Whatcha drinking?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: Whatcha drinking?

Post by Isgrimnur »

Hard Rock Hurricane with dinner out for the gf's birthday while she has a pomegranate martini.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Stupid mobile access issues - Tapatalk double post.
Last edited by Isgrimnur on Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

RunningMn9 wrote:My latest nectar is Gulden Draak. It is unbelievable.

That stuff is awesome. I got it in a four-pack of Van Steenberge beers, and it was definitely the best. It came with a fun DVD of the brewmaster talking about all the beers.

Ale
Holman

Post by Holman »

I'm trying to find a local Philadelphia beer that's lovely and talented and not too pricey. (I like the idea of local.)

I think the IPA and Pale Ale from Yards might fit the bill. But I'm also going to try to well-regarded brewpub down the hill as soon as I get the chance.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I've only heard good things about Adnams stuff. They are basically a brewery in south Britain but they also make fine spirits. They have a halloween beer called Ghost Ship that I've love to try.

Enlarge Image

Been watching reviews and many agree on Adnams Absinthe as being one of the best.

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Holman

Post by Holman »

Absinthe is a gateway drug. Next you'll be wearing detachable collars, writing French Symbolist poetry, and waking up in brothels with sensitive, emaciated prostitutes.

Enjoy!
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Jeff V wrote:4 more nights remain of unsupervised beer drinking before my anti-beer wife arrives.
Uh-oh.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Creepy_Smell

Post by Creepy_Smell »

was in santa fe during weekend. took tour of santa fe brewery and had night at tasting room for friends wedding reception. lots of free tasting of their beers :) . they do ship to OK so I have drank their stuff before and enjoy their stout and porter. also tried blue corn brewery stuff and marble. coming from OK, dug the # of micro brewerys around there.
Last edited by Creepy_Smell on Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Only time I got a good sampling of beer was at Busch Gardens in Florida when we went on vacation. Of course I was only 13 and the tasting happened as I brought my dad his beer choices back to the table. that was 1982. Looking back I'm surprised they served me by me telling them Im buying them for my dad and pointing in a direction :)
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

Alefroth wrote:
Gavin wrote:
silverjon wrote:Welp, hops are bitter, so IPAs are gonna be bitter. Not much point in continuing to try them if you don't like that.

Some stouts are bitter, but not all. That's why I said "experiment" with those.
Hmm, so what contributes to the oaty taste? I've eaten hops before and I assumed it was them. If it is hops, then how do I have extremely hoppy/oaty tasting beers that I love that also aren't bitter?
Are you sure you've eaten hops? They are a green flower cone from the hop bine. They aren't really palatable on their own. Hops are the primary bittering agent in beer, and also contribute citrus/floral/spicy flavors and aromas.

If it isn't oats themselves, it's probably the malted barley giving the oaty taste.

Ale
That's what I was wondering as well. I don't believe hops are directly edible, and even with all the frou-frou fusion food happening now, I can't see these being in a dish (unless it is used as flavoring in broth,or something).
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

Alefroth wrote:If it isn't oats themselves, it's probably the malted barley giving the oaty taste.
Malt would have been my guess as well. Gavin should see if he likes himself a wee heavy.

Alefroth wrote:
That stuff is awesome. I got it in a four-pack of Van Steenberge beers, and it was definitely the best.
Now I gotta see if Sherbrooke carries this stuff.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

KKBlue wrote:Drinking water but in my mind it's a home made margarita.

Ice in a big tall glass, glass stirrer
About 1/2 organic lemonade
2oz or more of blanco/silver 100% agave tequila
Splash (1oz or 2) of triple sec
Splash (about 1oz) of limoncello
Squirt (over 2oz) of Real Lemon
Squirt (little less than 2oz) of Real Lime
Top off with lemonade if there is room

This mix has made me more friends and helped me keep friends and family I already have ;) The measurements are not exact because it will taste about the same as long as it's in the ballpark.
You make drinks with big splashes. :P Sounds good though....

This reminds me of a drink we call the Birthday Party. All measurements also approximate.

glass of ice w/ stirrer
1oz rum
1oz vodka
1oz Southern Comfort (the lime SoCo is also good)
1oz triple sec
lime juice
grenadine
fill with orange juice; successful variants include pineapple juice, ginger ale, and lemon-lime soda of some kind; feel free to mix mixers
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

A nonny mouse wrote:
Alefroth wrote:
Gavin wrote:
silverjon wrote:Welp, hops are bitter, so IPAs are gonna be bitter. Not much point in continuing to try them if you don't like that.

Some stouts are bitter, but not all. That's why I said "experiment" with those.
Hmm, so what contributes to the oaty taste? I've eaten hops before and I assumed it was them. If it is hops, then how do I have extremely hoppy/oaty tasting beers that I love that also aren't bitter?
Are you sure you've eaten hops? They are a green flower cone from the hop bine. They aren't really palatable on their own. Hops are the primary bittering agent in beer, and also contribute citrus/floral/spicy flavors and aromas.

If it isn't oats themselves, it's probably the malted barley giving the oaty taste.

Ale
That's what I was wondering as well. I don't believe hops are directly edible, and even with all the frou-frou fusion food happening now, I can't see these being in a dish (unless it is used as flavoring in broth,or something).
Hmm, I guess not. Now I'm not sure what I ate. When looking at leaf hops and pellet hops, neither look like the small dried grain looking thing I sampled from a beer making kit I never got to use.

Aha! It was a malt. My apologies. I guess I hate hoppy beers. Thanks for the lesson.
Last edited by Gavin on Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

weeeeeeeeee heavyyyyyyyyy
wot?

Grafvolluth

Post by Grafvolluth »

Alefroth wrote:

That stuff is awesome. I got it in a four-pack of Van Steenberge beers, and it was definitely the best. It came with a fun DVD of the brewmaster talking about all the beers.

Ale
A local establishment has the Gulden Draak 9000 Quadruple on tap ... fantastic!
"If you loved me, you'd all kill yourselves today."
-Spider Jerusalem
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Grafvolluth wrote:
Alefroth wrote:

Ale
A local establishment has the Gulden Draak 9000 Quadruple on tap ... fantastic!
You know, I tried the 9000, and I wasn't a huge fan. Overly fruity for my tastes. It's a shame, because I know it's a really good beer.
Hodor.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Alefroth wrote:

Ale
I finally found a place that has it in four-packs by itself and in 750 ml bottles. If you put a gun to my head I might declare it my favorite beer.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

RunningMn9 wrote:
Alefroth wrote:

Ale
I finally found a place that has it in four-packs by itself and in 750 ml bottles. If you put a gun to my head I might declare it my favorite beer.
How fruity tasting is the standard Gulden Draak?
Hodor.
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

RunningMn9 wrote:
Alefroth wrote:

Ale
I haven't had it since the Beerening this summer. I need to give it another go.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

geezer wrote:Neither my wife or I are beer people, but we keep an ample supply of the Menage a Trois red blend around - you can't beat it for about 8 bucks a bottle. We also love the (Somewhat pricier) Conundrum white blend.

Our liquor cabinet has a bunch of local stuff - Tito's vodka, Rebecca Creek whiskey etc.
This is a great wine, in Ontario it retails for around 18 a bottle and only comes in limited release.... The joys of a government run monopoly liquor board.

My go to red when ménage isn't around is cupcake. Delicious.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
No.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

pr0ner wrote:How fruity tasting is the standard Gulden Draak?
It's got a very lively taste. Keep in mind that I am an enormous hop-head. This is the only beer in my top 5 that isn't a hardcore IPA. Not as bitter as an IPA, but very flavorful in a vaguely fruity sort of way. Not having a common point of reference, it's hard to answer. :)
Make up bags of change
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

RunningMn9 wrote:
Alefroth wrote:

Ale
Now I'm craving some. Maybe this weekend I'll check the local beervana.

