Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

pr0ner

Re: Whatcha drinking?

Post by pr0ner »

disarm wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:10 pm
Holman wrote:Wow.

It is delicious.
Heady Topper is very good, but I actually prefer Focal Banger when it comes comes to Alchemist beers. Congrats on finding a source!
A friend and his girlfriend did a NE brewery tour for his 40th birthday last week that included a stop at Alchemist. They brought home 4 4-packs of Heady Topper - I think I'm getting one of them. :wub:
Hodor.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Scuzz wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 2:13 pm I bought a six pack of this last week. I usually like Dogfish Head beers, and some light background fruit flavor, especially on a warm Saturday is nice, but I was pretty meh about this. A little too much of everything.

Dogfish Head Flesh and Blood

Have you tried their Liquid Truth Serum yet?
Hodor.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

mori wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 11:01 pm Drink what you enjoy.
Yes. I don't begrudge people who want to drink NE IPAs. If that's their preferred style, then go for it. I hate that 75% of the new beers on the shelf seem to be that style, but there's still enough other stuff for me to enjoy. I make the "NE IPAs are for people who don't like IPAs" crack with a little bit of snark, but also to express my opinion that the NE IPAs aren't really IPAs - they're a different type of beer that got the IPA label, but that someone who doesn't like the bitterness of a traditional IPA can enjoy.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 10:06 am
Yes. I don't begrudge people who want to drink NE IPAs. If that's their preferred style, then go for it. I hate that 75% of the new beers on the shelf seem to be that style, but there's still enough other stuff for me to enjoy. I make the "NE IPAs are for people who don't like IPAs" crack with a little bit of snark, but also to express my opinion that the NE IPAs aren't really IPAs - they're a different type of beer that got the IPA label, but that someone who doesn't like the bitterness of a traditional IPA can enjoy.
The other 25% are coffee beers. Hope you like those better!

It seems every year now something becomes fashionable: sour beers, various fruit beers, hop-of-the-moment, etc. Everyone then wants to have an offering in that space. It can be rather tiresome when the trend is something you just can't get on board with - a few years ago when everything new was gose was an example for me. So far I've not been put off by the few NE IPAs I've tried, but they are still uncommon here outside of Binny's.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

pr0ner wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 9:05 am
Scuzz wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 2:13 pm I bought a six pack of this last week. I usually like Dogfish Head beers, and some light background fruit flavor, especially on a warm Saturday is nice, but I was pretty meh about this. A little too much of everything.

Dogfish Head Flesh and Blood

Have you tried their Liquid Truth Serum yet?
No. Being in California we don't get a great variety of their beers. Usually just the three basic IPA's and then a fall seasonal or two.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jeff V wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 11:49 am
ImLawBoy wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 10:06 am
The other 25% are coffee beers. Hope you like those better!

It seems every year now something becomes fashionable: sour beers, various fruit beers, hop-of-the-moment, etc. Everyone then wants to have an offering in that space. It can be rather tiresome when the trend is something you just can't get on board with - a few years ago when everything new was gose was an example for me. So far I've not been put off by the few NE IPAs I've tried, but they are still uncommon here outside of Binny's.
It does seem that is how it works. I haven't tried many NE IPA's but I have liked a few that I have tried. Deschuttes I think even has a NE style pale ale I think now.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

That is certainly one way to stifle innovation and kill off these bothersome trends. I'm an adventurous sort though...if I wasn't, I'd still be guzzling the likes of Stroh's because hey, my 15 year old self enjoyed it well enough.

Sure, being more daring means having a certain tolerance for stinkers, but the thrill of finding something terrific is why we play that game.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Drive Thru Red Dry Hopped Red Ale by Josephsbrau Brewery, San Jose, CA. A new offering by one of Trader Joe's house breweries, there's a lot to like here. It has the sweet maltiness of a red ale with a mild hop finish. 7.2% ABV at a $6.30/6 price point makes this one of their more efficient beers for drinking sessions (their Heavy Lifting at 8% - $5/6 takes the crown here).
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Enlarge Image

It's a decent drier cider. Not very much body. Maybe a light local alternative for the Strongbow crowd?

