Whatcha drinking?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: Whatcha drinking?

Post by Daehawk »

Ok Ive started the grape ones now.

Enlarge Image

Very different from the orange .Where that one tasted like an orange soda for all intents this grape one taste more like wine. It does have some grape flavor but more wine'ish. Also has a strong tanginess aftertaste which Im digging. You get flavor than BAM tartness.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
mori

Post by mori »

Firestone Walker Brewing Velvet Merkin is a bourbon barrel-aged oatmeal stout. Nice bourbon and vanilla flavor from the barrel that compliments the oatmeal stout. Not too boozy.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Wachusett is one of my favorite regional breweries (overlooking their flagship blueberry ale) because they compete in the same market niche as Sam Adams and Harpoon -- lower-priced crowd pleasers like Green Monsta IPA. So naturally they had to get in on the NEIPA bandwagon, and naturally I had to try it.

It's really pretty good -- not over the top fruity like so many others. It's smooth and goes down easier than it should at 7% ABV. I guess it must be doing pretty well for them, since I see that they have two variants as well: Wally Juice and Wally Junior. I can see Junior becoming a summer go-to if they release it in 12-packs. I'll buy Wally again and would recommend it as an intro to the NEIPA style. The only drawback is some unappealing sediment in the bottom of my glass.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

mori wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 10:27 am Firestone Walker Brewing Velvet Merkin is a bourbon barrel-aged oatmeal stout. Nice bourbon and vanilla flavor from the barrel that compliments the oatmeal stout. Not too boozy.
They also make one called "Velvet Merlin" which is very good, but not bourbon barrel aged.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Kraken wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 10:14 pm Golden Nugget is another winner from Toppling Goliath. Hazy and citrusy, it's an "American IPA" rather than a NEIPA because (1) Iowa isn't in New England, and (2) it finishes with a hint of the piney bitterness that you purists demand from your IPAs. I'd rank this behind Pseudo Sue but ahead of Pompeii, although I'd have to taste them all in one sitting for a proper comparison. I think it's around 6% ABV so it won't win any JeffV awards. I must say, this brewery I'd never heard of two months ago has gone right into my favorites.
I had a beer from a local Virginia brewery (Crooked Run) over the weekend called Heart and Soul. They call it an American IPA. It's hazy (from the description: "A hazy IPA made with Mosaic and Idaho 7 hops"). However, while hazy, it's definitely not an NEIPA, because there's a nice bitter bite that comes through the juiciness. It's "only" 6.5% ABV, but it was quite tasty.

I also tried (and by tried, I got a tiny pour to try out) a sour NEIPA called Everything Floats on Sourhop by a Richmond, VA brewery called Vasen. Nope nope nope nope and nope! Sours still are not my thing.
Hodor.
mori

Post by mori »

Not a fan of sour with hops. There is a reason why the Belgian's used year-old hops when brewing their sour beer.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I don't see how a sour is even labeled a beer.
Black Lives Matter
mori

Post by mori »

The Bruery Melange No. 3. The label pretty much describes it all. A lot is going on but it all melds well together. The 16.3% ABV will satisfy even Jeff V.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Last night: Muskoka SummerWeiss Tropical Wheat. A wheat beer with hints of mango and passionfruit. I thought it'd be far sweeter than it ended up being, but it's actually quite nice.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Nefarious Harbor by Evil Czech Brewing, Mishiwaka, IN. For starters, the name of the brewery alone practically summoned me when I was looking for a dinner place on the way back from a vacation road trip. I was a little disappointed when they were out of Nefarious Harbor, but the other beers were terrific. Then I found out they did have it for sale in cans, so I bought a 4 pack. Had I bought it on draft, I never would have seen the delightful Hoptopus gracing the 16 oz can. A hazy, juicy NE IPA, or has a nice balance and at 7.2 % ABV less wussy than most.
Black Lives Matter
mori

Post by mori »

Schell's Rauchbier Helles Lager. I know smoke beers are as polarizing as sour beers around here. This is not heavy on the smoke but still has that Beechwood smoked malt flavor that tastes like ham or bacon. No ashy campfire flavor in this one.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Watermelon Wheat Ale by Lost Coast Brewery, Eugene, CA. Did you ever wonder what would happen if you liquefied a watermelon Jelly Belly? Well, this drink is for you. I hesitate to even call it a beer, since it comes in at a candy-assed 5%. I generally like watermelon beers that have a more refreshing natural flavor rather than a confectionary caricature of the real thing.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Stone Exulted IPA. Part of their "Hop Worship" series, the citra and lorel hops give it a rather earthy flavor kind of like savory herbs. I expected more of a grapefruit blast, but I'm pleasantly surprised it's anything but. Only 7% ABV though...if Stone wants my worship, give me something more powerful than a minor demigod.
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