Ale
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

RunningMn9 wrote:
pr0ner wrote:How fruity tasting is the standard Gulden Draak?
It's got a very lively taste. Keep in mind that I am an enormous hop-head. This is the only beer in my top 5 that isn't a hardcore IPA. Not as bitter as an IPA, but very flavorful in a vaguely fruity sort of way. Not having a common point of reference, it's hard to answer. :)
Lively is a good description. Often beers of that strength are real heavy and syrupy. I find it a bit fruity also, but not in a recognizable fruit sort of way.

Ale
Sabassis

Post by Sabassis »

Well, i am currently drinking a vodkc tonic(titos is the best vodka!), and i was drinking malibu rum and coke earlier. When my wife got home, we heated up some sake! We love drinking hot sake together. Very smooth, gets you buzzed fast, and no hangover. Our favorite is made in Japan, called "Pure". We have to go to a Japanese marketplace to buy it, and we buy it by the case because scared they will never get it again!!

However, this seems to be a beer thread. I love Wheat beer!! My favorite Is Blue Moon. I also like, Shock Top and Hoegarden. And im confident in my masculnity to say i like Bud Lite Lime too! And I will also admit, after watching the commercials, i tried Dos XX's, and really like it too!

Earlier in the thread someone mentioned Two Brothers. I live near the brewery, and have it on my wish list to visit too. I love their Ebel Weiss.

That reminds me, I love Agave Wheat too, from Colorado. If its a micorbrewery, i will try it.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'm back on Wachusett Octoberfest tonight. It's the only october I really like. A lot. I've got a couple of 12-packs left, and after they're gone I'll probably transition into winter beers based on this Saturday's big tasting.

As far as wine goes, Ravenswood Zinfandel sets the standard for me. It's complex, it's peppery, and it's $8 a bottle. A recent find, Plungerhead zin, is just as good. I like my reds spicy and bold, but not too tannic. Plungerhead has those qualities with a strong berry taste thrown in.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Currently St-Ambroise Great Pumpkin Ale. Good stuff.

Oh, I also dislike hoppy beers. Our liquor store has a lot of IPAs in stock, and sometimes they're not always obvious what they are and I sometimes run into a very bitter beer, which I can't stand.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

Drinkin' two Pumpkin Ales recently:

PumpKing and Fegley's Devious

Name the 3 branches of the US Government: "Judicial, legislative....I can twerk"
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

There are four IPA's in my fridge that are going to waste. Way too bitter.

Tonight I'm going to a local pub that has a microbrewery. They also have my favorite belgians on tap so I should have something to report.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Here's a drinking thread question: How long does beer stay good?

I have a case of Dogfish dated 6/16/2012. (I haven't had it that long, but apparently it sat it sat in the beer warehouse for a while.) I'm kind of kicking myself for not checking the date before I bought it.

Anyway, I've had one of these beers and it seemed like any other Dogfish. My question is how long beer lasts.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Holman wrote:Here's a drinking thread question: How long does beer stay good?

I have a case of Dogfish dated 6/16/2012. (I haven't had it that long, but apparently it sat it sat in the beer warehouse for a while.) I'm kind of kicking myself for not checking the date before I bought it.

Anyway, I've had one of these beers and it seemed like any other Dogfish. My question is how long beer lasts.
Some beers can be reliably "aged" for years.

For others, it depends on how it's made and what kind of bottle it's put in. Beer in a dark brown bottle will last a lot longer than beer in a clear bottle.
Hodor.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Holman wrote:Here's a drinking thread question: How long does beer stay good?
I'm not entirely sure, It's no longer good once it reaches somewhere just past the throat I think.

I don't think even very old beer is dangerous to consume thanks to the alcohol in it. Don't quote me on that, but I've never heard of old beer poisoning.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Breweries generally put a 1-year expiration date on their beers on the assumption that it isn't being kept in ideal conditions (away from heat and light). Most beer is best when fresh. But like pr0ner said, some unpasteurized beers can actually improve with age as they continue to ferment in the bottle.

