Whatcha drinking?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: Whatcha drinking?

Post by Isgrimnur »

Bespoke hurricane. Rum, rum, blue curacao, lemon juice, a splash of simple syrup.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

My packie apparently tapped into a hidden cache of Celebration Ale, so I'm buying it up as fast as I can afford to while it lasts.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I had an opportunity to try three drafts on somebody else's dime tonight.

First up was Lord Hobo's Boom Sauce. Lord Hobo is a hipster bar in Cambridge (Inman Square). I found the bar to be overcrowded and overpriced (did I mention that it's in Cambridge? where $9 is the going rate for a pint). They have a large and thoughtful beer list, but it's a neighborhood bar that's far from my neighborhood and has no parking, so I'll probably never go back. Anyway, they're obviously not brewing beer there, so it's a contract job, and I figured they were just capitalizing on the Lord Hobo name. Well it turns out that Boom Sauce is a really enjoyable example of an East Coast IPA. I was tempted to stick with it all evening, but as long as somebody else was paying I thought I should explore a little.

Second was Blah Blah Blah double IPA from 21st Amendment. Kind of blah for a double, and changing to a West Coast style was jarring. Wished I'd gotten another Boom Sauce instead.

Finally I couldn't pass up a chance to try Jack's Abbey Kiwi Rising double IPL. Fruity, fresh, tropical, and totally wrong for a winter night. Should have had another Boom Sauce instead.

I might have liked the other two better if I hadn't started with the Boom Sauce. Dunno if it would be as good canned as it was on tap, but I'll probably buy a 4-pack to find out.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Enlarge Image

Bourbon Aged Dark Ale - Innis & Gunn

So rich... so delicious.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
disarm

Post by disarm »

Kraken wrote:I had an opportunity to try three drafts on somebody else's dime tonight.

First up was Lord Hobo's Boom Sauce. Lord Hobo is a hipster bar in Cambridge (Inman Square)...Well it turns out that Boom Sauce is a really enjoyable example of an East Coast IPA...Dunno if it would be as good canned as it was on tap, but I'll probably buy a 4-pack to find out.
I've been pleasantly surprised by all of Lord Hobo's offerings that I've tried so far (all in the can from my local stores in CT). Boom Sauce is pretty good, but I think 'Consolation Prize' is probably my favorite of the bunch...a very solid DIPA with good citrus hop flavor that does an amazingly good job of hiding is 9.5% ABV. I've also gone through a 4-pack of 'Steal This Can,' but it's easily my least favorite. The only easily available offering that I haven't tried yet is their session IPA 'Hobo Life'... supposedly good as well, so I'll probably give it a shot very soon.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Enlarge Image

A decent sweetish toasty ale with just enough bitterness. Quite complex for what the indie packaging suggests.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

disarm wrote:
Kraken wrote:I had an opportunity to try three drafts on somebody else's dime tonight.

First up was Lord Hobo's Boom Sauce. Lord Hobo is a hipster bar in Cambridge (Inman Square)...Well it turns out that Boom Sauce is a really enjoyable example of an East Coast IPA...Dunno if it would be as good canned as it was on tap, but I'll probably buy a 4-pack to find out.
I've been pleasantly surprised by all of Lord Hobo's offerings that I've tried so far (all in the can from my local stores in CT). Boom Sauce is pretty good, but I think 'Consolation Prize' is probably my favorite of the bunch...a very solid DIPA with good citrus hop flavor that does an amazingly good job of hiding is 9.5% ABV. I've also gone through a 4-pack of 'Steal This Can,' but it's easily my least favorite. The only easily available offering that I haven't tried yet is their session IPA 'Hobo Life'... supposedly good as well, so I'll probably give it a shot very soon.
I didn't realize that Lord Hobo is distributing beyond greater Boston, so that's cool. I'll have to see if my packy carries Consolation Prize.
disarm

Post by disarm »

It must be fairly widespread in southern New England. I've found Boom Sauce, Hobo Life, and Steal This Can in my local BigY grocery store in northeastern CT.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Kraken wrote:My packie apparently tapped into a hidden cache of Celebration Ale, so I'm buying it up as fast as I can afford to while it lasts.

