Whatcha drinking?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: Whatcha drinking?

Post by Daehawk »

Im a simple man. I got this to help with my now severe kidney stone pain and the pain of missing my wife.

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Seems like a solid choice.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

mori wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:13 pm I just drank a similar beer.

Enlarge Image

But this was not aged on oak, only fermented on oak. So it kept its fresh hoppy goodness. I really enjoyed this one. Just a hint of vanilla from the oak gave it a orange cream soda flavor.
I had that not too long ago and I enjoyed it quite a bit.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

mori wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:13 pm I just drank a similar beer.

Enlarge Image

But this was not aged on oak, only fermented on oak. So it kept its fresh hoppy goodness. I really enjoyed this one. Just a hint of vanilla from the oak gave it a orange cream soda flavor.
I had that not too long ago and I enjoyed it quite a bit.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Two fisted enjoyment!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:44 am Honestly, it's very drinkable. And one bomber, at 13%, which is certainly at Jeff V levels, got me well on my way.
A whole bomber at 13% should get anyone on their way. Glad to hear it was good beer!

In other news, I drank some Hopslam on Saturday and it made me very happy.
Hodor.
mori

Post by mori »

A mead from B. Nektar Meadery named after the TV show. B. Nektar always produces interesting beverages and this is no different. Nice apple cider flavor compliments the base mead. I like it but not as much as their Tuco-Style Freakout which was an agave and lime mead.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Enlarge Image

Found some!
Hodor.
disarm

Post by disarm »

Start of spring means the latest release of one of my favorite stouts! Image
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Speaking of stouts:

You'd think that sounds good. It checks all the St Patricks Day boxes. But this beer is trying too hard. Irish cream + whiskey casks do not play nice together in a beer...just too much going on, and not harmoniously.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

disarm wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:05 pm Start of spring means the latest release of one of my favorite stouts!
Enlarge Image
Saw that at my local Buc-ee's on Monday, thought about it, and passed it up. Your recommendation may make me go back for it.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
disarm

Post by disarm »

I would definitely recommended going back, but depending on the store, you might be too late...once a year limited release, so people tend to snatch it up pretty quickly.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Kraken wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:09 am Speaking of stouts:

You'd think that sounds good. It checks all the St Patricks Day boxes. But this beer is trying too hard. Irish cream + whiskey casks do not play nice together in a beer...just too much going on, and not harmoniously.
That did sound good. I didn't think it literally meant Irish Cream though. Now it sounds gross.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

For awhile my local grocery carried several Founders beers but the only one I see there now is the session IPA. :(
Black Lives Matter
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

disarm wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:42 am I would definitely recommended going back, but depending on the store, you might be too late...once a year limited release, so people tend to snatch it up pretty quickly.
Yep, people go crazy every year when it's released. You have to buy advance tickets for $72 and pickup is one weekend March 8th through 10th.

Your $72 gets you:

What does a ticket get me?
A single ticket includes (3) 4-packs of 12oz bottles AND (1) voucher for an 8oz pour of 2019 KBS to be used in either taprooms (Grand Rapids or Detroit) until end of business day on Sunday, March 31.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Z-Corn wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:59 pm Your $72 gets you:

What does a ticket get me?
A single ticket includes (3) 4-packs of 12oz bottles AND (1) voucher for an 8oz pour of 2019 KBS to be used in either taprooms (Grand Rapids or Detroit) until end of business day on Sunday, March 31.
Sounds like a party. A 4-pack was $24 at Binny's, so it sounds like you get a free shot at the taproom (assuming you have plans to go there). If you don't need that much of it, just go a third-party outlet.

