Whatcha drinking?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

noxiousdog

Re: Whatcha drinking?

Post by noxiousdog »

Holman wrote:Here's a drinking thread question: How long does beer stay good?

I have a case of Dogfish dated 6/16/2012. (I haven't had it that long, but apparently it sat it sat in the beer warehouse for a while.) I'm kind of kicking myself for not checking the date before I bought it.

Anyway, I've had one of these beers and it seemed like any other Dogfish. My question is how long beer lasts.
Commercial beer? Nearly forever as long as it isn't stored at a high temperature. Any mass produced beer like that is going to be pasturized.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

mori wrote:
Gavin wrote:
Holman wrote:I am reassured about my beer!

I've been told that a "skunked" beer is the worst thing you can taste. I've never had the experience. I've tasted some pretty awful stuff, but it was just cheap.
I've had some french beers that tasted that way. It tastes like a skunk smells. It isn't dangerous at least, just awful.
If it comes in a clear or green bottle, chances are that it is "skunked". Never, ever buy any beer in a clear or green bottle. You are buying marketing and not beer because the brewers know better.
ALL commercial beers are marketing. That's not to say they all taste the same, but it's remarkably easy to brew good beer. It's really, really hard to get it sold though.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

J made Irish cream. It's really good.

http://www.cupcakeproject.com/2009/12/h ... youll.html" target="_blank

Our modifications to use what was on hand:
old-fashioned whipping cream (very heavy)
sweetened condensed milk comes in ~10oz cans, so we just used one can
Writer's Tears Irish whiskey
chocolate syrup was a gourmet coffee flavouring variety (not Torani, but similar), though we could have tried Quik
no almond extract
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
mori

Post by mori »

noxiousdog wrote:

I have a case of Dogfish dated 6/16/2012. (I haven't had it that long, but apparently it sat it sat in the beer warehouse for a while.) I'm kind of kicking myself for not checking the date before I bought it.

Anyway, I've had one of these beers and it seemed like any other Dogfish. My question is how long beer lasts.
Commercial beer? Nearly forever as long as it isn't stored at a high temperature. Any mass produced beer like that is going to be pasturized.
Incorrect. Dogfish Head does not pasturize their beer.

http://www.brew-monkey.com/articles/interview.php?id=2

There are a lot of breweries that do not pasturize. Even Miller Brewing does not pasturize all their beer.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Went to the Hingham outlet of Boston Brewing Co for dinner tonight to use the $30 worth of credit that was posted on our loyalty cards. (Boston Brewing Co has the best loyalty program ever.) My loyal followers will recall that the BBC's brown ale was among my favorites at the big fall tasting two weeks ago, but so far it's only available in their restaurants, so I was looking forward to that. But first I had to try their monthly specials.

The rye lager was merely ok -- not much of a rye flavor to it. Jack's Abbey's hugely popular Hoponius Union IPL kicked off something of a lager renaissance in these parts -- lately everybody is brewing a big strong lager. BBC's effort was a nice try, but it missed the mark.

The other rotating beer was a harvest ale brewed in their Salem outlet, and friends, it was awful. I can't remember the last time I left a beer unfinished, but I couldn't even get through half of this pint. I carefully re-read all of their beer descriptions twice to see if I'd been served the wrong beer. It had a strong grapefruit/citrus odor and aftertaste that didn't match the description at all. Maybe it came from the hops, since it was described as a hoppy brown ale. Whatever imparted that grapefruit taste was just plain nasty. I even wondered if it had spoiled.

