Whatcha drinking?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

mori

Re: Whatcha drinking?

Post by mori »

I had not heard that and after doing some reading up on the subject, seems like a good deal for Harpoon. They have decreasing beer sales and excess brewing capacity that Clown Shoes can fill. Curious how this will affect Mercury/Ipwich Brewing when a large chunk of their business walks away with Clown Shoes. I just hope Clown Shoes can continue to make barrel-aged stouts and barleywines.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Yeah, I don't know all the industry ins and outs but it seems like a win-win deal. Harpoon is big, but not evil-empire big. The market has left their flagship IPA behind, but their fall seasonal Flannel Friday was my go-to beer while it was available. I just wish the fall seasonals didn't disappear just as the weather finally turns autumnal.

Speaking of cold-weather beers, I drank my Night Shift Awake last night. It's a nice smooth porter with a strong roasted coffee flavor that isn't too bitter or too sweet. Quite tasty, I'd like to try it on tap. I see it has a 96 score on Ratebeer.

EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

After several years of trying to get it, my wife got me a bottle of Toppling Goliath King Sue. I love their psuedo sue. It is a wonderful piney ale. King Sue ramps up everything good about Psuedo Sue just to the point of too much until you have your second glass. It is one that needs a few sips to really appreciate. That said, they have some other IIPAs that I like better.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
mori

Post by mori »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:13 am After several years of trying to get it, my wife got me a bottle of Toppling Goliath King Sue. I love their psuedo sue. It is a wonderful piney ale. King Sue ramps up everything good about Psuedo Sue just to the point of too much until you have your second glass. It is one that needs a few sips to really appreciate. That said, they have some other IIPAs that I like better.
I am not a fan of Psuedo Sue or King Sue. I am just not a fan of Citra hops. I can tolerate that hop if it is blended in with another hop instead of being the solo act. But they do brew a lot of very special IPAs. They had an oak-aged double IPA at the taproom that was awesome but I forget the name. I never had anything like it before and it blew my mind.
mori

Post by mori »

Enlarge Image
Bent Paddle Brewing Co. from Duluth, MN brews nothing but quality beer. This one is extra special. Black ale aged in oak barrels with vanilla beans and coffee added. How I understand there process is that they add cold press coffee just before bottling instead of aging with coffee beans or adding coffee during fermentation. Keeps the coffee flavors bright, fruity, and fresh. Definitely not a bottle to let sit around and let that coffee flavor fade away. They do not use the terms black IPA, porter, or stout to describe their various dark beer. I would describe this particular beer as a hoppy imperial porter (11.2% ABV) as it lacks the roasted malt qualities of a stout, and hoppiness is not at IPA levels but is definitely apparent. It is all well crafted and the result is delicious and worth the $22 a bottle. Only a breakfast/brunch beer if you are not planning on doing anything for the day.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

mori wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:50 pm Only a breakfast/brunch beer if you are not planning on doing anything for the day.
What if your plans are to drink a six pack of this? :think:
Black Lives Matter
mori

Post by mori »

Each bottle is 750 ml so ...
disarm

Post by disarm »

I got my hands on a bottle of Sam Adams Utopias this evening. I've had the chance to try it once in the past (and posted here about it)...never expected that I'd manage to get a bottle of my own
mori

Post by mori »

Big spender.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

mori wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:41 pm Each bottle is 750 ml so ...
And your point is...? :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:37 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:28 pm I might buy that more often if it didn't cost $12.99 for a six pack.
Where? I paid $15.99! :x

I figure with pints at $7 or so in the bar that's ok though.
Confirmed that this is $12.99/six pack at the FoodSmart on Armitage and Francisco. Also confirmed that it's not really worth the Three Floyd's premium to me.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

This is really good. A little heavier than most winter ales but Oh so tasty.
Black Lives Matter
mori

Post by mori »

It is beaujolais nouveau time of year. Since these are young wines are only fermented in stainless for a month or two before release, there is often great variation from year to year and even from bottle to bottle. The 2017 Duboeuf I am drinking is very fruity with low tannins. Paired it with pasta and pork bolognese.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Am I the only one drinking non alcoholic stuff?

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

No.

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

mori wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:21 pm It is beaujolais nouveau time of year. Since these are young wines are only fermented in stainless for a month or two before release, there is often great variation from year to year and even from bottle to bottle.
That's as much a problem as part of the charm. I bought this once, it was undrinkable. Never again.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:34 pm Am I the only one drinking non alcoholic stuff?
Just coffee, because my employer frowns upon drinking coffee infused beer at work.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:08 am
mori wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:21 pm It is beaujolais nouveau time of year. Since these are young wines are only fermented in stainless for a month or two before release, there is often great variation from year to year and even from bottle to bottle.
That's as much a problem as part of the charm. I bought this once, it was undrinkable. Never again.
Boo-juice is a seasonal novelty, the soda pop of wines. As mori said, sometimes they're good in a bright fruity way, and sometimes they demonstrate that wine is more than fermented grape juice.

As for me, I'm drinking as much Celebration Ale as I can afford to lay in before it disappears from the shelves. I'd also like to stock up on Troeg's Blizzard of Hops while that's available; my packie never buys enough. Picked up a 12-pack last week and I'll be surprised if there's any left by this weekend.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:08 am
There was a time when we bought beaujolais nouveau's but I can't remember when I last had one. I think part of the problem was they did vary so much, and to me they seem like they should be a warm season light wine, not a winter wine.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Dechutes Chasin' Freebies Fresh Hop IPA. I seem to recall once blasting a Deschutes beer for coming up short on pineyness. Clearly they took exception to my comments. "Featuring experimental hop #437," I suspect it also contains sap from spruce trees. This is one harsh beer...it's going to take awhile to put down the six pack I invested in.

Fortunately Target has 12 packs of Celebration, so I'm all set for Football and Turkey Day. I can't image any of the guests at the party I'm attending tomorrow getting into this. Except maybe the guy who brought over A Bretter Day a few months ago.
Black Lives Matter
mori

Post by mori »

Enlarge Image
A collaboration between Evil Twin Brewing and Jackie O's Brewing. A stout that was described either as the hottest beer a person has drank, or its not too bad. I am in the not too bad as far as heat level is concerned. I would just call this an average Mexican Chocolate stout. Stone Xocoveza is far superior.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Been too broke to drink for a while.

Enlarge Image
A colleague recommended this a while back. They were wrong.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Sudy wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:46 pm They were wrong.
A few years ago, Guinness was in the booze barns here giving samples of this plus etched glasses. After a sample, I'm glad I never had to invest in a full bottle poor can. The free glass was nice though. I got it engraved for my son, who was 2.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Their black lager is also substandard compared to the local Shiner offering. Of course, not everyone has heard the good word out of Texas, so...
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:48 pm Of course, not everyone has heard the good word out of Texas, so...
Or maybe we just continue to be unimpressed. Their Oktoberfest was the worst of this year's lot among those I tried. Whenever I have a Shiner beer, I suspect they are dumping last year's stock on their out-of-Texas markets.
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Respected local brewer's big, big Imperial IPA: Manayunk Brewing Company's Big Hoppa.

Enlarge Image

I don't believe I've ever had a 9% beer before, but that's this. There's definitely an alcohol sharpness present, but the hoppiness and beery bitterness are foremost.

Dangerously good strong beer.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Oktoberfest is not their strength. I've even passed on buying their bock, which is better than the swill that AB tries to pass off in Texas, but the black lager is their best offering I've had to date, and one I routinely consume.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Holman wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:28 pm I don't believe I've ever had a 9% beer before, but that's this.
Most so-called "session" beers are that low or lower. Great for parties or other occasions where you're feeling compelled to drink for hours on end. There's no shame in drinking such low alcohol needs, unless you're talking Bud light or Coors light or similar dreck.
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:42 pm
Holman wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:28 pm I don't believe I've ever had a 9% beer before, but that's this.
Most so-called "session" beers are that low or lower. Great for parties or other occasions where you're feeling compelled to drink for hours on end. There's no shame in drinking such low alcohol needs, unless you're talking Bud light or Coors light or similar dreck.
You are a funny thing!
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

:lol:
FTR, the booziest beer I've had is Eggenbacher Urbach 23...that's 23% ABV or the equivalent of schnapps.
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

In reality the Guiness Blonde wasn't gross, but I really didn't care for it. No bitterness to balance out the maltiness (which I know at one time I didn't appreciate). So you're just left with this overly sweet beer. Still quite a bit better than random macro swill, but no, I didn't enjoy it.