My local grocery store has 12 packs of Celebration Ale all over the store. They have for quite a while now. Maybe we are getting everyone else's supply. I have a 12 pack in my fridge at home right now. :)
Black Lives Matter
mori

Post by mori »

This will be the first time in 10 years that I have not drank any Celebration Ale. Just too much new stuff I have to try to go back to an old standard. And I like to spend whatever I can at the good local breweries.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Young's Double Chocolate Stout. This one never gets old :D
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sam Adams Maple Ale - decent, can't really taste the maple notes.

Pedernales Hefeweizen - a touch more bitter than I prefer.
mori

Post by mori »

4 Hands(St. Louis) Chocolate Milk Stout- "Chocolate flavored water that I could treat my kid with", in my best Jeff V impersonation.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

With a label this ugly Tim's Udderly Milk Stout had better be good. And it is a better than average example of the style, with chocolate and coffee flavor notes and no nasty aftertaste that many stouts pick up. Nothing unexpected here, just a satisfying winter brew at the standard $10/6 price point.

I had to pass on buying any Lord Hobo brews last weekend, even though my packy has Boom Sauce and Consolation Prize. $16 for a 4-pack is too spendy for me. Boom Sauce is good, but not that good.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Aventinus, a wheat doppel-bock. I had this years ago and really liked it, but didn't think I'd see it again, so I was overjoyed to see it back on the shelves here recently. At 8.2%, it packs quite a punch.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
mori

Post by mori »

Founders Frootwood a cherry ale aged in maple syrup bourbon barrels. I like it a lot more than a lot of people I have been hearing from. Not the next Canadian Breakfast Stout, but must be nice to have access to so many bourbon barrels that have since aged maple syrup to put a cherry ale in to use them up.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

mori wrote:Founders Frootwood a cherry ale aged in maple syrup bourbon barrels. I like it a lot more than a lot of people I have been hearing from. Not the next Canadian Breakfast Stout, but must be nice to have access to so many bourbon barrels that have since aged maple syrup to put a cherry ale in to use them up.
I just saw this listed in the Founder's app as being on-tap and asked my wife if she wanted to go down sometime this weekend to get a pint of it. I didn't know they were bottling it too.

I've been a sucker for cherry in beers ever since I first tried Bell's Cherry Stout. It was in 1988 and Larry Bell himself used to drive it up from Kzoo to the specialty liquor store where I bought it (under aged!). It was only available in 750 ml recycled Champagne bottles. Made me start homebrewing because I wanted to make something that good...
mori

Post by mori »

Z-Corn wrote:
mori wrote:Founders Frootwood a cherry ale aged in maple syrup bourbon barrels. I like it a lot more than a lot of people I have been hearing from. Not the next Canadian Breakfast Stout, but must be nice to have access to so many bourbon barrels that have since aged maple syrup to put a cherry ale in to use them up.
I just saw this listed in the Founder's app as being on-tap and asked my wife if she wanted to go down sometime this weekend to get a pint of it. I didn't know they were bottling it too.

I've been a sucker for cherry in beers ever since I first tried Bell's Cherry Stout. It was in 1988 and Larry Bell himself used to drive it up from Kzoo to the specialty liquor store where I bought it (under aged!). It was only available in 750 ml recycled Champagne bottles. Made me start homebrewing because I wanted to make something that good...
I bought a 4-pack of 12oz bottles and it was reasonably priced. I would not want to drink a 750ml bottle of this without help. The 12oz is just a perfect size for a solo effort.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Sudy, might be interested in this: An article in the Toronto Star about Stack and other Northern breweries.

