Whatcha drinking?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LordMortis

Re: Whatcha drinking?

Post by LordMortis »

Sudy Nym wrote:Sadly, I can't really remember what Hires tasted like, but this is good stuff. The alcohol is fairly muted (I don't really care one way or the other).
Hire's Root Beer
is showing up everywhere
And after one taste
A foamy mustache is there.

Hires was really good in the 70s. Not as good as A&W made fresh from an A&W car hop restaurant in a frosted mug but it was good.

Or was that 'Cause after one taste? Stupid memory.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

We made root beer from a kit over the weekend. It's surprisingly good! Not the best root beer I've ever had, but far from the worst.

And now I have 2 gallons of root beer to drink.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Enlarge Image

Holy crap... ladies and gentlemen, we have a new candidate for (one of) Sudy's favourite beer(s)!

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

My wife's work gave the employees and +1s entry to the Texas Package Stores Association convention in Fort Worth. I got to try a number of things that I never would have had I not gone. I have learned that I like gin, and would totally be down for some bloody Marys.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Westbrook's Key Lime Pie is... quite something. Very sour, well-balanced with some sweetness, and I'm pretty sure there's beer in there somewhere. I actually quite like it, but I wouldn't drink more than one at a time, because the flavor is so concentrated.

Enlarge Image
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

AWS260 wrote:Westbrook's Key Lime Pie is... quite something. Very sour, well-balanced with some sweetness, and I'm pretty sure there's beer in there somewhere. I actually quite like it, but I wouldn't drink more than one at a time, because the flavor is so concentrated.

Enlarge Image
I wonder if Binny's by me carries this. I'm going to a "bring a pie" party tomorrow and planned to make key lime pie. It would be funny to just hand the host a six pack of this instead. :lol:
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

DKML by Founders Brewery, Grand Rapids, MI. This is a nice session beer, assuming your session only lasts 2 beers. You might be thinking, wow, Jeff's wife is putting the smackdown again and you wouldn't be all that incorrect. But in this case, it's the store that's the culprit. Binny's had a 2-bottle limit. I suppose I could have traveled from store to store, but drinking this 14.2% ABV en route is probably a bad idea.

The beer itself has a marked sweetness common with high ABV beers. Any flavor the bourbon barrels added were lost on my palate...the sweetness was pretty overpowering and the rest of the flavor profile muted. That made it easy to drink...I probably could drink enough of them to make my legs disappear. Likely won't spend the $5 per 12 oz bottle for another, though.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Wife was lucky to acquire me a bottle for Sunday's episode. From my (probably faulty) memory, this is the best I can recall of Ommegang's offerings in this line.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
mori

Post by mori »

Jeff V wrote:DKML by Founders Brewery, Grand Rapids, MI. This is a nice session beer, assuming your session only lasts 2 beers. You might be thinking, wow, Jeff's wife is putting the smackdown again and you wouldn't be all that incorrect. But in this case, it's the store that's the culprit. Binny's had a 2-bottle limit. I suppose I could have traveled from store to store, but drinking this 14.2% ABV en route is probably a bad idea.

The beer itself has a marked sweetness common with high ABV beers. Any flavor the bourbon barrels added were lost on my palate...the sweetness was pretty overpowering and the rest of the flavor profile muted. That made it easy to drink...I probably could drink enough of them to make my legs disappear. Likely won't spend the $5 per 12 oz bottle for another, though.
Having a Dick Kick Malt Liquor. Surprisingly easy to drink. I expected it to be harsh and hot, but it is smooth and well balanced. I am getting nice bourbon and oak flavors. No doubt if someone drank a 4-pack of this, their legs would disappear. Thankfully the brewer chose to put this in 12 oz bottles instead of 750 ml or 22 oz bottles. One 12 oz bottle should be the limit for the night. I spent $14 for a 4-pack and will be enjoyed on 4 different occasions.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

mori wrote:
Jeff V wrote:DKML by Founders Brewery, Grand Rapids, MI. This is a nice session beer, assuming your session only lasts 2 beers. You might be thinking, wow, Jeff's wife is putting the smackdown again and you wouldn't be all that incorrect. But in this case, it's the store that's the culprit. Binny's had a 2-bottle limit. I suppose I could have traveled from store to store, but drinking this 14.2% ABV en route is probably a bad idea.