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Hazy Jane NE IPA, Brewdog Brewery, Winchester, OH. I stopped at Binny's today expecting to see a number of NE IPAs in the DYO rack, but this was the only one. It was okay, the fruit was tempered by the bitterness for a decent balance. 7.2% ABV is okay, I expected less. I could do a 6 of this one.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

RiNO APA by Epic Brewing, Denver, CO. Called a Juicy APA, it's a hazy beer that's less fruity and, at 5.8%ABV, more nerfed than the Brewdog.
Black Lives Matter
mori

Post by mori »

Fair State Vienna Lager. Now that is not really IPA season anymore I gravitate to the less strong lagers, hefeweizens, and maybe a gose or two. This one is a very fine example. More malty than a pils, nice Noble hop spice for balance, but still light and easy drinking.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Ananda IPA by Wiseacre Brewery, Memphis, TN. Very fragrant and piney, this is a throw back to the state of IPAs around 5 years ago. Very flavorful, but the 6.7%'ABV is middling at best.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

90 Shilling Ale by Odell Brewery, Ft Collins, CO. Did you ever wonder what happens when you take a flavorful, strong Scotch ale and turn a fire hose onto it? Well, the result would be much like this anemic 5.3% ABV effort by Odell.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Paled It! Tropical pale ale by Saugatuck Brewery, MI. I like this brewery, and this beer makes for a good lemonade replacement on hot summer days. At only 5.5% ABV, not a hard lemonade at that.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jeff V wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 5:05 pm RiNO APA by Epic Brewing, Denver, CO. Called a Juicy APA, it's a hazy beer that's less fruity and, at 5.8%ABV, more nerfed than the Brewdog.
Stone brewing now makes a "Juicy APA" they call Ripper.

I had one of these over the weekend. Low alcohol, a little more flavor than a typical Pale Ale. A good hot weather beer.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Golden Nugget is another winner from Toppling Goliath. Hazy and citrusy, it's an "American IPA" rather than a NEIPA because (1) Iowa isn't in New England, and (2) it finishes with a hint of the piney bitterness that you purists demand from your IPAs. I'd rank this behind Pseudo Sue but ahead of Pompeii, although I'd have to taste them all in one sitting for a proper comparison. I think it's around 6% ABV so it won't win any JeffV awards. I must say, this brewery I'd never heard of two months ago has gone right into my favorites.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Wells Banana Bread Beer

Can't remember if I've had this before, or just seen you guys post about it. It's very good. Though not the kind of thing I think I'd purchase often. But it definitely lives up to its name and is a decent ale to boot.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im not drinking thsi week as I have a pain doctor appointment. but my wife got this today.

Enlarge Image

and

Enlarge Image

But I did pick this up for me this weekend when my app is over.

Enlarge Image

I would like to try this Muse stuff.

Enlarge Image

Also I read about some beer aged in brandy casks that is supposed to be amazing but from what I recall the price was sky high so thats out.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I have to buy some Scotch for our babysitter's husband's birthday He's also a friend, of course. Probably going with a Macalllan.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Angry Orchard was my favourite cider. Haven't had it in a while... will need to retest that notion soon. ;)

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Great time of the year weatherwise to have a nice cider.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sudy wrote:Wells Banana Bread Beer

Can't remember if I've had this before, or just seen you guys post about it. It's very good. Though not the kind of thing I think I'd purchase often. But it definitely lives up to its name and is a decent ale to boot.
It is excellent. I should have the wife bring some home.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
mori

Post by mori »

Kraken wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 10:14 pm Image

Golden Nugget is another winner from Toppling Goliath. Hazy and citrusy, it's an "American IPA" rather than a NEIPA because (1) Iowa isn't in New England, and (2) it finishes with a hint of the piney bitterness that you purists demand from your IPAs. I'd rank this behind Pseudo Sue but ahead of Pompeii, although I'd have to taste them all in one sitting for a proper comparison. I think it's around 6% ABV so it won't win any JeffV awards. I must say, this brewery I'd never heard of two months ago has gone right into my favorites.
They are the king of hoppy ales in the Midwest. Some might argue Pipeworks, Surly, or Three Floyds, but I prefer Toppling Goliath.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Can someone tell me what the taste of a pale ale compares to? Remember Im cheap so cheap compo :) I saw some India Pale Ale or something in the store. I like Bud, Yeungling, Michelob Light, Killian Red and such.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I'm no expert as I don't usually like the style, but in general, it's very hops-forward and tends to be bitter (but not always). Some are piney. Some are citrusy (I like these ones).

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Other than that one you liked the rest of the tastes do not sound desirable. Ugh I hate trying beer after beer for something I like. I dont like bitter or strong or dry. Like people love Guinness but to me its like burned coffee and I hate coffee...unless its iced, milked, and sweet.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Daehawk, you've mentioned Yuengling before, and as a Philadelphian I want to steer you away from it because it's my city's lamest beer.

Yuengling's widest-distributed local competitors here are Yards or Victory. If you like the Yuengling lager, try Yards' IPA or Victory's Hop Devil. Both are IPAs, but they're not overpowering and they still have tons more character than Yuengling.

Also, Yuengling's owner is a Trump-loving asshole.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Waterslides IPA by 3 Sheep's Brewing, Sheboygan, WI. A nice represenative of its ilk, this is a balanced IPA will a little citrus and a bitter finish. 6.7% ABV places it around average for ordinary IPA. I could see myself grazing on a dozen or so. Baaaaaa.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Einstök Icelandic Toasted Porter.

"Baltic porter brewed with Icelandic roasted coffee," 11.2 oz cans, 6% ABV. Goes down smoothly.

Einstok for non-umlaut future searches
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thanks. Also Ill look for that Victory. And that Sour Monkey Remix sounds interesting. Ill have to look into that Victory stuff a bit deeper. Also had no idea Yuengling was a Philly beer.

As I noted before Im still looking for this local..and cheap. Doubt Ill find it as either.

Goose Island Lolita
Enlarge Image
Lolita is a 9-percent ABV Belgian-style ale aged with raspberries and wild yeast in Cabernet Sauvignon barrels. It somehow manages to be both sweet and tart, with uncommon balance and approachability for the style.

Now Ive found this and it has me interested.

Founders Backwoods Bastard
Enlarge Image
Their Kentucky Breakfast Stout gets all the attention, but Backwoods Bastard is my favorite of Founders’s barrel-aged offerings. The bourbon-rested version of Dirty Bastard Scotch ale is a deceptively smooth 11.6-percent alcohol-by-volume monster with vanilla, caramel, dark fruit, coconut, and maple flavors.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I have a Backwoods Bastard T-shirt that I bought at the Founders brewery. Not that fond of the beer but I love the brand.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I've one bottle left of Breakfast Stout, never had Backwoods Bastard. Love their Dirty Bastard though.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 10:05 pm Einstök Icelandic Toasted Porter.

"Baltic porter brewed with Icelandic roasted coffee," 11.2 oz cans, 6% ABV. Goes down smoothly.

Einstok for non-umlaut future searches
Beer in Iceland
In May 1988, the Althing passed legislation legalizing beer above 2.25% ABV. The restrictions were lifted on March 1, 1989.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Kraken wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 10:14 pm Image

I don't know if it's a definitive source or not, but Beer Advocate does not identify American IPA with the hazy/New England style. Their top 5 rated "American IPAs" are Two Hearted (Bell's), Sculpin (Ballast Point), 60 Minute (Dogfish Head), IPA (Stone), and Torpedo (Sierra Nevada), none of which are hazy.

As for Golden Nugget, while it definitely is cloudy/hazy in appearance, it doesn't seem to fit the other characteristics of a hazy/NE IPA to me.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

While I am not an expert I think the hazy IPA is just the latest Brewery thing and therefore is not what I would call a typical American IPA either. In the past you might get an occasional unfiltered IPA that was kinda hazy but I think they have taken that to a whole new level with the "hazy" beers. Also, I am pretty sure I have had beers that use the "new England" moniker that were not hazy.

Interestingly, of that list of American IPA's I have had four of the five, the Bell being the only one I haven't tried.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The categories are what's hazy. Each brewer decides its own standards. "American IPA" seems especially ill-defined. At least most of us have clear ideas of what we think West Coast and NE (or East Coast) should be. It's all good IMO.
mori

Post by mori »

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Chaos Theory NE IPA by Foreign Objects Beer Co., Clifton, NY. I'll let my wife review this one.

"It looks like pineapple juice! It smells sweet! It tastes fruity, but just a little bitter."

She likes it! But she hates beer, and at a mere 5% this changes nothing.
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Scuzz wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 4:18 pm While I am not an expert I think the hazy IPA is just the latest Brewery thing and therefore is not what I would call a typical American IPA either. In the past you might get an occasional unfiltered IPA that was kinda hazy but I think they have taken that to a whole new level with the "hazy" beers. Also, I am pretty sure I have had beers that use the "new England" moniker that were not hazy.

Interestingly, of that list of American IPA's I have had four of the five, the Bell being the only one I haven't tried.
Oh, definitely try Bell's Two-Hearted. Not that I'm an expert taster, but if I can only have one beer that's the one. I do think it's superior to the rest of that (very good) list.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.