Whatcha drinking?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

Re: Whatcha drinking?

Post by Jeff V »

Target has Anchor Xmas Ale 2017 for $13/6, I'm hoping to find it cheaper. I haven't seen Fistmas on the shelves in the past week, but Celebration is still around. Meijer had nothing I wanted, but the Lagunitas Nighttime was on sale for $4 a bomber so I bought another for tonight. A friend cancelled a party for tomorrow and with it went my excuse to go to Binny's so I'm at the mercy of supermarkets.
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Enlarge Image

Unibroue - Éphémère Pomme

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Dilly Desist!
Modist Brewing on Friday launched a new double IPA called the "Dilly Dilly" – a hat-tip to Bud Light's recent medieval banquet-set commercial that mocks the craft beer craze.

Well, the new beer didn't go unnoticed by Anheuser-Busch, the makers of Bud Light, who sent the North Loop, Minneapolis brewpub a cease and desist.

But in a brilliant twist, they delivered cease and desist via a Town Crier, who read it from a scroll.
Video (Facebook)
It's almost as if people are the problem.
mori

Post by mori »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:42 pm Dilly Desist!
Modist Brewing on Friday launched a new double IPA called the "Dilly Dilly" – a hat-tip to Bud Light's recent medieval banquet-set commercial that mocks the craft beer craze.

Well, the new beer didn't go unnoticed by Anheuser-Busch, the makers of Bud Light, who sent the North Loop, Minneapolis brewpub a cease and desist.

But in a brilliant twist, they delivered cease and desist via a Town Crier, who read it from a scroll.
Video (Facebook)
Of course this is big news in the local area. The cynics among us wonder when ABInbev, ABI, or whatever they call themselves became so nice when it comes to issuing cease and desist orders. We see an upcoming buyout coming. It does make sense since they have not bought anyone in this market yet.
mori

Post by mori »

disarm wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:47 pm I picked up these two this afternoon for $15 each... Bourbon County Stout and Barleywine Ale. I only got one of each though, so I'm now stuck deciding if I drink them soon, or allow them to age a bit first... Image
If you have not had them before I would recommend drinking them now. Need a baseline.
disarm

Post by disarm »

I think I'll probably open them on Christmas. We have some people coming to our house that might appreciate the chance to have a taste.

The way I see it, they may change over time, but that doesn't necessarily mean they'll get 'better.' They were bottled as they are for a reason. If the brewer intended for them to age before drinking, they could have held onto them until they were ready for sale.
mori

Post by mori »

Exactly.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Enlarge Image

Dusty Boots - Hard Chocolate Orange

I've never liked or liked the idea of chocolate soda (just not something I encountered as a kid), but I really liked this. I think it's the orange combination. It really does taste like a Terry's Chocolate Orange. Not sure that I'd get it again, as there are too many more nuanced ales and ciders for me to spend my beer money on hard soda. But I'm glad I tried this one.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Picked up two Troeg's seasonals, the Mad Elf Belgian and the Blizzard of Hops IPA. Mad Elf is really good, with a strong cherry and honey flavor. 11% so it's certainly capable of getting you merry.

Have not tried the IPA yet, but hope to do so tonight. I've never not liked anything that Troeg's released (Troegenator is one of my favorite beers), so I'm sure it'll will be great.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Enlarge Image

Shepherd Neame - Christmas Ale

I've been seriously missing something like this. Not the highest rated, but I couldn't be happier.

If you teleported me to a boat in the middle of the Strait of Dover I wouldn't know which way to row.

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Enlarge Image

Shipyard's Prelude was one of my winter go-to beers for quite a few years until it was relegated to six-packs and mix packs last year. It's not worth 6-pack prices, so I reluctantly wrote it off. Now this year Shipyard has introduced this new winter seasonal in 12-packs.

It's a thoroughly average porter, which isn't a bad thing. There aren't many porters available at 12-pack prices and this one is pleasant enough to be a nice change from the big IPAs I've been drinking. At 5.8% ABV Jeff could feed it to his children in lieu of chocolate milk. Not a ringing endorsement or an all-time fave, but I'll buy it again.
mori

Post by mori »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:48 am Picked up two Troeg's seasonals, the Mad Elf Belgian and the Blizzard of Hops IPA. Mad Elf is really good, with a strong cherry and honey flavor. 11% so it's certainly capable of getting you merry.

Have not tried the IPA yet, but hope to do so tonight. I've never not liked anything that Troeg's released (Troegenator is one of my favorite beers), so I'm sure it'll will be great.
You do not like Nugget Nectar? That is one of my favorite beers but I have not had it for a few years since we do not get it here and my East Coast connection disappeared.

