Whatcha drinking?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: Whatcha drinking?

Post by Isgrimnur »

Aside from the common ingredient, I can’t find much to suggest a stronger connection
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:00 pm (and, at $2.99 per 24-pk case, Fox Deluxe!)
My mother, who was not a discerning beer connoisseur, used to make fun of Fox Deluxe, which was brewed in our hometown. "Brewed on Tuesday and sold on Wednesday," she'd laugh, because most people back then thought that beer should age, like wine or whisky. The internet tells me the GR brewery closed in 1951. It also tells me that Fox outsold Miller in 1944. Huh.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

That's okay. I'll certainly never seek it out. That particular nephew got married a month ago and was allegedly disappointed I didn't attend (but he's the one who banned his cousins via a "no children" edict). Given the closeness of my family, he'll toast it at my funeral. My family only ever really gets together when there's a corpse in the room.

My wife is still trying to understand that...but when she found out we couldn't bring the kids to his wedding, her excitement at participating in a positive family event from my family evaporated instantly. I'm not sure why it bothers her when she is unwilling to make any sacrifice at all to make it so.
Black Lives Matter
mori

Post by mori »

I thought Chicago is where all Malort is consumed. I certainly never seen it in my neck of the woods.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jeppson's Malört is a Chicago-based brand of Bäsk.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

mori wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:33 pm I thought Chicago is where all Malort is consumed. I certainly never seen it in my neck of the woods.
i dunno. I likely never would have heard of it if not for college-age nephews. The Jagermeister craze hit after I was in college and the one and only time I tried it, it was pretty awful -- I think it comparable. Except they had a nice set of spokes....er....women. In my younger days, it was Southern Comfort, and that got quickly out of my rotation after getting sick on it once.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Malort is a big Chicago thing. A "Chicago handshake" is a shot of Malort and an Old Style.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Chocolate Babka Pastry Stout by Campanology Brewing, Waunakee, WI. I needed lots chocolate stout for a big vat of chili I'm making today, and I'm not fond of paying too much for cooking booze so at $4/bomber at Trader Joes, this was exactly what I needed.

The flavor is pretty close to Boulder Shake, but in stout form (the latter is a porter). Servicing suggestion is over ice cream or with a slice of babka, but thanks to its 10% ABV it does just fine on it's own. I used all but a couple of ounces in the chili...in a few hours I'll check and see how that is coming along.
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Your chili has chocolate stout in it, Jeff? Sounds amazing.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Rumpy wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:57 pm Your chili has chocolate stout in it, Jeff? Sounds amazing.
Usually it is, although this batch didn't turn out so well. I used an electric roaster for a quadruple batch, but the ingredient scaling didn't work quite right, it was a little thin and salty. Usually it's thick and sweet. I don't think the chocolate stout was part of the problem, but you couldn't really tell.

Next week I'll make a single batch which will certainly turn out fine. If I enter a local competition in a few weeks, I will probably do multiple single batches and get a crock pot to load them into once complete.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

IPA by Wild Range Brewing Co., Rochester, NY. It's a beer I never had before -- at the bargain price of $8/6 at Aldi of all places. At that price, how could I not try it? This is a standard, ILB-friendly piney IPA, no juicy contrivance or undue cloudiness. 6.9% ABV is typical for it's ilk, the price point makes it more palatable. I don't shop at Aldi often, but this is a good reason to do so.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Sconnie Hazy Hop by Wisconsin Dells Brewing Co., Lake Delton, WI. I picked up a 6 of this while at local liquor store on our semi-annual indoor water park trip. Then last night I had it on draft at Moosejaw Pizza. Had these events been reversed, I likely would not have bought a 6. Oh well, at least it's cheap and the 7.8% ABV is not bad for the price point. Otherwise, it's a hazy, not juicy beer that just doesn't have all that much flavor. Wisconsin is the birthplace of bad beer, though (to be sure, there are fine breweries there), so I'm not surprised winding up with a dud.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

BTW, Celebration Ale is still available in local supermarkets. Bought a 12 the other day.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Needed to put myself in a proper state of mind to see the Sonic movie. Picked up some pizza then took the kiddies to Flight Bottle Shop.

