School shooting (elementary) in CT

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

deadzone

Re: School shooting (elementary) in CT

Post by deadzone »

IceBear wrote:Hearing reports that an entire class is unaccounted for
My god. That can't be true can it? It's crazy down there right now I hope this turns out to be nothing.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I'm with KKBlue....just can't look at it.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

:( So sad. So angry. How do people get so screwed up that they can massacre innocent children?

I understand and even agree with your "warning" Lawbeefaroni, still its hard to discuss this without talking guns. Its the 800 pound gorilla in the room.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Odin

Post by Odin »

This is horrific on so many levels. The families of those dead children and adults are going to be devastated, and the kids who survived this massacre are going to struggle with this for the rest of their lives, even as young as they are.

It may be time to implement the suicide booth. You want out? Go for it - just leave everybody else the hell alone.
WarPig

Post by WarPig »

tru1cy wrote:I'm having a very hard time with this
Same here, and I'm not sure why. Usually I can distance myself during incident like this, try to see things objectively, but this...hits home, for some reason. With my wife and I having so many issues trying to have children of our own, I guess kids are just on my mind.

Crap.
"Your test assignment will vary depending on the manner in which you have bent the world to your will." - Cave Johnson
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I can't understand what could drive a man to kill children. What could make you so angry that kids have to pay for your anger? I am not a religious person, but there are times when I hope there is a hell.
Black Lives Matter
CGMark

Post by CGMark »

Even having my daughter here being to young for school currently this is very disturbing.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

deadzone wrote:
IceBear wrote:Hearing reports that an entire class is unaccounted for
My god. That can't be true can it? It's crazy down there right now I hope this turns out to be nothing.
Well I am telling myself that unaccounted for just means they haven't checked in. They are saying it's a kindergarten class
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Last time I looked..27 dead....18 children. I hope that is wrong.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Press conference incoming. USA Today has a stream up for it.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

Both my girls are home this afternoon.

I may not ever let them out of the house again.

My heart breaks that we live in a world where things like this can happen. I am beyond sad for the children, adults, and families that are suffering this horrific tragedy. I just want to curl into a ball and cry. :cry:
If we shadows have offended, think but this and all is mended
That you have but slumber'd here while these visions did appear
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Press conference has started.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Isgrimnur wrote:Press conference incoming. USA Today has a stream up for it.
NBCNews.com has it too. CNN's stream wouldn't even load for me.

I'm literally shaking at my desk. This is horrific.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

For something like this, you'd think they'd disable ads before the video. That's just a bad association no matter the product.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

The one known shooter was 24, carrying four weapons and wearing black clothing and a bullet proof vest. He is dead, authorities told ABC News. Police continue to investigate if there was a second shooter involved.

Sounds like the parent angle may not be true. Then again they keep on changing things except for the number. I just want to go home and grab my kid from school right now. :(
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Holman

Post by Holman »

This is horrible. I've typed and erased a bunch of things. Just no words.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

That briefing was less than informative.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Holman wrote:This is horrible. I've typed and erased a bunch of things. Just no words.
I just posted almost this same sentence on Facebook.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Police only confirming shooter dead, site is secure, multiple fatalities, children confirmed among the dead.
"It's my manner, sir. It looks insubordinate, but it isn't, really."
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

I cannot imagine going to pick up my kids (heard they have them at a local firehouse) and not knowing if they are dead or alive.

Can. Not.
18-1™ & 2-0
MHS

Post by MHS »

I too am having a really hard time dealing with this. Crying off and on, trying really hard not to let go.

I wish I believed in god, only so that I could believe there really is a special hell for people who hurt children.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Odin

Post by Odin »

Trent Steel wrote:I cannot imagine going to pick up my kids (heard they have them at a local firehouse) and not knowing if they are dead or alive.

Can. Not.
Oh Jesus, I know, right? I'd be a total basket-case. I can't even wrap my mind around that scenario.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I really don't even want to think about it anymore. I mean seriously, what the hell could possibly make you do something like this? I think I should stop reading this for the rest of the day as I can't even focus on anything.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

My kids are sick so they are both home with their mom, which makes me feel better. Yes, I know it is irrational to fear for your kids about a rare incident in another state, but irrational fears go hand in hand with being a parent.

Terrible story, and the time of year it's happening is just the horrible icing on the cake. I'm sitting here at work having to deal with multiple issues trying not to dwell on this, but as a dad it's all I can think about right now.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

MHS wrote:I too am having a really hard time dealing with this.
Me too. I go from very sad to raging anger wondering why and how someone could do this to innocent children.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

I was having trouble dealing with this already and then someone pointed out all those families with houses full of presents for kids who will never open them...