Edit: Disregard post as I failed to read your post carefully enough.
Last edited by mori on Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mori

Post by mori »

2017 Barleywine.
I have had almost all of the Goose Island Bourbon Barrel Brand beer variants through the years except the barleywine. It is an outstanding beer. But glad I got two bottles as I intend to age the second one for several years as I think it will improve with some bottle aging.
mori

Post by mori »

I had this on-tap on Wednesday but it was served way too cold. I thought it was good but hardly mind-blowing. But today I opened my bottle as with any coffee beer it is best drank as fresh as possible. I enjoyed it much more now when it is served at a proper 55 F. A lot more of the flavor comes out but sadly not as much bourbon as I would of liked as I think they are 3rd or 4th use barrels. The maple syrup adds a nice sweetness and velvet smooth mouthfeel that is particular intriguing.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I tried purchasing that at a local liquor store, but apparently some type of beer bandit in my area is buying up every bottle he can find.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
mori

Post by mori »

It is an excellent beer and am glad I got the couple opportunities to try it this time around. But I would not worry about losing out either. I only got a bottle because the beer guy at my local store saved me a bottle from the truck chasers. But I did spend nearly $250 at that store over the last week so I should get some benefits.
Last edited by mori on Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The more we think of pets as people, the less ethical it is to keep them.
tgb

Post by tgb »

My Hannukah present to me.

I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
mori

Post by mori »

Double cask has me intrigued but cannot make out the fine print.
tgb

Post by tgb »

mori wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:30 pm Double cask has me intrigued but cannot make out the fine print.
What would you like to know? It's 12 y.o. Macallan that's been finished off for the last couple of years in an American sherry cask. As such it's fruitier and a bit sweeter than your standard single malt.

I think I prefer regular Macallan, but this would make for a good "gateway" single malt.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

If they are finishing in the Sherry casks, what is the initial aging done in? Does it start out as the Fine Oak, and then finish up in Sherry?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

RunningMn9 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:50 pm If they are finishing in the Sherry casks, what is the initial aging done in? Does it start out as the Fine Oak, and then finish up in Sherry?
The Macallam Double Cask 12 Years Old
The Macallan Double Cask 12 years old is 100% Sherry seasoned, and 100% Natural Color, in keeping with The Macallan’s tradition, but unique in the fact it is defined by the unmistakable prominence of the American oak style.

The Macallan brings new oak from America across thousands of miles to Spain, where casks are crafted and sherry seasoned before traveling to our distillery in Speyside, where they are filled and matured for at least 12 years. These whiskies are then harmoniously united with those aged in exceptional sherry seasoned European oak casks.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Ah, got it. All sherry casks, just a mix of American and European Oak? Most distillers call that “Double Wood”, which threw me off.

Had a bit of a whisky tasting at Trent Steel’s house last night, with the closer being the Talisker 30 year old. It’s reasonably outstanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

RunningMn9 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:22 pm Had a bit of a whisky tasting at Trent Steel’s house last night, with the closer being the Talisker 30 year old. It’s reasonably outstanding.
Reasonably. :)

I also have a tip on someone who has a stash of CBS's. Maybe I'll try to finagle one for Friday.
18-1™ & 2-0
mori

Post by mori »

Heard there was a bit of a bourbon drop the last week. Anyone care to share their experience? I would of liked some of that Stagg Jr. http://www.buffalotracedistillery.com/brands/stagg-jr
disarm

Post by disarm »

mori wrote:Heard there was a bit of a bourbon drop the last week. Anyone care to share their experience? I would of liked some of that Stagg Jr. http://www.buffalotracedistillery.com/brands/stagg-jr
My local store got a major delivery a couple weeks ago...one bottle each of Weller Special Reserve, Weller 12yr, Stagg Jr, George T Stagg, William Larue Weller, Pappy 10yr, and Pappy 12yr.

My neighbor owns the store and was going to hook me up with the William Larue Weller, but apparently someone contacted him about the WLW and Stagg offering an obscene amount of money. He wanted to help me out, but I guess the money was too much to turn down.

That said, I did pick up the Weller 12yr and Stagg Jr as gifts for the holiday. I already have bottles of both on my own shelf (along with some papa Stagg) Image
disarm

Post by disarm »

In other news, my beer for the night...Coalesce from Steady Habit Brewing in East Haven, CT. It's a really nice DIPA made from citra and nelson hops...bit of a New England IPA with a little extra bite. It's an 8.0% DIPA, but drinks like much less...nice hop flavors and higher alcohol content, but goes down very smooth. It's one of the better local beers that I've tried in a while.
mori

Post by mori »

The poorest attempt at a Mexican chocolate stout that I have had. Just did not come together. Coffee and chiles is just not a good combination IMHO. Ditch the coffee and I think the beer would of been much more successful.
Last edited by mori on Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

The whisky advent calendar is complete! Well, I've opened all the doors -- it will take a bit longer to drink my way through the drams. All in all, a pretty good haul. 3 cl (1 oz) each of:

Day 1: Glenfarclas 25-year
Day 2: Buffalo Trace
Day 3: Bain's Cape Mountain (South African - never heard of it before - never drinking it again)
Day 4: an anonymous 13-year-old Irish single malt from an independent bottler
Day 5: Jim Beam Double Oak
Day 6: Kavalan (Taiwan)
Day 7: Roe & Co. blended Irish whiskey
Day 8: Cardhu 12-year
Day 9: The Naked Grouse
Day 10: Scallywag 13-year
Day 11: Ailsa Bay
Day 12: Evan Williams White Label
Day 13: The Big Strand (Islay malt from an unnamed distillery)
Day 14: Mackmyra (Sweden)
Day 15: The Lost Distilleries Blend, Batch 10
Day 16: Kavalan (this was the only repeat)
Day 17: Talisker 10-year
Day 18: Dalmore 12-year
Day 19: Wolfburn (a young single malt from a new Highland distillery)
Day 20: Kilchoman Sanaig
Day 21: Hudson Manhattan Rye
Day 22: The Macallan 12-year
Day 23: BenRiach 10-year
Day 24: The Half-Century Blend (50 years!), Batch 2

Huge thanks to my amazing wife for surprising me with this.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:45 pm Target has Anchor Xmas Ale 2017 for $13/6,
And I lose. Went to two Binny's yesterday, the Anchor is all sold out. Bought some Avery (meh) and some Great Lakes, the latter for tonight's party.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Haven't tried it yet, but yesterday I bought a 12 of Harpoon's Fresh Tracks. A spring seasonal. Before Christmas.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Got three Trapists for tonight. St Bernardus 12, Rochefort 10, and Golden Draak 9000.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

My sister abandoned her family this summer and went to Alaska to fish. She stopped in Mexico for a month before coming back to town for the holidays. She brought us a bottle of tequila which we have just opened.

Some no-name brand, and I usually don't drink blancos, but this is niiiice so far.

I can't find any info about this on the internet but I do know it's not available for export.
mori

Post by mori »

Enlarge Image
HammerHeart Gesik is described as a northern European style juniper ale brewed by traditional methods. Catching up on Vikings and drinking the closest drink I could find to what our Norse friends would of consumed. This brewery is notoriously known for all its beers to be smokey, and this one is no different. Interesting combination of juniper fruitiness and the smoke.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Enlarge Image

Durham Signature Ale - County Durham Brewing Company

Seems good... but I can't tell because I still have a respiratory infection throwing off my taste buds, even though the cold was 2.5 weeks ago. :cry: I can't tell you how frustrating it is to have a fridge full of holiday ales I can't enjoy.

disarm

Post by disarm »

I opened up my Goose Island Bourbon County Stout this afternoon and really can't say enough great things. I wasn't sure how it could live up to all the hype, but this really is a special beer. The complexity of flavor (chocolate/fudge, bourbon, vanilla, coffee, a little smoky) is really impressive and works perfectly. It also does an impressive job of hiding the 14% ABV...very smooth, and the perfect beer to sip with dessert. It's not easy to find and little pricey at $16/bottle, but this is one that is totally worth it for the experience. I won't hesitate to pick it up again in the future if the opportunity comes around.

Now I'm looking forward to opening the Bourbon County barleywine soon...
Udar4450

Post by Udar4450 »

A local craft beer, sounds hipster-ish, but hey, it changes from your usual big name pilsener or lager. Not bad, but I still miss the Belgian Trappist beers.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Sudy wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:50 pm
Seems good... but I can't tell because I still have a respiratory infection throwing off my taste buds, even though the cold was 2.5 weeks ago. :cry: I can't tell you how frustrating it is to have a fridge full of holiday ales I can't enjoy.
Same here. I probably unfairly commented on the Avery and haven't even touched a DYO six pack of seasonal beers. I've had this plague for well over a month; it seems like it will never end.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I think I saw the perfect JeffV 6 pack over the weekend.

Drake's Denogginizzer is now being sold in cans....in 16oz 6 packs. This 10% Imperial IPA is really good and a 6 pack like this is dangerous.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Hopothermia double IPA by Alaskan Brewery. I hoped the bitterness would power it's way through my dead tastebuds but it just barely registers. I'm guessing it's smooth, lacking bite of the cloying sweetness sometimes found in this style. 8.5% abv makes it the perfect thing to wash down night time cold meds.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Northwind Imperial Stout by Two Brother's Brewery, Warrenville, IL. Nearly pure black and opaque, a bright light behind the glass does not shine through. By stilted tastebuds can discern toasted malt and little else. 9.1% abv, it's nice for a cold winter night (It's below zero here so I guess that qualifies).
Black Lives Matter