Enlarge Image
This is delicious... I presume it's seasonal due to its presence on the clearance rack. I sure hope it's coming back next year....

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Lord Hobo's [url=https://lordhobobrewing.com/beer/consolation-prize/[/url] consoles me. In fact, [heresy] I like it better than Boom Sauce. [/heresy]. As an eminently quaffable DIPA, it's a good approximation of the perfect beer. I could drink way too many of these. 9.5% ABV would even get JeffV's attention.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Jeff V wrote:
Dilly, dilly!!
morlac

Post by morlac »

My sister was in town visiting us from Guatemala. She brought my Christmas present:

Ron Zacapa XO Gran Reserva Especial. (can't link at work)

Best Rum ever!
disarm

Post by disarm »

Kraken wrote:Lord Hobo's [url=https://lordhobobrewing.com/beer/consolation-prize/[/url] consoles me. In fact, [heresy] I like it better than Boom Sauce. [/heresy]. As an eminently quaffable DIPA, it's a good approximation of the perfect beer. I could drink way too many of these. 9.5% ABV would even get JeffV's attention.
I agree that Consolation Prize is a great DIPA that hides its alcohol content well, and I don't think it crazy at all that you prefer it over Boom Sauce. I totally agree
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Lagunitas NightTime "Fear the Dark." This dark ale is very well balanced. I've been shying away fro dark ales of late as many taste burnt or smokey (I can't stand smoke-flavored beer) but this beer retains bright hoppiness and the malt is just right At 8.2% ABV, it's something to keep you entertained all night long. It comes in bombers, but at $5. it's priced right.
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I woke up this morning to discover a whisky advent calendar waiting for me in the living room! My wife is awesome.

Day 1: Glenfarclas 25-year
Day 2: Buffalo Trace
Day 3: Bain's Cape Mountain (South African - never heard of it before)
Day 4: an anonymous 13-year-old Irish single malt from That Boutique-y Whisky Company, an independent bottler with a dumb name
Day 5: Jim Beam Double Oak
Day 6: Kavalan (Taiwan)
Day 7: Roe & Co. blended Irish whiskey
Day 8: Cardhu 12-year
Day 9: The Naked Grouse
Day 10: Scallywag 13-year
Day 11: Ailsa Bay
Day 12: Evan Williams White Label
Day 13: The Big Strand (Islay malt from an unnamed distillery -- very light-colored, so presumably quite young)
Day 14: Mackmyra (Sweden)
Day 15: The Lost Distilleries Blend, Batch 10
Day 16: Kavalan (again)
Day 17: Talisker 10-year
Day 18: Dalmore 12-year
Day 19: Wolfburn (a young single malt from a new Highland distillery)
Day 20: Kilchoman Sanaig
Day 21: Hudson Manhattan Rye
Day 22: The Macallan 12-year
Day 23: BenRiach 10-year
Day 24: The Half-Century Blend (50 years!), Batch 2

I'll try to update this post as I work through the calendar.
Last edited by AWS260 on Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:17 am, edited 19 times in total.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

My local convenience store had a few bottles of the 2017 Goose Island Bourbon County Stout available, so I grabbed one. I think it's 1 pint plus .9oz or something like that. Cost $10.99, but at least it has a 14.7% ABV that might even cause Jeff to take notice. I have no patience for cellaring beer, so I'll probably crack this open over the weekend.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:20 pm My local convenience store had a few bottles of the 2017 Goose Island Bourbon County Stout available, so I grabbed one. I think it's 1 pint plus .9oz or something like that. Cost $10.99, but at least it has a 14.7% ABV that might even cause Jeff to take notice. I have no patience for cellaring beer, so I'll probably crack this open over the weekend.
Seems really cheap...last year, didn't Binny's have a2 bottle limit at $75 per, or was that something else? At that price you should have bought a case and invited me over for a dozen bottles whilst playing a friendly game of pinochle.
Black Lives Matter
disarm

Post by disarm »

I picked up these two this afternoon for $15 each... Bourbon County Stout and Barleywine Ale. I only got one of each though, so I'm now stuck deciding if I drink them soon, or allow them to age a bit first... Image