Workingman's Nitro Cream Ale by Single Cut Beersmiths, Astoria, NY. Should have had this earlier and not following two stout flavor bombs. The only real problem I had was the anemic 5.6ABV, but I was too lazy to walk to the water cooler. Odd thing about this one was when poured, the glass was 80% head. When it settled, it was still a full glass.

Barrel Aged Asmodeus Coffee Stout, Metal Monkey Brewing, Romeoville, IL. I've enjoyed everything I've had from this brewery, one of these days I need to drag along a minion when lives in Romeoville and works at my Bolingbrook office. He's been there before. 10.1% ABV, nice coffee flavor without tasting burnt. Probably would go well with the chili I'm making tomorrow.

Big Hugs American Imperial Stout by Half Acre Brewing, Chicago. Slightly less flavorful than the Metal Monkey stout, but still a good one. 10.0% ABV.

Negative Thoughts DIPA by Arrowhead Ales, New Lenox, IL. Nice, fruity, NEIPA, brewed with mango and pineapple. 8.5% ABV

Galaxy Vice NEIPA by Penrose Brewing, Geneva, IL. Another brewery along my route to work, this been has deep flavor, not particularly juicy but good bitterness. 7.5% ABV
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Buttermilk.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Black Chocolate Stout by Brooklyn Brewing, New York. I needed a chocolate stout for my chili, and while I had already settled on this one, I asked the owner at Flight Bottle Shop for recommendation and this was it. The 10% ABV is rather lost on the cooking process but I only needed half a bottle for the chili. Chili was excellent, the chocolate in this stout is dark and bitter, not sweet, and worked perfectly in the chili and was nice to drink as well.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Planet Lovetron NEIPA by Revision Brewing, Sparks, NV. A fine sample of it's ilk, the 6.5% ABV is on the ultra-light side, but the flavor is nice. Sold in an inexpensive pounder.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Tomorrow Rye IPA by Forge Brewhouse, DeKalb, IL. Finally something out of DeKalb other than bad college sports teams! This middling rye IPA is a step up on the social scale for them. Baby steps, though, I'm sure most of their regular customers are still infants, accounting for the meager 6.3% ABV. Nice color, and while the flavor is not particularly defined, it is not unpleasant.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Lucifer in a Haze NEDIPA by 18th St. Brewing, Hammond, IN. Slightly chunky, color is akin to yeast-infected urine. Not much flavor, though. Not fruity. Not bitter. Not much of anything. 8.4% ABV is a little something, but not all that remarkable. Cool can, though.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

My packy gets Lawson's Sip of Sunshine semi-regularly now. With a one 4-pack limit, it's a weekly treat. Tonight's that night.
mori

Post by mori »

Gone Hollywood from Junkyard Brewing, Moorhead, MN. Moorhead is opposite Fargo, ND separated by the Red River. This brewery has gained some local hype by brewing hazy so I usually skip them. But a new shipment of crowlers came in and I saw West Coast IPA on the label and got excited. No need to. Although it does have nice pine and citrus hop aromas and flavors, there is no malt to speak of but yet it is still sweet with very little bitterness. Because of beers like this, I have drank more Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale this season then in years.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

mori wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:26 pm Because of beers like this, I have drank more Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale this season then in years.
Ditto, also because it seemed much more available this year. I swear, 75% of the selection anywhere I go is juicy, hazy, or tropical. When the craft revolution started I used to appreciate a hint of banana or pineapple you'd get from an estery fermentation, but now it's like getting smacked in the mouth with a bag of Sunny D Tropical Punch.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

A 22oz bomber of Barrel Crusher double rye IPA aged in whiskey barrels from Deep Ellum Brewing

"100+ IBUs", "13% Alc. by vol. "
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:12 pm A 22oz bomber of Barrel Crusher double rye IPA aged in whiskey barrels from Deep Ellum Brewing

"100+ IBUs", "13% Alc. by vol. "
Sounds like a fantastic session beer!
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Come on down!