My packie's fall tasting starts in 2 hours. Whee! Out of 100 offerings, I'll reject maybe a third as styles or brands that I know I don't like (belgians, adulterated beers, light lagers, etc) and another third as brews that I'm already well-acquainted with. That still leaves somewhere around 30-40 beers to evaluate. I expect to come home with a weird assortment of 6-packs and bombers.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Holman wrote:I have a case of Dogfish dated 6/16/2012. (I haven't had it that long, but apparently it sat it sat in the beer warehouse for a while.)
I certainly wouldn't worry about that unless you've been storing it in the sun. I have a few bottles of the DFH 120 Minute IPA in storage that they recommend can be aged up to 10 years. It would never last that long in my house, but there you go. :)
Make up bags of change
Holman

Post by Holman »

I am reassured about my beer!

I've been told that a "skunked" beer is the worst thing you can taste. I've never had the experience. I've tasted some pretty awful stuff, but it was just cheap.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I made Trent drink some Coors Light that had been sitting on my deck through two winters and a summer. He didn't die (although it might explain why he tries to kill me every time he gets drunk).

If you store it in a cool, dark place, it isn't going to skunk for a long time.
Make up bags of change
mori

Post by mori »

Spent the last week on the road for work. My off time was all about beer drinking which is unusual because when I am traveling on a business account I generally drink some local spirits just to expand my horizons. But the places I went did not really have much in that department. On my trip to my destination I stopped at a tiny brewery in Decorah, IA called Toppling Goliath. They are gaining some notoriety by brewing awesome pale ales featuring a single hop variety. Left with a growler of beer for my next destination. Monday night I was at Rock Island Brewing Company to deliver my Toppling Goliath growler and several cans of Minnesota beer. With my new friends we tried many new beers with everyone raiding their personal cellars for sharing. One I really liked was Black Metal Stout from Jester King Brewery out of Texas. Tuesday was spent drinking Weihenstephener Festbier at a local German eatery. Wednesday was at Bent River Brewery which had OK beer but just horrible service. The bartenders were too busy at the other end of the bar doing shots with their friends to attend to their customers. Thursday was spent at the steak house next to the hotel drinking Sam Adams Boston Lager. Heading out on Friday I stopped at a couple of stores to pick up some beer that I cannot get in Minnesota such as Lost Abbey, Schafly, Empyrean, and O'Fallon. Also made a stop in Iowa City at John's Grocery which is an old fashioned neighborhood market that also has an outlandish beer selection. The building is ancient by midwest standards and you have to search every nook and cranny to see if you are missing anything. They even had a dumbwaiter in use bringing beer and wine up from the cellar. You are shopping next to an 80 year old woman who had probably shopped there her entire life along with a 300lb offensive lineman from the Iowa football team. Finally made it home Friday night with about a dozen new beers to try. One of the first I tried is one I got from my new friends from Rock Island is a can of Heady-Topper from The Alchemist in Vermont. Just a wonderful beer if you like hops.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I drank some Billy Beer in the 80's. But i think that came bad from the factory.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Holman wrote:I am reassured about my beer!

I've been told that a "skunked" beer is the worst thing you can taste. I've never had the experience. I've tasted some pretty awful stuff, but it was just cheap.
I've had some french beers that tasted that way. It tastes like a skunk smells. It isn't dangerous at least, just awful.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I hope Kraken comes home and posts tonight after evaluating 30-40 beers.
mori

Post by mori »

Gavin wrote:
Holman wrote:I am reassured about my beer!

I've had some french beers that tasted that way. It tastes like a skunk smells. It isn't dangerous at least, just awful.
If it comes in a clear or green bottle, chances are that it is "skunked". Never, ever buy any beer in a clear or green bottle. You are buying marketing and not beer because the brewers know better.