Whatcha drinking?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

Re: Whatcha drinking?

Post by Jeff V »

Sierra Nevada 2017 Beer Camp - Golden IPA. I get honey and floral flavors and not the "intense citrus" claimed on the label, but I found it quite drinkable. It doesn't beat the 2015 Hop Hunter, but it's better than last year's effort. 6.%% ABV means the 12 packs will go down easy on a summer afternoon.

Go West! IPA by Anchor Brewing. My favorite Maytag man hit one out of the park. Anchor goes with 4 hops in this one, and the flavor seems to transition from citrus to pine with every sip. I've not had anything with quite that effect before. Much better defined than the New Belgium 8 hop effort, that's for sure. 6.7% ABV make this a good substitute for summer lemonade.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

And now for something completely different...

Pontificator Dopplebock by Church Street Brewing, Itasca, IL. I've loved most of Church Street's offerings, and this is markedly different than their previous dopplebock. The flavor profile screams Scotch ale, with a toasty caramel sweetness. It's good, just not what I was expecting. 7.8% ABV would lift your kilt a bit, if you were wearing one.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

mori wrote:
Scuzz wrote:So we apparently have a new chain liquor store opening this weekend. Total Wine.....if the store is as good as it's ads I might be spending more of my beer and wine dollar there soon.
I try not to spend much money at Total Wine. Their business practices are not the greatest. They will open the store with outrageous low prices to get people in the store and drive the locally owned competition out of business and before long, their prices are as high as what they replaced. I do go there a couple times a year to check it out and buy a bottle or two of liquor. But 98% of my booze money goes to locally owned businesses.
We had a BevMo open not far from us a couple years ago. It didn't take long to realize the $.05 cent sale was a market ploy and rarely a bargain. I rarely go in there now unless I want something unique. My local grocery store actually has better beer prices and has begun carrying many local breweries and wineries.
Last edited by Scuzz on Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Jeff V wrote:Still, I didn't gag, at 5.5% ABV, it was a good stand in for the glass of water I likely would have had instead.
lol
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Is there anything that doesn't go with Ginger Beer? So far we've tried rum, vodka, rye, brandy, a brandy strength orange liquor, To me the best was a shot of rye, a half shot of orange liquor, the juice of one lime and fill the rest of the highball glass with ginger beer but none of them are bad. Tonight it is time to try apple brandy and balsam.
mori

Post by mori »

Jeff V wrote:Sierra Nevada 2017 Beer Camp - Golden IPA. I get honey and floral flavors and not the "intense citrus" claimed on the label, but I found it quite drinkable. It doesn't beat the 2015 Hop Hunter, but it's better than last year's effort. 6.%% ABV means the 12 packs will go down easy on a summer afternoon.

Go West! IPA by Anchor Brewing. My favorite Maytag man hit one out of the park. Anchor goes with 4 hops in this one, and the flavor seems to transition from citrus to pine with every sip. I've not had anything with quite that effect before. Much better defined than the New Belgium 8 hop effort, that's for sure. 6.7% ABV make this a good substitute for summer lemonade.
I think the ABV may be affecting you more than you think. A couple pages back your were not too keen on SN Golden IPA.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

mori wrote:
Jeff V wrote:Sierra Nevada 2017 Beer Camp - Golden IPA. I get honey and floral flavors and not the "intense citrus" claimed on the label, but I found it quite drinkable. It doesn't beat the 2015 Hop Hunter, but it's better than last year's effort. 6.%% ABV means the 12 packs will go down easy on a summer afternoon.

I think the ABV may be affecting you more than you think. A couple pages back your were not too keen on SN Golden IPA.
I didn't like it very much either. Might try it again when spring weather actually gets here, if it's still around -- it just wasn't a good winter beer. I haven't seen it for the past few weeks...I think the spring seasonals are just about over with.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Enlarge Image

Not the worst decision I've made in my life, but that doesn't mean I don't regret it....

Enlarge Image

Just fantastic... perhaps my new go-to with my other recent favourites being sold out.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Enlarge Image
Cellar aged, the complexities in this beer have continued to mingle and mature in the bottle. Legends date back to the 1800's when lumberjacks and fur traders took to the woods and encountered the mysterious culture and wildlife in the Northern region. Today, we echo our ancestors' quest and have unearthed this season's most distinct offerings. Brewed with a Belgian style in mind, this culmination of unique ingredients rests in the bottle of our Legendary Oddity brew. We invite you to Release The Legend.

Ingredients: Pure Muskoka Water, Heather Tips, Juniper Berries, Sweet Orange Peel Shavings, North American Malts, Noble Hops, Belgian Yeast and Belgian Candi Sugar.

ABV: 7.1%
Refreshing, but perhaps has a bit too much "stuff" in it. Still, I could see it being enjoyed by, say, fans of Hoegaarden.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Russian Balsam liqueur + ginger beer tastes like unsweetened Coke. It's a pretty decent mixed drink. Which is good because Balsam by itself is fairly bad.
mori

Post by mori »

Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA. I remember I really enjoyed this beer about 8 years ago when I first tried one. Dogfish Head just reentered my market after being gone for 15 years so I picked up some. It is amazing how IPAs have changed since this beer first came out. I am not saying that Dogfish Head should retire these IPAs, but perhaps consider coming out with some new ones without putting a bunch of adjuncts into their beer.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Sam Adams Rebel Juiced IPA. The last time I tried a Sam Adams juicy juice, it it was their rather harsh Rebel Grapefruit. Mango is much smoother, though, and goes well with citra hops. I can see knocking back a six on a nice summer day. Then chase it with something more robust than this 6.2% effort.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Had some of these in the last few months. Both are very good and refreshing.

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Latest one I've had was Innis & Gunn Spiced Rum Porter. With a 7.3%, I feel like I was tasting the alcohol quite a bit, the character of the rum adding to some of that. The thing with their beers is that they aren't quite as well balanced when they start getting into the higher percentage, but it was still quite tasty with spice notes. Their porters are quite thin. Wish they'd have a bit more backing to them.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
mori

Post by mori »

Lift Bridge Mango Blonde. Lift Bridge is a brewery in Stillwater, MN. I am not a fan of fruit in beer, so I am a bit shocked how much I like this. The mango flavor tastes fresh and juicy. Some brewers put mango into their IPAs and that has never worked for me, but I like it in this slightly sweet, light weight blonde ale.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Went to the world's most delicious Passover Seder last night.

Four-drink minimum!
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

mori wrote:Lift Bridge Mango Blonde. Lift Bridge is a brewery in Stillwater, MN. I am not a fan of fruit in beer, so I am a bit shocked how much I like this. The mango flavor tastes fresh and juicy. Some brewers put mango into their IPAs and that has never worked for me, but I like it in this slightly sweet, light weight blonde ale.
I've had a couple of good mango beers lately. When used in moderation, mango can blunt some of the sharp, acidic flavors in citrusy IPAs. I don't really like fruit being front and center in any beer, but as component of a complex profile that doesn't overpower the flavor of the actual beer, I'm okay with it.
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

So, last week I saw this in the store and being an amateur astronomer, I just had to pick some up. Had to. Pretty decent beer too.

PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Last night I dreamed that I was in my packie, looking for Waldo's Special Ale (the annual "420" beer from Lagunitas). They didn't have any. I saw one of my beer buddies working there so I asked him if they had any (he doesn't work there IRL, but it wasn't a big stretch to imagine that he might). "No," he said with regret, "we had some, but I wasn't quick enough." I mentioned that I'd had it on tap the night before.
"Where?"
"The Picadilly Pub."
"The Pic? They don't usually have craft beer there..."
"...right, so they probably still have it. What time do you get off work?"
"Two seconds ago. Let's go!"

When we got there I remembered that the Pic went out of business years ago, and got confused about where I'd had that Waldo's on tap. I was sad in equal parts about missing the Pic and not finding a Waldo. Then the plot changed into a standard anxiety dream about my car breaking down, and I don't remember where it went after that.

So an hour ago I was at the packie, and I remembered to look; lo and behold, they had Waldo. After dreaming about it, I obviously had to buy a 6-pack. Haven't had one yet. I'm not entirely sure that I'm awake right now.
mori

Post by mori »

Rumpy wrote:So, last week I saw this in the store and being an amateur astronomer, I just had to pick some up. Had to. Pretty decent beer too.

This brewery opened not long ago in my state. Have not had any of their beer yet but it is suppose to be good.

473ml? A pounder in metric form.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, it seems more and more astro themed breweries have been popping up in the last few years. This particular label caught my eye.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

So I tried it last Saturday and was really not impressed. It would probably be a better warm weather summer beer.
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Enlarge Image

Finally got my hands on one of these! It's good, but doesn't quite live up to my expectations.

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

A bit sweet, isn't it? I had it years ago. It was decent enough as a dessert beer, but it wasn't one of my favourites.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

So I had a sample of Grog Brown Sugar Imperial Ale from Barrelhouse Brewing on Sunday. It is an 11% Rum barrel Aged Ale. I am sure some may like this but I found it just a little too sweet.
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

That's one thing I've noticed with Rum barrel aging in general. Rum is already kind of sweet to begin with, and I think aging beer in their barrels amplifies it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Enlarge Image

I had Stillwater's Big Bunny for the first time over the weekend. I think that I mainly bought it for the weird-looking can, which contains a very nice chocolate stout. I'd gladly pick this up again, although the pink-bunny packaging makes me think that's probably a seasonal Easter release.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

My packie is not having its annual spring beer tasting because their beer manager's wife had a baby and he was out on family leave when he should have been organizing it. So I don't know what to drink this spring/summer. Guess I'll just stick with Long Trail Green Blaze IPA, which has been my go-to for the past several months now.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Rumpy wrote:A bit sweet, isn't it? I had it years ago. It was decent enough as a dessert beer, but it wasn't one of my favourites.
Its taste has faded from my memory somewhat by now, but I don't recall it being exceptionally sweet. Or, at least the kind of sweet I dislike in beer. I do remember the pronounced banana flavour which tasted like "fake candy banana", though I've heard that's because it's an emulation of the now extinct Gros Michel cultivar of banana. Though I suspect if I looked I'd see they used natural flavourings.

Enlarge Image

I expected worse given the low ratings, but as a basic brown ale this is pretty great. It's one of the better beers my local grocery delivery service carries, so I suspect it'll be my go-to in the winter when it's too cold to walk out to the LCBO. Or perhaps I'll just use the LCBO's own recently introduced delivery service to get the good stuff even my local stores don't stock.

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I'm surprised at its low rating, honestly. It's considered one of the better brown ales on the market, and legendary at that.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Maybe you Canucks get it fresher than we do. The few times I had Newcastle it was flat and muddy.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote:Maybe you Canucks get it fresher than we do. The few times I had Newcastle it was flat and muddy.
This. Entirely without character and not helped one bit by a clear bottle.
Black Lives Matter
mori

Post by mori »

EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Jeff V wrote:Sam Adams Rebel Juiced IPA. The last time I tried a Sam Adams juicy juice, it it was their rather harsh Rebel Grapefruit. Mango is much smoother, though, and goes well with citra hops. I can see knocking back a six on a nice summer day. Then chase it with something more robust than this 6.2% effort.
I am surprised by this. The grapefruit was nearly undrinkable. I think they have some decent beers, though. May give this one a try.

Kraken, I grabbed a 6 of waldo's and only a 6 a few weeks ago. I had a full cart and was going to go back in and get more. I didn't go back for a few days and it was gone. They really need to brew that stuff in larger quantities (along with A little sumpin' extra).

Tonight I found a 6 pack of Resin. I still like that stuff. This years seems a lot more citrusy than what I had before. Not sure if the recipe changed or my memory.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

EvilHomer3k wrote:
Kraken, I grabbed a 6 of waldo's and only a 6 a few weeks ago. I had a full cart and was going to go back in and get more. I didn't go back for a few days and it was gone. They really need to brew that stuff in larger quantities (along with A little sumpin' extra).
I could only drink a couple of Waldos in a sitting. Enjoyed the novelty but I was glad I only bought 6. That's some powerful stuff.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout. Not the best Russian Imperial Stout I've had, but a very good one. Packs quite a punch at 9%.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Kraken wrote:
EvilHomer3k wrote:
I could only drink a couple of Waldos in a sitting. Enjoyed the novelty but I was glad I only bought 6. That's some powerful stuff.
It is 11.9% ABV, so if you're drinking more than a couple at a sitting, you're into JeffV territory. At $11.99 for a six pack around here, it was definitely good bang for the buck, and it didn't overwhelm with a strong alcohol taste, either. That said, it still tasted like just about every other Lagunitas beer out there.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
mori

Post by mori »

White Claw Hard Seltzer. One of the latest alcohol-pops to recently hit the market. The best thing I have heard about it is, "It's not bad." Hardly a ringing endorsement. But it is low carb with 110 calories, 5% ABV, and claims to be natural flavored. Alcohol is fermented from cane sugar. I grabbed the black cherry flavor. Thankfully it is not sweet like hard lemonades or teas that taste good for the first half a bottle but I am sick off before finishing 12oz. But in the end this is just an alcohol delivery device for people that do not like the taste of beer or wine. It is not refreshing and the flavor is fleeting. I will drink the 6'er but I would not buy again.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Georgia
Georgia Governor Nathan Deal just made sweeping changes to the state’s alcohol regulations official, signing Senate Bill 85 into law on Monday. The legislation allows breweries and distilleries sell directly to consumers, and it will go into effect September 1.
The bill passed both houses of the state legislature and was sent to Governor Deal’s desk in March. First introduced in the Georgia Senate in January, it updates state law to allow breweries to sell 3,000 barrels of their beer per year directly to customers. Upon Senate passage, the House took up a substitute that added language to allow local distilleries to directly sell 500 barrels of spirits per year. For off-site consumption, thirsty Georgians will be able to purchase up to a case of beer and three 750 ml bottles of liquor at a time from brewers and distillers, respectively.
It's almost as if people are the problem.