Whatcha drinking?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

Re: Whatcha drinking?

Post by Jeff V »

Aleister IPA from Haymarket Brewery, Bridgman, MI. This is the first I've heard of this brewery, mere minutes from one of my all time favs, Greenbush in Sawyer, MI. And the first impression is good...this is probably very comparable to Greenbush's Star Chicken Shotgun. It has a nice bitterness but the body of a double IPA. It's only a mere 6.5% ABV though, so it qualifies as an ultra lite.

I must seek out more of their beers. They have a pub and brewery in Chicago near where I once worked on west Randolph...not sure if that is more practical than their location near Warren Dunes, but it's something to keep in mind.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Euphoria Pale Ale by Ska Brewing Co., Durango, CO. Billed as a winter seasonal, the bitterness is forward, followed by a clean finish. Not bad, just not as delicious as the Haymarket beer that preceded it. For some reason, they list "love" as an ingredient and, well, I hate that. At a paltry 6.2% ABV, this is something to avoid if getting buzzed is your goal.
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I fucking hate love.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Enlarge Image

Omnipollo Prodromus

"Flavoured extra strong beer: graham cracker chocolate chunk caramel bar stout, 10.5% ABV."

Despite preferring the deepest, darkest roasts of coffee, I still don't greatly enjoy stouts and porters. This one seems ideal for the winter though, and is also a good pick for the cold/chest infection I'm getting over that's dampened my taste buds. I question what constitutes a chocolate "chunk" flavour as opposed to a chocolate chip, shaving, or sauce one.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

My Year Without Beer™ comes to a close in two days. I shall mark the occasion with a bottle of The Calling (Boulevard Brewing).
Holman

Post by Holman »

Grundbegriff wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:53 pm My Year Without Beer™ comes to a close in two days.
Findings??
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Holman wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:30 pm
Grundbegriff wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:53 pm My Year Without Beer™ comes to a close in two days.
Findings??
Easier than expected.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Did about 6 months without beer about 8-9 years ago. Decided life is too short and beer is too delicious to keep depriving myself.

Today I'm having Hazy Little Thing IPA by Sierra Nevada. Almost urine-colored, this unfiltered beer has a nice flavor. The hops are piney but tempered, it doesn't demolish the taste buds. Or may it does, I still have the plague and can't really trust what I taste, I'm just happy to taste something. The top of the can states "Family Owned, Operated & Argued Over." None of this "love" happy horseshit. I like it!
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Call me crazy but Id like some of this.

http://www.gooseisland.com/our-beers/lolita

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Fireside Chat Spiced Holiday Ale by 21st Amendment Brewing. Nice balance of spice, passable ABV of 7.9%, it's the perfect night cap after shoveling snow on a cold night while basking in the warm glow of the computer screen.
Black Lives Matter
mori

Post by mori »

Imperial Porter with coffee and vanilla flavors aged in High West Bourbon & Rye barrels.
Too much vanilla added to this beer that drowns out all the other things in the beer. Glad I only bought a couple of bottles. The label is cool as hell.
mori

Post by mori »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:14 pm Call me crazy but Id like some of this.

http://www.gooseisland.com/our-beers/lolita

Enlarge Image
It is a nice dry beer with some funky raspberry flavors. I only had it once 4 years ago so I am looking at my review I recorded back in the day. I have to be in the right mood to drink an acidic, wild beer nowadays.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Finally got a not-cold enough night to try Harpoon's spring seasonal, which was on the shelves before Christmas. :roll:

Not great, not bad. Decent balance between hops and malt, simple and straightforward, no particular flavor stands out. It's light and refreshing enough that I might like it during actual spring weather. I expect that it will be long gone by the time April finally rolls around. Wish they'd kept Flannel Friday around for a couple more months instead.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Very easy-drinking DIPA that goes down like an average IPA. JeffV will like the 8% ABV but might be disappointed by the absence of boozy flavor, or any strong flavors at all really. Not a bad beer, but not SN's best effort ever. Dunno yet if this will be my spring go-to.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I haven't seen that one in the stores here yet. I will have to look a little closer. The 8% might scare me off though. On those Saturday's when I have a second beer after working in the yard before dinner don't really call for anything at 8%.
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Enlarge Image

Pretty good. Aside from the ABV, this is what I'd like in a session ale.

Really, I'm just glad my cold is finally gone....

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Yeah, that's pretty weak for a scotch ale. Many of the better ones are in the 8-9% range, which makes for a livelier drinking session.

Celebration Ale is still in the grocery stores, and generally on sale so I'm still drinking that. Binny's has a 15% off everything coupon this Saturday, so I'll put together some DYO six packs.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Update for Jeff V: Check out Mariano's for Lagunitas Brown Shugga and/or Undercover Investigation. The former clocks in at 10%, and the latter at 9.7%, and (as of last weekend, anyway), they were on sale for $8.50 for a six pack. They're pretty typical Lagunitas beers (nothing subtle about them) but the price per ABV is hard to beat.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Sadly, Mariano's never made it out this far into the hinterlands. A special trip to the civilized world to find one would negate any saving the sale price would yield.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Dick the Butcher Pale Ale by Burnt City Brewing, Chicago. Urine-colored but flavorful in a tart, citrusy way, it's a nice start to the weekend. Despite the imposing label (it features a cleaver-wielding stupid giant robot who, I presume, is also a dick), this beer meekly qualifies as such with an anemic 5.3% abv.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Maui Gold by Around the Bend Beer Co., Chicago. Don't let the beer color fool you, at 4.5% abv, this is more like malt-infused pineapple juice. It doesn't bring much sweetness though, and is rather bitter, which is nice. It goes well with actual pineapple, of which I just cleaned one.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Slalom King Rye IPA by Crystal Lake Brewing, Crystal Lake, IL. A remarkably smooth beer, flavors resemble a double IPA. This is a nice one to drink all day and at 7.5% abv, there's no real reason not too. Except maybe that I have no more of this delicious beer.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Sam 76. Sam Adams has been pimping this heavily of late. If you think a lager/ale hybrid sounds confused, you'd be right! The flavor is reminiscent of a skunk beer like Heineken. It is urine colored. But my 1 year old approves of the anemic 4.7% abv, she dipped her fingers in the beer 3 times now and seems to like it. That makes one of us.
Black Lives Matter
mori

Post by mori »

Abraxas from Perennial Artisan Ales, St. Louis, MO and weighing in at 10% ABV. One of the more hyped beers today and yet another 'pastry" stout that does not taste like beer. I found it a timid attempt at a Mexican chocolate stout. All cinnamon and no chile flavor or heat. Even the stout flavors were mild.
The more we think of pets as people, the less ethical it is to keep them.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Alterior Motive IPA buy Alter Brewing Co., Downers Grove, IL. The bitterness of inn the background, allowing fruit and floral flavors to stand out. That said, the flavors aren't especially strong. Neither is the alcohol, this sits at 6.7%.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

98 Problems IPA by Perrin Brewing Co., Comstock Park, MI. A sweet, malty IPA reminiscent of several others from Michigan, this is a delicious beer. Good thing it's so smooth going down because are only 6.5% abv, you'll want to drink these twice as fast.
Black Lives Matter
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

everything
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Big Tree Double IPA, But Ok Brewing Co., Columbia, MO. A sweet IPA with a bitter finish. Nice balance, 7.6% abv won't get you into too much trouble.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Amanda IPA, Wiseacre Brewing Co., Memphis, TN. Thoroughly unremarkable, but competent. A forgettable beer, the 6.2% abv doesn't help.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Green Flash contraction
Facing increased competition from more than 6,000 U.S. craft breweries, Green Flash Brewing today announced plans to pull distribution from 33 states in a move that will also include a 15 percent reduction of its workforce.

Speaking with Brewbound, Green Flash co-founder Mike Hinkley said the 15-year-old San Diego-headquartered craft brewery had initially built a 50-state footprint with aspirations of being a “heritage” brand, but as thousands of startup breweries opened their doors, and chipped into Green Flash sales, the company was forced to alter its strategy.
As it retrenches, Green Flash, which also owns Alpine Beer Company, will cede about 18 percent of its wholesale business, Hinkley said.
To supply the remaining 17 states, Green Flash will source production from its two breweries — located in San Diego and Virginia Beach — and distribute to nearby markets. The San Diego facility will ship beer to Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Nebraska, Nevada, Texas, and Utah, while the Virginia Beach brewery will ship products to Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee and Virginia.
Also in 2018, Green Flash will no longer package beer in 22 oz. large-format bottles.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Baked Goods Hoppy Pale Ale by Clown Shoes Beer. I was looking forward to this. I was disappointed. Not sure what variety of hops were used, but it a single note flavor and that flavor was skunk piss. At only 5.5% abv, it probably was.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Brown Shugga Sweet Release by Lagunitas Brewery, Chicago. A tip of the mug to ILB for this suggestion. Brown isn't my favorite beer style but this isn't a brown ale. It is sweet, almost too sweet and that would make it a tough choice for a long drinking session, no matter how well the 10% abv is suited for it. I like it though, so maybe I'll pick up a 6 next time I see it on sale.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

400 Divine Rabbits by Greenbush Brewing Co., Sawyer, MI. It feels like it's been months since I professed my love for this brewery and it's time to do so again. This is a pale ale brewed with agave nectar. The brewmeister did a wonderful job letting the delicate agave flavor shine...the beer is not over hopped and does not stomp on the agave. It's only 6.3%'though, so I recommend chasing this with a nice shot of Don Julio.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

OkOktoberfest Lager by Burnt City Brewing, Chicago. I know what you're thinking..."wtf! Get Jeff a calendar, stat!" But I was at the supermarket early Sunday and they had two six packs marked down to $5 clearance price so I snatched them up. Very nice beer flavored beverage (it's only 5.3%) but worth the price I paid.
Black Lives Matter
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:08 pm Hopothermia double IPA by Alaskan Brewery. I hoped the bitterness would power it's way through my dead tastebuds but it just barely registers. I'm guessing it's smooth, lacking bite of the cloying sweetness sometimes found in this style. 8.5% abv makes it the perfect thing to wash down night time cold meds.
You are correct about the sweetness. Part of the reason I like it.

Currently drinking Tsunamii Pale Ale from Toppling Goliath. Nice hops, not piney (like their Psuedo Sue which I love). Nice lacing. A little sweetness but not much. Got it for half price at HyVee as they are closing it out. Bought two cases.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
mori

Post by mori »

Smuttynose Brewing to be sold at auction.I think we will be seeing more of these type of conclusions coming in the next few years.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I wish I was drinking this.

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

mori wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:26 pm Smuttynose Brewing to be sold at auction.I think we will be seeing more of these type of conclusions coming in the next few years.
Shame, I liked some of their stuff.

In the early days of the microbrew phenomenon, one of my favorite places went tits up. I used to park in a nearby lot and when they had an open house prior to the auction , I took in a tour of the place. There was the ornate copper brewing tank visible in the main restaurant, what was not visible was about 30 or 40 200-500 gallon tanks in the basement. I had some idea what some of the stuff costs, and while the place seemed popular enough it's no surprise the profits couldn't pay off that original investment.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Smutty was early to the craft beer movement so it's sad to see them go. But they have been eclipsed by better breweries, and the market isn't big enough for everyone, although gods know I do my part. Here's hoping they are revitalized like Otter Creek was when Long Trail bought them, and they aren't swallered up by a conglomerate.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

mori wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:26 pm Smuttynose Brewing to be sold at auction.I think we will be seeing more of these type of conclusions coming in the next few years.
I live near and traverse a California wine district several times a year. Wineries are always coming and going. The Grocery Outlet stores around here have sections were they are often selling off the stock of wineries that no longer exist. Someone else buys the plant and inventory and then dumps the inventory for quick cash.

Beer doesn't have the shelf life so you don't see that happen, plus the industry is still expanding but there is no reason to think that the current brewery growth will continue forever.
Black Lives Matter