Yeah. I think I'm done with work for the day. :(
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

YellowKing wrote:My kids are sick so they are both home with their mom, which makes me feel better. Yes, I know it is irrational to fear for your kids about a rare incident in another state, but irrational fears go hand in hand with being a parent.
My daughter is at daycare a block away. I fought off the urge to go in and hug her but just ran into another parent with a kid there and she said it is full of parents doing just that.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Exodor wrote:I was having trouble dealing with this already and then someone pointed out all those families with houses full of presents for kids who will never open them...

Yeah. I think I'm done with work for the day. :(
Holy shit that's just breaking my brain and heart.

Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

Exodor wrote:I was having trouble dealing with this already and then someone pointed out all those families with houses full of presents for kids who will never open them...
Ok... now my eyes are starting to get watery.

goddamn
18-1™ & 2-0
Mandeville

Post by Mandeville »

My wife teaches kindergarten. My kids are in 2nd and 3rd grade. I'm having an impossible time disassociating myself from this horror. I spent lunch listening to the radio as the news just gets worse and worse. I’m crushed and devastated for everyone suffering right now. I can not wait to get home and see my son and daughter. They are going to think I am crazy when I don’t let them go.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

dude :cry:
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

NBC now reporting the shooter's parent found dead in their home.

WTF
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Not that this wouldn't have hit me hard anyway but having my girl in kindergarten makes this story very hard to follow. For fucks sake it's an elementary school.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Grand_Director wrote:My wife teaches kindergarten. My kids are in 2nd and 3rd grade. I'm having an impossible time disassociating myself from this horror. I spent lunch listening to the radio as the news just gets worse and worse. I’m crushed and devastated for everyone suffering right now. I can not wait to get home and see my son and daughter. They are going to think I am crazy when I don’t let them go.
...and you're in CT, too.

When I worked in Glastonbury for four months back in 2004, I went through Newtown more than a few times on my way to NYC. Such a lovely, pastoral little town.
"It's my manner, sir. It looks insubordinate, but it isn't, really."
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

</humanity>
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Mandeville

Post by Mandeville »

triggercut wrote:
Grand_Director wrote:My wife teaches kindergarten. My kids are in 2nd and 3rd grade. I'm having an impossible time disassociating myself from this horror. I spent lunch listening to the radio as the news just gets worse and worse. I’m crushed and devastated for everyone suffering right now. I can not wait to get home and see my son and daughter. They are going to think I am crazy when I don’t let them go.
...and you're in CT, too.

When I worked in Glastonbury for four months back in 2004, I went through Newtown more than a few times on my way to NYC. Such a lovely, pastoral little town.
It is a nice place. My town is similar; small, neighborly, quiet. I just can't fathom that happening here but it can happen.
Rip

Post by Rip »

godhugh wrote:
Paingod wrote:
triggercut wrote:27 dead, 18 children, according to all networks now.
CNN's still saying "close to 20 slain" - which was upgraded from "2 killed" a few minutes ago.

This is un-f**king-believable. I'm very sad and very angry.

I expect laws to change somehow (and probably for the worse) because of this. I don't know how you can stop crazy people from getting guns. Even making them illegal will just mean crazy people have to do something illegal before they do something very illegal.
How about recognizing that we have an enormous problem with mental health care in this country? That's where the reforms need to start, IMO.

Absolutely horrible and tragic situation there. I can hardly believe the reports I'm seeing.
True and I support the idea. I fear though that most of the people that would do this would have to be identified and forced into help and would be unlikely to seek help if it were available on every corner.

To save making another post I would like to say I was having a great Friday until I got home for lunch and saw this. Now I just feel like weeping. I was watching the news but had to stop because I kept finding myself pacing around trying to imagine what these poor parents are going through. I don't know how I would manage to carry on.

:cry:
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Exodor wrote:NBC now reporting the shooter's parent found dead in their home.

WTF
Now updated: shooter's mother is the deceased and she worked at the school.

They IDed the shooter but I can't be fucked to give that piece of shit any more exposure than he's already going to get. :x
Rip

Post by Rip »

triggercut wrote:If the reports are true that nearly 100 rounds were fired from 2 handguns, I know where they can start.

I enjoy recreational shooting, but I sure can't wrap my head around any case being made for high capacity ammo magazines for civilian weapons.
Who said it was without reloading. I could easily fire 100 rounds from two revolvers in such close succession you wouldn't realize I had reloaded.

Story is about an evil person not evil guns.
deadzone

Post by deadzone »

http://www.ctpost.com/news/article/Sour ... 118505.php" target="_blank

29 dead - 22 children.

I can't believe this.