Netflix Original Series

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: Netflix Original Series

Post by Isgrimnur »

Looks like they generally get the new season in June.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Netflix just announced the casting for their live action Cowboy Bebop series.

- Spike: John Cho (wait, what?)
- Jet: Mustafa Shakir (the only one I can kinda see working)
- Faye: Daniella Pineda
- Vicious: Alex Hassell

At first glance, I'm not sure how they possibly could have gotten each of those characters any more wrong. :?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

More reason for me to actually finish watching the cartoon in the near future. Now that it's on Hulu, I've run out of excuses.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Yikes. I like John Cho and all, but there's nothing about him that says Spike to me.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Ranch will have at least two more 'parts' for Season 4.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Sepiche wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:28 pm Yikes. I like John Cho and all, but there's nothing about him that says Spike to me.
What, the wise cracking in the American Pie films and the sword fighting in the 2009 Star Trek didn't do it for you?
Hodor.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm happy to report that Sabrina part 2 is even more fun than part 1. If you liked Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel or any other Whedon-level show, this is for you.
Covfefe!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

BUT SOMEONE ELSE SAID I MUST WATCH THE OA AND NOW I'M HOOKED ON THAT!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:55 pm BUT SOMEONE ELSE SAID I MUST WATCH THE OA AND NOW I'M HOOKED ON THAT!
We are 5 episodes into season 2 and the first season was so normal by comparison. Sabrina is up next!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:55 pm BUT SOMEONE ELSE SAID I MUST WATCH THE OA AND NOW I'M HOOKED ON THAT!
Who ya gonna listen to, some random yahoos on the internet, or your old pal Hepcat? Huh?
Covfefe!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Why, both, of course.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Just finished up the final season of House of Cards and it was a frustrating watch. They seemed so casual about everything, especially for a series finale. I was expecting them to ramp up on the leads but they seemed so disinterested in playing that angle and in the end it seemed like she got her way? What a waste. It really wasn't a satisfying end to the series.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, I had to struggle to finish it myself...and immediately wondered why I bothered when the final credits rolled.
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

The thing that makes me mad about it is they introduced that stupid app storyline that was frankly uninteresting when they could have used that time to clamp down on the whole newspaper storyline and have it seriously catch up with her. Only, it was hinted at in the final episode, like it had been in earlier episodes with barely any progress. No follow-through. WTH? And I wasn't interested in hearing how Frank supposedly died. I was interested in hearing how the mounting evidence about what Frank had done was going to finally catch up to Claire and blow up in her face and throw her out of the White House. Nope, none of that happened. Was that house of cards made out of concrete? They had so many opportunities to tie up loose ends and get back on track and they blew it and it's not like they didn't know they were ending.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Just finished “After Life”, Ricky Gervais’ new show about managing depression in the face of tragedy. Thought it was fantastic, even though it was tough to watch. Losing my dad is still pretty fresh, and there were lots of scenes that absolutely wrecked me.

The portrayal of how everyday people deal with their challenges was remarkably touching and very well done. It probably won’t resonate with everyone (and didn’t, judging by the reviews), but I found it incredibly powerful. Maybe it was just my current frame of mind.

Two thumbs way up.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:29 pm Just finished “After Life”, Ricky Gervais’ new show about managing depression in the face of tragedy. Thought it was fantastic, even though it was tough to watch.
I loved it. I don't think it's Ricky's funniest show (though funny) - but I think it's his best show. I think he is mulling a second season, which I don't think would work. On the other hand, I would love to see the characters and village again. It's a beautiful, funny, sad, sweet show.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

JCC wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:18 pm I think he is mulling a second season, which I don't think would work.
Yeah, I have a really hard time seeing where they could go with it after the way things ended. Which, I'll admit, was a little sappy, but very sweet. The ending conversation in the graveyard made my room awfully dusty.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Not a series but I watched 13th yesterday and found it to be fascinating and more than a little depressing at the same time. Highly recommend watching it.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

rittchard wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:57 pm
coopasonic wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:41 pm We should be starting OA season 2 tonight. We really enjoyed the first season and are looking forward to it.
I'm really interested to hear what you (and Zaxx eventually lol) think, particularly coming from someone who liked the first season.
We finished the second season last night. I enjoyed it and my wife was mostly confused. I explained what I could to her, but there is a still a good bit of mystery. Obviously it goes a lot further (and odder) than the first season. The first season was just setting the stage. Reportedly the creators have a five season arc in mind and I am very interested in seeing where they plan on taking this.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

And the award for the MOST determined zombie ever goes to...……zombie dude from Black Summer episode 4!!!
There are things in this series that make some of the stupid shit they pull on the Walking Dead look genius. A couple of nice turns, but still.
So far the only thing I can see the 2 series have in common is after each episode I sit here wondering why the hell I'm still watching.....
He/Him/His/Porcupine
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

stimpy wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:12 pm And the award for the MOST determined zombie ever goes to...……zombie dude from Black Summer episode 4!!!
There are things in this series that make some of the stupid shit they pull on the Walking Dead look genius. A couple of nice turns, but still.
So far the only thing I can see the 2 series have in common is after each episode I sit here wondering why the hell I'm still watching.....
LMAO

I just finished the first season of Black Summer and often wondered the same thing, particularly the first two episodes. But all in all I enjoyed it, particularly Ep 4 (I think that's the one I'm thinking, with the cute chubby guy Lance?). Run Lance Run!!!! For those that care, this is a more "realistic" zombie show at the earlier stages, somewhat reminiscent of season 1 of Fear TWD. They like to do the thing where you play out the same time/event from different perspectives, so if you like that sort of thing it can be a fun watch. If you don't you will hate it lol.

I'm a little annoyed the "season" was so short, because they spent so much time in a kind of intro mode to the characters, including multiple deaths, that it was difficult to become even the slightest bit attached. So it really wasn't until that 4th episode where I took a liking to poor chubby Lance, who spent the entire ep being hounded by the same zombie, making for some pretty funny moments. I really felt bad for the guy, even though he kept doing really stupid things.

The most annoying thing for me was the Korean girl who supposedly didn't speak any english. I hate it when they do this in shows, but they'll have a foreigner keep yapping in their native tongue when they know no one understands them. It's freaking annoying as hell. I mean come on, at least try to learn some really basic words and use sign language or gestures or drawings or anything to convey meaning, instead of just talking what everyone else perceives as gibberish. Or else just shut the f up!

- - -

Oh yeah, also finished Sabrina Season 2. And WOW was it fantastic, like Buffy-esque fantastic. The first half of the season was a little mundane but they just go all out in the second half. Excited to hear they were already picked up for 2 more seasons.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Because you've never seen an African yelling in English in a foreign country when under duress? Did you curse the locals for not knowing English? Centric much.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

tjg_marantz wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:15 pm Because you've never seen an African yelling in English in a foreign country when under duress? Did you curse the locals for not knowing English? Centric much.
lol I'm talking about watching a TV show that's about surviving in the middle of a zombie apocalypse. It added nothing to the show to have a character repeatedly speaking and yelling at the other characters when she knew they didn't understand, both under duress and not. And no, it did not make it feel more realistic to me. My complaint is that it felt gimmicky to me, and this is not the first show that I've seen use this type of device.
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

Finished Black Summer. I wasn't expecting to binge it all in one week, but I did. It was compelling and a good enough story that I wanted to keep going. That marks it as a good show for me. It was not as good as the first couple of seasons of Walking Dead, but it is much better than the recent seasons.

I liked it and recommend it.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Torfish wrote:Finished Black Summer. I wasn't expecting to binge it all in one week, but I did. It was compelling and a good enough story that I wanted to keep going. That marks it as a good show for me. It was not as good as the first couple of seasons of Walking Dead, but it is much better than the recent seasons.

I liked it and recommend it.
Finished it yesterday. If you get to episode 5, you can get to the end pretty quick. Episodes 6 through 8 run 30, 25 and 20 minutes.

