Whatcha drinking?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Scuzz

Re: Whatcha drinking?

Post by Scuzz »

Alefroth wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:43 pm
Holman wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:55 am With the closing of bars and state liquor stores, the only place to buy alcohol in my neighborhood is at beer (-only) distributors and at the groceries who've set themselves up with interior beer/wine shops. I honestly don't know where you'd go to buy liquor.

On weekend nights, the (socially-distant) line at my closest grocery is out into the parking lot.
Your liquor stores weren't deemed essential business?

Here in WA our weed stores were.
One of the local weed stores (I have no idea how many we may have here) took out a full page ad in the Sunday Fresno Bee newspaper and is letting everyone know that they will deliver.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Holman wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:55 am With the closing of bars and state liquor stores, the only place to buy alcohol in my neighborhood is at beer (-only) distributors and at the groceries who've set themselves up with interior beer/wine shops. I honestly don't know where you'd go to buy liquor.

On weekend nights, the (socially-distant) line at my closest grocery is out into the parking lot.

I know of people who live in PA who have crossed state lines to get liquor.
Hodor.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I drank a crowler of Tired Hands Grassman on Friday. What a juicy, hazy, fantastic IPA from a brewery I had not tried before. At 8.7%, JeffV would likely not scoff at the alcohol content, and drinking 32oz of it made for a very chill Friday night.
Hodor.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Scuzz wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:47 pm

One of the local weed stores (I have no idea how many we may have here) took out a full page ad in the Sunday Fresno Bee newspaper and is letting everyone know that they will deliver.
You have 57.
Holman

Post by Holman »

PA is weird. Beer (only) can be sold at beer distributors. Wine and beer can be sold by grocery stores that have established a store-within-the-store for it (including a separate checkout). Hard liquor and wine are sold at state-run liquor stores. I believe there are arcane 19th-century reasons for this arrangement, but I don't know them.

Unless something has changed, the state liquor stores are all shut down while the others are not.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The Ellis Redding Red Ale by Metal Monkey Brewing, Romeoville, IL. Another case of "I've loved their beers until..." Flat, tastes slightly of burnt grains, and a nearly non-alcoholic 5.0% ABV. I cant believe I choked down the whole pounder, I really wanted to pour it down the toilet. It did accomplish something rare though -- when I was finished, I did not want another beer. At all. I switched back to my coffee until wine time.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Maine Beer Company's Dinner. The hype is real on this absolutely world class DIPA.
Hodor.
disarm

Post by disarm »

pr0ner wrote:Maine Beer Company's Dinner. The hype is real on this absolutely world class DIPA.
Easily one of my all-time top beers... truly something special
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

disarm wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:11 pm
pr0ner wrote:Maine Beer Company's Dinner. The hype is real on this absolutely world class DIPA.
Easily one of my all-time top beers... truly something special
One of the local craft beer places posted on Facebook that they had just tapped a keg. I immediately changed my dinner plans for the evening and ran over there to grab two Mason jars full of the beer, along with a meatloaf grilled cheese and tots. It was a wonderful Sunday evening.
Hodor.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Middle of Everywhere Modern IPA by Shortfuse Brewing Co., Schiller Park, IL. The name refers to the brewer's proximity to O'Hare Airport, this filtered beer is really quite delicious, complex flavored with a fruitiness forward (not overdone) and nice bitter finish. The flavor is more developed than a lot of DIPAs out there; the only shortcoming would be the 6.9% ABV, which is just ordinary for a single IPA.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Anyone tried the flavored vodka from Deep Eddy? In the past the only vodka I like straight was Stoli from the freezer.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:48 pm Anyone tried the flavored vodka from Deep Eddy? In the past the only vodka I like straight was Stoli from the freezer.
The only flavoring I add to vodka is fresh lime. Seems to me that pre-limed vodka would be akin to those wretched plastic lemon and lime juice containers.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Night Game DIPA with Honey by Sketchbook Brewing Co., Evanston, IL. Commemorating the first night game ever at Wrigley Field (8/8/88), this 8.8% ABV beer (I see what you did there!) is nicely bitter but without much honey flavor -- or least not sweetness normally associated with honey. I would drink again.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Fear. Movie. Lions DIPA, Stone Brewing, Richmond, VA. Apparently named after a grid system used in their Richmond brewery and not an all-too-common fear of Simba; I wish I had this prior to my weekly visit to Flight, where it's selling for less than $3/pounder. 8.5% ABV is decent, but this is beer is nicely bitter (no fruitiness at all), but cloudy so not really ILB-friendly. I'll have to get more at next week's run if it's still available.
Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

What am I drinking?

Not enough!

(Since I have the questionable fortune of not being able to stand the taste of any alcohol I have ever tried other than barely tolerating cinnamon schnapps and hot damn - because the cinnamon drowns the alcohol taste, I don't drink alcohol; just Mt Dew zero).
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

You should try tequila. But don't believe the bullshit myths about it ruining peoples' lives and spend at least $50 on a bottle of good tequila.

Then take your shirt off and drink Vernors while you walk around the neighborhood. There's no way it can fail. MI strong!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Z-Corn wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:22 pm You should try tequila. But don't believe the bullshit myths about it ruining peoples' lives and spend at least $50 on a bottle of good tequila.
Hmm...might be time to hit the liquor cabinet for an 8:30 pm tequila pick me up.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
disarm

Post by disarm »

Smoove_B wrote:
Z-Corn wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:22 pm You should try tequila. But don't believe the bullshit myths about it ruining peoples' lives and spend at least $50 on a bottle of good tequila.
Hmm...might be time to hit the liquor cabinet for an 8:30 pm tequila pick me up.
Tonight was chili and margarita night at our house. Pure and simple margaritas with Herradura Silver, key lime juice, and agave nectar...awesome Image
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:11 pm Fear. Movie. Lions DIPA, Stone Brewing, Richmond, VA. Apparently named after a grid system used in their Richmond brewery and not an all-too-common fear of Simba; I wish I had this prior to my weekly visit to Flight, where it's selling for less than $3/pounder. 8.5% ABV is decent, but this is beer is nicely bitter (no fruitiness at all), but cloudy so not really ILB-friendly. I'll have to get more at next week's run if it's still available.
I have no problems with cloudy or unfiltered beers. It's the hazy IPAs specifically that I don't like. FML is fine, IIRC, although it's been a while since I've had it. I don't like the lack of bitterness in hazy IPAs.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Powers.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

I think I've tried tequila before. Isn't that what you use to make margaritas? They're not $50/pop if you get them across the boarder (I may have relatives who pick some up when they go to TX sometimes).
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Vliet from Threes Brewing. I don't like most pilsners, but I like this one.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I once promised God that I would never touch tequila again if he would let me live through that particular night. I did, so I didn't.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Zenn7 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:14 pm I think I've tried tequila before. Isn't that what you use to make margaritas? They're not $50/pop if you get them across the boarder (I may have relatives who pick some up when they go to TX sometimes).
You can definitely buy tequila for much less than $50/bottle, but it's questionable whether that's a good idea . . . .

Tequila story time. My college roommate once made the mistake of holding a bottle of El Toro (that's one of those brands that sells for significantly less than $50/bottle) by the plastic sombrero lid. Turns out that lid is just slid over the screw-on top, and when the bottle separated from the lid it shattered on our dorm room floor and the "carpet" (i.e., rug scrap we had over the tile floor). We figured we'd need to trash the rug scrap due to the rather pungent nature of cheap tequila, but the smell cleared up by the next day. Not sure if that says anything about what other smells might have been floating around our dorm room or not . . . .
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:26 pm
Zenn7 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:14 pm I think I've tried tequila before. Isn't that what you use to make margaritas? They're not $50/pop if you get them across the boarder (I may have relatives who pick some up when they go to TX sometimes).
You can definitely buy tequila for much less than $50/bottle, but it's questionable whether that's a good idea . . . .

Tequila story time. My college roommate once made the mistake of holding a bottle of El Toro (that's one of those brands that sells for significantly less than $50/bottle) by the plastic sombrero lid. Turns out that lid is just slid over the screw-on top, and when the bottle separated from the lid it shattered on our dorm room floor and the "carpet" (i.e., rug scrap we had over the tile floor). We figured we'd need to trash the rug scrap due to the rather pungent nature of cheap tequila, but the smell cleared up by the next day. Not sure if that says anything about what other smells might have been floating around our dorm room or not . . . .
I'm obviously not an expert on the subject, but I'm told this is good stuff that will sell for many times more, you can buy for like 6-12$ in Mexico.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

RunningMn9 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:59 pm https://www.quitequila.com/

This.
Heh. I read that URL as "quit tequila".

My story happened when I was around 17. Tequila sunrises were one of my favorite drinks -- like all kids, I liked my alcohol sweet and fruity. Me and a friend were camping. We'd brought tequila, ice, grenadine, and orange juice, and that worked out fine until we ran out of OJ and drank tequila and grenadine on the rocks. Then we ran out of rocks and drank warm tequila and grenadine. Then we ran out of grenadine and drank warm tequila straight from the bottle.

I had never been so sick in my life, so I made that pact with God that I mentioned earlier. Even though I don't actually believe in God, and even though the grenadine deserved some blame, avoiding tequila was easy. In the past few years I've allowed myself the rare margarita when I'm at a Mexican restaurant that doesn't have acceptable draft beer, and I've not been struck down yet. God understands.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Kraken wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:20 pm I once promised God that I would never touch tequila again if he would let me live through that particular night. I did, so I didn't.
I have had that night with vodka and cheap wine. :lol:
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Kraken wrote:My story happened when I was around 17. Tequila sunrises were one of my favorite drinks -- like all kids, I liked my alcohol sweet and fruity. Me and a friend were camping. We'd brought tequila, ice, grenadine, and orange juice, and that worked out fine until we ran out of OJ and drank tequila and grenadine on the rocks. Then we ran out of rocks and drank warm tequila and grenadine. Then we ran out of grenadine and drank warm tequila straight from the bottle.

I had never been so sick in my life, so I made that pact with God that I mentioned earlier.
Haha. I lived through that exact story, with one unfortunate twist. When we ran out of tequila, we only had cheap gin. Our one sober friend drove us to a NJ diner in the middle of the night. We got pulled over and the driver had to get out and do a sobriety test. He passed, but the stress didn’t sit well with my 19-yr old addled brain. We got to the diner and after about 8 seconds I was off to the rest room to vomit like my life depended on it (it probably did).

I passed out in the middle of that, hugging a toilet in the Victoria Diner. My friends forgot about me and went home. At some point they were like “where’s RM9?” and had to come back and get me. I woke up 5 hours later, still hammered out of my mind.

I sobered up enough to get home, lucking out that my parents took my visiting grandmother out, but as soon as my head hit the pillow, my boss called and I was summoned to work at the deli. Horrific.

I successfully avoided tequila until my 30th birthday, but was given a shot and it was instant vomiting. Only recently have I been able to tolerate tequila, and one of the only ones I can enjoy is the above referenced Qui.

I was only able to unlock gin again like a year ago.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

RunningMn9 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:04 am
Kraken wrote:My story happened when I was around 17. Tequila sunrises were one of my favorite drinks -- like all kids, I liked my alcohol sweet and fruity. Me and a friend were camping. We'd brought tequila, ice, grenadine, and orange juice, and that worked out fine until we ran out of OJ and drank tequila and grenadine on the rocks. Then we ran out of rocks and drank warm tequila and grenadine. Then we ran out of grenadine and drank warm tequila straight from the bottle.

I had never been so sick in my life, so I made that pact with God that I mentioned earlier.
Haha. I lived through that exact story, with one unfortunate twist. When we ran out of tequila, we only had cheap gin. Our one sober friend drove us to a NJ diner in the middle of the night. We got pulled over and the driver had to get out and do a sobriety test. He passed, but the stress didn’t sit well with my 19-yr old addled brain. We got to the diner and after about 8 seconds I was off to the rest room to vomit like my life depended on it (it probably did).

I passed out in the middle of that, hugging a toilet in the Victoria Diner. My friends forgot about me and went home. At some point they were like “where’s RM9?” and had to come back and get me. I woke up 5 hours later, still hammered out of my mind.

I sobered up enough to get home, lucking out that my parents took my visiting grandmother out, but as soon as my head hit the pillow, my boss called and I was summoned to work at the deli. Horrific.
I've passed out while driving the porcelain bus before, but I can't top that story.

When I said we were "camping" I glossed over that we were staying on my friend's cousin's farm in WI. In exchange for camping on their land and getting free meals, we worked as farm hands for a week. The day after my tequila misadventure, as I awoke with the worst hangover ever, we were tasked with cleaning out the horse barn. Somewhere there's a photo of us standing with our pitchforks, American Gothic style, in front of a truck carrying "one official shitload."
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Zenn7 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:54 pm I'm obviously not an expert on the subject, but I'm told this is good stuff that will sell for many times more, you can buy for like 6-12$ in Mexico.
Sounds like something a guy trying to sell a gringo a bottle of tequila would say.

Genuine 100% blue agave tequila is labor intensive and blue agave is becoming scarce. I'm not saying it's impossible for it to be that cheap but I am saying there are many factors that determine the price of a quality bottle of tequila.

One of my dream vacations that I'm going to plan someday soon will be going to Mexico and visiting farms and distilleries, just like Scotch drinkers go to Scotland. I don't know if there is anything like that organized or if I'd have to figure it out on my own...
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Z-Corn wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:22 pm Vernors
Man, I haven't seen that stuff in more than 20 years. It hasn't been sold locally for decades.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Zenn7 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:54 pm I'm obviously not an expert on the subject, but I'm told this is good stuff that will sell for many times more, you can buy for like 6-12$ in Mexico.
Not at border towns. The best deals I got was $30 for something selling north of $50 here. It's worth getting some if you happen to be there, not worth making a booze run though.

Good tequila is the only hard liquor I can drink straight up, therefore the only one that warrants paying for good stuff. It is not a habit though, in recent decades mostly only when a friend has the guys over for cards, food, beer and when we have it, tequila.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Citra Ass Down DIPA by Against the Grain, Louisville, KY. I read yesterday that Kentucky has a high instance of sanitizer poisoning (they do love their orange monkey god); not sure why they would drink that when this is available. A delicious, highly bitter DIPA, clocks in at a middling 8.2% ABV but is a nice start on a rainy Saturday.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

40th Anniversary Ale, Sierra Nevada Brewery, Chico,CA. This one comes close to channeling a traditional English ale, it's just slightly lacking. Lacking in what? Take your pick: bitterness, malt, booze (only 6%). It's not bad...buy it on sale though. It's not a replacement for Celebration (which is finally gone) and probably a half-step behind the Torpedo I replaced it with.
Black Lives Matter
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:07 pm There might be.
I know there are single tours like this but I'd like to find something like the Kentucky Bourbon Trail that I could travel at my leisure.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Rumpy wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:19 pm
Z-Corn wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:22 pm Vernors
Man, I haven't seen that stuff in more than 20 years. It hasn't been sold locally for decades.

Maybe we could make a trade...you send ketchup chips and I'll send Vernors.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Pithy IPA by Brewery Bhavana, Raleigh, NC. Never heard of Vic Secret hops, but this has 'em. This very milky colored IPA is aptly named; the can suggests orange pith, and that's about right -- barely detectable hints of citrus. 7.4% in a pounder isn't bad for this style. BTW, the can is representative of the color of this beer with a head. The only thing this beer is really lacking is superlatives...it's just ok across the board.
Black Lives Matter
disarm

Post by disarm »

Ransack the Universe from Collective Arts Brewing... really solid galaxy and mosaic west coast IPA. While it's only 6.8%, it's full of flavor and drinks almost like a DIPA