Whatcha drinking?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kraken

Re: Whatcha drinking?

Post by Kraken »

Jaymon wrote:Found a open case of Negra Modelo at work. its been in a drawer for at least six months, maybe longer. Have not tried one yet, took it home and put it in the fridge. Six months is a short estimate, it might be a year old, but it has been in a dark place with very little temperature change. Any guesses about its current quality? COnsider that I normally enjoy it, and often order it when I am out for dinner.
It's probably fine. I enjoy the Negra dark on tap with Mexican food, but I don't like it well enough to buy it bottled.

Tonight I'm trying some IPA I've never heard of that was on sale for $6.99/six. If it's worthwhile I'll post its name.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Meh.
Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

Shouldn't you still post its name, as a warning? :wink:
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

It's such a forgettable name: Henry Weinhard's Woodland Pass IPA. Based on the price I suspected it might be a macro in craft clothing, but nothing on the label gave that impression. It's not bad, just boring. I won't buy it again despite the $3 rebate on two already-cheap 6-packs.

(edit) I see that Henry Weinhard's (regular) IPA is brewed by Miller-Coors. No surprise there. I thought I smelled a macro.
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

In my big mug of decaf coffee I put:
2 heaping tablespoons of Ghiradelli double chocolate hot coco
1 1/2 oz Kailua
1/2 oz Cream de Cacao, 1/2 Frangelico, 1/2 Molly's Irish Cream
measurements are approximated

It's good but needs whip cream on top for some more sweetness. Was going to put about 7 chocolate chips in the bottom of the cup but wanted to start drinking sooner than later :ninja: After another "sip" there is something that is bringing the flavor down. Thinking the Cream de Cacao should be omitted and replaced with more Frangelico.
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Saratoga IPA: Not bad, well balanced. It would be a contender if they sold it in 12-packs. At 6-pack prices, though, there are better choices.
Holman

Post by Holman »

KKBlue wrote:In my big mug of decaf coffee I put:
2 heaping tablespoons of Ghiradelli double chocolate hot coco
1 1/2 oz Kailua
1/2 oz Cream de Cacao, 1/2 Frangelico, 1/2 Molly's Irish Cream
measurements are approximated
:lol:

The decaf is a nice touch.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Sabassis

Post by Sabassis »

I tried two new beers last night. Shock Top has a seasonal "End of the world wheat", made with midnight wheat, chocolate, chili, and spices. Pretty good, darker beer taste. Will enjoy the rest of the six pack i bought, probably will not buy another.

Then I had a Paulaner Hefe-Weizner. Awesome. Great tasting beer, will definitely be a staple in house. Only problem will have to stock up when i go to Binny's, because no local store seems to sell it.
DaHowie

Post by DaHowie »

Looking for opinions on Crown Royal Maple Finished. Seems to be a commercial blitz for this on ESPN. I do enjoy an occasional Grand Marnier but the sweetness can be cloying. Wondering if the new Crown is extremely sweet.
David
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

I'm not drinking the Westvleteren abbey ale we got locally. They did a raffle at 3:00 pm today. Who is off work at 3:00? So I am drinking SN celebration. My last one from last year so time to get a new batch.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

DaHowie wrote:Looking for opinions on Crown Royal Maple Finished. Seems to be a commercial blitz for this on ESPN. I do enjoy an occasional Grand Marnier but the sweetness can be cloying. Wondering if the new Crown is extremely sweet.
I don't think the Crown Royal is a liqueur, so there is no reason to think it would be anything like Grand Marnier.

Ale
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

Alefroth wrote:
DaHowie wrote:Looking for opinions on Crown Royal Maple Finished. Seems to be a commercial blitz for this on ESPN. I do enjoy an occasional Grand Marnier but the sweetness can be cloying. Wondering if the new Crown is extremely sweet.
I don't think the Crown Royal is a liqueur, so there is no reason to think it would be anything like Grand Marnier.

Ale
Haven't tried it, but other sweet whiskeys, like Spicebox and the honey JD, are sweet without being cloying or syrupy. Whiskey with some added flavour elements.

(A friend described Spicebox as "what you wished whiskey tasted like when you were a kid". And she's basically right. Hints of vanilla, and really smooth.)
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
mori

Post by mori »

Enjoyed a bottle of 2012 Nouveau Beaujolais from Georges Duboeuf. I really enjoy this cheap, red wine. About the only wine I must buy every year.
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

And, mori, what is it about this cheep wine that compels you to buy it?
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Michelob Amber Bock and Yeungling Black & Tan. think Ill stick to Amber Bock though. So tasty and smooth.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

KKBlue wrote:And, mori, what is it about this cheep wine that compels you to buy it?
I like Boo Juice, too. It's just fresh and clean, like a soda pop of wines. Nothing complex about it, just a seasonal rite of passage.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Tonight I was delighted to find Celebration Ale on tap at Smelly Bowels (or Smoky Bones, as their sign spells it). I could routinely drink myself stuperous on draft Celebration. In fact, I think I will.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Enjoyed a tasting of Stone Vertical Epic, from 2006, 2010, 2011 and 2012. Sandwiched by some Allagash Triple Reserve.

That this is posted in the same thread as someone extolling the virtues of Michelob Amber Boch pains me.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

This should be a safe thread where we can all extol the virtues of our favorite poison without fear of ridicule.

Lord knows I've been trying to keep it that way.
mori

Post by mori »

KKBlue wrote:And, mori, what is it about this cheep wine that compels you to buy it?
This "cheep" wine is not pretentious.

