Whatcha drinking?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

mori

Re: Whatcha drinking?

Post by mori »

Highland Park 18 yo that has new branding. Have not had anything from Highland Park besides the 12 yo. This is sweet and fruity with notes of honey. It is pretty good but I prefer the 12 yo.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Fathom IPA by Ballast Point Brewing Co., San Diego, CA. Ballast Point makes a number of flavorful beers. This is not one of them. A really pedestrian IPA, it doesn't even measure up to the likes of Sam Adams Rebel. Flavor is vaguely resinous, and at a paltry 6.0% ABV, it's the very definition of weak sauce.
Black Lives Matter
disarm

Post by disarm »

I enjoyed a couple Waldo Special Ales from Lagunitas with dinner last night...very flavorful, hoppy double/imperial IPA that is surprisingly quick to drink despite the 10% ABV. They went down so smooth that I could have drank another, but that probably wouldn't have been good for work today...
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I bought a six pack of this last week. I usually like Dogfish Head beers, and some light background fruit flavor, especially on a warm Saturday is nice, but I was pretty meh about this. A little too much of everything.

Dogfish Head Flesh and Blood

Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Shorts Soft Parade High Gravity Ale. Fermented with Blueberries, strawberries, blackberries and raspberries, I do believe this beer is considered a "super food". This style of beer is more of a Belgian thing and while I typically loathe all beera Belgian, I suppose I'll be able to choke down the rest of this 7.5% ABV 6 pack.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Shorts Controversiale by Shorts Brew, Elk Rapids, MI. Yes, Meijer has a sale on all Shorts beers. No, this beer is not worth it at half the price.

Tasting vaguely of grapefruit and dirt, thel alcohol content, if any, is so trivial they are embarrassed to admit it on the label. I think I'll use the rest of the 6 pack to boil ribs tomorrow.
Black Lives Matter
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Jeff V wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 10:54 pm Shorts Controversiale by Shorts Brew, Elk Rapids, MI. Yes, Meijer has a sale on all Shorts beers. No, this beer is not worth it at half the price.

Tasting vaguely of grapefruit and dirt, thel alcohol content, if any, is so trivial they are embarrassed to admit it on the label. I think I'll use the rest of the 6 pack to boil ribs tomorrow.
6.6% ABV, hardly worth rubbing on your baby's gums.

Why are you boiling ribs? Did this beer make you lose your good judgement?
mori

Post by mori »

Boulevard Grand Cru is a blend of barrel-aged imperial stout and barrel-aged quadruple. This is sweet and boozy. Not bad but this needs to age in a cool dark corner for awhile to mellow out.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Snobs :)

Im still at this tomorrow.

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

With this branding, how could you not want to try it? Brewed in CT for a new Hingham, MA, company, I don't know whether to consider it an import or local (Hingham is about 10 miles away, but CT is a whole other state). Light and clean-tasting, it borders on session territory at a mere 5.5% ABV. It could become a summer go-to if it came in 12-packs. Alas, it's outclassed in the premium 4-pack department. Although I don't ordinarily gravitate to high-alcohol beers, this one suffers a certain lack of zing that alcohol could have given it. I doubt that I'll pay $11 for this again. I might try their hardier version, "The Tempest," at some point, but Act One lacks the bold flavor that I expect from beers in this market segment.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I assume their King Lear is brutal.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Enlarge Image
Not really intentionally, I don't think I've had a drink at home since Christmas. Got some interesting stuff in my fridge I'll have to crack open soon. Anyway, I felt like some cider so I picked this up. I realized I've actually had it before, but they changed their label.

It's a really nice basic perry. The ideal combination of sweet, dry, and tart for easy drinking.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I should REALLY go by a pure brew store/shop. Not the local gas station or food store. Although all Ive wanted lately is some Redds Apple Ale and some Yuengling beer.
mori

Post by mori »

Pipeworks Brewing S'more Money S'more Problems is yet another "pastry stout". Very sweet and filled with adjuncts like graham crackers, cacao nibs, vanilla, and marshmallow flavoring. The first few sips actually taste like a S'more. But it gets a bit much because of the sweetness. Like hazy New England IPAs, I just don't like sweet drinks.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Z-Corn wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 7:48 am Why are you boiling ribs? Did this beer make you lose your good judgement?
I simmer them in beer with apple slices, onion, and other herbs and spices. It separates the meat from the bone and breaks down the connective tissue. Grilling then firms it up. Everyone who's ever had my ribs loves it...my wife refuses to get ribs anywhere else because she is invariably disappointed.
Black Lives Matter
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Jeff V wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 8:55 am
Z-Corn wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 7:48 am Why are you boiling ribs? Did this beer make you lose your good judgement?
I simmer them in beer with apple slices, onion, and other herbs and spices. It separates the meat from the bone and breaks down the connective tissue. Grilling then firms it up. Everyone who's ever had my ribs loves it...my wife refuses to get ribs anywhere else because she is invariably disappointed.
I'm just giving you shit because I know you can take it.