Last year, Meijer sent me an email when they planned to have it, but when I went to the store the day it was supposed to be released, there was no evidence any were ever put out. Binny's had a few pallets of it on the floor Saturday, though.
Black Lives Matter
mori

Post by mori »

re: KBS. I had a pour at a local bar this last weekend. It is good fresh. But let it sit around and let the coffee fade, it becomes very sweet and unbalanced. I passed on buying any from the store. It hangs around these parts now where it was almost impossible to get a few years ago. Before that it was relatively easy to get. A real ebb and flow of popularity.
disarm

Post by disarm »

mori wrote:re: KBS. I had a pour at a local bar this last weekend. It is good fresh. But let it sit around and let the coffee fade, it becomes very sweet and unbalanced.
I'll agree with this. The flavor definitely changes over time, with the sweet chocolate taking over for coffee. I've had it ranging from fresh draft, to a bottle that's aged for a year, and I definitely prefer the fresher flavor profile. I've also found that my enjoyment is temperature dependent as well. Drink it too cold, and you miss a lot of what makes it a great beer...chocolate and coffee give way to sweetness and booze. When it's less cold, you get a much more balanced beer that hides its 12% ABV pretty well.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Part of a 12 pack from Shiner that also contains Morello Dark Cherry black lager and Candied Pecan Porter.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

mori wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:24 pm re: KBS. I had a pour at a local bar this last weekend. It is good fresh. But let it sit around and let the coffee fade, it becomes very sweet and unbalanced. I passed on buying any from the store. It hangs around these parts now where it was almost impossible to get a few years ago. Before that it was relatively easy to get. A real ebb and flow of popularity.
Part of the reason it's easier to get is that so many other breweries are doing the imperial coffee chocolate barrel aged stout. Many of them at least as good as Founders. Hopslam is no different lots of places doing very similar beer so it's not hard to find any more (in season anyway).

My local grocery store, on top of having both hopslam and KBS found a couple of 4 packs of King Sue from Toppling Goliath. I got some when it first came out this year and they must have had some stashed away somewhere because they've been out for a long time. Squee! :dance:
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Bought this instead of the zinfandel accidentally. It's still good. I like cabs.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Moving on...

Enlarge Image
disarm

Post by disarm »

Tonight...another great IPA from The Alchemist Image
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

disarm wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:05 pm Start of spring means the latest release of one of my favorite stouts!
Speaking of Founders, I have a CBS I've yet to try. They're dang expensive here at $8 a small bottle. I think my favourite Founders is the Backwoods Bastard.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Rumpy wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:54 am
Speaking of Founders, I have a CBS I've yet to try. They're dang expensive here at $8 a small bottle. I think my favourite Founders is the Backwoods Bastard.
I have a Backwoods Bastard T-shirt. It looks like dbt1949.
mori

Post by mori »

Backwoods Bastard is my favorite Founders beer as well. CBS is very overrated IMHO.
mori

Post by mori »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:26 pm
mori wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:24 pm re: KBS. I had a pour at a local bar this last weekend. It is good fresh. But let it sit around and let the coffee fade, it becomes very sweet and unbalanced. I passed on buying any from the store. It hangs around these parts now where it was almost impossible to get a few years ago. Before that it was relatively easy to get. A real ebb and flow of popularity.
Part of the reason it's easier to get is that so many other breweries are doing the imperial coffee chocolate barrel aged stout. Many of them at least as good as Founders. Hopslam is no different lots of places doing very similar beer so it's not hard to find any more (in season anyway).

My local grocery store, on top of having both hopslam and KBS found a couple of 4 packs of King Sue from Toppling Goliath. I got some when it first came out this year and they must have had some stashed away somewhere because they've been out for a long time. Squee! :dance:
I think there was a fresh batch of King Sue released a couple weeks ago. Stores around here at it back on the shelves recently.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Kraken wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:22 am
I have a Backwoods Bastard T-shirt. It looks like dbt1949.
Heh, he does bear a resemblence. Maybe he should offer to become their official spokesman :D
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
disarm

Post by disarm »

Rumpy wrote:
I had CBS on draft a couple weeks ago. It seemed like a sweeter version of KBS to me...solid, but not nearly as good as the KBS from which it's derived. I thought the sweet was just a little too much.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

How could anyone not buy that? Stranger Than Fiction is a pretty good porter, but it doesn't knock Mayflower off its perch.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Octosloth? Slothopus? Drazzil? Which is it, man?!
Black Lives Matter
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

