Whatcha drinking?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Sudy

Re: Whatcha drinking?

Post by Sudy »

Enlarge Image

This is quite a nice hard root beer, though I like the idea of a brewed root beer better than one that's just been blended with vodka. But Hires! I have fond memories of Hires from the late 80s and early 90s, when it was distributed alongside Pepsi products in Ontario. That was before Pepsi started distributing Mug (decent, but mediocre) and Coke Barq's (I love Barq's, but it's a not very classic cola-esque root beer).

Sadly, I can't really remember what Hires tasted like, but this is good stuff. The alcohol is fairly muted (I don't really care one way or the other).

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Saturday was a bad day in headspace. Not that I plan on making this a habit but:

I started the day with lunch at the beer club:
  • Hofbrau Delicator Dopplebock - not bad, a touch on the bitter side
  • Clown Shoes Coffee Pecan Pie Porter - nice and strong coffee flavor. I didn't notice any pecan or 'pie' flavors
  • Alesmith Double Red IPA - unremarkable
  • Shiner Black Lager *8
  • Uncle Bob's Root Beer Whiskey *2
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Pecan pie porter sounds great... too bad it was light on those flavours. I recall being underwhelmed by a local butter tart ale, as well.

Enlarge Image

Quite good (I love cream soda), though maybe a little too sweet. Definitely cane sugar though. But the kick is just a vodka additive, once again. Makes more sense just to get a good soft drink version accompanied by a shot of a spirit of your choice. Or maybe a cream soda & spiced rum cocktail? If the flavours didn't compete it would seem to be a better complement than vodka. But then, I guess the goal is soda + booze that doesn't interfere with the soda flavourings. So again, not much point in this existing.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Picked up a few singles the other day. So, last night it was Doc Perdue's Bobcat West Coast Red Ale (Odd seeing as it's actually brewed in Ontario rather than the West Coast. Maybe West Coast in style? Dunno.). Really good red ale, in fact perhaps my favourite. It's almost like a hybrid between an IPA and a red ale as there are grapefruit notes and a bit of pine, but it's there more as an accent which adds character. Would drink again.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/45701/249425/
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
mori

Post by mori »

Sudy Nym wrote:This is the metal beer I want to get my hands on.... It was always the joke I made when drinking Unibroue's La Fin du Monde anyway. :lol:

Enlarge Image
Just had this. I like it but too expensive for a low ABV beer. To me it tasted more Belgian Pale Ale than a saison.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Sampled a Talisker a couple of months back, and enjoyed it, so (after diligent research, mainly in the form of Ralfy and Aqvavitae videos) I picked this up today:

Pretty different from my usual jam, but kind of fascinating.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Ardbeg 10yo is an astonishing whisky for the price. An excellent selection.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

How potent are the Islay characteristics? I like Bunnahabhain because they are very subdued, but it's getting hard to find.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Alefroth wrote:How potent are the Islay characteristics? I like Bunnahabhain because they are very subdued, but it's getting hard to find.
Very. ;)
Make up bags of change
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

RunningMn9 wrote:
Alefroth wrote:How potent are the Islay characteristics? I like Bunnahabhain because they are very subdued, but it's getting hard to find.
Very. ;)
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

A flavamap like this one might help. Bunnahabhain is in the lower right.

Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

NIce. What I like most about Bunnahabhain is it has some brininess without the phenolic taste of some the peatier ones. I've heard that Bruichladdich can be that way. Maybe I'll give that a try.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Enlarge Image

Wonderful citrus notes, but I could have done without the added "hint of spices". The citrus alone is a little too adventurous for my more recent "after a hard day's work" tastes.

mori wrote:
Sudy Nym wrote:This is the metal beer I want to get my hands on.... It was always the joke I made when drinking Unibroue's La Fin du Monde anyway. :lol:

Enlarge Image
Just had this. I like it but too expensive for a low ABV beer. To me it tasted more Belgian Pale Ale than a saison.
Hmm that may actually suit my preferences better. (The Belgian pale part, not the high price for low ABV. :wink:) Now if only I could find the blasted thing.