Having a Dick Kick Malt Liquor. Surprisingly easy to drink. I expected it to be harsh and hot, but it is smooth and well balanced. I am getting nice bourbon and oak flavors. No doubt if someone drank a 4-pack of this, their legs would disappear. Thankfully the brewer chose to put this in 12 oz bottles instead of 750 ml or 22 oz bottles. One 12 oz bottle should be the limit for the night. I spent $14 for a 4-pack and will be enjoyed on 4 different occasions.
Hey, if 40oz works for OE800, it should work for Dick Kick too.

I did notice the Founders is now available in 4 packs as well, around the same $14 price point. Not particularly interested; I don't really need to rush to a buzz ever, and the flavor wasn't compelling enough to savor any longer than it takes to drink a regular beer.
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Enlarge Image

Really excellent... I may have to make it part of my regular rotation.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Sad that there were only two cans of the above left on the shelf when I went to the store yesterday. I really hope they get some more in. :(

Enlarge Image

Pretty good, but not really my thing. The citrus notes are great though.

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Point Mixed IPA 12-pack, Point Brewery, Stevens Point, WI. We back before time, that's to say before craft beer became all the rage, small breweries offered up essentially MOTS in competition with mass-market dreck. Point Brewery was slightly better than most, and I recall them offering a slightly more flavorful Bock beer back when that was the epitome of specialty beer. In recent years, they've attempted to redefine themselves as a craft brewer -- with mixed results. Generally speaking, their offerings have been bland -- as if pandering to their Miller Lite Alternative base rather than something that stands out on it's own accord.

Happily, they are getting better. This mix pack of IPAs is closer to Sam Adams in quality as opposed to Old Style. The Mango Peach IPA is not subtle and tastes of juice, but the rest of the pack is ok. Spruce Tip isn't as piney as some, their white and red IPAs are competent. On sale for $12/12, it is budget-friendly too.

Sadly, they appear to have no ABV, which probably accounts for the mysterious disappearance of 9 of the 12 bottles from the cooler on Saturday. Yes, I'm blaming the children for drinking them all.
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

On this eclipse trip, I managed to try a few interesting beers.

1. Johnny Blood Red, a Red Ale from a Wisconsin Brewery. It was pretty good, and in fact only got better as it went along. It had a bit of a smoky flavour to it, but that might be my imagination.

2. New Belgium Voodoo Ranger Atomic Pumpkin. I haven't had all that many pumpkin beers, but this one was very interesting and a standout of this trip. It has habanero in it, and I was skeptical that it would work, let alone with the pumpkin spices, but this beer kicks ass. You get the pumpkin spices and then a little warmth from the pepper kicks in in the back of the throat, building up with each sip. Somehow, it all ends up complementing each other very nicely.

3. Rickard's Grapefruit Radler. Crossing back into Canada, gave this one a try. Never had a Radler before, but very refreshing. Would definitely get it again.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Pretty good. At 12% ABV I don't want many of these. At $15/4-pack of 12 oz cans I can't afford many of these.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Sudy Nym wrote:Enlarge Image

Really excellent... I may have to make it part of my regular rotation.
I just came across a short online film that goes with that.

(It's actually rather affecting.)
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Ahh yes, the Lancaster Bomber is one of my favourites. Sadly, I only ever see this beer rarely at the LCBO. I consider it a cousin to the Spitfire in terms of beer. Spitfire is more common, but Lancaster Bomber is the better beer.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
mori

Post by mori »

Fulton Hopstar Session IPA. I am generally not a session IPA fan, but this 4.9% ABV packs a lot of flavor and body and keeps the palate interested. Unlike last weekend when I was drinking Founders All Day IPA. After a few of those I was bored and left wanting for something else to wake up the palate.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

mori wrote:Unlike last weekend when I was drinking Founders All Day IPA. After a few of those I was bored and left wanting for something else to wake up the palate.
The most attractive thing about that beer is the price...it comes in 15 packs for the price of most 12 packs. But Trader Joes does better on the cheap craft beers, they have full octane offerings at 18 for the price of an All Day 15 pack.

Cool temps this weekend made fall beers (on the shelf for the past month) an attractive buy. I bought a few:

Sierra Oktoberfest - another German collaboration as they've been doing the past few years. This was better than previous offerings - 6 tentacles.

Sam Adams - Good caramel flavors, still my favorite of their seasonals. 7 tentacles.

Goose Island Fest Bier - slightly better than their old Harvest Ale. 5 tentacles

Revoluition Oktoberfest - the most expense of the lot, hoppier than the others, but not worth the price. 5 tentacles

Shiner Oktoberfest - the cheapest of the loot, and vague flavors to show for it. 4 tentacles.

I need to finish these before the next round. I'll be in Cheeseland next weekend and see what I can find there. Also looking forward to Two Brother's Atom Smasher. On tap, Gordon Biersch is having their fest beer tapping party next week - not sure I can make it there for that. I think it's the day before the Wisconsin trip.
Black Lives Matter
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

I've been on a Jack's Abby kick lately, mostly driven by the their Lager's being $10 for a tall boy six pack and their mix packs sometimes being on sale. Their Black Lager, 'Smoke And Dagger,' is probably my favorite. Their fall beer, 'Copper Legend,' is out but I have yet to try it this year.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

AWS260 wrote:Westbrook's Key Lime Pie is... quite something. Very sour, well-balanced with some sweetness, and I'm pretty sure there's beer in there somewhere. I actually quite like it, but I wouldn't drink more than one at a time, because the flavor is so concentrated.

Enlarge Image
Westfield River Brewing Co also has a Key Lime Pie that is a solid beer with flavoring, rather than a flavor bomb with a beer.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

mori wrote:Image
Fulton Hopstar Session IPA. I am generally not a session IPA fan, but this 4.9% ABV packs a lot of flavor and body and keeps the palate interested. Unlike last weekend when I was drinking Founders All Day IPA. After a few of those I was bored and left wanting for something else to wake up the palate.
I keep trying various Session IPA's and really haven't found one that was a good all day beer. Some start good but about half way thru the beer they just seem to lose all flavor.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Scuzz wrote:
I keep trying various Session IPA's and really haven't found one that was a good all day beer. Some start good but about half way thru the beer they just seem to lose all flavor.
Have you tried Notch Left of the Dial? It has been my summer go-to for the last three years.
mori

Post by mori »

Jeff V wrote: Sierra Oktoberfest - another German collaboration as they've been doing the past few years. This was better than previous offerings - 6 tentacles.
I am drinking this now. A fine beer but nothing that terribly excites me either. But it is priced right and fresher than German offerings but there are better local choices.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Kraken wrote:
Scuzz wrote:
Have you tried Notch Left of the Dial? It has been my summer go-to for the last three years.
I haven't seen that here. Next time I am in a BevMo or the other big place I will look for it.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Scuzz wrote:
Kraken wrote:
Scuzz wrote:
I haven't seen that here. Next time I am in a BevMo or the other big place I will look for it.
Notch (Salem MA) only brews session beers, which they design from the ground up rather than stripping down a "standard" beer. Their wheat beer Infinite Jest is pretty good, too.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Dayquill :cry:
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
mori

Post by mori »

Enlarge Image
A double IPA brewed with sake yeast and rice. It is definitely lighter in color and body compared to other hoppy beers. The sake yeast adds a unique twist to the usual Lagunitas hop flavor profile. But it weighs in at 9% ABV and comes in a 32oz bottle so it is trouble in a bottle.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Enlarge Image

I'm still not sure whether this whole pumpkin ale thing is a good idea or not. I didn't conclude so last year. This one's good, but still too much.

Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Two thirds of the way through my Year Without Beer™, I'm enjoying a middling Armagnac.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Leo VS Ursus : Adversus IIPA.
Fantastic. Great nose. Good mouth feel. Golden color. Little sweetness. 8.2 ABV. Reaally, really good.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Enlarge Image

Sixpoint is starting to sell limited-edition releases from their brewery, which luckily is a 20-minute bus ride from me. The sauce is intended to be mixed with the beer -- pour a bit of sauce in your glass, then the empty the can on top. Odd, but tasty.
mori

Post by mori »

AWS260 wrote:Enlarge Image

Sixpoint is starting to sell limited-edition releases from their brewery, which luckily is a 20-minute bus ride from me. The sauce is intended to be mixed with the beer -- pour a bit of sauce in your glass, then the empty the can on top. Odd, but tasty.
What in the world is this? Is the Raspy Sauce just adding more raspberry flavor?
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

It's a raspberry jalapeño sauce. It basically adds a tiny bit of heat and some real raspberry bits to your drink.
mori

Post by mori »

Wet hop season and to start off I am drinking Surly Wet. It has 100% fresh Mosaic hops. I love Mosaic hops but I do not love this beer. Hoping for better wet hop beers this season.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Ballast Point Dead Ringer - Oktoberfest style beer that encroaches on a brown ale. Good flavor, good price ($8 per 6), middling ABV of 6.0%.

Two Brothers PaHoeHoe Coconut ale. Very light body to allow a hint of coconut to come through. Had a sample at one of their restaurants, it'd be a better summer beer rather than fall. 5.2% ABV, its slightly stronger than the coconut water that's all the rage these days

Two Brothers Atom Smasher Oak Aged Oktoberfest Lager. A perennial favorite, well balanced flavor reminiscent of squirrel food and a solid 7.7% ABV

Two Brothers Hop Centric Double IPA. Sadly sold in a tiny tulip glass, this 9.9% hop bomb needs to be served in 2 liter steins.
Black Lives Matter
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Stumbled across this: Drinks By The Dram. Think I may pick myself up one of the Whiskey Advent Calendars for this holiday season but they have ones for all spirits. Prices range from around $150 to $11,000! :shock:

Well, crap... this looks to be UK only. :cry:
-mf
mori

Post by mori »

MonkeyFinger wrote:Stumbled across this: Drinks By The Dram. Think I may pick myself up one of the Whiskey Advent Calendars for this holiday season but they have ones for all spirits. Prices range from around $150 to $11,000! :shock:

Well, crap... this looks to be UK only. :cry:
Can you order it from Amazon UK and deliver it to the US? I know you can get stuff from Amazon Japan delivered to the states. Shipping costs might make that prohibitive and you never know about customs and alcohol. And the prices were in pounds and not dollars. So the cheaper set that you would actually want is closer to $200 for 24 drams.
mori

Post by mori »

I am not into Double IPAs as much as I use to be. But this one came recommended and the brewery released a video parody for Crop Circus Double IPA. I guess it uses some fresh hops in the brew. I like it but I am into less hoppy beers nowadays.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jeff V wrote:Ballast Point Dead Ringer - Oktoberfest style beer that encroaches on a brown ale. Good flavor, good price ($8 per 6), middling ABV of 6.0%.

Two Brothers PaHoeHoe Coconut ale. Very light body to allow a hint of coconut to come through. Had a sample at one of their restaurants, it'd be a better summer beer rather than fall. 5.2% ABV, its slightly stronger than the coconut water that's all the rage these days

Two Brothers Atom Smasher Oak Aged Oktoberfest Lager. A perennial favorite, well balanced flavor reminiscent of squirrel food and a solid 7.7% ABV

Two Brothers Hop Centric Double IPA. Sadly sold in a tiny tulip glass, this 9.9% hop bomb needs to be served in 2 liter steins.
I had the Ballast Point Dead Ringer last year and thought it was one of the better beers of the style I had last year.
Black Lives Matter