https://www.thestar.com/life/food_wine/ ... north.html
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Finally got around to opening my birthday present:

Enlarge Image

First off, the package is totally awesome. It's all wood elf sneaky, which I like. One of the few Scotch boxes I'll keep. But the taste? Quite nice. I'm familiar with the Highland Park 12, so as a NAS bottling I was curious as to what this would be like. There's an initial sweetness that mellows out and turns into a warming chocolate/cherry. Finishes with a little spice and very light smokey aftertaste that lingers for quite a bit. Very smooth and goes down quite nicely. I can't say I recall tasting another Scotch with this chocolate/cherry thing happening, so that was a nice surprise. The internet is telling me I should sense vanilla, but I'm not getting any of it. Would recommend. Will drink more.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Nice. :)
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Buffalo Trace really liking this bourbon wouldn't rank it in my top ten but serviceable and quite enjoyable neat
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
Smutly

Post by Smutly »

tru1cy wrote:Buffalo Trace really liking this bourbon wouldn't rank it in my top ten but serviceable and quite enjoyable neat
My go to bourbon is Eagle Rare, but Buffalo Trace does quite nicely in an Old Fashioned.
Black Lives Matter*

*Terms and Conditions Apply
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

During the last several years, Stone has made an expansion into Canada. They've finally arrived in my area. Last time I was at the store, noticed several of their beers: Arrogant Bastard, Double Arrogant Bastard, their Russian Imperial Stout and a few other things. Picked up some Arrogant Bastard in a can.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Shipyard's Chocolate Milk Stout comes in 12-packs. I wish I'd known that at the start of winter rather than toward its end. It's a pleasant enough stout, a bit sweeter than I like but not cloying, remarkable mainly for coming in 12-packs. Will buy again if cold weather returns (gonna be in the 60s the rest of this week) since none of my favorite winter beers were sold in 12-packs this year.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I love this stuff. I thought I had fell in love with some crappy sangria knock off but it turns out its the real deal but with the alcohol removed.

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

A decent IPA example. Nothing truly outstanding, but nothing to regret.

Enlarge Image

Good coffee notes for a dark lager. Less viscosity than a stout or porter, which is normally where you find these types of flavors and color. I could certainly enjoy a session with it.
mori

Post by mori »

Hop Shovel IPA by Bear Republic. A West Coast style IPA with all the new fangled hops. Very nice beer and now I realize I do not buy enough Bear Republic beer.
Semaj

Post by Semaj »

Isgrimnur wrote:Image

A decent IPA example. Nothing truly outstanding, but nothing to regret.

Enlarge Image

Good coffee notes for a dark lager. Less viscosity than a stout or porter, which is normally where you find these types of flavors and color. I could certainly enjoy a session with it.
You in Buffalo? :)

Sixpoint makes a Resin and a Hi-Res which are much better examples of IPA's... but the craft beer selection in town is large. Roarbach Space Kitty, Elysian Spacedust, Great Divide Titan, Firestone Union Jack (or Wookie Jack), Bells 2 Hearted, Lord Hobo Boom Sauce (or steal this can, or consolation prize), Ballast Sculpin, Great lakes (chillwave), Founders and Bear Republic are all easily grabbable...

and if you can find decent draft places, Sloop, Singlecut, big Ditch are all wonderful.

Guess working at 2 bars, one with 550 bottled beers and one with 73 taps helps with this eh? :)
Some claim to be things they aren't.
Some claim things they don't deserve.
Some claim to know more than they ever will.
I don't claim anything, because no one would believe the truth anyways.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I am not. These were provided by my wife, brought home from her store.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Enlarge Image

Ycch. This is too much. Too much spice, too much sweetness. Too much oak. I was really hoping this would be a replacement for my beloved Rye Not, and my new go-to now that Flying Monkeys Deep Tracks American Brown Ale has sold out at my store. Thank goodness I didn't buy the 2nd can I was intending to.

