Fundraising for 2020/2021: Currently at $1580. Fundraising has begun, see the global post for options. Paypal Donation Links US dollars CDN Dollars

Whatcha drinking?

Everything else!

Moderators: EvilHomer3k, Bakhtosh

Jeff V

Re: Whatcha drinking?

Post by Jeff V »

My biggest problem with light beers is that, aside from Guinness, they are flavor-free. You can go lighter with just water; water with calories truly is the definition of "empty calories." Just trying to stay health-conscious. :D

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Jeff V wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:00 pm
My biggest problem with light beers is that, aside from Guinness, they are flavor-free. You can go lighter with just water; water with calories truly is the definition of "empty calories." Just trying to stay health-conscious. :D
I would ask if you've tried any of the beers on that list, but I'm pretty sure your answer would be no.
Hodor.

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

whoa. Is guiness low cal?
:shock: :D

edit:
125 cals, didn't know that.
Last edited by Unagi on Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Unagi wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:21 am
Sure is:
Time Magazine A 12-ounce serving of Guinness sets you back 125 calories—just 15 more than the same serving of Bud Light. Alcohol is beer’s main calorie source, and since Guinness is just 4.2% ABV, it’s relatively low in calories.

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

pr0ner wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:21 am
I would ask if you've tried any of the beers on that list, but I'm pretty sure your answer would be no.
And you would, of course, be wrong. The only one I haven't had is Fly Jack.

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Jeff V wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:37 am
Unagi wrote:
Sure is:
Time Magazine A 12-ounce serving of Guinness sets you back 125 calories—just 15 more than the same serving of Bud Light. Alcohol is beer’s main calorie source, and since Guinness is just 4.2% ABV, it’s relatively low in calories.
Of course, it's the carbs that are killing me.

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Jeff V wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:39 am
pr0ner wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:21 am
And you would, of course, be wrong. The only one I haven't had is Fly Jack.
You have a weird definition of "flavor free" then.
Hodor.

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Unagi wrote:

edit:
Low alcohol as well, seems backward from what we all thought originally. I remember when my friends drank Coors Light and I drank Guinness in bars and they all thought I was drinking way more alcohol.

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Scuzz wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:30 pm
Unagi wrote:

edit:
Low alcohol as well, seems backward from what we all thought originally. I remember when my friends drank Coors Light and I drank Guinness in bars and they all thought I was drinking way more alcohol.
I remember the old joke that drinking a can of Guinness was like eating a loaf of bread.

Definitely is easy to forget that Guinness is relatively low calorie and low ABV.
Hodor.

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

pr0ner wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:41 am
Scuzz wrote:
Unagi wrote:

edit:
I remember the old joke that drinking a can of Guinness was like eating a loaf of bread.

Definitely is easy to forget that Guinness is relatively low calorie and low ABV.
And now when compared to some of the craft stouts out there Guinness is like water.

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Scuzz wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:40 pm
pr0ner wrote:
Scuzz wrote:
Unagi wrote:

edit:

And now when compared to some of the craft stouts out there Guinness is like water.
Yep. I drank a 16.5% ABV stout this weekend!
Hodor.

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

pr0ner wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:52 pm
Scuzz wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:40 pm
pr0ner wrote:
Scuzz wrote:
Unagi wrote:

edit:

Yep. I drank a 16.5% ABV stout this weekend!
Should I call you JeffV? :lol:

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Call me when it's stout season! :D (actually, I had some Founder's Breakfast Stout the other day). 16.5% sounds like a wonderful session beer to me! How was the flavor?

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Peach Stand Rambler, O'Dells Brewery, Ft. Collins, CO. Now here is an example of a super-lite beer that I really enjoy. At 5.2% ABV, it's less booze than you have letting your peach nectar ferment in open air for a day. It's a blonde ale, light body and a bit on the fizzy side. But the flavor is nice, and it goes well with sitting on the front porch during the scorching weather we've had this month.

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Cryo IPA by O'Dells Brewing, Ft. Collins, CO. Yep, I bought an O'Dells mix pack today, but there was only 3 varieties as they managed to refrain from sneaking in some dreck from the end of their line (the third beer was their ubiquitous IPA). Cryo is a chemistry experiment, they source the hops from a company that extracts the best part of the hop then blasts it with liquid nitrogen creating a potent extract. The result in this case is a very complex, flavorful (in a fruity way) beer that clocks in at a typical 6.5% ABV. The 12-pack was on sale for $13; I think I might try to pick up one or two more.

In other news, Shiner Oktoberfest was already on the shelves. :doh:

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Jeff V wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:35 pm
Call me when it's stout season! :D (actually, I had some Founder's Breakfast Stout the other day). 16.5% sounds like a wonderful session beer to me! How was the flavor?
Banana and peanut butter mostly, while being quite boozy.
Hodor.

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Okay, this is a "Juicy Hazy" IPA with added "spice".

I did not care for it.

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

This is really good. Someone up thread mentioned it and my local store had some so I bought it and it is really good. Reminds me of a Dogfish Head IPA.

Defiant

Post by Defiant »

disarm

Post by disarm »

Stumbled across a damn good beer last night...Rare Fog by Abomination Brewing Company, North Haven CT. It's a triple dry-hopped triple IPA, loaded with galaxy, mosaic, citra, summit, and pacific jade hops. There are a lot of flavors going on, but it's super smooth, a little juicy, and goes down incredibly easy for a 10.5% IPA. I think that IPAs that strong often go down a little rough, but this is so easily drinkable that I could probably having finished off another if I had it. If you're on the east coast, keep an eye out!
*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing - The Witcher 3

Isgrimnur
Loading…

Post by Isgrimnur »

Today started off with a Deep Ellum Barrel Crusher, followed with some gin gimlets.

Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:12 pm
Today started off with a Deep Ellum Barrel Crusher, followed with some gin gimlets.
Mmm... gimlets, an underappreciated cocktail. I'm going to make one right now.