Fortunately, the Bucket Town Brown was good enough to mostly wipe out the nastiness of the harvest ale. I say "mostly" because I'm still belching up grapefruit. I don't mind some citrus in a wheat beer or summer ale, but it was completely misplaced in a brown.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

silverjon wrote:J made Irish cream. It's really good.

http://www.cupcakeproject.com/2009/12/h ... youll.html" target="_blank

Our modifications to use what was on hand:
old-fashioned whipping cream (very heavy)
sweetened condensed milk comes in ~10oz cans, so we just used one can
Writer's Tears Irish whiskey
chocolate syrup was a gourmet coffee flavouring variety (not Torani, but similar), though we could have tried Quik
no almond extract
Tried the "Kahlua" recipe from the same blog, and that also turned out well.
http://www.cupcakeproject.com/2009/12/h ... orite.html" target="_blank
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

noxiousdog wrote:

Pasteurization is not good for aging. Non-pasteurized beers can continue to condition and develop.

Ale
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

I think the point there wasn't that a pasteurized beer would age well, but that it at least shouldn't skunk easily (though I don't know if that's factual).
wot?

Gavin

Post by Gavin »

noxiousdog wrote:
mori wrote:If it comes in a clear or green bottle, chances are that it is "skunked". Never, ever buy any beer in a clear or green bottle. You are buying marketing and not beer because the brewers know better.
ALL commercial beers are marketing. That's not to say they all taste the same, but it's remarkably easy to brew good beer. It's really, really hard to get it sold though.
I think the point is that clear and green bottles do not preserve the beer as long as dark bottled beers do.

I wouldn't discount beers just because of the bottle. But if I don't plan on drinking the beer in a couple weeks I would avoid non-dark glass bottles.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

silverjon wrote:I think the point there wasn't that a pasteurized beer would age well, but that it at least shouldn't skunk easily (though I don't know if that's factual).
It isn't. Skunked beers are also called light-struck. It's the result of ultraviolet light degrading some of the hop compounds. It doesn't have anything to do with pasteurization, and that's why brown glass is best at limiting it.

Ale
mori

Post by mori »

Holman wrote:I am reassured about my beer!

I've been told that a "skunked" beer is the worst thing you can taste. I've never had the experience. I've tasted some pretty awful stuff, but it was just cheap.
Not sure what Dogfish Head beer you bought but if it is 60 or 90 Minute, the sooner the better. Hoppy beers like those are best drunk fresh. Most other beers usually last some time. The general rule is that higher the ABV, the longer it will last and possibly improve with age.

"Skunked" beer is not the worst thing you can taste in beer. I have tasted plenty of crap beers. If you never experienced it before, drink a Heineken. If it is from a bottle, I can almost guarantee it is skunked. It is not suppose to taste that way. Over on the west side of the Atlantic, green and clear bottles are perceived to be upscale, or higher quality. It is a completely false perception as Heineken in Europe comes in brown bottles and tastes like a decent beer. Drink a bottle then have it on-tap or from a can. It is not a horrible beer when it is not skunked.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

mori wrote: Over on the west side of the Atlantic, green and clear bottles are perceived to be upscale, or higher quality. It is a completely false perception
When I was doing research (reading Wiki) to write the text for ruby glass jewelry, I learned that Europeans started bottling in clear and green glass due to a shortage of amber glass during WW2. At that time, imports were superior to mass-produced American beers, so we came to associate clear and green bottles with better beer.

I also learned that red glass is best of all for preservation, but it didn't catch on because Americans resist novelty. I never did find out why brown glass was in short supply during the war -- presumably it's because nickel is one of the coloring ingredients.

On topic, I'm drinking Harpoon's Rye IPA tonight.
mori

Post by mori »

Kraken wrote:
mori wrote: Over on the west side of the Atlantic, green and clear bottles are perceived to be upscale, or higher quality. It is a completely false perception
When I was doing research (reading Wiki) to write the text for ruby glass jewelry, I learned that Europeans started bottling in clear and green glass due to a shortage of amber glass during WW2. At that time, imports were superior to mass-produced American beers, so we came to associate clear and green bottles with better beer.

I also learned that red glass is best of all for preservation, but it didn't catch on because Americans resist novelty. I never did find out why brown glass was in short supply during the war -- presumably it's because nickel is one of the coloring ingredients.

On topic, I'm drinking Harpoon's Rye IPA tonight.
I am curious if these European lagers were really superior to American beer at this time. Sure American beer was not what it was before prohibition. but I have to assume that war time shortages also affected quality of European beers a lot. I wonder if it was just GI's wanting to remember their European exploits. Now we are stuck with inferior beers such as green bottled Heineken, Beck's and Stella Artois.

On topic, I am drinking Hinterland Oktoberfest. Oktoberfests drink just fine in November.

Edit: I should say on this special day, salute to all veterans on this day. Thank you.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

In my early beer career, American premium beers were Michelob, Miller High Life, and...um...Coors, I guess -- it wasn't sold east of the Mississippi, so it was almost an import itself. Those were about as good as American beer got in the early 70s. Everyday beers like Hamms, Strohs, Schlitz, Pabst, Bud, Falstaff, Old Milwaukee, Busch, and a few others were real swill, although we didn't really know much better. Imports like Tuborg and Heineken were special (and expensive). Even Canadian beers like Molson and Moosehead were a step up.

Those were dark days. It's a wonder I ever acquired a taste for beer at all. You kids who were weened in the 80s and later don't know how good you had it.
mori

Post by mori »

Drank an August Schell Chimney Sweep. It is a black, German lager that just blew me away. It is smokey with some roasted malt all within a rather modest ABV level. I did not care for their last couple releases such as the fresh Citra-hopped pilsner or their Biere de Noel. The only sad part is that they discontinued to brew their stout to make room for these new beers. I loved the stout as it made a great base for a coffee cocktail.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Knocked back a DFH Burton Baton this evening. Good stuff.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Sabassis

Post by Sabassis »

Just got back from the Domican Republic where i drank alot of Presidente and Bohemian Beer.

Also, just finished off two bottles of Malbec with my wife and mom at dinner. Love malbec wine.

Now at home, drinking some "Bear Hug Espresso Vodka" with water. Bought a bottle at the duty free shop, liked the taste when i drank a shot of it.
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

At a Wood N Tap eating some nachos and had a nice glass of merlot then changed over to Sierra because I have to police myself. Husband and I went our separate ways during the 1 to 4 open house.

Got a nice section, corner bar, good keep and the other bar folks are watching football. Nice music and it's been one of those weeks (thus the policing). God bless technology, electricity and OO. Feeling groovy.
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Last night a friend brought over a bottle of mead (a fermented honey beverage). It's not terribly sweet and has a subtle apple flavor to it -- better than expected. Reminded me more of brandy than anything else. It won't supplant whiskey in my affections, but I'll probably finish the bottle.

It took me back to high school science class, where me and some friends used an ancient recipe to distill mead as an advanced chemistry project. Ours was pretty awful, but getting extra credit for making alcohol at school seemed pretty cool to us 16-year-olds.

Schools were a lot more laid-back in the 70s.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Now you can play Skyrim like a pro.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Sabassis

Post by Sabassis »

Just to show im a drunk, Malibu rum and coke while watching the bears get crushed.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Kraken wrote:In my early beer career, American premium beers were Michelob, Miller High Life, and...um...Coors, I guess -- it wasn't sold east of the Mississippi, so it was almost an import itself.
Enlarge Image
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

I'm happy to repot that Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale is on the shelves! They have used their less hopped recipe (for SNCA) this year.
Black Lives Matter

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

noxiousdog wrote:I'm happy to repot that Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale is on the shelves! They have used their less hopped recipe (for SNCA) this year.
Yeah, the only problem is that it's so smooth-drinking that I can suck down too many too fast. Really excellent beer.
mori

Post by mori »

Enjoying a Clown Shoes Tramp Stamp. I really, really, like this beer. Awesome citrus and spice flavor. But I like Belgian style beers.