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

mori wrote:Image
Hop Shovel IPA by Bear Republic. A West Coast style IPA with all the new fangled hops. Very nice beer and now I realize I do not buy enough Bear Republic beer.
I have had the Racer 5, it was good. i will have to look for this beer.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

So we apparently have a new chain liquor store opening this weekend. Total Wine.....if the store is as good as it's ads I might be spending more of my beer and wine dollar there soon.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's a relatively substantial chain and is one of the power players in DFW.

Edit: Wiki
Total Wine & More is the largest U.S. independent retailer of fine wine. Total Wine & More was named Retailer of the Year by Market Watch in 2006, Beverage Dynamics in 2008, and Wine Enthusiast Magazine in 2004 and 2014.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Since my wife assumed control of the budget a few months ago, I've been restricted to the best bang-for-the-buck, Trader Joe's 8.4% ABV Double IPA @ $5/6.

This weekend though, Binny's has $2 off on DYO six packs ($8 instead of $10). I couldn't resist, and since it's been awhile, had no problem selecting 12 that I haven't had before.

First up: Firestone Luponic Distortion. Urine-colored and an anemic 5.9% ABV, it's rather pungent and not something I'd buy again. I was able to drink a can of it without gagging though, so it can't be all bad.

Next up is Oddside Ales Hop Gobbler Extra Pale Ale. It's got the extra pale right...it looks like urine after you pounded a dozen or so Hop Gobblers. And at 5% ABV, you'll never realize you drank that many. The taste is ephemeral...in that when you taste it, any flavors that might be present dissipate almost instantly. Which is too bad, the split second I can discern a flavor, it seems good...but then it's gone. :(
Black Lives Matter
mori

Post by mori »

Scuzz wrote:So we apparently have a new chain liquor store opening this weekend. Total Wine.....if the store is as good as it's ads I might be spending more of my beer and wine dollar there soon.
I try not to spend much money at Total Wine. Their business practices are not the greatest. They will open the store with outrageous low prices to get people in the store and drive the locally owned competition out of business and before long, their prices are as high as what they replaced. I do go there a couple times a year to check it out and buy a bottle or two of liquor. But 98% of my booze money goes to locally owned businesses.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Sierra Nevada "German Style IPA". I usually call foul on these contrived styles that don't otherwise exist in nature, and this is no exception. It tastes more like a kolsch-style beer, or something in the Dutch variety (at least the Dutch have a legacy of India trade where the style was conceived) A modest 6.1% ABV; this beer does not excite me.

Two Brothers Pinball Juicy Hop Pale Ale, Warrenville, IL. I had this super-low alcohol (5.4%) beer at their new Naperville restaurant a few weeks ago after starting with a far more potent offering. I liked it then, and I still like it in canned form. Fruity and tart, it'll be a nice summer beer. Not bad on a spring day though.

Maggie's Irish Ale by Saugatuck Brewery, Michigan. I've adored most of what I had from this brewery, until now. This isn't bad, it's just completely forgettable. Only 5.4% ABV, the flavor is ephemeral and leaves no real impression.
Black Lives Matter
mori

Post by mori »

Big Sky Brewing Shake-A-Day IPA out of Missoula, Montana. We are departing IPA and stout season so getting a new IPA is refreshing this time of year. Nice hop flavors but not punishing bitterness, and a Jeff V appreciated 7.5% ABV. I do not buy much Big Sky anymore as it seems they have been crowded out by the influx of local beers. I always thought they brewed good beer if you can find it fresh.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Voodoo Ranger 8 Hop Pale Ale by New Belgium. This is the first New Belgium beer I've had that lacked their signature funk, which makes this drinkable. But is it good? 8 hops are probably 5 too many...the flavor is unique, but in a muddled, confusing way. Still, I didn't gag, at 5.5% ABV, it was a good stand in for the glass of water I likely would have had instead.
Black Lives Matter