Go to one of the finer stores and the people will steer you away from such wines. But it is an American favorite (I think Americans drink more of this wine than anywhere in the world), and a favorite of mine.
mori

Post by mori »

Also drank Thrid Street Brewing Sugar Shack Stout. Like maple syrup in a beer. Would be great with chicken and waffles.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

St. Bernadus ABT 12 and then some SN Celebration. Both are excellent. I've been known to enjoy amber bock from time to time as well.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

RunningMn9 wrote:Enjoyed a tasting of Stone Vertical Epic, from 2006, 2010, 2011 and 2012. Sandwiched by some Allagash Triple Reserve.
How was the 12.12.12? I got a bottle of that last week and I'm looking forward to it.
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

EvilHomer3k wrote:
RunningMn9 wrote:Enjoyed a tasting of Stone Vertical Epic, from 2006, 2010, 2011 and 2012. Sandwiched by some Allagash Triple Reserve.
How was the 12.12.12? I got a bottle of that last week and I'm looking forward to it.
It was like drinking cloves. Lots and lots of cloves. The 2010 was the best out of what we had. A very cool beer experience overall.

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
Last edited by Trent Steel on Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
18-1™ & 2-0
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I agree with Trent. The 2010 was by far the best. I liked the 2011 the least (still not on board with chili peppers in my beer).

And Kraken, relax.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

RunningMn9 wrote:I agree with Trent. The 2010 was by far the best. I liked the 2011 the least (still not on board with chili peppers in my beer).

And Kraken, relax.
My bad...In my last post I thought we were in Daehawk's "explain beer" thread.
mori

Post by mori »

As far as Stone Verticle Epic, not really a fan of a beer I have to buy and age for at least a year for it to become drinkable. I just paid good money for this, and I should not drink it? Age it at the brewery before releasing it on the consumer.

I like chile in beer. Just not Stone's attempt. CIgar City out of Florida knows how to do it right.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

mori wrote:As far as Stone Verticle Epic, not really a fan of a beer I have to buy and age for at least a year for it to become drinkable. I just paid good money for this, and I should not drink it? Age it at the brewery before releasing it on the consumer.

I like chile in beer. Just not Stone's attempt. CIgar City out of Florida knows how to do it right.
Why would you want to pay the brewery to age it when you can do it yourself?

Ale
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

Alefroth wrote:
mori wrote:As far as Stone Verticle Epic, not really a fan of a beer I have to buy and age for at least a year for it to become drinkable. I just paid good money for this, and I should not drink it? Age it at the brewery before releasing it on the consumer.

Ale
Exactly. That's part of the fun. If you absolutely need to drink something the minute you walk out of the liquor store, then buy two of whatever it is you're getting so you can drink one and age the other.

As far as chili in beer, I found this to be really good. Technically, it's cayenne, but close enough.
18-1™ & 2-0
Jag

Post by Jag »

I don't drink anymore (mostly) so my first foray into this thread is to ask what I should buy my company facilities guy who went above and beyond helping outfit me for my move. Looking to spend around $20-$40 and need a man's drink. Is Johnny Walker Black still the standard drink for real men?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I once saw Trent chug like 12oz of Jameson all at once, so I'd go with that.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Jag wrote:I don't drink anymore (mostly) so my first foray into this thread is to ask what I should buy my company facilities guy who went above and beyond helping outfit me for my move. Looking to spend around $20-$40 and need a man's drink. Is Johnny Walker Black still the standard drink for real men?

Real men drink single malt :P

Seriously though, if he likes Scotch, JW Black should be fine.

Ale
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

All Johnny Walker varieties taste to me like licking a Band-Aid. Too phenolic!
Jag

Post by Jag »

Alefroth wrote:
Jag wrote:I don't drink anymore (mostly) so my first foray into this thread is to ask what I should buy my company facilities guy who went above and beyond helping outfit me for my move. Looking to spend around $20-$40 and need a man's drink. Is Johnny Walker Black still the standard drink for real men?

Ale
I don't know if he drinks scotch. He's an older guy (60s), former cop, former army.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Jag wrote:
Alefroth wrote:

Ale
I don't know if he drinks scotch. He's an older guy (60s), former cop, former army.
If you're not sure, you may be better of with a bourbon. Scotch is a bit of an acquired taste, even the blended varieties.

Ale
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Anyone try or a fan of the Whole Foods beers? We just had one open near my house, but I have yet to check them out. And maybe the beers available differ by store? Not sure:

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Those aren't actually beers brewed by Whole Foods. Looks like you have one of the Whole Foods that includes a bar that has a bunch of craft brews on tap. It's fun at first to shop with a pint in your hand, but it becomes quite cumbersome to try to select groceries, and in particular bag produce, while balancing your glass.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

ImLawBoy wrote:Those aren't actually beers brewed by Whole Foods. Looks like you have one of the Whole Foods that includes a bar that has a bunch of craft brews on tap. It's fun at first to shop with a pint in your hand, but it becomes quite cumbersome to try to select groceries, and in particular bag produce, while balancing your glass.
Ah, so. I have not yet checked out the brew bar yet, but plan to do so. Certainly can see the problem with doing other shopping whilst sipping though...I guess it's similar to their kick ass food bars....big pain unless you go there specifically to eat. Trying to tie in a meal with your shopping (and three small kids) is not a good experience (at least it wasn't for me), just due to the way they have it set up.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I still do it sometimes, usually if they have something really interesting on tap. You just have to learn the spots where you can put your beer down while you're getting something. They really need to put cupholders on the shopping carts!
That's my purse! I don't know you!
mori

Post by mori »

Alefroth wrote:

Ale
I think I explained that in my post. Besides, I am a beer drinker, not a beer collector. Sure I have beer that sits around for long periods of time before I get around to drinking them.