Whatcha drinking?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Holman

Re: Whatcha drinking?

Post by Holman »

Yeah, I posted my experience with KBS a year or so ago.

I could tell it was a very well-crafted Stout, with lots of complex flavor. I'm not a Stout-lover, however, and it still wasn't enough of an eye-opener to convert me.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
mori

Post by mori »

Another nice barrel-aged stout from Clown Shoes. Surprising amount of alcohol heat and flavor for a beer with a mere 10.5% ABV. Other than that a nice drinker watching the World Cup.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

For the past year or two Long Trail's Green Blaze has been my go-to IPA, mainly because it's the best in its price class ($14 12-packs). A few weeks ago I ordered a Long Trail IPA at a restaurant and was surprised that it wasn't Green Blaze. Turns out that they have another one called "VT IPA" now. Hazy and juicy, as is the rage these days, this might appeal to drinkers who don't like NEIPAs. It starts with a traditional IPA bitterness and finishes with the fruit. I like it better than Green Blaze, so VT IPA is my new everyday beer.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Enlarge Image

I saw "smoke" and got scared, but there was no need.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
disarm

Post by disarm »

What's Raftman like? I thought I'd tried just about everything from Unibroue, but I've never seen that one. I usually enjoy their offerings because of they bring something different and interesting.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I liked it. Got it in a sampler box. I saw the word "smoke" and got scared thinking rauchbier, but after taking a sip I looked it up and realized it's meant to be a subtle whisky smokiness. Mind you, I don't drink whisky. But it's a very enjoyable and subdued spicy/malty Belgian style pale with just a hint of smoke. Maybe even a bit weak for my tastes.

Note I'd had this at the back of my fridge since Christmas though, so it may have lost something.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
mori

Post by mori »

Cigar City Brewing Invasion Tropical Pale Ale is a 5.0% ABV pale ale that has flavors of citrus peel and tropical fruit. It is a nice drinker but I do not feel compelled to buy this again.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

My daughter bought me a couple beers to try....

This was pretty flavorful for a pale ale. A great summer beer. Did I mention it was 103 here Saturday.

This was also very good. I haven't had anything by New Belgium in a while, but this was good.
Black Lives Matter
mori

Post by mori »

Junkyard Brewing Wicked Awesome Slurry, Moorhead, MN. With a beer name like that I do not need to tell you what style this beer is. Too sweet and fruity for my tastes. A little bitterness in the finish is the only thing that would tell a person this is a beer and not just fruit juice, and the 8% ABV. I am starting to see more push back against beers like these and hopefully the juicy, not hoppy bitter trend is slowing, at least in my area. So we can get back to drinking proper IPAs again.
mori

Post by mori »

Not a fan of this one. Tastes a bit of dry white wine. Very little bourbon or barrel character and not enough stout flavor.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I like wheat beers. I like lemon flavor. I do not like this beer.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:27 pm
I like wheat beers. I like lemon flavor. I do not like this beer.
Adding fruit flavor (as opposed to fruit itself) is never good. With weiss beer, floating a lemon slice on top is proper. Squeezings from a plastic lemon is not (Leine Summer Shanty tastes exactly that).
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Hop Henge Imperial IPA by Deschutes Brewery, Bend, OR. Deschutes has always been inconsistent, but damn, this is a tasty beer. It has the rich bitterness of a triple or imperial IPA (90 IBU) but at just 8.3% ABV it's more like a cousin to the imperial family rather than the emperor himself. $9.50/6 is a good price for this one.
Black Lives Matter
mori

Post by mori »

Dare Mighty Things- The Brewing Projekt, Eau Claire, WI. One from a brewery riding the hype train of NE style IPAs. This one thankfully is not too sweet and tastes like it was properly fermented. Good hop flavor that has nice dank herbal tones to counter the citrus juice flavors. One of the better ones of this style.

Loonidragon 2018- Clown Shoes, Boston, MA. A Russian Imperial Stout aged in bourbon barrels with coconut. They did not go crazy with the coconut like many brewers are guilty of but not enough of the bourbon barrel for my tastes. A little too much alcohol heat and flavor for the 12.5% ABV.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

NEIPAs have been Lord Hobo's thing since before they were called that. Boom Sauce and Consolation Prize are both very good beers, if too expensive for me to buy very often. So when I saw this new DIPA on the shelf between those two, I had to give it a try...even though they hadn't marked a price on the shelf yet. How spendy could it be?

$16.99 for four pints, that's how. Yikes. At that price it had better be one of the best beers in the world. I'm not prepared to go that far after having had just one so far, but it is really quite delicious. The first thing that hit my nose when I cracked the can was bready yeast. The taste leads with the pineapple/mango juicy fruit that you expect and ends with a dank piney note. That pretty much describes Consolation Prize, too, but what distinguishes Virtuoso is its silky, smooth mouthfeel that disguises the 8.8% ABV. Will definitely buy this again...just not bloody often for $17.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Peak's Ginger Saison.

This tastes like watered-down ginger ale.

Not buying again.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I've really been enjoying this over the last month or so. I hope I can find more when it's gone. Talisker isn't something I'd normally reach for, but this expression as really grown on me.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Evil Twin Brewing's Nasty Trunks. Described as a dry-hopped sour ale, and tastes exactly as described. Very good.
disarm

Post by disarm »

I'm sitting outside at Treehouse Brewing right now, enjoying a fresh Double Typhoon on a beautiful sunny day! Image
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

That sure looks nice. Sadly we are that time of year when sitting outside with a cold one can only be done in the freakin dark because of how hot it is. :doh:
Black Lives Matter
disarm

Post by disarm »

It's been really hot here in CT/MA for the last couple weeks, but today was an amazing break from the heat...75 and a nice breeze the whole time I was there. I stayed long enough to enjoy two beers (Super Typhoon and Super Sap), and they started serving free pizza just before I left.

Treehouse makes fantastic beer, but they also have a really cool thing going at the brewery. Show up to buy beer, and they have a great outdoor space to just hang out for a bit when the weather is nice. It only took me about 15 minutes to get through the can purchase line, but I then spent about an hour just sitting outside with a fresh draft beer, enjoying the sunshine
Holman

Post by Holman »

So it's a... beer country club?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'm going out to Lenox in a couple of weeks, but I take Rte 2 and drop down on 7 from Williamstown -- it's an hour out of the way but a really pleasant drive in the Miata. If Charlton was Charlemont I'd be all set. Maybe I'll take the Pike home....
disarm

Post by disarm »

I'm lucky enough that Treehouse is only about 20 minutes away from my house...dont go often, but it's a quick trip when I need to restock
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Founders Backwoods Bastard. Oh and last weekend I had a Founders KBS for the first time. Both are excellent.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I just bought a 4-pack of Founder's KBS for the first time. Despite driving by the brewery twice a day going to and from work I've never even tasted it.

$24 freaking dollars for a 4-pack! There better be a $10 bill in one of the bottles...
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

disarm wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:18 pm It's been really hot here in CT/MA for the last couple weeks, but today was an amazing break from the heat...75 and a nice breeze the whole time I was there. I stayed long enough to enjoy two beers (Super Typhoon and Super Sap), and they started serving free pizza just before I left.

Treehouse makes fantastic beer, but they also have a really cool thing going at the brewery. Show up to buy beer, and they have a great outdoor space to just hang out for a bit when the weather is nice. It only took me about 15 minutes to get through the can purchase line, but I then spent about an hour just sitting outside with a fresh draft beer, enjoying the sunshine
Barrelhouse Brewing in Paso Robles (California) has an outdoor facility like that. They even have two different areas with stages. You can buy a beer and sit outside by a waterfall and really enjoy the day.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Martin House Brewing Company in Fort Worth hosts concerts at their brewery. Guess who played when they launched Bockslider.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

The Guess Who.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:naughty:
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Bell's begins distributing to Colorado come fall. No more Jeff V emergency cooler/Double Reverse Smokey And The Bandit remakes necessary!
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
mori

Post by mori »

Founders Barrel Runner is an Imperial IPA aged in rum barrels. Interesting but not a successful experiment IMO. Neither IPA or barrel-aged enough to warrant the price. Packs 11% ABV so it does not take much to make one believe they are a bootlegger.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Make America Juicy Again by Heretic Brewery, Fairfield, CA. A New England-style hazy IPA, it is a thoroughly unremarkable effort. The beer is hazy enough, 6.5% is an average booze factor, but the flavors are weak and muddied. Perhaps it's because they are on the wrong coast.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Kind of a disappointing beer from Ballast Point. Lackluster flavors and only 6.0 ABV.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image

Not the strongest of flavors, and at 4%, weak enough for Jeff's kids, but it's a summer seasonal, and t goes down easily. I'm about halfway through my 12-pack, but I doubt I'll mourn it when the season ends.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I went to the Two Brother's beer festival this past Saturday. I was only there for a short while, but I wanted to try two beers that, according to the narrative on their FB page, were festival exclusives with no plans to hit the market anytime soon. One was a NE IPA...not particularly hazy, not especially juicy (their Pinball Pale Ale fits that niche) but was otherwise pleasant enough to drink. The other was a DIPA, it had some strange flavor that I could not define which I found quite objectionable.

I wish they would have had their barrel-aged Wobble. I might have to break down and pony up $15 for a 6-pack, unless I can convince my wife to stop at their Roundhouse tomorrow after her citizenship interview and they have it on draft... :think:
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I finally tried Stranahan's whiskey. I like it. I like it a lot.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Sama Adams Octoberfest. I look forward to Octoberfest beers every year and Sam Adams is one of the first to come out (and it's pretty good too).
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Today is National IPA Day.

Chip in and do your part!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's also National Ice Cream Sandwich Day and National Coloring Book Day.