Post by Default »

Out of Hoegaarden, my normal everyday beer. Have some Peroni, but not too impressed with that. Have to take a ride to the local specialty beer store, or just make the pilgrimage to Jersey. :roll:
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
WPD

Post by WPD »

Kraken wrote:
noxiousdog wrote:I'm happy to repot that Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale is on the shelves! They have used their less hopped recipe (for SNCA) this year.
Yeah, the only problem is that it's so smooth-drinking that I can suck down too many too fast. Really excellent beer.
:horse:
Later ya'll.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I just bought a variety case of Flying Fish ales: Hopfish IPA, Extra Pale Ale, Red Fish, and Abbey Dubbel. I've tasted all four now. They're good beers, especially for the price.

I'm really enjoying the Abbey Dubbel best. This surprised me, since I'm usually an IPA lover first. Darker beers normally turn me off, but this one has a nice chewy wine taste to it. I didn't expect it.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I bought some Kraken rum this week. Just added some to my egg nog and soaked some Maraschino Cherries in it last night and took them to Thanksgiving Dinner. They had quite a kick to them.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
dobberhd

Post by dobberhd »

mori wrote:Drank an August Schell Chimney Sweep. It is a black, German lager that just blew me away. It is smokey with some roasted malt all within a rather modest ABV level. I did not care for their last couple releases such as the fresh Citra-hopped pilsner or their Biere de Noel. The only sad part is that they discontinued to brew their stout to make room for these new beers. I loved the stout as it made a great base for a coffee cocktail.
Tried a Chimney Sweep today. Very nice. Would definitely pick it up again.

I agree the Stout was good. My favorite is still Schell's Dark, though. Quite a bit of flavor with less alcohol.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Treating myself to some Jack's Abbey Hoponius Union tonight. It's more expensive than my usual fare and only intermittently available, so I regard it as a holiday/special occasion beer.
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

KKBlue wrote:Drinking water but in my mind it's a home made margarita.

Ice in a big tall glass, glass stirrer
About 1/2 organic lemonade
2oz or more of blanco/silver 100% agave tequila
Splash (1oz or 2) of triple sec
Splash (about 1oz) of limoncello
Squirt (over 2oz) of Real Lemon
Squirt (little less than 2oz) of Real Lime
Top off with lemonade if there is room

This mix has made me more friends and helped me keep friends and family I already have ;) The measurements are not exact because it will taste about the same as long as it's in the ballpark.
Going to actually drink... tired of getting plastered in my mind. It's time for me to bring my dreams into reality.
:horse:
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Got some Cascadian Dark Ale from the neighborhood brewery in the kegerator, and 5 gallons of cider fermenting.

Ale
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

Birra Moretti LaRossa

Local place has it for a buck a bottle, so i grabbed a bunch.

Name the 3 branches of the US Government: "Judicial, legislative....I can twerk"
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I tried the Jack Daniels Tennessee Honey Whiskey last night. I thought it was quite tasty.

I have always been a fan of Honey based drinks, I enjoy mead quite a lot, and have an intimate relationship with Baerenjeager

On a slightly related note, age walls on web sites are a completely stupid idea serving no other purpose than to piss me off.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

Friend of mine turned me on to Founder's Breakfast Stout, picked up a four-pack over the weekend. Wow. This is the stout I've been looking for.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Found a open case of Negra Modelo at work. its been in a drawer for at least six months, maybe longer. Have not tried one yet, took it home and put it in the fridge. Six months is a short estimate, it might be a year old, but it has been in a dark place with very little temperature change. Any guesses about its current quality? COnsider that I normally enjoy it, and often order it when I am out for dinner.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Currently: Licor 43 and egg nog.

Since Licor 43 is a vanilla based liqueur it mixes very well with egg nog.

The wife has been experimenting with a couple of martini apps she downloaded so we have an ever growing collection of flavored vodkas and other potent potables.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Brian wrote:Since Licor 43 is a vanilla based liqueur it mixes very well with egg nog.
How about a Lil' beer? (I have a weakness for all things ')
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Brian

Post by Brian »

Neat.

I'll have to try that.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln