[FILM] Pacific Rim Series

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

YellowKing

Re: [FILM] Pacific Rim

Post by YellowKing »

Went to see this today.

If I'm being honest, I was a *tad* disappointed. The battle scenes and effects were awesome. Great summer movie fun and whenever there were monsters and robots on screen I was riveted.

The rest of the movie, however, was just way too cheesy for my tastes. It seriously felt like a SyFy Channel movie at times, and the lack of any big-name actors did nothing to dispel the illusion that you were watching a B-flick. Yeah, yeah, I know. Monster movies are supposed to be B flicks, but this felt way too formulaic and dumbed down for a Guillermo del Toro film.

Effects, cool factor: A
Story, acting: C+
Overall: B-
Hamsterball_Z

Post by Hamsterball_Z »

That was the best movie I've seen in a long time. Usually I'd go in with high expectations and come out disappointed. This one exceeded all expectations. I wanted more not because they left anything out but because it was just flat out awesome! It was the best of Top Gun, Jurassic Park, and Independence day distilled into a single movie.

There should no longer be any question of how capable a director Del Toro really is.

My non-serious nitpick:
Spoiler:
Was this really necessary?
:P
(HBZ)
Kraegor

Post by Kraegor »

YellowKing wrote:but this felt way too formulaic and dumbed down for a Guillermo del Toro film.
You got it backwards. Pan's Labrynth was the anomaly, not the norm. ;)

And I now just discovered how often Ron Perlman is in Del Toro flicks. I do agree with your assessment of the story. I disagree about the acting. I'd give the acting a solid B+. Only person whose acting seemed forced was the guy playing Iceman.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

Personally, I thought the plot was well-done. Del Toro clearly knew the draw of this movie was giant robots punching giant monsters, and the plot is straightforward and minimalist. There really isn't even a plot twist to speak of. It's just straight forward "monsters are trying to kill us, so let's go kill them". The movie doesn't spend any great stretch of time trying to explain everything to us and doesn't force intense character development into a monster movie framework. It spends just enough time out of well-done robot-on-monster action sequences to combat robot-on-monster-action-sequence fatigue, and not a second more.

I really don't know what more you could ask for.
Toe

Post by Toe »

While I had planned on seeing it in 2D as protest, I ended up seeing it in 3D IMAX due to the friends I went with. Some of the combat was just too quick to translate well to 3D (imho) and other portions of the combat were just too dark (under sea combat). I would pay to watch it again in 2D (on an IMAX screen), as Del Toro had planned. Look forward the the day Del Toro can say "This will be 2D" and the studios will say "Yes sir" instead of altering his vision for a money grab.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Toe wrote:I would pay to watch it again in 2D (on an IMAX screen), as Del Toro had planned. Look forward the the day Del Toro can say "This will be 2D" and the studios will say "Yes sir" instead of altering his vision for a money grab.
Do any directors have that power? I can't remember a big blockbuster action movie that didn't have a 3D option. Every movie I have gone to lately has been in 3D.
Jiffy

Post by Jiffy »

msteelers wrote:
Toe wrote:I would pay to watch it again in 2D (on an IMAX screen), as Del Toro had planned. Look forward the the day Del Toro can say "This will be 2D" and the studios will say "Yes sir" instead of altering his vision for a money grab.
Do any directors have that power? I can't remember a big blockbuster action movie that didn't have a 3D option. Every movie I have gone to lately has been in 3D.
Christopher Nolan does. Inception/Dark Knight Rises were 2D only (and IMAX, glorious IMAX)
stessier

Post by stessier »

The weekend box office shows Pacific Rim making $38 million while Grown Ups 2 made $42.5 million. Something about this seems unjust.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
ibdoomed

Post by ibdoomed »

I was hoping ESPN put a nail in the 3D coffin...
stessier wrote:The weekend box office shows Pacific Rim making $38 million while Grown Ups 2 made $42.5 million. Something about this seems unjust.
Without looking it up, I have no idea what grown ups 1 is, nor why there is a sequel. Sigh.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Without looking it up, I have no idea what grown ups 1 is, nor why there is a sequel. Sigh.
Consider yourself one of the lucky ones.
stessier

Post by stessier »

ibdoomed wrote:I was hoping ESPN put a nail in the 3D coffin...
ESPN has nothing to do with movies. The theaters have the tech - there will be 3D movies for a long time to come.
stessier wrote:The weekend box office shows Pacific Rim making $38 million while Grown Ups 2 made $42.5 million. Something about this seems unjust.
It's an Adam Sandler movie. A little more digging shows that while it has a 7% rottentomatoes rating, it has a 90% user rating. Pacific Rim has a 78% rottentomatoes and 87% user.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

YellowKing wrote:. It seriously felt like a SyFy Channel movie at times, and the lack of any big-name actors did nothing to dispel the illusion that you were watching a B-flick.
I haven't seen the movie and so can't say how large a role he played, but Idris Elba is definitely not a b-list actor; he's got some serious acting chops. Plus, he's awesome.
Black Lives Matter
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

-mf
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I honestly thought this was better in IMax 3D. I usually rail against 3D but it felt like del Toro put enough thought into it that it worked in this format. I know a 3D version was announced fairly late in the game, so he must have done some overtime getting it ready for it.

As for the film, I loved it. It's not a Hellboy 1 and 2 or Pan's Labyrinth level of love, but it was a fun film nonetheless. I have to agree the story was the weakest point, but it was still far, far better than the standard Hollywood blockbuster fare.

I would have liked more connect between Charlie Day's side story and the main one. I also would have preferred more backstory about the
Spoiler:
Alien colonists behind everything.
But it was still a very fun, very enjoyable film. I doubt we'll see a sequel unless something dramatic happens at the box office though. But at the very least, maybe this will convince the studios to let del Toro pick up again with At the Mountains of Madness. Something I think we can all agree he's perfect for.
He won. Period.
Toe

Post by Toe »

hepcat wrote:I honestly thought this was better in IMax 3D. I usually rail against 3D but it felt like del Toro put enough thought into it that it worked in this format. I know a 3D version was announced fairly late in the game, so he must have done some overtime getting it ready for it.
Here is nice breakdown from Del Toro about what went down in regards to the 3D...

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/17 ... conversion" target="_blank
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ah, so it was planned for early on then it seems. No wonder it looked so good, imho.
He won. Period.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I haven't seen the movie and so can't say how large a role he played, but Idris Elba is definitely not a b-list actor; he's got some serious acting chops. Plus, he's awesome.
Oh he was definitely a highlight in the acting department, but I wouldn't call him a big name actor. I doubt many people would recognize the name without a photo (and I'd wager few would recognize him even with the photo).

I may have been too hyped. I'd had friends saying this was the best movie they'd seen in years. The only way I'd agree with that comment would be if I was ten years old and my mom didn't let me watch TV.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I think in England he's a pretty big deal though.

P.S. if you haven't watched his BBC series Martin yet, do so immediately. I think it may still be up on Netflix streaming.
He won. Period.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

hepcat wrote:I think in England he's a pretty big deal though.

P.S. if you haven't watched his BBC series Martin yet, do so immediately. I think it may still be up on Netflix streaming.
Do you mean "Luther" or is that some play on Martin Luther that's going over my head? :|
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:
hepcat wrote:I think in England he's a pretty big deal though.

Do you mean "Luther" or is that some play on Martin Luther that's going over my head? :|
Oh for goodness' sake, that is embarrassing. :oops:

Yup, listen to Ralph. I meant Luther. Thanks, my man.
He won. Period.
Kraegor

Post by Kraegor »

Aww too bad. Thought Idris had another TV show I hadn't heard of.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

this was the best American-made,-mostly/kinda-live-action-film-adaptation-of-no-specific-anime/manga-in-particular i've seen. Del Toro really got the feel of it in some parts.

i too noticed some strong Evangelion parallels - i thought early on the concept of a power cord being pulled from its socket would come up at some point, and sure enough..
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

OK I didn't get to go last Saturday but we went Wednesday night. This was my first ever D-Box experience (movie synched rumble seats). This was a great way to experience the film. Really enjoyed it.
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Saw it this afternoon. While 38-year-old me was rolling his eyes, 12-year-old me just saw the greatest movie ever made.

Idris Elba was awesome (as always), both Hunnam (who I really like in SoA) and the female lead were nothing more than cardboard cutouts, Perlman was pretty much wasted, and the "humor" was forced and quite un-funny. The whole thing didn't do much to change my opinion of del Toro as a wildly overrated director.

That said, anytime a giant robot was punching/shooting/smashing/stabbing/beating a giant monster, I couldn't help but smile.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
RMC

Post by RMC »

Just saw this movie.. Watched it at home on my 60 inch TV. I actually really enjoyed it.

I umm was a bad parent though. My 4 year old daughter cuddled up with me when the movie started and I thought, maybe I should change this.. But I thought monsters and robots, come on my kids will love this.. That was irresponsible me..

And my 4 year old loved it, she kept asking..Is that the bad guy, or the good guy. :) We had many discussions on that.

However, my mother lives with us and she walked in towards the end of the movie with my two older daughters (9, and 6).

And she looked at me as only a mother can with the comment, "What are you watching???" Right when perlman encountered the baby monster. Umm.. Not one of my finer moments of parenting.

I give the movie two thumbs up though. :)

Plot - Blah.. That entire Wall thing..Umm year walls always work, ask France about the line they built. And the fact that they got rid of the jaeger program, but showed the only solution was the jaeger.. Go figure.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Lend some perspective to your mother's assessment by making sure she walks in on you watching Hostel.
He won. Period.
RMC

Post by RMC »

hepcat wrote:Lend some perspective to your mother's assessment by making sure she walks in on you watching Hostel.
When I was a very new Dad, I let me oldest watch Harry Potter and the sorcerers stone.(she was around 3 at the time).

She also loved Disney movies... So of course one day my lovely wife is driving with our innocent daughter in the back seat.

She starts playing with a princess wand, and says the following line, "Bippity Boppity Boo... I kill you!"

My wife nearly crashed the car... Let's just say, I bought a better couch for my back. :)

So my choices and track record for appropriate movies for my kids, is just awful. :)
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Honestly, that's about par for stuff kids read/watched for thousands of years. Punch and Judy is a puppet show with infanticide, for Christ's sake.
He won. Period.
RMC

Post by RMC »

hepcat wrote:Honestly, that's about par for stuff kids read/watched for thousands of years. Punch and Judy is a puppet show with infanticide, for Christ's sake.
Yeah, I always figure as long as I am there, and the stuff is not too bloody or too much swearing, then I would rather explain to them what the movie is and teach them it is fake. Then have them go someplace else and see it without the context I can provide.

Not to say that I am going to let them watch any movie, but most of the ones I let them watch are okay, or I think they are. :)
tgb

Post by tgb »

I watched it today and liked it a lot -especially that they get right to the action without screwing around. But let's face it, it's essentially the most expensive Toho Studios movie ever made.

I kept expecting King Ghidarah to show up.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

Walked into half of it on HBO the other night. Liked what I saw, set dvr to record. The battle scenes were very cool.
mori

Post by mori »

Thought it was boring. Lost interest at the one hour mark and started to wander. The outcome of the movie is pretty obvious and to formula. After the first couple battle scenes, I could not be bothered to watch any more as I knew the outcome and the ending. I do not think the addition of comedy/light-hearted characters added anything to this film at all. Should of stuck to the serious tone.

Worst mid-credit ending ever. Who cares!
DD*

Post by DD* »

The first time I saw this, I thought it was awesome. Repeated viewings have significantly diminished the movie. There is so much "dumb" and "lazy" in this movie, things that just weren't consistent with the fictional universe, that it completely breaks the show for me. And the worst part is that with very little effort, these things could have been avoided.
  • Why is the jaeger program canceled? The initial voiceover says they are winning - why stop? No explanation.
  • They are going to bomb the breach, even though it has never worked before. What changed to make them think it will work this time? No explanation.
  • The pilots are in telepathic communication, but Raleigh doesn't know about the new sword on Gypsy? He is missing knowledge on basic weapon systems? Huh?
  • As above - if they are in telepathic communication, why are they always yelling at each other?
  • The ocean has some, um, interesting properties in this movie - first scene, they are 10+ miles out off Alaska, the water is deep enough for the kaiju to be completely submerged, but Gypsy looks to be knee deep.
  • See also, the entire battle in Hong Kong harbor.
  • Why is every battle at night, in the rain, or both?
Just lazy film making, in my opinion. Could have been so much better (and earned a sequel).
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

It did earn a sequel....
Hodor.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

DD* wrote: [*]Why is the jaeger program canceled? The initial voiceover says they are winning - why stop? No explanation.
Thanks, Obama!
mori

Post by mori »

DD* wrote:The first time I saw this, I thought it was awesome. Repeated viewings have significantly diminished the movie. There is so much "dumb" and "lazy" in this movie, things that just weren't consistent with the fictional universe, that it completely breaks the show for me. And the worst part is that with very little effort, these things could have been avoided.
  • Why is the jaeger program canceled? The initial voiceover says they are winning - why stop? No explanation.
  • They are going to bomb the breach, even though it has never worked before. What changed to make them think it will work this time? No explanation.
  • The pilots are in telepathic communication, but Raleigh doesn't know about the new sword on Gypsy? He is missing knowledge on basic weapon systems? Huh?
  • As above - if they are in telepathic communication, why are they always yelling at each other?
  • The ocean has some, um, interesting properties in this movie - first scene, they are 10+ miles out off Alaska, the water is deep enough for the kaiju to be completely submerged, but Gypsy looks to be knee deep.
  • See also, the entire battle in Hong Kong harbor.
  • Why is every battle at night, in the rain, or both?
Just lazy film making, in my opinion. Could have been so much better (and earned a sequel).
Your first point is addressed in the film. Jaegers are being defeated and the leaders thought the wall would be a better defense and stopped funding. Never mind what human history has taught us about hiding behind walls.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

mori wrote:Thought it was boring. Lost interest at the one hour mark and started to wander.
I've tried twice to watch it again and had the same reaction both times.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

It's a popcorn movie. You're not supposed to pay attention to the details! :D
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

My 11 year old has watched it many times and still loves it. He doesn't think about the details. I never thought it was a good movie. I'd much much rather watch Real Steel.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni