Chasin' Freshies Fresh Hop IPA by Deschutes Brewery, Bend, OR. We're coming up on fresh hop season, and Deschutes is often on sale so this combo was a no-brainer. The Simcoe hops do not slap you in the face, but lay down a grassy foundation to a tasty beer. Do you know what would make it better though? More booze. At a mere 6.0% ABV, it's going to get kicked to the curb soon once another seasonal fresh hop, Sierra's Celebration Ale, hits the market.
Black Lives Matter
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:06 pm We'll be passing through Madison but the schedule doesn't allow for a beer-run detour (on the way up, we'll be in hurry to get there, on the way home we'll be racing the clock to get my son to school in time).
It takes 15 minutes. What is wrong with you? Also go to the Grumpy Troll. Do NOT skip it. Great food and beer. You'll be doing yourself a disservice if you don't stop.

Drinking: Lagunitas A little Sumpin SUmpin. Good stuff. Not as good as A Little Sumpin Extra but still great.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
mori

Post by mori »

Lagunitas Born Yesterday is a fresh hop ale that is tasting damn good. Albeit not as good as the last couple of years. Must of been a down year in the West Coast hop year. Had a wet hop beer yesterday brewed with locally MN grown hops that was not good at all. Despite last years stellar effort.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Today was my packy's fall craft beer tasting -- 19 tables and 100+ brews. It was also the day of our yard sale. I exchanged the proceeds of said sale for $150 worth of mostly local IPAs that won't interest anybody because they're local, as well as a couple of outstanding porters and a red ale, because winter is coming.

These tastings are always mobbed (because free beer), so it's rare to find oneself standing before a table with nobody else around, and yet that happened to me as I was shuffling past the Sam Adams table. The young lady there asked me if I wanted to try anything. I politely told her that I am boycotting Sams because Jim Koch gives money to the wrong politicians. She was impassive. I don't think Sams had anything I was interested in anyway, and I'm sure they'll get by fine without my business, so no feelings were hurt, but there was an awkward minute before I could shuffle on to the next table. But now, when my grandkids ask me what I did to help the resistance, I'll have a story to tell them.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

This is a partial list of the breweries represented at the tasting. Other than Clown Shoes, Harpoon, Sam Adams, and Lagunitas, how many have you heard of?

Wormtown
Castle Island
Untold
Barrel House Z
Widowmaker
Idle Hands
Aeronaut
Stormalong
Jack's Abby
Winter Hill
Harpoon
Clown Shoes
White Lion
Baxter
Anonymous
Cisco
Switchback
Samuel Adams
Coastal Craft Distributors
Atlantic Beverage Distributors
Stellwagen
Lagunitas
mori

Post by mori »

I have heard of Jack's Abbey and Cisco use to be distributed here but that went over like a lead balloon. Overpriced mediocre beer.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Not a Cisco fan, either. Whale's Tail was all the rage for, like, six months, a long time ago.

I'm partial to Wormtown, Widowmaker, and Aeronaut.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Stopped in the biggest liquor store at the Dells this morning, 600 beers, admirably all in coolers. No Autumnal Fire or even Capitol Oktoberfest.

The resort has nothing interesting so drinking Sam's Oktoberfest. First one came with a souvenir 32oz plastic pilsner glass, refills are $12 each (or the price of an on sale 12 pack).
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Went to Flight Bottle Shop today, recently opened (one month). The local business trick-or-treat gave me the opportunity to visit. This place sells most beer by the bottle/can. Unlike Binny's. which has DYO six packs at $10, but are comprised entirely of sub-$10/6 beers, this place allows you to by anything piecemeal. I wouldn't invest in one $18 4-pack, but investing in 4 singles at $18 is somehow better. I hope. Reviews of those beers will commence tomorrow; but this place has about 20 tab beers, one which I ordered today. Deth Star Chocolate Stout by Revolution Brewing, Chicago, was my choice...mostly because my son is sporting a Darth Vader costume this year. At 14.2% ABV, its the most sessionable beer I've had in a while. Sadly, they sell it in minute 10 oz tulips that are prohibitively expensive for a drinking binge. The beer itself had a nice flavor, though...i would certainly repeat.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Hop Cycle Hazy DIPA by Short Fuse Brewing, Schiller Park, IL. A combination of 3 different fruity hops gives it kind of a melon punch flavor. 8.6% ABV in a pounder can is a nice start to football Sunday.
Black Lives Matter