Holman

Post by Holman »

"We will sell no wine before I'm wasted."
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Barnstormer Brewing Accelerated Stall Imperial IPA ( Or Double IPA). Quite good. I've been pretty impressed with these IPAs I've been getting lately.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/33583/274435/
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Word is that a new brewery with a 70-seat taproom will be opening a few miles from home this summer. I haven't been back to the Trillium taproom since my first trip because their beer is too damned expensive and I haven't trusted my car to make the five-mile sojourn. Here's hoping that Widowmaker won't charge $20 for a four-pack.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

That should make it easier to get back out to walking.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Z Corn must be full of pride and urine.

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/201 ... _of_t.html
Bell's Brewery in Comstock and Founders Brewing Company in Grand Rapids are ranked as the top two breweries in America.
Even if Bell's is more KZoo than Grand Rapids... Everything west of Jackson is next each ohter, right? KZoo, Battle Creek, Grand Rapids, even Lansing, they're all in a tight group, right?
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

LordMortis wrote:Z Corn must be full of pride and urine.

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/201 ... _of_t.html
Bell's Brewery in Comstock and Founders Brewing Company in Grand Rapids are ranked as the top two breweries in America.
Even if Bell's is more KZoo than Grand Rapids... Everything west of Jackson is next each ohter, right? KZoo, Battle Creek, Grand Rapids, even Lansing, they're all in a tight group, right?
Very proud and pissy...

I'll claim KZoo and GR being in a group but You People can keep Lansing. And Battle Creek may as well be Dixie it's so far south. Everybody there is such a hick they've got accents anyways.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Z-Corn wrote: And Battle Creek may as well be Dixie it's so far south.

That's trivia only someone west of Jackson would know.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

"Tropical IPAs" that have mango and/or pineapple notes seem to be the rage this year. I generally approve, these are easy beers to drink, and fit well with summer and summer foods. Last night I had Sierra Nevada's entry - I might like the Sam Adams version a little better, but I've only found that in their Rebel mix packs.
Black Lives Matter
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

LordMortis wrote:
Z-Corn wrote: And Battle Creek may as well be Dixie it's so far south.

That's trivia only someone west of Jackson would know.
:clap:
mori

Post by mori »

Enlarge Image
Interesting fruit infused IPA. Fits the summer months. It is not outstanding which seems to be the case with this brewery's offerings. Good but no need to purchase again.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Mori, have you had any of the other mango IPAs that seem popular this year? I've rather enjoyed those I've had so far, the mango nerfs some of the bitterness that other fruits, like grapefruit, tend to enhance. I'm going to look for some to bring to the fireworks show tomorrow and wonder how this one compares with others of its ilk. It doesn't seem like any particular brand is standing out as being substantially more delicious than others in this class.
Black Lives Matter
mori

Post by mori »

Has a nice mango sweetness in the finish, but the base IPA is just OK.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Sampled a few bourbons last night and enjoyed them all. Started with Elijah Craig Small Batch, the. Henry McKenna 10yo and finally Blanton's Single Barrel. Oh my on the Blanton's.
Make up bags of change
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Enlarge Image

Pretty good. Just the right amount of smoothness.

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jeff V wrote:Mori, have you had any of the other mango IPAs that seem popular this year? I've rather enjoyed those I've had so far, the mango nerfs some of the bitterness that other fruits, like grapefruit, tend to enhance. I'm going to look for some to bring to the fireworks show tomorrow and wonder how this one compares with others of its ilk. It doesn't seem like any particular brand is standing out as being substantially more delicious than others in this class.
I think I have had two mango IPA's. Modern Times Brewery makes one and I think Barrelhouse Brewing makes one. The Barrelhouse was good but probably one would do it for me.
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Enlarge Image

A good ale on the sweeter, smoother side.

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Oh look, a beer for me.