Enjoyed it. It's silly fun and they make stupid decisions but it's still enjoyable if you don't think too much on it.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Just finished up the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. I guess it's now "Hail Lilith!" Glad it was renewed.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
JCC

Post by JCC »

$iljanus wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:20 pm Just finished up the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. I guess it's now "Hail Lilith!" Glad it was renewed.
I was taken aback at how violent the show got towards the end. Not that I am squeamish about violence but I am amazed the show has a TV-14 rating. Anyway, I liked the show much more than I would have ever expected. Of course it's mainly the Brits I have seen in other things that engaged me the most. Michelle Gomez playing witchy, American Missy was fantastic. I look forward to seeing where it goes next. While I find the young actress who plays Sabrina likeable, I think she is the weak link as far as acting ability goes on that show. Too often (to me) she sounds like she is reading lines in a high school play.

EDIT: Oh, and I also find Sabrina (the character) very unlikeable at times. I get she's the protagonist of the show, but far too often she comes off as this know it all, I can solve everything character.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The Boys

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Amazon, yo.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

JCC wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:20 pm
$iljanus wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:20 pm Just finished up the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. I guess it's now "Hail Lilith!" Glad it was renewed.
I was taken aback at how violent the show got towards the end. Not that I am squeamish about violence but I am amazed the show has a TV-14 rating. Anyway, I liked the show much more than I would have ever expected. Of course it's mainly the Brits I have seen in other things that engaged me the most. Michelle Gomez playing witchy, American Missy was fantastic. I look forward to seeing where it goes next. While I find the young actress who plays Sabrina likeable, I think she is the weak link as far as acting ability goes on that show. Too often (to me) she sounds like she is reading lines in a high school play.

EDIT: Oh, and I also find Sabrina (the character) very unlikeable at times. I get she's the protagonist of the show, but far too often she comes off as this know it all, I can solve everything character.
The actress also tends to overact at times. It can be a bit distracting. Thankfully the supporting cast makes up for it.

I’m on episode 7 of season 2 now. It really is my pick for most entertaining show on Netflix for the last couple of years. Dorian Gray is becoming one of my favorite characters on the show. Who knew.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

JCC wrote:
I do like when her friends and family call her on her shit. But she also seems to realize when she's wrong eventually and the last scene of the season makes me excited about watching the next chilling adventures of Sabrina and her gang of friends.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Apparently letting a show run for 3 seasons is their signature move.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It’s the Nickelodeon method.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well crap. They ended it on a scene that could be seen as closure or a cliffhanger, so it isn’t too bad. But I wouldn’t have said no to another season or two of Abby and Eric. They proved to be the strong points of the series for me.
Covfefe!
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Just finished Black Summer, the wife and I called it The Running Dead. It was decent, had the traditional people doing really stupid things moments but we enjoyed it. At 8 episodes from 25 to 45 minutes each it's not like it'll eat up a crazy amount of your time.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

Finished OA season 2. Episode 1-7 were decent. Not better than season 1. The last episode and scenes were really crazy. I'm trying to absorb if the ending makes the first seven episodes better. I may need to re-watch sometime. Interested to hear what others thought.

Next up is the movie Extremely wicked, shockingly evil and vile. Looks good.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Had anyone been watching the new animated series Tuca & Bertie? It’s from the artist (and producer?) of BoJack Horseman. It’s about two birds who are best friends. The first episode was just ok, but it has gotten better every episode since. I like BoJack Horseman, but T&B is weirder, less depressing, and, IMO, more consistently funny.
Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 10:42 am Had anyone been watching the new animated series Tuca & Bertie? It’s from the artist (and producer?) of BoJack Horseman. It’s about two birds who are best friends. The first episode was just ok, but it has gotten better every episode since. I like BoJack Horseman, but T&B is weirder, less depressing, and, IMO, more consistently funny.
I have it on my to watch list so good to hear that it should be worth my time.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Watching The Society now. It's sort of a cross between The 100, Under The Dome and Lost, and I guess Lord of the Flies. A bunch of high school students end up trapped in their home town completely isolated from the rest of civilization and unable to communicate with the outside, so they start to form their own society. The premise is interesting and most of the actors are attractive and appealing in their own way. Thus far it's been holding my attention well, and it will be interesting to see if they head on a more sci-fi type of path or stick with the "examination of human nature and society" aspect.