Netflix Original Series

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Pyperkub

Re: Netflix Original Series

Post by Pyperkub »

tjg_marantz wrote:Finished Black Mirror. Starting Mindhunter.

Happy weekend lol
I got really stuck with Mindhunter around episode 6/7 and didn't finish s1. The tone really shifted in a way that totally turned me off. Loved it before then however.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Pyperkub wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:35 pm

Happy weekend lol
I got really stuck with Mindhunter around episode 6/7 and didn't finish s1. The tone really shifted in a way that totally turned me off. Loved it before then however.
Same here. Need to push through and wrap it up at some point.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Skinypupy wrote:

Happy weekend lol
Can you explain in spoiler free manner?

Guessing you mean it gets personal and he has to catch someone? It am I off base?

Edit: I mean that the middle is interviews with killers and then it goes personal? That's what I'm guessing.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

tjg_marantz wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:49 pm
Skinypupy wrote:

Happy weekend lol
Can you explain in spoiler free manner?

Guessing you mean it gets personal and he has to catch someone? It am I off base?

Edit: I mean that the middle is interviews with killers and then it goes personal? That's what I'm guessing.
For me, the main problem was the lead playing Holden. He is the most wooden actor I have ever seen. EVER. Watching him grew to be like nails on a chalkboard as he reacted to every single situation exactly the same. I just couldn't watch him anymore...which was a shame, as many of the other actors were really fantastic.

Outside of the lead actor, I simply got bored with it all. Once they moved away from the killer interviews (which were all great), all the other stories were just simply dull. I really just didn't much care about any of them, and quit watching as a result.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Gotcha. Thanks for the heads up.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Season 3 of Stranger Things will only have 8 episodes (as opposed to nine in season 2). Probably a wise move to tighten it the hell up.
What else do we know about Season 3? Not much, although series co-creators the Duffer Brothers did previously confirm that the action would jump ahead a year (presumably) to 1985, when Goonies and Back to the Future were all the rage. “Even if we wanted to hop into the action faster, we couldn’t,” Matt Duffer told THR. “Our kids are aging. We can only write and produce the show so fast. They’re going to be almost a year older by the time we start shooting Season 3… [so] it forces you to do a time jump.”
Maybe next year, maybe no go
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I finished the first season of Peaky Blinders. I took a few episodes to get into it, but I'm thoroughly hooked. I was not expecting 6-episode seasons though. What the hell is that about?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Anyone else watching Dark? It is not the best ever, but has its hooks in me.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

McNutt wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:22 pm I was not expecting 6-episode seasons though. What the hell is that about?
This is from 2015, but if you extrapolate the trend... 10 Episodes Is the New 13 (Was the New 22)
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:35 pm Anyone else watching Dark? It is not the best ever, but has its hooks in me.

I watched the first two or three episodes and enjoyed them (although, they were, uh, dark), but have since got sidetracked by season two of The Expanse. I'll get back to it as some point.
Black Lives Matter
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Holy moly the expanse is on netflix?
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Prime.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:58 pm Season 3 of Stranger Things will only have 8 episodes (as opposed to nine in season 2). Probably a wise move to tighten it the hell up.
What else do we know about Season 3? Not much, although series co-creators the Duffer Brothers did previously confirm that the action would jump ahead a year (presumably) to 1985, when Goonies and Back to the Future were all the rage. “Even if we wanted to hop into the action faster, we couldn’t,” Matt Duffer told THR. “Our kids are aging. We can only write and produce the show so fast. They’re going to be almost a year older by the time we start shooting Season 3… [so] it forces you to do a time jump.”
But if they only had 8 episodes for this past season then they wouldn't have had time for the field trip to the post-apocalyptic city.
Black Lives Matter.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:20 pm For me, the main problem was the lead playing Holden. He is the most wooden actor I have ever seen. EVER. Watching him grew to be like nails on a chalkboard as he reacted to every single situation exactly the same. I just couldn't watch him anymore...which was a shame, as many of the other actors were really fantastic.

Outside of the lead actor, I simply got bored with it all. Once they moved away from the killer interviews (which were all great), all the other stories were just simply dull. I really just didn't much care about any of them, and quit watching as a result.
I know this is going back in time a month, but I think part of the story is how he doesn't react to things like you'd expect a normal person to. He is wired differently and in a way I identify with so you should probably stay the hell away.There is some payoff on this later (in the show, not with me).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yup, Holden is not completely stable. Part of the show's point is that he finds the line between himself and those he studies to be less tangible than he believed. I think that plays into the perception that to truly understand these sick individuals, you have to be able to think like them. I believe that's become Profiler 101 on most tv crime procedurals.
Covfefe!
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I'm on season 2 of Peaky Blinders and had a hard time watching a certain scene:
Spoiler:
Campbell rapes Polly to let her son out of prison. Holy crap that was brutal. Sam Neil and Helen McCrory are freaking fantastic actors and that scene nearly turned my stomach. I hate Campbell so much and God bless Sam Neil for nailing that role.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Not a series, but watched A Stupid and Futile Gesture today. It's a biopic about the National Lampoon creator, going through the creation of the magazine, to the radio show, and then production of movies like Animal House and Caddyshack. I thought it was done really well. The actors they chose to play the counterparts of Jim Belushi, Bill Murray, Chevy Chase and Rodney Dangerfield were pretty good. The Rodney counterpart sounded and looked the part so much, it was uncanny. At first I thought the Murray counterpart didn't look or sound much like him, but then there's a scene where he's singing and yeah, nailed it too. Thought this was a lot of fun.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:35 pm Santa Clarita Diet Season 2 approved
Season 2 will premiere in 2018.

March 23rd.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I probably need to get around to watching Santa Clarita Diet. WHile I have a huge mancrush on Olyphant, I usually can't stand Drew Barrymore.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Has Nailed It been mentioned yet? It’s a baking show that takes three average people and tries to have them create these cakes that are immaculate works of art.

I haven’t laughed that hard at a TV show in a long time. It’s a damn shame that only 6 episodes are available.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sabrina
Netflix is expanding the world of Riverdale.

The streaming giant, which has SVOD rights to The CW Archie Comics drama, will grow that universe by adding its untitled Sabrina the Teenage Witch take from Riverdale mastermind Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa.

The series, originally developed for The CW, moved to Netflix with a two-season, 20-episode, straight-to-series order in December.
The series imagines the origin and adventures of Sabrina the Teenage Witch as a dark coming-of-age story that traffics in horror, the occult and, of course, witchcraft. Tonally in the vein of Rosemary’s Baby and The Exorcist, this adaptation finds Sabrina wrestling to reconcile her dual nature — half-witch, half-mortal — while standing against the evil forces that threaten her, her family and the daylight world humans inhabit.
Sabrina (Kiernan Shipka)
The Mad Men grad will star as Sabrina Spellman, an empowered young woman, half-human, half-witch, who is just beginning her dark education as a sorceress, even as she tries to maintain a normal life as a sophomore at Baxter High. Intelligent, compassionate and brave to the point of recklessness, Sabrina is all that stands between us and the forces of darkness that threaten our world.
Hilda (Lucy Davis)

Wonder Woman's Davis will take on the role of Hilda Spellman, one of Sabrina's two witch aunts. More nurturing than Zelda, Hilda's motherly nature and warm sense of humor belie a wicked, ghoulish streak. She's is as adept at brewing spite jars against her family's enemies as she is at concocting love potions for the students at Baxter High.

Zelda (Miranda Otto)

The Lord of the Rings alum is set as Zelda Spellman, Sabrina's stern witch aunt. Proud and devout, Zelda believes there is no greater honor than serving the Dark Lord as a member of the Church of Night. She is the family’s disciplinarian, fiercely protective of Sabrina, and very much Cain to Hilda’s Abel.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The first episode of S2 of Santa Clarita Diet had me laughing several times, which is no mean feat for most comedies these days.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:58 pm Season 3 of Stranger Things will only have 8 episodes (as opposed to nine in season 2). Probably a wise move to tighten it the hell up.
Also a good way to save money after giving everyone a raise.
The biggest, proportionally speaking, is going to the core cast of child actors, who are reportedly making as much as $250,000 an episode, about 12 times what they made in the first two seasons of the show. But Finn Wolfhard, Gaten Matarazzo, Caleb McLaughlin, and Noah Schnapp are actually in the "B tier" as far as compensation is concerned, with the show's adult cast members Winona Ryder and David Harbour making up the A tier, earning up to $350,000 per third season installment. Then there's the C tier: The show's lineup of older teens, Natalia Dyer, Charlie Heaton, and Joe Keery, who are said to be making about 150 grand per ep.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:00 am The first episode of S2 of Santa Clarita Diet had me laughing several times, which is no mean feat for most comedies these days.
Ditto. Olyphant is comedy gold. I'm still not so hot on Barrymore, but everyone else is just firing on all cylinders.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It was nice to see Jonathan Slavin from Better Off Ted. IMDB suggests it was a one-off appearance, which is disappointing. Apparently, I should go watch Dr. Ken to get my fix.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Spoiler:
Santa Clarita Diet @SCDiet

Did someone say Season 3?
GuidoTKP

Post by GuidoTKP »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:10 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:20 pm For me, the main problem was the lead playing Holden. He is the most wooden actor I have ever seen. EVER. Watching him grew to be like nails on a chalkboard as he reacted to every single situation exactly the same. I just couldn't watch him anymore...which was a shame, as many of the other actors were really fantastic.

I know this is going back in time a month, but I think part of the story is how he doesn't react to things like you'd expect a normal person to. He is wired differently and in a way I identify with so you should probably stay the hell away.There is some payoff on this later (in the show, not with me).
I loooooooved Mind Hunter. I understand the criticism of the Holden performance, but like others have said, they are trying to show how the guy is wired different and there is definitely an arc that runs through the end of the season. I don't think you're supposed to love Holden. But I thought they really nailed what they were going after.
"All I can ever think of when I see BBT is, "that guy f***ed Angelina Jolie? Seriously?" Then I wonder if Angelina ever wakes up in the middle of the night to find Brad Pitt in the shower, huddled in a corner furiously scrubbing at his d*** and going, 'I can't get the smell of Billy Bob off of this thing.' Then I try to think of something, anything, else." --Brian

"Would you go up to a girl in a bar and say 'Pardon me, miss, but before I spend a lot of time chatting you up, and buying you drinks, I'd like to know if you do anal. Because if not, that's a deal-breaker for me.'"
-- Mr. Fed
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Deadline
Netflix has unlocked a premiere date for the sixth season of Orange Is the New Black, the women’s-prison dramedy starring Taylor Schilling. The new episodes — taglined “Bye bye, Litchfield — it’s a whole new world!” — will go live on the streamer on Friday, July 27.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

msteelers wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:34 am Has Nailed It been mentioned yet? It’s a baking show that takes three average people and tries to have them create these cakes that are immaculate works of art.

I haven’t laughed that hard at a TV show in a long time. It’s a damn shame that only 6 episodes are available.
Thanks for the recommendation. That was awesome. I hear they're casting for season 2.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Hrothgar wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:16 am
msteelers wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:34 am Has Nailed It been mentioned yet? It’s a baking show that takes three average people and tries to have them create these cakes that are immaculate works of art.

Thanks for the recommendation. That was awesome. I hear they're casting for season 2.
Mrs. Skinypupy makes wedding cakes and birthday cakes as a hobby (and sometimes for a little $$). They're similar to the professional stuff you see on the show. This was her last one:

She didn't find the Nailed It show very funny because most of the intricate work on those professional cakes probably takes a team of people a full day (or more) to do. Giving someone 30 minutes to replicate that level of effort and expertise, then trashing them because they couldn't do so just didn't seem very funny to her.

I found it hilarious, but thought that was an interesting point of view from someone with lots of experience.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:12 pm

Mrs. Skinypupy makes wedding cakes and birthday cakes as a hobby (and sometimes for a little $$). They're similar to the professional stuff you see on the show. This was her last one:

She didn't find the Nailed It show very funny because most of the intricate work on those professional cakes probably takes a team of people a full day (or more) to do. Giving someone 30 minutes to replicate that level of effort and expertise, then trashing them because they couldn't do so just didn't seem very funny to her.

I found it hilarious, but thought that was an interesting point of view from someone with lots of experience.
I mean, the whole point is that they're asking them to do something that is essentially impossible and then seeing who comes the closest (and laughing along the way). It's not like they're like "how'd you screw that up, you idiot?!" It's more like "LOL good effort".

Anyway, tell your wife that a guy on the internet said that you're right and she's wrong.
Black Lives Matter.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

We enjoyed the premise, but the central host was way too loud and overly obnoxious.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:37 pm I mean, the whole point is that they're asking them to do something that is essentially impossible and then seeing who comes the closest (and laughing along the way). It's not like they're like "how'd you screw that up, you idiot?!" It's more like "LOL good effort".
I will agree with her that their criticisms can sometimes get a bit too mean-spirited for such a silly premise. Such is the nature of the show, I suppose.
Anyway, tell your wife that a guy on the internet said that you're right and she's wrong.
Which is the closest I've come to winning an argument in 20+ years. ;)
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Paingod wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:49 pm

We enjoyed the premise, but the central host was way too loud and overly obnoxious.
I thought she made the show. I'm surprised by the mean-spirited comments. The show could easily have fallen into mean-spirited territory, but I thought she did a great job of laughing at the cakes without criticizing the individual. The wrong host could have doomed the show from the start.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

msteelers wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:59 pm I thought she made the show. I'm surprised by the mean-spirited comments.
Saying you think a show host is too loud and obnoxious isn't really mean spirited. It's an opinion. I felt like she wanted to pull attention away from the contestants and lavish herself with it. I just didn't dig it. Especially the gimmicky "Let me annoy someone" button, where she cranked it up to 11.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

We watched the first two episodes of NAILED IT last night and I dd find the host highly annoying. Loved the judges though. However, I didn't find it particularly funny. Not because I felt it was mean-spirited (didn't get that vibe at all), but because the contestants are pretty much pre-disposed to failure so it was hard for me to find the humor in an expected outcome.

On the other hand, the Queer Eye reboot is fantastic. Watched the first episode and was surprised at how emotional it was. It also helps you realize that you're a slob that needs to get your shit together. :D
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Ranch season 5 3A drops today. These will apparently be the last episodes with Danny Masterson, who will be written out when 3B is released this fall.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:34 am On the other hand, the Queer Eye reboot is fantastic. Watched the first episode and was surprised at how emotional it was. It also helps you realize that you're a slob that needs to get your shit together. :D
I made my piece with that fact a loooooooooong time ago.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Finished up Part 5 of The Ranch last night. It leaves some interesting hooks for Part 6. Danny Masterson is out, and there's a reason for his character to be gone. The end of the season has some interesting developments between Sam Elliott's and Ashton Kutcher's character. And apparently Dax Shepard will be joining Part 6 in the fall.