Not one of your better DIPAs, it has a unique smoky malt flavor after the initial burst of hops. I sometimes pick up a 4-pack when I'm near the brewery in the Berkshires but it doesn't offer much beyond "support the local beers." Not really worth the $13 price but I was feeling rich.
mori

Post by mori »

Combines a couple of OO favorites, alcohol and Breaking Bad.
Nice change of pace from beer. Not getting much lime but the agave mead is wonderful. It looks magical in the goblet as well.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Enlarge Image

A fairly basic though robust tasting brown ale.
Black Creek’s latest LCBO offering is now available! Black Creek celebrates the bicentennial of the War of 1812 with our Rifleman’s Ration (LCBO #294272). During the War of 1812, soldiers were given beer money – a penny a day in the British service – with which to purchase beer or spirits. Prior to 1800 they were given rations of beer alongside their meals. With the introduction of beer money, taverns and bars sprung up around garrisons to offer their wares to parched soldiers. Beer money continued to be part of the British military allowances until 1873 when it was rolled into daily wages. Local officials encouraged the brewing and consumption of beer and alcohol as it gave local farmers a place to sell their grains and hops. Our Rifleman’s Ration celebrates this tradition by only using ingredients grown by farmers in Ontario – making it a beer we can really call our own!
This brewery is actually on the premises of a local pioneer village. I've visited, but not since the brewery's opening. Now I have an excuse to return....

Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

mori wrote:Combines a couple of OO favorites, alcohol and Breaking Bad.
Nice change of pace from beer. Not getting much lime but the agave mead is wonderful. It looks magical in the goblet as well.

Those people at B. Nektar are doing The Lord's Work. I have never tasted anything from them that wasn't very interesting. I may not have been crazy about it all but everything I've had has been unique.

A few years ago they did a Ethiopian Harrar coffee mead that was phenomenal. After we drank the first bottle I went around town and bought every bottle I could find. I might even still have one in the cellar...
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Enlarge Image

New local brewery was sampling this at my packie yesterday. It boasts a hop called Idaho #7 that supposedly imparts fruity notes of strawberry, melon, and tropical fruit. I barely taste those at all...there's a bit of citrus up front, but mainly it's a peppery, bitter IPA that tastes more like a double or imperial than a regular ol' IPA. Bigger flavor than you would expect. Unfortunately, at $12/4-pack it's priced like a double, so IDK if I'll buy it again. There are too many better beers at that price point.

Their pale ale was also more flavorful than one expects in that style and I almost bought that instead. This brewery bears watching.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

A straightforward gose with no additives. Tasty, refreshing, and low-alcohol at just 4% makes it a good summer brew. Not the best gose I've had (that would be Lost Nation) but quite enjoyable.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Enlarge Image

I couldn't remember if I'd tried it before. I can see why it is/was so popular. Quite good.

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Enlarge Image

Henry Weinhard's Root Beer - The soft kind. A work friend generously gave me a bottle from his haul from a recent a trip to the U.S. It's good. Very good. Not good enough that I'd bring multiple cases across the border and risk smuggling accusations as he did, but that's just me. We definitely need more artisanal sodas around here... the only high quality root beer I can find without visiting a specialty shop is Virgil's.

Enlarge Image

Thought I should broaden my horizons. Wow... this is gross. Not the flavour (there's flavour?). Just the alcohol, I guess. I still can't do most spirits. Not neat. Not even with an ice cube. However I won't let it go to waste (only bought a 200ml)... it goes great in my coffee/hot chocolate combo.

AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Evil Twin's Sour Bikini might be my new summer jam (maybe on rotation with Sixpoint's Jammer).

At 3% ABV, I'm pretty sure that it's physically impossible for me to get drunk off this. Is beer for breakfast still considered uncouth?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

AWS260 wrote:Evil Twin's Sour Bikini might be my new summer jam (maybe on rotation with Sixpoint's Jammer).

At 3% ABV, I'm pretty sure that it's physically impossible for me to get drunk off this. Is beer for breakfast still considered uncouth?
Enlarge Image
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Sudy Nym wrote:Enlarge Image

I couldn't remember if I'd tried it before. I can see why it is/was so popular. Quite good.
Bottle conditioning makes such a big difference in my opinion.