Still, that's absolutely the wrong way to cook ribs, but that's another thread...
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Z-Corn wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 3:42 pm
Still, that's absolutely the wrong way to cook ribs, but that's another thread...
I stand by my results. Don't tell me I'm wrong until you've tried them. :tjg:
Black Lives Matter
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Jeff V wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 3:47 pm
Z-Corn wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 3:42 pm
I stand by my results. Don't tell me I'm wrong until you've tried them. :tjg:
Fair enough, I love to have my mind changed!
mori

Post by mori »

Cigar City Jai Alai IPA. I had this beer over 5 years ago and my notes stated that I really enjoyed this Florida beer. Another new arrival to my state and had it on tap at a local pub. I still really like this beer. But it is not going to replace Toppling Goliath's Golden Nugget or Pompeii for my fridge IPA dollars.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

20-Year-Old Whiskey in 6 Days: Will This Self-Taught Chemist Upend the Liquor Industry?
When you sip from a well-aged glass of smokey whiskey, you can almost taste the years its sat in an oak barrel. That taste is what allows some distillers to charge thousands of dollars for a bottle of whiskey or rum aged 15 to 20 years. But, distiller Bryan Davis, cofounder of Lost Spirits Distillery, says he can hand you that bottle in just six days.

Davis invented a reactor that can mimic the chemical change that happens in a barrel over decades and he figured out how to do it by watching MIT classes on YouTube.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

The world is in two camps:
1. Those who like their ribs falling off the bone
2. Those who know better

:D
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Says my dog who will happily gnaw on bones that would otherwise wreck my precarious dental work.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Slow cooker + ribs + sauerkraut + apple + onion + 8 - 12 hours = awesome.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Daehawk wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 2:51 pm Slow cooker
Just stop right there.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Pretty average for its class...which isn't a bad thing; it's a good class. Good solid DIPA, but not exceptional.
Holman

Post by Holman »

This week I've had two beers described on the label/menu as "hazy IPA": Manayunk Brewing Company's Simcoalition and Funk Brewing's Silent Disco.

Is "hazy IPA" a new term of art? I can affirm that both were hazy indeed, and very good, with a distinctively creamy and thick mouth feel compared to less hazy things.

I guess I like it hazy.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Hazy is the same thing as New England. It's not for everyone.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Holman

Post by Holman »

I've just never seen it on a label before.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 10:03 am Hazy is the same thing as New England. It's not for everyone.
What, in your opinion, is for everyone? Just curious...I can't recall having anything that was so universally well regarded.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Jeff V wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 10:36 am
ImLawBoy wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 10:03 am Hazy is the same thing as New England. It's not for everyone.
What, in your opinion, is for everyone? Just curious...I can't recall having anything that was so universally well regarded.
Oxygen?

I haven't cared much for the NE style IPAs I tried, but I enjoy hop bitterness. It might be an expectation thing on my part - when I see "IPA" on the label, I'm expecting something different than what a NE style IPA offers. As time goes on, I might soften to the style (like I did with sour beers, which I originally hated, but am now OK with). At this point, though, NE IPAs are missing something that I'm seeking in a beer, and specifically in an IPA.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 11:06 am
Jeff V wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 10:36 am
Oxygen?

I haven't cared much for the NE style IPAs I tried, but I enjoy hop bitterness. It might be an expectation thing on my part - when I see "IPA" on the label, I'm expecting something different than what a NE style IPA offers. As time goes on, I might soften to the style (like I did with sour beers, which I originally hated, but am now OK with). At this point, though, NE IPAs are missing something that I'm seeking in a beer, and specifically in an IPA.
"American IPA" seems to be the emerging term for a NEIPA with a bitter finish.

These people just released a clear NEIPA, just to show that they could. It looks like slightly cloudy water, which is quite unappealing to me. I haven't tried it yet. I'm curious about it, but not curious enough to actually buy it.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Kraken wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 11:50 am "American IPA" seems to be the emerging term for a NEIPA with a bitter finish.
I thought "American IPA" was just a standard, hoppy IPA, but was getting an additional label because there are so many sub-styles that we need even more names. Like you'd have an English IPA for an uber-traditional low bitterness IPA, West Coast IPA for a super-piney, resiny IPA, American IPA for what is the most common form of the style, and NE IPA for people who don't really like IPAs. ( :P )
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

None of the terms are well defined. "American IPA" always seemed like the vaguest to me.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 12:00 pm None of the terms are well defined. "American IPA" always seemed like the vaguest to me.
Often they are vague beers as well...hops are undefined (and indefinable); flavor is nerfed; and ABV is middling at best. I generally find them indistinguishable from APAs.
ImLawBoy wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 11:06 am
ImLawBoy wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 10:03 am Oxygen?
Who beerified oxygen? Sounds like something Dogfishhead would do. :think:
Black Lives Matter
mori

Post by mori »

I think "hazy" New England IPAs are like Black IPAs of several years ago. Quite the rage but then people come to their senses and they fade from popularity.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Tough room!
mori

Post by mori »

Drink what you enjoy.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 11:06 am At this point, though, NE IPAs are missing something that I'm seeking in a beer, and specifically in an IPA.
The ones I've tried made me the think the brewer just gave up even trying to create beer.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I like NEIPAs quite a lot, and I also like dank piney resinous west coast IPAs. Just depends on what I'm in the mood for, and how many I expect to drink. But then, I liked black IPAs too, so I'm a heretic.
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

mori wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 11:01 pm Drink what you enjoy.
Certainly beats the alternative.
18-1™ & 2-0