So in addition to PG Tips for awesome tea and Bigelow Lemon Ginger(my water substitute), I'm thinking about throwing a cheap Argentinean high altitude Malbec https://www.reversewinesnob.com/norton-coleccion-malbec into the mix. Supposedly something about needing no pesticides at altitudes and extreme UV exposure at altitude leading to 10x the antioxidants in the grapes. :think: Yada, yada, yada, California wines all having traces of "Round Up" in them. :o
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Interesting article. As a Canadian in Ontario, the experience has been decidedly different. For a long as I can remember, distribution was controlled by the government. Didn't matter where you went to eat, big or small, you'd always have either one of two choices; either Labatt brand or Molson brand beers. Annoying for when you want something different. I was always amazed when I'd take trips to Vermont and see how restauraunts would support craft breweries. It was almost like a different world. So, in the province we have our liquor store and a beer store. The beer store, controlled by Molson, Labatt, AnnBev and (Sanpo?), a bit like a mainstream store that would be dominated by beers from these big juggernauts. The liquor store which carries wine, beer and hard liquor would often have more of an offbeat collection, either by import or from other provinces. If you were a craft brewer, and there were few at one point, it was hard to get shelf space in the store and their rules made it only harder by being unfriendly to craft brewers. Then something changed within the 10 years or so, and the province saw an explosion of craft brewers and the government was forced to change the rules for the liquor store to make it easier on craft breweries to be featured, and with that also came the distribution of craft beers to restauraunts. So, for someone like me, whenever I hear about the juggernauts, I don't really have sympathy for them, especially when they keep buying up craft breweries and then try to pretend they're still independent. It's not that I don't have respect for the elders, but that when that's all you've had for so long, you want to see so much more, and want to see the variety celebrated. In Ontario, we still lag behind to the point that celebrated beers, sometimes even from south of the border, appear on our shelves years after the hype for them has died down.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The craft beer industry is a good argument for capitalism...but not so unfettered that all competitors can be assimilated. When I came of age the best choices were Pabst and Stroh's. Snobs brought Coors back from out west. Sam Adams came as a revelation. If Miller-Coors InBev was Facebook, we never would have tasted it.

Best beer name at today's spring tasting: Weird & Gilly. Please tell me you get the reference.
Spoiler:
Ziggy played guitar, jamming good with...
If you still don't get it, you are dead to me. (Unfortunately, the name was attached to a mediocre beer that I did not buy.)
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Before Sam Adams went national and started the American beer revolution, if you wanted something different in a beer, you needed to embrace imports. In the early 80's, Whatney's Red Barrel was my favorite and had decent distribution. My local watering hole claimed the "world's largest beer selection" -- more than 500 on any given day with a churn of 20-30 per week. There was always something new to try. When the microbrew movement started to rise, that place tried their own with mixed results -- but it became so pervasive that it was merely a sidestep to domestic beer goodness and that amplified the downside of imports that spend months in the cargo hold of a ship.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

One of my high school friends was a Danish exchange student who turned us all on to Tuborg. It wasn't especially good (competed with Heineken, IIRC), but...the Golden Beer of Danish Kings was expensive enough to have some snob appeal.

That's another huge, and largely unremarked, change in the industry: Beer is so local now that at yesterday's tasting I only half-jokingly called Mayflower, a beer from Plymouth, an import. With so many excellent homegrown craft options, I can't imagine that very many people still buy imports from Europe or Asia. Back in the day I used to like Molson Brador and Moosehead (although the latter was often skunked by the curse of the green bottle.)
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I remember Tuborg being readily available in my mid-teens and a fixture at most of our parties. We used to smuggle it into Cubs games. Foreign crap macro-brands were no better than the domestic ones back in the day.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

First up on National Beer Day home indulgence is Party Wolf from Greenbush Brewing Co., Sawyer, MI. My favorite Michigan brewery delivers another winner - good thing too since I invested in a 6 pack. Very smooth, rich flavor reminiscent of a DIPA, but at 7.5% ABV, a much lower booze factor. Still, it's better than my beloved 6.9% Star Chicken Shotgun from the same brewer, and at $9/6, I'm not complaining.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Second up: 400 Divine Rabbits Ale w/Agave Nectar by Greenbush Brewery. Didn't like this quite as much as Party Wolf, probably because I'm dealing with a legal issue and at only 6.3% ABV it's not keeping up with my anger and frustration. Flavor is good though and it'd be a good match with Mexican food.
Black Lives Matter