Enlarge Image
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Aww, man! A good drinking session lasts at least until 2 am!
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Hops of No Light DIPA by Metal Monkey Brewing, Romeoville, IL. Another winner from what is quickly becoming a favorite. A mix of 3 hops give it complex flavor, 92 IBU gives it bite, the 10.1% ABV is suitable for all-day drinking, and the can sports a naked winged demoness. This beer is actually brewed in collaboration with a record label (Prosthetic Records), one, presumably specializing in metal.
Black Lives Matter
mori

Post by mori »

Visited my favorite MN brewery since it is their Barrel-Age Week. Town Hall Brewery in Minneapolis don't do hazy or pastry so they have fallen out of favor of hipsters. But they do classic American and European styles simply the best in the upper Midwest. The double bourbon-aged milk stout was simply a thing of beauty. The Buffalo Trace-aged weizenbock was another personal favorite.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

mori wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:58 pm Visited my favorite MN brewery since it is their Barrel-Age Week. Town Hall Brewery in Minneapolis don't do hazy or pastry so they have fallen out of favor of hipsters. But they do classic American and European styles simply the best in the upper Midwest. The double bourbon-aged milk stout was simply a thing of beauty. The Buffalo Trace-aged weizenbock was another personal favorite.
I haven't heard of them...maybe their distribution network is lacking? Once I feel I've sufficiently bonded with the owner of Flight Bottle Shoppe, I''ll start making requests of brews/breweries posted here and see what he can do.
Black Lives Matter
mori

Post by mori »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:36 pm
mori wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:58 pm Visited my favorite MN brewery since it is their Barrel-Age Week. Town Hall Brewery in Minneapolis don't do hazy or pastry so they have fallen out of favor of hipsters. But they do classic American and European styles simply the best in the upper Midwest. The double bourbon-aged milk stout was simply a thing of beauty. The Buffalo Trace-aged weizenbock was another personal favorite.
I haven't heard of them...maybe their distribution network is lacking? Once I feel I've sufficiently bonded with the owner of Flight Bottle Shoppe, I''ll start making requests of brews/breweries posted here and see what he can do.
Sorry about lack of information. Town Hall Brewery has been in operation since 1998 but Minnesota liquor laws prevent brewpubs from distributing their beer off-sale. The only way to drink their beer is to come to one of their Minneapolis metro area pubs. They did have one of the top rated American IPAs on Beer Advocate and Rate Beer until hazy swept the nation. Now it has dropped down in the teens.
Last edited by mori on Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Ah, too bad, didn't realize the state was so anti-commerce. I wonder what's the rationale about not wanting their micros to be more successful?
Black Lives Matter
mori

Post by mori »

Powerful 3-tier liquor lobbies.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Hmm...seems more like a powerful temperance lobby. You'd think a booze lobby would be all for fewer to no restrictions.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

They’re corporate lobbies, not industry lobbies.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Liquor is not beer.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Alefroth wrote:Liquor is not beer.
Hmmm. Malt Liquor?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Pyperkub wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:04 pm
Alefroth wrote:Liquor is not beer.
Hmmm. Malt Liquor?
Not distilled.
mori

Post by mori »

Some MN brewpubs are getting around our archaic laws by going over to WI and either setting up a satellite brewing operation or having an existing brewery contract brew beer for them and shipping it back to MN and sold under a different company name. It should all be unnecessary if our laws got on track. We are slowly getting rid of these stupid laws.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

MA has similar laws dating to the end of Prohibition. They created strong distributors to separate producers from retailers and prevent vertical monopolies. Now the distributors are the kingpins who define the industry -- they decide which brews a retailer can get, and in what quantity, and where it's displayed. Once a brewer signs on with a distributor, that relationship is nearly impossible to terminate. That exclusivity was weakened recently for microbrewers, but a lot of startups choose to do their own distribution until they get so big that they're forced to join a cartel.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Dairy Farm Imperial Milk Stout by Oswego Brewing Co., Oswego, IL. Last time I was at Flight, I told the owner I was looking for chocolate stouts to use in chili. He recommended two - the first, Brooklyn, made for an excellent chili that my wife called my best ever. Today, in honor of the last day with a high temp below freezing for at least the two weeks, I'm trying this one from our next door neighbor, Oswego Brewing. This beer is perfectly black with no head, and has a bitter dark chocolate flavor -- perfect for what I need. I only need 1/3 of the pounder for the chili, so I'm enjoying the rest of this 12.5% ABV beer while assembling the chili. Will report back on the results in 3 hours or so.
Black Lives Matter