mori wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 11:07 am Image
The Bruery Melange No. 3. The label pretty much describes it all. A lot is going on but it all melds well together. The 16.3% ABV will satisfy even Jeff V.
I feel betrayed by a beer calling itself "Melange" without a Dune reference.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I'm trying cherry Dr Pepper for the first time. I don't recommend it.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Luponic Distortion by Firestone Walker. Urine colored, weak of flavor and no booze to speak of (5.9%), there's not much to recommend from this hit or miss brewery.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jeff V wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 6:27 pm Luponic Distortion by Firestone Walker. Urine colored, weak of flavor and no booze to speak of (5.9%), there's not much to recommend from this hit or miss brewery.
They make one of these every year, each slightly different, and I have found each to be worse than the original. I think they are up to 8 or 9 now.

They aren't bad, but there are much better beers out there.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Scuzz wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 1:53 pm
Jeff V wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 6:27 pm Luponic Distortion by Firestone Walker. Urine colored, weak of flavor and no booze to speak of (5.9%), there's not much to recommend from this hit or miss brewery.
They make one of these every year, each slightly different, and I have found each to be worse than the original. I think they are up to 8 or 9 now.

They aren't bad, but there are much better beers out there.
That would explain the "Revolution #009" print around the top of the can.

Maybe it's not as bad as I make it out to be, but out of 4 beers yesterday, it was by far the least flavorful, and with that sort of lineup, being the first would have been far kinder than being the last (which it was).
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

mori wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 11:07 am Image
Ah, a session beer!
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Hazy Jane by Brew Dog. This is a really nice NE IPA, flavors reminiscent of lychee and jackfruit, not overwhelming in its fruitiness. 7.2% ABV is rather bold by NE IPA standards.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

So many wonderful beers coming out nowadays that no one could keep up with them. I like to take a stab at it with the local ones, especially for NEIPAs, and Ipswich is a big regional contract brewer for other companies that only occasionally releases beers under their own name. Once upon a time Ipswich IPA was my favorite go-to, so I had high hopes for their take on a NEIPA.

Alas, this is not one of those wonderful beers. It has an unpleasant musty aftertaste that makes me wonder if it was brewed in 1620 or infused with dead pilgrims. Will not buy this one again. Honestly, I'm beginning to wonder why I buy anything but Toppling Goliath anymore.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Born Again Yesterday Unfiltered Ale by Lagunitas Brewing. Cloudy with solids that settle to bottom, this has the familiar grapefruit overtones reminiscent of Lil Sumpin or their IPAs. ABV of 7.2% and relatively affordable 12 pack pricing combines to make this an early summer winner.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Forgot I hate IPA...so bitter...tastes like Im drinking a can of pine needles.

Enlarge Image

Also got some Lemon Lime Hard Soda. Not tried yet.

Enlarge Image
mori

Post by mori »

With hard soda and other malt-based beverages like Mike's, I really enjoy the flavor with the first two pulls, then the third is meh, and then I am looking to ditch the rest of the 6-pack. Hard root beer is the only one that could hold my attention to drink more than one bottle or can. Not Your Father's Root Beer was one of the first to market and I think is the best. It is owned by big beer so it should be available everywhere. The 10% ABV version not so much, just tastes like watered down root beer schnapps.
mori

Post by mori »

This is the beer that made me take notice of this small Iowa brewery back in 2011 when I was passing through town. This is what IPA's were back in the 19th century and that always intrigued me. The hop flavor and bitterness tempered by the oak aging just like when they were shipped for months at sea in an oak cask to get to their consumers in some shit hole in the world. This bottle however does not catch that same magic. It is totally deprived of any sweetness. It is dry and very heavy with the oak. Should not have fermented it out so much or added some *gasp* unfermentable sugars.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ill look into the root beer stuff. Love root beer.
mori

Post by mori »

Because it contains beer in the name,(even though it is hard soda and not beer) it is not treated like hard sodas, seltzers, etc. May have to look for it next to the beer selection.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Hop Hash Easy IPA by Sweetwater Brewing, Atlanta, GA. Nice flavor for a nearly alcohol-free beer! (4.2%) Sweet and piney comes to mind. $12/15, price is sure right. They make for nice spacers in between real beer.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Got this finally. Only had a couple sips as I go to the pain doc Monday and they dont want me to have alcohol in my system. Doc says its ok and told me when the limit on the testing is :) He is a good guy.

Anyways Doesn't taste like rootbeer as much as vanilla and liquorice..I hate liquorice. Anyways I do like it and will drink it. its not as good as I remember rootbeer schnapps being when I was a teen.

Enlarge Image
mori

Post by mori »

Clown Shoes Breakfast Exorcism is a stout aged in bourbon barrels with espresso. Another nice, widely available barrel-aged stout. The espresso is more in the aroma than the flavor. I wanted a lot more in the flavor to start off World Cup viewing day. I bought 3 other Clown Shoes barrel-aged stouts yesterday which I will be drinking over the World Cup weekends.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Enlarge Image

Yuzu Jammer from Sixpoint. It's a variation on their Jammer gose, with citrus (yuzu and lime), basil and habanero. The flavors come through clearly and are balanced well -- I was surprised that the basil worked, but it did. I had a couple while sitting in the late afternoon sun on a hot summer day.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Enlarge Image
This is weird and did not work for me. But I bought a six-pack, so I'll give it another try tonight and see if it grows on me.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Zymurgy magazine's annual list of the best beers and breweries in America.

No major surprises near the top, with Bell's Two Hearted and Pliny the Elder in the top two spots. The Two-Hearted is plentiful in my area, and I can confirm that it's very good. I've never had Pliny the Elder, but maybe some day.

Only one-and-a-half breweries (if that) from Chicago made the list. Lagunitas lists Chicago (along with its original Petaluma, CA location) as its home base, and Three Floyd's is technically out of Muenster, IN, but that's just about 30 miles outside of Chicago. The state of Michigan takes the top two breweries with Bell's and Founders, and Iowa gets a shout-out with Toppling Goliath at 20.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Holman

Post by Holman »

The only PA brewery on the list is Victory Brewing, my local fave. They're tied for last, but it's an elite group.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:16 pm Zymurgy magazine's annual list of the best beers and breweries in America.

No major surprises near the top, with Bell's Two Hearted and Pliny the Elder in the top two spots. The Two-Hearted is plentiful in my area, and I can confirm that it's very good. I've never had Pliny the Elder, but maybe some day.

Only one-and-a-half breweries (if that) from Chicago made the list. Lagunitas lists Chicago (along with its original Petaluma, CA location) as its home base, and Three Floyd's is technically out of Muenster, IN, but that's just about 30 miles outside of Chicago. The state of Michigan takes the top two breweries with Bell's and Founders, and Iowa gets a shout-out with Toppling Goliath at 20.
My wife's manager two jobs ago used to drive up to the brewery and buy whatever the limit was of Pliny The Elder, and after one trip he gave me a bottle. Very good, but not worth all the hassle to get it.

I am actually surprised how many of the top 50 beers I have had.
Black Lives Matter
disarm

Post by disarm »

Something special tonight...Founders KBS!

This bourbon barrel-aged imperial stout is pretty much perfection in my opinion...a masterful combination of bourbon, coffee, and chocolate that makes for an amazingly smooth beer despite its roughly 12% ABV.

While I usually focus my attention on big IPAs, KBS is really something special and I'll be doing my best to find some every year. Fortunately, getting some this year was as easy stumbling across a 4-pack at Whole Foods (and paying $24)...with several more on the shelf and no purchase limit. I felt lucky to get a single bottle at my local liquor store last year, but I put four in the fridge today!
Last edited by disarm on Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

There's an indie music and craft beer fest in my 'hood tonight and tomorrow. KBS is on the beer schedule to be featured tomorrow at 6 pm. I will be there tonight, though, and at 8 pm, after a 4 mi run/2 mi walk, they are Vasily the Cross Eyed Barrel Aged Stout by Golden Road (13% abv). I wish it were available BEFORE the race because, well, the jogging stroller does have 2 beer cup holders (well 4 actually, but the baby can't be trusted with the two at her level).
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:17 pm There's an indie music and craft beer fest in my 'hood tonight and tomorrow. KBS is on the beer schedule to be featured tomorrow at 6 pm. I will be there tonight, though, and at 8 pm, after a 4 mi run/2 mi walk, they are Vasily the Cross Eyed Barrel Aged Stout by Golden Road (13% abv). I wish it were available BEFORE the race because, well, the jogging stroller does have 2 beer cup holders (well 4 actually, but the baby can't be trusted with the two at her level).
I hate kids that drink my beer.
Black Lives Matter
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I still have never had KBS or even CBS. It's such a big deal every year when it's released and I just need to go down there and get a pint or fill a growler but I never do...
mori

Post by mori »

When I was in Grand Rapids several years ago I assumed that KBS and CBS would be available on every store shelf. It was not and was not even on at the brewery. It was easier to get in Minneapolis and the surrounding suburbs. I will gladly drink either one but I do not think either is worth the cost and effort.